• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

uosa graphics performance

D

dupadupa

bit unhappy...

been playing uokr on my d630 with the intel965 chipset (i think the grphics equates to a x3100?)

now on uokr i was seeing frame rates of over thirty....

running uosa, i cant get fps to get over 10 and as you can imagine this is not good,

running in windowed of full screen makes no difference,

turning of shadow, particles idle animations, in fact turning everything off makes no difference to my FPS of 10.... 16 bit, changing resolution etc, dont matter what i try there is no change,

im using fraps to monitor btw... (maybe fraps is reporting incorrect? any other progs i can use?)

confused with the results as i expected the client to run on lesser than what KR did, yet im really not seeing that..

C

Cloak&Dagger

bit unhappy...

been playing uokr on my d630 with the intel965 chipset (i think the grphics equates to a x3100?)

now on uokr i was seeing frame rates of over thirty....

running uosa, i cant get fps to get over 10 and as you can imagine this is not good,

running in windowed of full screen makes no difference,

turning of shadow, particles idle animations, in fact turning everything off makes no difference to my FPS of 10.... 16 bit, changing resolution etc, dont matter what i try there is no change,

im using fraps to monitor btw... (maybe fraps is reporting incorrect? any other progs i can use?)

confused with the results as i expected the client to run on lesser than what KR did, yet im really not seeing that..

Did you try actually raising the fps of the game? And if setting it to 60 does nothing, try opening the usersettings file and editing it to something higher. There is a chance fraps is not reporting the correct fps for some reason tho, have not really tried.

D

dupadupa

Cloak‡1321554 said:
Did you try actually raising the fps of the game? And if setting it to 60 does nothing, try opening the usersettings file and editing it to something higher. There is a chance fraps is not reporting the correct fps for some reason tho, have not really tried.

Yes, ive tried everything, an to answer your question, the client was orginally set to 60fps, i then went and edited the user settings file and made that 120,

so anyone? anyone seeing this, or is it just me here? im just shocked turning everything down has not made any difference...

C

Cloak&Dagger

I am thinking it is just you....or something you or your system are doing/not doing. Most everyone else seems to be fine with setting the fps' so I can not really say what the issue is. Sorry I could not help you further. =\

D

dupadupa

well im on a fresh install of xp, all updates done, grphics included, etc

ive been working with computers for at least 12 years so i know my way round and things i can try/tweak, ive only asked here as just this is unusual as kr running on same setup same settings performs ALOT better than uosa,

oh well guess im a lone one here with this issue, ill keep trying to troubleshoot, maybe ill even roll back some drivers to see if the latest one for my graphics from july is causing issues,

T

TheGrayGhost

well im on a fresh install of xp, all updates done, grphics included, etc

ive been working with computers for at least 12 years so i know my way round and things i can try/tweak, ive only asked here as just this is unusual as kr running on same setup same settings performs ALOT better than uosa,

oh well guess im a lone one here with this issue, ill keep trying to troubleshoot, maybe ill even roll back some drivers to see if the latest one for my graphics from july is causing issues,
What do you have the fraps FPS set to(reason I ask is because I had a similar problem in another MMO where my FPS was at a constant 30 :( only to find out that it was because Fraps capped it at 30 lol, I bumped it up and it fixed the problem)?

D

dupadupa

the only setting i can find is under the movie tab in terms of restricting fps, looks to be for when you do screen grab movies from so shouldn't be relevent but ive changed it to 60 anyway, it started at thirty, and i wish i had 30 or 60 for sure :)

thanks for giving me something to try :) apriciated

O

Old Man of UO

A few things to try:

Turn off Shadows
Run Full Screen
Turn off Show Window Frame
Enable VSync
Change FPS to 60
Change Particle Detail to Medium or Low
Change Idle Animation to Medium or Low

Also, what really seems to help because the SA install is so large, defrag and optimize your hard drive with a good defrag program other than the Windows defragger. There are several freeware ones at www.download.com to chose from. I use Smart Defrag, but there are many others. It will increase performance and improve the stability of SA or KR.

D

dupadupa

on doing as you said my and running graphics lower my frame rate is still stuck at ten or 11,

so ive turned them back up as it does't make a difference to game framerate, this is also the same for windowed, framed or not and full screen,

i use OandO defrag, im running on a fresh install of xp pro from 6 days ago, defraged before install anyway and its set to run on constant monitor to defrag activly,

nevermind im going hunting today with sa, will see what heppens

Konge

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Actually... I'm having a similar problem... My frame rate does seem to be low, but the thing I notice and and most upset with is the fact, I run slower, even on the shard I reportedly have the best connection to. Every couple of steps (number varies from 1-7) while running mounted, I freeze for about a second then continue to run and freeze. I've tried everything you've done. Doesn't seem to help, I was wondering if you maybe have had a similar problem? I have no solutions, just want to know if I'm alone. I'm on a relatively new laptop, about a month old with Vista. Graphics on max settings, or lowest settings makes no difference or very little difference, little enough to where I didn't notice anything for any of you typing "Try turning off shadows." This isn't a microsoft help email, so, yes, I'm sure my laptop is on when I play. :p

C

Cloak&Dagger

Actually... I'm having a similar problem... My frame rate does seem to be low, but the thing I notice and and most upset with is the fact, I run slower, even on the shard I reportedly have the best connection to. Every couple of steps (number varies from 1-7) while running mounted, I freeze for about a second then continue to run and freeze. I've tried everything you've done. Doesn't seem to help, I was wondering if you maybe have had a similar problem? I have no solutions, just want to know if I'm alone. I'm on a relatively new laptop, about a month old with Vista. Graphics on max settings, or lowest settings makes no difference or very little difference, little enough to where I didn't notice anything for any of you typing "Try turning off shadows." This isn't a microsoft help email, so, yes, I'm sure my laptop is on when I play. :p

LOL. I answered this on Uhall, so I will not be as specific but I will say that your "stopping" should only be noticed by you, so basically the other players still see you running seemlessly.

Edit: Read the Uhall thread you posted this in, and then reply here if you need more help.

Konge

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ah! I see you're stalking me! But like I said in my post on Uhall, I didn't know this board existed till after I had posted and had more time to explore stratics.

C

Cloak&Dagger

Yup not a problem, only reason I bring it up is the uhall threads get overly posted on with alot of repeat arguing, so it would just be easier for me to help you in this forum as I can actually find threads in here.

G

guum

Pretty sure that some graphics cards are having issues with SA -- mine among them (Mobile G8600 w/ 128MB discrete memory). I have a feeling it's not going to be substantially fixed since we seem to be in the minority, though. But yeah, you're not alone.

O

Old Man of UO

Curious... anyone using a CRT monitor instead of an LCD?

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
CRT - that's the great big old stuff that extends about 15" back from the screen and resembles a tv?
Yup, I got 2 of those. 17" for playing on and 15" for reading icq/irc (and proving bread dough on a rack above it)

O

Old Man of UO

CRT - that's the great big old stuff that extends about 15" back from the screen and resembles a tv?
Yup, I got 2 of those. 17" for playing on and 15" for reading icq/irc (and proving bread dough on a rack above it)
The reason I ask about the CRT is because if you enable VSync and you have your monitor's refresh rate set higher than 60 HZ, you may actually be slowing the frame rates.

What do you have the frame rate of the 17" monitor set for?

D

dupadupa

glad to hear maybe its not just me,

but yes guum think u hit the nail on the head, a minority...

H

HillBilly

What were you doing while monitoring your FPS?

I ask because I was using fraps to try to tweak my settings also. I was in my home the majority of the time I was trying to do this...always got around 9-10.

Accidently left fraps running and decided to do Tokuno champ and was getting 15-19.

I thought it was pretty odd. I dont have that much decor in my tower. Certainly wouldnt have thought it would go up at a champ spawn with 10+ people and all those critters on screen.

And I dont have a very good graphics chip. Its a laptop with an ATI x1250. ATI doesnt even update drivers for it anymore. Its considered legacy hardware on their website....gotta stick with 9.3 drivers or less :(

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
85 hz, which is the default, I've not messed with it at all. But I'm not using vsync either. I (possibly mistakenly) figured that adjustment would only help newer pcs than my ancient rig. Piggy bank not quite full enough to replace just yet.

O

Old Man of UO

85 hz, which is the default, I've not messed with it at all. But I'm not using vsync either. I (possibly mistakenly) figured that adjustment would only help newer pcs than my ancient rig. Piggy bank not quite full enough to replace just yet.
Petra, nothing wrong with your CRT being ancient... some of those old things still produce the best picture! And since you are not using VSync you can ignore the rest of this post.

The reason that I asked about the CRT, VSync and refresh rates is that because if they game FPS and your CRT refresh rate do not match it could degrade performance. AND possibly - people with LCD monitors, which have a default refresh of 60 HZ - can have the same issue if the FPS is not set at either 30 HZ or 60 HZ. This is ONLY if you have VSync enabled.

What VSync does is forces a full page of graphics to buffer before putting it onto your screen. Otherwise it can fill part of the screen while your monitor is refreshing itself and you get what is called "tearing" where part of the picture is just slightly off the the rest.

BUT, if you enable VSync and your monitor does not match the frame rate of the game, you monitor will get a full page of graphics and post it, the have to wait until it gets another full page of graphics. This waiting can actually make the game run slower.

So, without trying to get more technical than that, IF you use VSync, for the best performance your monitor should be the same refresh rate as UOSA frames per second (FPS), OR even multiples of it. If you do not use VSync, then ignore this. Also remember that the higher the frame rate in UOSA, the harder your graphics card has to work.

Example: With VSync Enabled
LCD monitor with default refresh rate of 60 HZ
UOSA FPS should be either 30 or 60 (which is 2X or 1X, 60/30 or 60/60)

With a CRT say at 80 HZ and VSync enabled;
UOSA should be 40 FPS for best performance (2X)

If you have software like Fraps, you should be able to confirm this or find the optimum setting for your computer. Again, if you do not use VSync to improve your picture, you do not need to worry about this.

And I am sorry if I have really really confused people! :p

H

HillBilly

And I am sorry if I have really really confused people! :p
Oops, I forgot to quote. I was talking to the OP. :p

Im not sure if its fraps not reporting FPS correctly or what. Im in the same boat as the OP as far as settings not making any change. In game settings, 20 FPS and 60 FPS do not seem to make a difference. Enable or disable vsync doesnt make any difference either.

But its no biggie. The game is playable for me and thats all that matters :)

D

dupadupa

I ask because I was using fraps to try to tweak my settings also. I was in my home the majority of the time I was trying to do this...always got around 9-10.

Accidently left fraps running and decided to do Tokuno champ and was getting 15-19.

I thought it was pretty odd. I dont have that much decor in my tower. Certainly wouldnt have thought it would go up at a champ spawn with 10+ people and all those critters on screen.

And I dont have a very good graphics chip. Its a laptop with an ATI x1250. ATI doesnt even update drivers for it anymore. Its considered legacy hardware on their website....gotta stick with 9.3 drivers or less :(
exactly what im seeing, 9-10 in house 11-17 out hunting in heavy spawn lol,

maybe it is fraps!

F

Fink

this is unusual as kr running on same setup same settings performs ALOT better than uosa,
Getting the same sort of problems, very stuttered movement through town whereas with KR it was smooth. I actually had higher settings on KR.

Hildebrand

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
this is unusual as kr running on same setup same settings performs ALOT better than uosa,
Getting the same sort of problems, very stuttered movement through town whereas with KR it was smooth. I actually had higher settings on KR.
I thought the new patch was supposed to fix this? I'm not experiencing the jerky movement, lucky me.

O

Old Man of UO

I'm only experiencing the jerky movement when I zoom out and run around areas with a large number of items (such as Luna or my house).

F

Fink

I'm only experiencing the jerky movement when I zoom out and run around areas with a large number of items (such as Luna or my house).
Getting that whether I'm zoomed out or in. In Classic my castle is a little laggy but consistently so, eg: I move at about 70% normal speed rather than anywhere between 40-90% in SA. My other house is in Luna across the street from a mass of vendors, so watching those load up is a slideshow, too.

Is there any way to turn off Approaching Names? (apart from checking the None option, which doesn't seem to work). I think that might help.

It is a little better since today's patch, but not a "patch" on KR.

D

dupadupa

Getting that whether I'm zoomed out or in. In Classic my castle is a little laggy but consistently so, eg: I move at about 70% normal speed rather than anywhere between 40-90% in SA. My other house is in Luna across the street from a mass of vendors, so watching those load up is a slideshow, too.

Is there any way to turn off Approaching Names? (apart from checking the None option, which doesn't seem to work). I think that might help.

It is a little better since today's patch, but not a "patch" on KR.
yeah luna is incredibly slow running through compared to running on KR,

i can also agree that im seeing this if im zoomed in or out, makes no difference,

can only hope for a optimization patch again, then maybe it will run closer to speed as kr used too!! dont we will get a responce here either :(

as bad as it sounds glad im not the only one seeing this

G

guum

Yeah, still a lot of hitching here, especially in windowed mode, both in town and out hunting. If the latest patch made a difference, I can't tell.