• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!
UOCartographer

Tools UOCartographer 0.9.8.1

No permission to download

Mervyn

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

UOCartographer is a map that lets you track your friends (mainly used for pvp), the map works for both clients.

Requirements:

• Windows XP/Vista/7/8/10
  • A fully patched version of Enhanced Client (even if you're only using Classic Client)
FOR BOTH CLIENTS:

Download and install UOCartographer.
Then please carefully follow the setup instructions below.
  • Users of Windows Vista/7/8/10 need to right-click map icon and click Properties, under the Compatibility tab check Run this program as an administrator.
Open the map, you'll receive error messages stating unable to locate maps, click OK through them until you're faced with just a black map.

• Right-click the map and click Options...
Uncheck 'Use Enhanced Client' if using Classic Client (use this to toggle between clients)
Check 'Use EC Maps' (keep checked at all times regardless of client)
Under EC Path: click the ellipses (...) and locate where the Enhanced Client folder is installed on your machine then click OK (normally located at C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\Ultima Online Enhanced)
Under CC Path: leave blank.
(enter Server Address details)
Click OK
  • Restart the map, it will convert files, and the map should work for Classic Client. Still not tracking you? Some users may need to reboot windows.

To add the labels download UOCMapAdditions.zip and open, Extract all files to the UOCartographer folder that has automatically been created in My Documents (not the folder in Program Files).

then FOR ENHANCED CLIENT:

After following the first setup instructions.
  • Pinco's UI users: simply open User Settings in the uo game client, click Options tab, under Atlas, check 'Enable UO Cartographer/Mapper'
  • Non Pinco's UI users: need to create a new folder inside the "UserInterface" folder where the Enhanced Client is installed,
(normally located at C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\Ultima Online Enhanced\UserInterface)
download the UOCartographerMod.zip and open, Extract all files and folders to this newly created folder. On the Login to Ultima Online screen, click Custom UI, select the new folder and click OKAY

****​
For those who are hosting the server for your friends you will find the server program already packaged with the UOCartographer installer.
Depending on the directory you installed it, you should find it located at:
C:\Program Files (x86)\UOCartographer\UOCServer.exe

****​
To add new lands from a new publish or update snow effects:
Ensure you've updated the Enhanced Client (regardless of what client you're using), then right-click the map, Options...
click Rebuild

FAQ/Troubleshooting:​
  • All I see is a black map.
Please read the setup instructions carefully, in options Under EC Path: click the ellipses (...) and locate where the Enhanced Client folder is installed on your machine then click OK

• Cartographer stops responding when it starts to convert maps.
The maps are converting in the background even though windows tells you it's not responding, be patient and leave it running.

• I see everyone however the map is not following me.
Please read the setup instructions carefully, you need to run the map as administrator. Also check that the map is set to use the correct client in options.

• The map is following me however it always shows me in trammel.
You're using a non legal UOAssist equivalent, however the fix is to ensure you have patched both CC and EC.

• I can't get the map to work on EC
Make sure you've extracted all the folders and files of the mod to the correct directory, so the mod files should be located in:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\Ultima Online Enhanced\UserInterface\New folder\Mods\UOCartographerMod

• When I go to connect to my friend's server, nothing happens.
Please double check you have the correct address, port, and password.

• The map is working, however it doesn't show the new lands.
Update the EC (even if you're only using CC) then in the map options, click Rebuild.

• I can't see the map in the background when I'm playing UO.
Right click the map and check 'Borderless' and 'Always on Top'

• When I want to zoom in/out with the mousewheel, I have to click on the map, scroll, then click back onto UO.
Install WizMouse, makes your mousewheel automatically work on the window under the cursor.

Last edited:

startle

Siege... Where the fun begins.
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Great instructions, Mervyn... You've gone the "extra mile" to help others use UOCartographer and I'm sure a lot of people will appreciate the instructions in how to get it to work. I use UOCartographer daily ( CC and UOAssist) and it works great.

Obsidian

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I thought cartographer was phased out for UO Mapper. Is that not true?

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I thought cartographer was phased out for UO Mapper. Is that not true?
There's really no "phase out" here.

Rather there's 3 competing products: AutoMap, Cartographer, and Mapper. All 3 are allowed for use in UO. Mapper and AutoMap are specifically allowed, Cart. was mentioned by Cal when he was Producer as being allowed, and is known to the team, and is allowed by default, because it doesn't do anything forbidden.

Only the last of the 3, Mapper, currently is supported, updated, and the like.

AutoMap officially was discontinued some time ago, but apparently there's map files out there that can be used for the newer maps. It will still work.

Cart. I don't think ever was officially discontinued, but the dude who did it just stopped supporting it just before it was ready to exit the beta stage.

All 3 have their advocates and users.

-Galen's player

Last edited:

Mervyn

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Automap doesn't work for Enhanced Client
There's so much wrong with UOMapper I can't begin to start telling you.

UOC is the map of choice.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
have you looked at UOMapper lately? As the only one currently updated and supported by its developer I think you should perhaps not disparage it so cavalierly

Winker

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Its not often you will hear me say these words, I agree with Merv.

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
All the maps are stupid. There should be a map built into the game that tracks your guild that works for both clients. It's stupid that we have to download third party programs.
I forget the details....But at some point there was a movement toward an improved map utility in-game, for one of the various non-standard clients I think, and the response was criticism for attempting to replace UOAM.

Strange, but true.

-Galen's player

Last edited:

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Automap for life - hehe
For the ignorant around here *glances in mirror* describe how you get Automap to work now that it isn't supported? I loved it, but it died for me sometime back and I cannot get it to track me =(

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
For the ignorant around here *glances in mirror* describe how you get Automap to work now that it isn't supported? I loved it, but it died for me sometime back and I cannot get it to track me =(
UOAM still works and others have filled in the map files for the previously unsupported facets. (I think.)

Some always have had problems with getting it to track you; I think you fix those the same way you always did. (Which I don't know because I very rarely had a problem with it. Usually there were a few critical but non-obvious settings slightly off.)

If you're running Windows 7, are you running the program as administrator? I know with UO:C you need to for it to track you.

-Galen's player

Kojak

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

Obsidian

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Thank you for the instructions, Mervyn. I now have UO Cartographer working properly on my system.

One final configuration to do...How do you use the labels?

Mervyn

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thank you for the instructions, Mervyn. I now have UO Cartographer working properly on my system.

One final configuration to do...How do you use the labels?
I've now added this step at the end

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
Uoguide hosts map servers

xxrod17xx

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Poo i could not find any info on their website about this, could you give me a little walkthrough?

Mervyn

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If anyone is interested in adding the new dungeon to UOC, you can simply click 'Rebuild' in the options and the map will update itself.

Mervyn

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Anyone not able to get UOCartographer to work?

In almost all cases it's simply the above set up instructions have not been followed exactly. If anyone requires assistance you may PM me your symptoms.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I just want to say Thanks Mervyn for helping folk with UO Cartographer it's a great program.

Occisor

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Hate to be the only dummy in the room, buuuuut. I followed each instruction and I am still not having any luck getting UOC to aquire my characters position. It will show the position of my guildmates just fine, just not me. Trying to get it to work with EC has been a trial so far. If anyone has any further ideas I'd love to hear them.

Parnoc

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hate to be the only dummy in the room, buuuuut. I followed each instruction and I am still not having any luck getting UOC to aquire my characters position. It will show the position of my guildmates just fine, just not me. Trying to get it to work with EC has been a trial so far. If anyone has any further ideas I'd love to hear them.
Just had a guildmate who came back after a break and she had the same thing, had new comp and had never downloaded Cartographer so fresh install and she had already asked it to rebuild files. Still got half black screen, never showed her location. I knew she was running Windows 7, so I asked her if she was running Cartographer as administrator. She logged out, logged back in as adminstrator and poof, worked perfect. I dearly love Win7 but it is notorious for needing admin level to run programs we install.

I have a strange thing with it though, that has started occuring a few months ago. When I first open the program, it's like it didn't work, the title window comes up and just stays there unless you click on the screen somewhere and then it just vanishes. It takes Cartographer more than 30 seconds and at times almost one full minute before it opens and then only if i move my character in game. Strange happening, never had before and it's happened on 2 computers so I know it's not the computer.

Mervyn

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've updated the labels to show more teleporter drop in spots. (handy for making traps)

Last edited:

startle

Siege... Where the fun begins.
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Is there a text file with UOCartographer where you can delete markers that you've added, rather than doing that on the live map itself (which is cumbersome)...?

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Is there a text file with UOCartographer where you can delete markers that you've added, rather than doing that on the live map itself (which is cumbersome)...?

All the locations that YOU have added to UOC are in USER.map, which is in your My Documents/UOCartographer folder. (all the location files are there)

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I use both... the main reason I hang onto AutoMap is because it has the server lines on it.

Same here, I wished that UOCartographer also showed sub server lines, they are very handy for me especially when I play my fisherman....

Last edited:

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Where can one download the current UOC Server files? Anyone have a guide as to how to host a server on your home pc?

Kojak

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Same here, I wished that UOCartographer also showed sub server lines, they are very handy for me especially when I play my fisherman....
you do know that automap shows the server lines don't you popps?

I posted a working version up there in the stickied section on page 3

MissEcho

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If you are running the EC with Pinko's why do you need UO Cartographer?

What does it add that you can't already see? Pinko's has a server line map, tracks party members etc, can add waypoints, different marking etc etc.

Just interested to know what the value is.

Mervyn

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you are running the EC with Pinko's why do you need UO Cartographer?

What does it add that you can't already see? Pinko's has a server line map, tracks party members etc, can add waypoints, different marking etc etc.

Just interested to know what the value is.
In a combat situation, it's often not practical to have to party up with all guild members, i believe there's a cap of 10 players to be added to party, also when changing char you'd have to redo the party. Also, ALL members would have to both be running EC AND Pincos UI to track each other, you would not be able to track your guild members who are using classic client.

Cartographer is multi platform

MissEcho

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
In a combat situation, it's often not practical to have to party up with all guild members, i believe there's a cap of 10 players to be added to party, also when changing char you'd have to redo the party. Also, ALL members would have to both be running EC AND Pincos UI to track each other, you would not be able to track your guild members who are using classic client.

Cartographer is multi platform
So exactly how does uo cart set up to monitor all guild members etc without either some kinda link to em or whatever. Surely it is not automatic, never was in UOAM, in fact that was a pain to get everyone linked to server etc, in fact in all the years I used it it was always the biggest pain in the butt to get everyone linked up and was very rarely successful with players lagging as to their actual position, it was at best a 'guide only' as to where they may be. Used to spend half an hour before doing anything just getting that right with everyone working with it correctly? I understand about it being mutli client, however if it's only 'use' is to track unpartied guild members or having to 'reparty' if disconnected etc don't really see that it would have any great benefit, especially if you weren't into pvp.

I party members in both clients and see them fine on my map, so anyone in the EC won't have an issue seeing where party members are without having to 'link'. If I play with just people with the EC+Pinko's and select the option to 'show my location with alliance and guild, and they do the same then we can see each other without the need to party etc as well.

hehe guess I will just guild with people in the EC with Pinko's then :) Save myself any hassles, and I can party with anyone, and see em fine, you would be hard pushed to actually GET a party exceeding ten people on my shard!

Last edited:

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Where can one download the current UOC Server files? Anyone have a guide as to how to host a server on your home pc?
Anyone? I have been through all the threads I can find, but any links from the past do not seem to work. Surely someone has or knows where I can get the file to host my own server.

Mervyn

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Anyone? I have been through all the threads I can find, but any links from the past do not seem to work. Surely someone has or knows where I can get the file to host my own server.
You will find the server program already packaged with the UOCartographer installer.
Depending on the directory you installed it, you should find it at:
C:\Program Files\UOCartographer and you'll see UOCServer.exe

I've now added this to the setup instructions.

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
You will find the server program already packaged with the UOCartographer installer.
Depending on the directory you installed it, you should find it at:
C:\Program Files\UOCartographer and you'll see UOCServer.exe

I've now added this to the setup instructions.
Found it! Thanks... Now does anyone have any notes or instructions to making it work? I managed to get my TS3 server up and running, but this one seems to be confounding me.

Ok, scratch that... finally got it up and running.

Last edited:

Mervyn

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Tip of the day, you can run 2 sessions of UOC, if you have one account playing on CC and one account playing on EC, each map will follow each account.

ruaduck

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So i am trying to set up the UOCServer on my server. I keep getting "Incorrect Initial Packet - Dropping" I have all my ports forwarded and my firewall set up. Not sure why i am getting this when trying to connect. Any help would be appreciated.

Parnoc

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have always had great luck with UOC but lately I am having an issue. Win7 - I click to open (it has administrator permission) and it goes through fine. However, it takes sometimes up to 3 minutes for it to actually appear, it's like nothing is happening at all. What have I done or what am I doing wrong or what can I do to correct this?