• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Vet vs. magery question

old gypsy

Grand Poobah
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
I know we can heal pets with magery, but can they also be rezed with magery? I'm wondering because I'd like to incorporate another skill on my seldom-used tamer's template, but in order to do it, I'd have to soulstone the vet skill.

Daga Taga

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Nope. Vet skill or use the Vet at the stables to rez your pet. I think the one at the stables cost gold and has a cool down though.

old gypsy

Grand Poobah
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Nope. Vet skill or use the Vet at the stables to rez your pet. I think the one at the stables cost gold and has a cool down though.
Many thanks for clearing that up for me. I may just leave my pets in the stable during those times when I need to switch skills for a while.

jeza

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I never found practical healing with magic personally.Except when it's an occasional heal but mostly the pet deals easily.
Otherwise you are just casting heal and can't do anything else. you are also frozen and have little mana left.
I don't really see a PVM tamer without vet ... or maybe magery+S and high MR ?

Aibal

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
With the developers love fest with bosses that cast AOE spells, I rarely try to vet anymore, mostly using mage healing. I never have issues with running out of mana, and manage to throw plenty of offensive spells as well. Get a good suit together with 15+ MR, 40 LMC, and you shouldn't have any issues keeping them alive and having plenty of mana.

Vor

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have vet. But I never use it. Always use Greater Healing/Arch Cure. I've never had mana problems, both are relativly low mana costing, and if you've got high int/mana, high MR and max LMC you'll be fine.

Last edited:

jeza

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
True that with those blasted AOE I have to stand back and use magery to heal too, I end with very little mana left, but luckily I'm peace tamer and I don't use magery except for hiding.
Still I can't use the bard masterie spells and heal with magery at the same time or I loose all my mana, so I still prefer using vet when I can, but I see your point :)
I could try to find gear with more MR/LMC, will probably do so in the futur, but still, I'll never stone vet on my main tamer as magery doesn't help when youhave to rez the pet.

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I still run with vet on every tamer. Area effect is a pain, but casting 100% isn't the only option to deal with it. You can be strategic and mix the two :) I try to just cast at the start when the monster is pumping out the max damage and it's more hazardous to approach it. Then as my mana goes down (no med) I'll move into bandage range, slap on a bandie and back off. Step in-->bandie-->step back. Yes, there's a chance I might be up close when an area effect goes off, but there's as much chance that it won't. If I'm in a group I tell the pets to stop-follow back to me where I vet them back up and throw them into the fight again. The closer to death the spawn is, the braver I am with vetting, because even if a target switches to me I can stand up to the damage and vet as needed. I can also use my mana to attack the spawn rather than heal my pets. Heck, I'v used swords of prosperity a lot just to give spawn a slap for auto-defending onto me :D

If my pets are really struggling, I tell them to stop/follow and walk away from the spawn with them in tow. I vet as I walk. This helps because it keeps the pets out of melee range of the spawn but they can still be healed. Spawn can still cast, but at least you've cut down the damage they're taking. It won't suit every situation, but it's another tactic tamers can use. It's handy if you need to chip away at a bigger spawn that your pets couldn't stand up to for long periods. If my pets got lured onto, this was my favourite tactic for keeping them alive while they took down the spawn party.

I'm not afraid to take damage while I vet, I equip myself to deal with that. If I need to back off and heal or hide/invis to break target then I do it. Nothing I've encountered hasn't worked with how I vet, sometimes it's chaos and everything goes wrong but I like trying my luck lol. It's no fun if success is guaranteed!

Being able to rez your own pets mid battle makes vet priceless, not relying on NPCs and town travel whenever something dies is equally worthwhile. Particularly if you travel quite far from recall points. Otherwise you have time spent getting to the NPC, waiting to get your pet rez and travel time back to the spawn. I know some folk swear that magery is enough, but I'd say try it and keep vet on a soulstone. And never think vet is just about slapping bandadges on a pet while standing right beside it. As above, you can find your own tactics for making the skill work.

Wenchy