• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

UOKR Client Inanities

D

Derelict

Hello there. I'm just trying out the UOKR client after a few years's leave. Technical reasons made it easier for me to get ahold of that client than the regular 2d one, plus I thought there'd be vast interface improvements. As of right now, I'm a bit confused.

I don't know if it's me or if I'm in tune with the general consensus for once here but I'm finding the way this thing plays out pretty obscure. First surprise, no UO Assist compatible with the stuff. No more drag and drop spell icons, but I guess it's fine with hotbars now. Then I don't understand the way targeting goes. I can't seem to find a way to make it seamless like in the 2d client: I had Last Target set on Mousewheel Up, and TargetSelf set on Mousewheel down. Now, I understand it has a target lockdown system like some other games. Fine. But here is where it intrigues me. If I'm on self target and try to cast a non-heal spell, the spell will hit me, or cancel if it's a non-player-target spell. If it's a heal I'm trying to cast, having myself on target just brings the targeting cursor, and the spell will just wait for me to click myself to actually land. I don't get it. The "Target Self" key assign just seems to put me on self lockdown but doesn't autolaunch heal spells. Etc. What I'm finding here is a lot of complications as opposed to the simpler stuff I expected.

Apparently now "context menus" require a click on your "locked down target's healthbar, so I guess they're not really quite context menus as much. Took me ages to figure this out and find out how to reinsure my own stuff and all. I'm not ready to believe that after less than two hours wrestling this thing, that it's the inept, twisted and dysfunctional failure I'm being led to believe it is. Someone gonna explain to me how it's not and how I can fix my interface woes, or am I mostly going to get redirected to the old client and good old UOA?

Thanks in advance for your time.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There are a couple of guides to how to use the KR client around, some people find it ok. Try the KR forum.
Personally I'm still with 2D. I have trouble seeing where I'm going and what I'm doing in KR I find it very indistinct, plus I can't make head nor tail of the targeting system and I can't stock my vendors in it.

Thimblepixie

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hi there. As Petra said, there are some dedicated KR things about, which are definitiely worth exploring, and I do prefer it myself, tho some things, unfortunately, I still have to go back to 2D for (e.g. arranging my deco at home and handing stuff to vendors / pets).

I don't know if this will help, but when you first drag the spells to the hotbar they will now default to target 'Cursor', which will then ask you who to target, but you can change it to target 'Self', which shouldn't ask. I have the Heal spells on the hotbar as target self and they seem to work OK unless I get too panicky and keep hitting the hotkey, in which case it can get confused and start asking me for a target. The other option is target 'Current', which can be useful instead of last target, except you have to watch for it picking up a new target if you get targetted by a new attacker.

I'll admit it's a steep learning curve, and it's far from perfect - as you say, there seem to be a lot more 'left click to select then right-click to interact' situations, and figuring out how to buy stuff again took me a while, but on the whole I'd stick with it. The honeybees are very pretty :)

D

Derelict

Cheers people. Thanks for the responses.

I've been playing a bit and I've found that UOKR client to be a bit of a different game. I managed to get ahold of the Mondain's Legacy client, so until my DSL comes up from its current downtime I'll still be exploring UOKR.

You know what, there's points to it that I think are nice, but I really can't understand the logic they put in with the interface design. They rationalize it as in "making it easier for newcomers", but I have a feeling that it kinda alienates old players by forcing them to reprogram very old habits into strange new patterns. Hell suddenly I feel like it should be more advantageous to me if I used my keyboard to move, and not my mouse. Feels kinda like a sacrilege.

Also why the hell isn't it obvious where to change my chat colour? Can I still even do it without editing some files, or at all?

Also, Thimblepixie, thanks for the info about the target assignment option in the Hotbar. It's kind of interesting. I'll stick along for a while longer to that new client and see how it goes.

Also wanted to ask you guys something unrelated but that had me wondering. What's with the "uoforums" place? To me it looks like the old forum4games/f4g.net except all about UO, yet it looks like it's the new place where all the rage's at as far as UO forum activity is concerned?

It looks like I missed a whole lot of stuff during those 4-something years. Britannia feels most strangerly than it ever did. Is there still stuff going on in the game? Is there RP still? What do people do to get some PvP action nowadays? That's a lot of question, and probably many more are going to be coming up. Well I figured I might as well use the helpfulness from around here.

Again, thanks in advance for your time. I'll go check the KR forums next.

Cailleach

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Every couple of months, I download KR, spend the best part of patching it, give it another try, then delete the thing again. You'll part me from my 2d when you pry it from my cold, dead, fingers! I just can't get the hang of KR. And with vendors to stock etc etc, it just doesn't work for me.