• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Video Update

C

Cal_Mythic

Yes, it's done. So why isn't it out? The answer to a "Why" question at the Academy is "No Excuse." So let's just go with that.

The intent was to frame several subjects about what we are doing for the remainder of the year in a few short minutes. Between editing and all the things that have happened between January 3rd and now, the answers have not changed, but the method in which we broadcast has many times.

Anyway, you are only waiting for one answer so here I am with flame-retardant mutant suit to field questions and avoid pitchforks.

The answer is: not right now.

In constant review of the threads and other fansites that cater to Ultima Online, we realized that the classic shard comes down to a checklist. It becomes about if you have X rules then this is what a classic shard is. The problem with this is, when working inside this constraint it’s impossible to please everyone.

Also, we DID look into the possibilities of different rulesets and took a look at what had been done in the past, and there was no viable answer that works for everyone.

Finally, it’s about opportunity cost. The more resources and time we spend on developing a classic shard… that is ONE single shard, that means other things get neglected. It would be many months of work at the expense of the wider game.

We are planning a Video House of Commons for next Tuesday, March 1st to field any questions about the coming months, Magincia as a player-driven town, Spring Cleaning, faster/simpler story arcs, arenas, UOgamecode store, shard hardware, and other topics of note.

The reason I did not want to put this in writing is because it doesn't allow you to "see" how we feel about the game, and this answer is only part of what we want to do with Ultima Online.

Well, there you go. Have at it.

C

Cal_Mythic

Well some of us were looking forward to an update about the enhanced client. I feel badly for the classic shard crusaders but it doesn't interest me personally.

Is the video still coming?
Yup.

C

Cal_Mythic

Thank you. At first I was really hoping for a classic shard, but then as I thought about it I like doing champ spawns and I like peerlesses, which wouldn't be in a classic shard. If everyone who wanted a classic shard wanted "just 2 things" that isn't considered classic then well it wouldn't be classic.

I will be the first, and most definatly not the last, to say I am very dissapointed in the lack of communication over everything, and the fact that it seems impossible for deadlines to be hit when it comes to UO, but I would like to say THANK YOU for at least communicating why the video hasn't been posted and communication on the classic shard. Although there will be a LOT of dissapointed people I hope that if they sit back and think about the reasons why they will at least understand.

Indeed. I personally wanted to tell the single answer sooner BUT in scope with an answer to ... "Well if you are NOT going to do that ... what ARE you going to do?"

And yes, I do feel the frustration too of not hitting messaging deadlines.

In three years as part of this game and removing barriers to getting things done you would think we'd get better at this, but it remains an "opportunity for improvement" as they say in the Human Resources world.

- C

C

Cal_Mythic

Is that a good thing or a bad thing in regards to the future of UO? Or were you all simply pulled into another project temporarily and are now back to working full-time on UO.
If Magincia becomes Luna II, then just leave it as it is, please. A player-driven town to me at this point is the major Luna vendors trying to get the best spots so they can throw up horrid-looking housing that exists solely for vendors.

Besides, there was a good reason in Ultima lore why Magincia was destroyed and rebuilt, and if it's rebuilt with player housing within it, it will become what it was originally destroyed for.
Save questions like this for the Video HoC ... too much to write down on this one.

- C

C

Cal_Mythic

Thank you Cal for at least coming out and putting the classic shard to rest, now those who have been paying for the game in hopes of such a thing can move on, I won't say to another game, because honestly there isn't another game like UO in it's classic days, or at the most there are poor imitations.

My best advice to my fellow classic shard friends is to hop on a free shard that interests you and make the best of it, but again Cal I appreciate you just coming out and giving the verdict, it was a good thing of you to do.
Well ... thanks for bringing this up. The stuff that did NOT make it into the video.

We researched a LOT! That is client options, outsourcing, and multiple "What if scenarios." And those *cough* other places to play.

How do we handle folks leaving the live shards to investigate the new one? How do we support it with the rest of the production shards? How will we update it?

Also, at that time UO was a Mature-rated game. There were things that we cannot do in this new age of ESRB (e.g. when was the last time you turned in the severed head of another player for bounty or skinned a cat leaving it on someone's doorstep?)

UO then was a new world that was on the verge of something unlike anyone else has seen since. I can tell you I got a bit of "gospel" being around the devs and folks of GDC who are zealots for this game. I found out how this game has inspired people to even become game developers.

We are going to do our best to bring the spirit of what the community has been asking for back.

C

Cal_Mythic

I know I'm gonna get dinged on this one, but am I understanding we are gonna have a live video chat to discuss when the video message is gonna be released? Or is the live video chat replacing that video? We can do a live video on this short of a notice, but can't do a recorded video in two months?
Does said video even really exist?
Damn I'm confused *shakes head*
Hey Uriah!
I won't tell you what I was told about when [the video] is going to post because it may end up just making me a big fibber!

No the Video HoC is not in lieu of the video update. The Video House of Commons is so we can have some real-time interaction with the community about all the stuff we're planning in more detail.

Again, we didn't want to just throw this thing up and not give a method for everyone to express what they think about our decision.

Also, it did take forever to get this out there, so we want to give you a bit more info.

- C

C

Cal_Mythic

Sooo... Not really a no, but definitely not a yes.... Cal, did you go to school to learn politician speak, or is that a natural gift for prevarication you have?

So, translated, this is what you really meant:

And really, a video HC before ‘The Video’ ™ comes out? REALLY?!

Just make sure that Mark isn’t guzzling a beer in this one like last time.

Thank you for some kind of message though. Might want to post something to the Herald saying this though. No reason to keep the fun contained to Stratics…

Yeah, he got a lot of hate on the beer. That will not happen.

I hear ya on the broader postings too.

And no I am not a politician nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express, but I have spent some time in Tokyo, and the manner in which an answer is given is very important.

I like you, Martyna. You remind me of one of my favorite relatives. The one who yells at you for not eating while shoving a plate of food in your face. :)

- C

C

Cal_Mythic

Sorry guy.
Wasn't trying to bust your chops, really. There's just been so much todo over this video.
Classic shard, while I would have played it, wasn't a make or break for me nor most of my gang, I don't think.

But, I do have a suggestion, albeit an odd one perhaps. I think if you analyze what people have asked for in a classic shard, one thing you would probably find is that the vast majority were in agreement pre-AoS.
Can we meet halfway? Perhaps, instead of a whole new ruleset, start phasing out some of the numbers? I'm not holding much hope for this, since the BR Golems introduced a few new sets of numbers to track, but perhaps you can give it a thought.
In the old days, you could highlight an item and it said:
A surpassingly accurate silver broadsword of vanquishing.

Now, when you highlight anything, the descriptor box takes up the whole screen! (exaggerated to make a point :p) So if we are not going to go back, can we go forward in perhaps a simpler manner?
What you suggest is option #27 or something like that ... if we do this it's gotta be done right or not at all so right now it's not at all.

And no worries man, I'm not bulletproof but you guys have definitely toughened my skin over the last few years.

- C