• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

UO's not dying, but this is what's making it look like it is

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
People have, literally, predicted the imminent death of UO within a few months of its release. I've found posts on the Usenet to that effect.

The reality is that business ventures that are "wildly profitable" aren't shut down unless the company is small-minded, self-defeating, stupid, ignorant, or irrational. Or there's some legal or tax issue that they feel forces their hand.

The annals of American business are, sadly, filled with such behavior. So sure, UO could be shut down at any time. For any reason. Or for no reason at all. Just like any McDonald's store could shut down at any time, for any reason. Or for no reason at all.

However, assuming everyone's rational and nothing odd happens, UO's likely fine for the foreseeable future.

But these are the things that sometimes make UO seem to be dying. Mythic needs to address them. Soon.

1. UO is not listed on Mythic's main site.
http://www.mythicentertainment.com/
Perceptions matter, people. Jeremy sent an E-Mail on this....Did the recipient respond?

2. The recent round of duping bans was handled badly.
The first weekend in August, roughly 150 accounts were terminated for possession of duped items. This isn't a lot. However, Mythic stayed mum on how many accounts were terminated until August 12, about a week and a half after the bans. 150 out of approximately 100,000 is nearly nothing. I find it likely that people's fears would have been eased a lot quicker if Mythic had gotten in front of things immediately.

By the time they gave us some perspective, the rumor mill had already gotten far, far beyond their control. I've been on a buying spree lately and I am increasingly nervous.

3. Jeremy, a dedicated and gifted community relations representative, has been posting less and less.
To see if you agree with my perceptions, go to her Stratics profile and find "see all of this user's posts."

Assuming my perception is halfway-accurate, this is not a good message to send. Some people are going to be jerks of course, and get mad for her for posting. But I think most of us appreciate a steadier stream of communication.

4. Confusion over what the rules are.
No one rational is looking for exact, specific lists of, for example, what web sites you can and can't mention in-game. But when someone's profile has UOGuide, and they get suspended, that sends a bad message.

When someone claims they were suspended for mentioning Stratics, and it sounds like a credible story, that means the current climate is out-of-control. And that's a bad thing.

As much as I don't like Wilki, he had at least one great moment as community rep that Jeremy should emulate.

There is a 3rd party program that speeds up your professor (or that's what it says it does), that effectively functions as a speed hack. There was confusion as to why use of this program was bannable if "all" it did was mess with your own computer's processor! There was enough confusion over this issue that suddenly bizarre stories of people being banned for using ICQ seemed credible.....Until Wilki stepped in and said, "they are lying about how this 3rd party program works. It doesn't mess with your processor only, it also in our tests has an impact on the client and the data stream."

Not too long after that, discussion of that program died. In large part I feel that that's because Wilki got in front of the train. Suddenly, the rules were re-affirmed and were a lot clearer. It wasn't that suddenly programs that had no direct impact on the client were bannable. It was that a program that allegedly did not have an impact on the client was revealed to, in fact, have an impact on your client.

Someone being suspended for mentioning Stratics should not be any more credible a story than someone being suspended for using ICQ.

There's other things too I guess, but the point is clear, I hope.

UO is likely not dying. However, it is Mythic's job (well one of their jobs I guess) to not fuel the fire, even unintentionally. When you buy a product, you want to feel good about buying it. That way you'll buy it again. Most of that feeling comes from it being a good product. Some of that feeling, however, also comes from being focused on how good the product is, so that way you're not tempted by other products.

-Galen's player

K

kennykilleduo

3. Jeremy, a dedicated and gifted community relations representative, has been posting less and less.
To see if you agree with my perceptions, go to her Stratics profile and find "see all of this user's posts."

-Galen's player
Would you post if all people do is complain , true i'm not happy as to how UO is going or will be going (news at 11) but Uhall has turned for the worse in the last few months also , the most doom and gloom I have ever seen..

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Would you post if all people do is complain , true i'm not happy as to how UO is going or will be going (news at 11) but Uhall has turned for the worse in the last few months also , the most doom and gloom I have ever seen..
I know.

Part of me can't blame her.

And part of me is like....You're community relations....It's part of the gig.

Mostly though? I think her not posting as much is adding to the issue by giving those people a freer reign. Now when they post it doesn't seem like a doomer and gloomer saying doomer and gloomer things. It sounds more mainstream than it should sound.

-Galen's plahyer

C

canary

I want a job that I don't have to 'answer the phone' so to speak.

It's weird how you can not post or communicate with the players and still maintain a job. Do her supervisors even care?

M

MYUO

It is not just Jeremy who has not posted as often as before. Draconi and Leurocian used to be very active on this forum. Three possibilities for the changes:

1) The new policy of Mythic discourages dev from talking to players.

2) They are gonna have a major anouncement this coming Sat (hinted by Jeremy's words "Strongly Recommended") at Townhall and they are purposely staying in silent mode.

3) Their moral is hurt by the recent re-structuring in EA-Mythic and they lost their enthusiastics toward UO.

Jeremy's inactivity is a negative sign since communicating with players is her job. It could be because of just something temporary or something much worse.

Haddy G

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
IMO I think UO is hurting, I hope they have something big to announce at the next town hall. I hope it's good news at that.

C

canary

BTW, UO _is_ dying... been dying for years now. It isn't like a heart attack though, not quick... more like a cancer. Could take years and its kind of slow and painful.

P

Pawl

UO is not dying, But for the US shards, it could be fading . 80 to 90% of the player base is now in Asian base players. to them its newer, they like it, and EA has changes the game to suit there style of playing.

But as long as UO makes money for EA they keep it up and running.

they may shut down a server or two , if empty or near

But even the First mpog is still up and running, Meridain 59 they down to 2 servers outa 11 but they still have player paying 10 a month to play and making money..

Emil Ispep

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
BTW, UO _is_ dying... been dying for years now. It isn't like a heart attack though, not quick... more like a cancer. Could take years and its kind of slow and painful.
Well if thats the case, were ALL slowly dying.. as each day goes on.. not as slow or painful for some as others.. Could take years.. Old age perhaps?

Chemo treats thy cancer.. Sadly thats the best word to describe the state of EAs development. Chemotherapy, with a dash of gamma and some hair loss.

Anyone wanna take some bets? Im gonna go with three months from the release of Warhammer.. until everyone that left, closed accounts, sold everything, posts their teary goodbyes, and all; is returning to the long lost land, where you truely can do anything. It just requires an imagination.

Im roleplaying a serial vandalist at the moment..

Nothing personal WRR.. ;)

10 years and i can still find things to do.

Just dont steal my runes..

Landicine

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The 25h ban for uoguide in the profile bothered my wife a lot. It bothered me a bit too. It seems strange to attack a community resource like that. I also think Jeremy's FOF response wasn't that clear:

This isn’t a blanket ban on links - links to guild websites may be just fine, for example - but most sites advertise, promote, or market something - even if it’s just running banner ads. Your safest bet is to avoid bringing the outside world into UO - if you have a website that’s UO-related (and not entirely about making someone a profit) - by all means submit it for inclusion in the fansite section of the FoF!
How many guild pages use free hosting which is all about banner ads? Is there a chance someone will get banned for this? Most guilds just type their guild page into the stone without thinking about the particulars of what is on their site. What about directing other players to ICQ (which is a big tool on my shard)? What about UOAssist which is UOPro, but also isn't an ingame sale of ingame stuff? Or Stratics?

I had to direct a returning player to uoguide this weekend without mentioning uoguide. After what happened here, I'm going to be more careful about it. Maybe I'm being too paranoid, but better than being too trusting.

G

Gwendar-SP

I had to direct a returning player to uoguide this weekend without mentioning uoguide. After what happened here, I'm going to be more careful about it. Maybe I'm being too paranoid, but better than being too trusting.
I had the same problem. Was asked about the human to elf quest. I knew uoguild had the answer but was scared to say it.