• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Valentine's Day Gifts

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Yep. Another skipped year, as I said last year, how much trouble could it have been to throw a switch and give us a gift from years ago? Nothing new, at least recycle the good ones...

SugarMMM

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I'm kinda OK with that because it is a Hallmark holiday and I really don't have anymore room for stuffs.
But the hoarder side of me is all upset about it!

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Yep. Another skipped year, as I said last year, how much trouble could it have been to throw a switch and give us a gift from years ago? Nothing new, at least recycle the good ones...
Exactly. I mean they crank out art every week for EM events. Take a cannon and adjust the color and slap a name on it and there ya go. A white Valentine heart box or whatever. Take one of the old bears and make it red. Disappointing

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
I'm kinda OK with that because it is a Hallmark holiday and I really don't have anymore room for stuffs.
But the hoarder side of me is all upset about it!
Christmas is a Hallmark holiday to me so there ya go. I not pushing for president's day or anything. Just keep some long standing traditions alive.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The sad thing is that there's unused Valentinesish art just sitting in the client from a few publishes ago...

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Chocolate covered Strawberries and/or a Whitman Sampler

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Yeah I was kinda hopin they'd use that graphic for the new jewelry box! :)

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Does this make cupids arrow more valuable?

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
What does Valentine's Day have to do with UO? Nothing. Who cares. I don't even acknowledge the "holiday" in RL. :flame:

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Valentines has been something in UO since the dawn... we've gotten Valentines gifts for year... but whatever. F' the player base... give crap to be "rare" to the rares community and F everyone else who can't attend events... whatever... think anyone will notice? Did they last Easter??? You bet...

More and more they alienate the playerbase and disappoint them.... the more they will see people closing their accounts and not coming back. But by all means keep it up... Keep catering to the rares lovers, keep catering to the "top" players and forget everyone else.... keep making things a boring grind... keep rewarding the few and ignoring the many... soon the many will be gone.

Larisa

Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Well we just got ours on Origin...looks like another rare's collectors dream..gotta get the whole set! lol

OriginHeart.jpg

Luc of Legends

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
So, did we or didn't we get something or was just another event thing that I missed?

Bobar

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Valentines has been something in UO since the dawn... we've gotten Valentines gifts for year... but whatever. F' the player base... give crap to be "rare" to the rares community and F everyone else who can't attend events... whatever... think anyone will notice? Did they last Easter??? You bet...

More and more they alienate the playerbase and disappoint them.... the more they will see people closing their accounts and not coming back. But by all means keep it up... Keep catering to the rares lovers, keep catering to the "top" players and forget everyone else.... keep making things a boring grind... keep rewarding the few and ignoring the many... soon the many will be gone.
Yes, for years Valentines was recognised by the developers and gifts distributed which is the way traditions start, as each year passes it becomes expected; it would seem that then there was more recognition of this aspect of players expectations. The current heads of the pecking order appear to have little regard for the established traditions of UO and are quite prepared to sacrifice them for their interpretations of what we enjoy. the present trend suggests that this is to pander to the few and disappoint the many. Time will tell how efficacious their judgement has been.

Larisa

Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Valentine's Day is not a HUGE holiday....it was nice to get gifts while we did...but as with all traditions..they change and new ones are made.

As long as they don't take away Christmas/Halloween Gifts I'll be happy :)

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Personally I like the fact that some of the holidays have themed rewards given out at events rather than just logging in for a pack drop. My only complaint would be that they should have been everyone drops, rather than limited to 10-20.

lissa eldi

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Yes, for years Valentines was recognised by the developers and gifts distributed which is the way traditions start, as each year passes it becomes expected; it would seem that then there was more recognition of this aspect of players expectations. The current heads of the pecking order appear to have little regard for the established traditions of UO and are quite prepared to sacrifice them for their interpretations of what we enjoy. the present trend suggests that this is to pander to the few and disappoint the many. Time will tell how efficacious their judgement has been.
The "few" could have been pleased with rare colors, while pleasing many others with a trinket. The art is there, the means to gift everyone is in place, and the way to satisfy collectors is as well. The TRADITION is there also, as you stated. Really, WTH? Makes no sense to me.

Dixie chessy/legends

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
well frigg.... the only reason i log in anymore is to check around holidays for gifts.......ive been begging for those valentines day love birds for years now.....had my fingers crossed that this was the year....poo, no...no gifts.... i never even got the free coins on my account as the anny gift... fooy on you UO Gods!

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

My impression over the last year is pretty much that they have given up on the average player and are now only milking them + catering to the power users that pay the bills. I mean I couldn't care less about this particular holiday gift (or the lack of it), but then seeing them create valentine art for an EM event speaks volumes of their priorities. And then like 30 bucks for some wedding deco package hardly anyone asked for.

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oh people did ask for the wedding package.......about 10 years ago when there was still an active RP community.
Getting married now on Europa is a little more tricky as the ratio is like 8 male to 1 female........and only about 10 females on the shard.
Oh and don't get me started on the sexist and homophobic ramifications of this new "wedding" package...
:facepalm:

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Oh people did ask for the wedding package.......about 10 years ago when there was still an active RP community.
Getting married now on Europa is a little more tricky as the ratio is like 8 male to 1 female........and only about 10 females on the shard.
Oh and don't get me started on the sexist and homophobic ramifications of this new "wedding" package...
Hmm.. The "magical wedding sewing kit" doesn't give you a choice of what to make? It just spits out predetermined male and female clothes?

How boring. :sad4:

So another thing to be annoyed with about the package, adding to the fact that you can't dye any of the clothes. :coco:

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Hey if a couple guys got married we might get national news coverage :p

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My impression over the last year is pretty much that they have given up on the average player and are now only milking them + catering to the power users that pay the bills. I mean I couldn't care less about this particular holiday gift (or the lack of it), but then seeing them create valentine art for an EM event speaks volumes of their priorities. And then like 30 bucks for some wedding deco package hardly anyone asked for.
This is actually the second year in a row where there has been no mass-distributed Valentine's Day gift but there have been Valentine's Day-themed drops at EM events. Valentine's Gifts

Read this post if you want to have an idea of what the response from Mesanna would likely be if we persist in making a fuss about it: Shard populations . Home in on that last line and picture it as a wall plaque hanging in someone's office: "You Asked For It." Somewhere along the line, just the right person or group of people must have complained about Valentine's Day gifts taking up too much weight/item count in their backpack and they couldn't stand the effort of rectifying the situation, or that the artwork wasn't good enough, or that a gift was too similar to some "rare" in-game item, or that the gift was silly, or belittled or complained about the work involved in setting up clickies to get gifts, etc., etc.

It's hard to say whether this way of handling UO is consistent with what Broadsword says about itself as a company on its website, i.e., "We are Broadsword. We have a passion for growing and evolving interconnected online worlds. We believe in quality and strive to deliver compelling content, energized communities and top tier service to all of our players. We are all passionate gamers and we love to work with our communities of committed, hard-core gamers. In the end, for us Broadswordians, it's all about providing an unparalleled experience to Every Player, Every Day." Maybe if you know what constitutes the "communities of committed, hard-core gamers" that Broadsword loves to work with, you can derive an answer for the way a lot of things in UO have been done for the last five or six years.

Drakelord

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Awards
Well we just got ours on Origin...looks like another rare's collectors dream..gotta get the whole set! lol
I was there but did not get the drop. I did get one on Great Lakes and also Sonoma

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
asian shards have not have "gifts" for the minor holidays for as long as i can remember.

they have all been boss events. such as last months holiday, as well as this months (girls day).

asian shards account for about 50 percent of the UO population.

just food for thought.

i was able to make 4 out of the 5 v-day events, and would hardly call myself a "power gamer". i play for for 1-2 hours a few times a week.

i do think more could have been done, as this type of thing is one of the few aspects of UO that keeps people with accounts open.

perhaps similar to other games, with a few V-day UO store trinkets priced $1 to $5. that probably would have been worth the time to give to the population.

Last edited:

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
asian shards have not have "gifts" for the minor holidays for as long as i can remember.

they have all been boss events. such as last months holiday, as well as this months (girls day).

asian shards account for about 50 percent of the UO population.

just food for thought.

i was able to make 4 out of the 5 v-day events, and would hardly call myself a "power gamer". i play for for 1-2 hours a few times a week.

i do think more could have been done, as this type of thing is one of the few aspects of UO that keeps people with accounts open.

perhaps similar to other games, with a few V-day UO store trinkets priced $1 to $5. that probably would have been worth the time to give to the population.
Nope. Already pay $12.99 a month. And all those used to be included in the price. Not paying more, nope.