• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

UO Trading Card Game?

• Thread starter Richtor Darkbane
  • Start date
  • Watchers 2

Should there be a UO Trading Card Game?

• Yes!

Votes: 19 33.3%
  • Yes, Only as a Mini-Game in UO though.

Votes: 14 24.6%
  • Yes, Only as a Real-Life Trading Card Game though.

Votes: 4 7.0%
  • No!

Votes: 20 35.1%

• Total voters
R

Richtor Darkbane

Should UO have it's own trading card game, either as an in game mini-game (like Mahjong or Chess) or as a RL trading card game, or both, or not at all? Vote and discuss. :popcorn:

http://i35.***********/2mfx2s.jpg

The possibilities are endless, in game you could play it as a mini-game, players could collect the cards from monsters of that type as a scroll and add it to there card book or deck, then they could use that with a mini-game board to play a battle trading card style mini game! It would be really cool if you could see them battle in the middle of the game board and they had the same stats/skills types as the real monsters, only in the board game you could use buff/spell cards to power them up.

or...........

As a real life trading card game it could be fun, and also create publicity for the game and generate new subscribers!

(and before you say it: who cares if WoW did it first the Trading Card Game concept has been around forever!)

J

jerseyboy

As a real life trading card game it could be fun, and also create publicity for the game and generate new subscribers!

-Richtor Darkbane

i agree 100%. i doubt if i would play or even buy the cards, but it could attrack more players. maby more players more support for our game. wouldnt hurt any.

WarUltima

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have never played any trading card games. But Ive seem them. Say the average monster you control has 100 hp and 35 damage you can put up a greater dragon with 1000hp and 200damage and you have to discard a extremely common card called "All Kill" in order for it to attack. Attack deals direct damage and by pass all the monster controlled and instantly kill the opponent magician. Just like ingame. It will be a really funny game. Another card called "Invisbility" when used it turns the magician and tamer monster invisible and remain unattackable only usable after "All Kill" :lol:

S

Sweeney

This is surely the silliest post I have ever seen, and I have seen many worthless posts. If you are after the rights to such a tree-killing idea, then take it to EA/Mythic and be prepared to shell out $100k at least. I can tell you second hand that they are against all forms of advertising.

Silly Seadog

Sage
It's My Birthday
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Arrrr, since EA/M already gots a working relationship with Games Workshop, they should make some type of Ultima tabletop game, complete with miniatures!

Maplestone

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No ... no,no ... oh, nonono ... none of that. Baaaad idea.
*hides magic card binder bookshelf*

Haddy G

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Arrrr, since EA/M already gots a working relationship with Games Workshop, they should make some type of Ultima tabletop game, complete with miniatures!
I'm down for some minis, as long as their unpainted. I like to paint them myself.

I already got about 15K to 20K Magic cards, don't think I can go through that again :)

Xenobia

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm not a huge fan of those cards (only because I have to buy them for my kids! and they are hella expensive) However, I see how much they enjoy them and it keeps them occupied so why not? If you truly love that sort of thing then I say go for it and it is a great idea :)

J

jerseyboy

Till that all ads will have mainly negative effects.

i dont understand how advertising would be a bad thing. how come more people dont know about uo? u ever seen Mr. T showin off his spellweavin nox mage? .... nope... never seen a commercial for uo at all. never even seen it advertised in any game store. a little more advertising could go a long way...not everyone can rely on word of mouth to hear about the best online game ever!

Xenobia

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i dont understand how advertising would be a bad thing. how come more people dont know about uo? u ever seen Mr. T showin off his spellweavin nox mage? .... nope... never seen a commercial for uo at all. never even seen it advertised in any game store. a little more advertising could go a long way...not everyone can rely on word of mouth to hear about the best online game ever!
You are so right. I think they could come up with some awesome, if not hilarious commercials for UO! I got my friend to play by showing it to him and telling him about it. He had never heard of it. Shoot, now he has more crap and skill then I do lol (He is retired AF)

R

Richtor Darkbane

This is surely the silliest post I have ever seen, and I have seen many worthless posts. If you are after the rights to such a tree-killing idea, then take it to EA/Mythic and be prepared to shell out $100k at least. I can tell you second hand that they are against all forms of advertising.
For being a worthless silly post you sure didn't waste any time trolling it. I think you missed the point, did I ever say I wanted the rights to anything? It was just an idea for something fun, in/out of game. I can tell you second hand, you have no idea what your talking about. :rolleyes:

Lord Sir Scott

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i think if this happened we should get/be able to do ones of people on our shards.

Sorta like your papper dolls hehe

Aran

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I can't say no enough times to accurately convey my opinion.

Xenobia

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I can't say no enough times to accurately convey my opinion.
yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes
yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes

Does that convey my opinion enough??? :lol:

We all have opinions but trading cards can be really cool for those who enjoy them and I believe it would give a boost to UO as well. Afterall, most of us still play the game and would hate to see the it ever taken down. Who knows...years from now they may be sold on ebay for $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ like those other cards my kids beg for. The foil ones that are supposedly "rare"

R

Richtor Darkbane

maybe for the in game version you could either collect the cards off monsters you kill would drop them as loot, harder monsters would drop a card less often, and if EA wanted to make some extra cash they could have some cards only able to be gotten by actually purchasing them irl.

just bouncing around ideas in my head... :)

P

pavel.vesely

i dont understand how advertising would be a bad thing.
Ok, imagine yourself as new player, you just heard about this game, which already runs 11 years, whoa, that must be a game you think, I should try it to see what it is about. You download client, register for 15 free days. You still imagining it? You log in and go througth and if you don't meet some helpful player in talking mood, you will end up confused. You try to read some information in playguide, still no help. You quit, and tell everybody you know do not try UO, it's stupid game.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Yea but what happens when this card comes out?

Aran

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ok, imagine yourself as new player, you just heard about this game, which already runs 11 years, whoa, that must be a game you think, I should try it to see what it is about. You download client, register for 15 free days. You still imagining it? You log in and go througth and if you don't meet some helpful player in talking mood, you will end up confused. You try to read some information in playguide, still no help. You quit, and tell everybody you know do not try UO, it's stupid game.
So is it better to have nobody hear of it and the players slowly trickle away until UO goes the way of the dodo?

P

pavel.vesely

So is it better to have nobody hear of it and the players slowly trickle away until UO goes the way of the dodo?
No, we need better new player experience. Just now best advertisement is word of mouth, because if tell somebody about UO, you will probably help them to overcome terrible start of game.

R

RenaLynne

Really??? Yea, Im gonna have to go with a "no" on this one...rolleyes:

R

RenaLynne

Okay,was a lil hasty, advertising, "yes", Trading card game, "no".

Gildar

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That'd be kind of neat to see in game... but I don't think it would be wise for development time to be spent on such a thing for at least a year or two.

L

Lariat

Why does no one ever add UD in their polls? My opinion would be based on several details, such as price (if IRL), and if there would be in-game benefits like in the WoW TCG (Rare cards can offer rare mounts, vanity pets, etc., nothing that affects gameplay).

Oriana

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm gonna have to say no, I'm already supporting my daughters Pokemon adiction and would never have time to play real UO and the card game anyway.

A

AesSedai

0 I thought it was witty and such, it made me smile.

I'm not going to vote; but if I were to, I would vote no.
(They are worried about a loss of revenue for putting a box out, at least in the US... focus the resources and do not dilute them further, imho. When things improve and the overlords like UO more - then we can talkabout alter-market expansions...)

R

Richtor Darkbane

Yea but what happens when this card comes out?

Way to miss the point, I don't think we have to worry about this card coming out, if you want to complain about GM service start your own thread, thats not what this is about, and if it's so ridiculous then don't legitimize it with a reply and even on top of that, the time to create a "trading card"... :thumbup1: if you don't agree you don't agree, thats fine good for you.

This idea isn't solely to generate interest in UO for new players, although that is a side effect, it's about a new and fun game, something new to collect in game that doesn't effect gold or economy, and will create fun for players who are into these kinds of trading card games, which alot (not all) are. This would be something new and interesting, and something no other MMO has in game. This is not the "ultimate fix" for the dwindling populous in the game, and I never claimed it to be.

Just an idea....

For fun....

To play... in game.... and possibly out....

Nothing more... geeeesh.

Phaen Grey

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Definitely only in game for this, would be nice to have the deck of cards in some of the taverns be a clickable 2 or 4 player poker game.

S

Sheridan

I really like the in-game idea for this... I don't think it'd be too much of a stretch since we have something already in place that could be modified to suit this purpose. Those painted pictures from the Collector's quest could probably have some text added to them to become a trading card. Some sort of BOD book type setup could be used to place the cards into to form a "deck" etc... Might be a fun diversion to try and collect all of the creature cards. *shrugs*

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Way to miss the point, I don't think we have to worry about this card coming out, if you want to complain about GM service start your own thread, thats not what this is about, and if it's so ridiculous then don't legitimize it with a reply and even on top of that, the time to create a "trading card"... :thumbup1: if you don't agree you don't agree, thats fine good for you.

This idea isn't solely to generate interest in UO for new players, although that is a side effect, it's about a new and fun game, something new to collect in game that doesn't effect gold or economy, and will create fun for players who are into these kinds of trading card games, which alot (not all) are. This would be something new and interesting, and something no other MMO has in game. This is not the "ultimate fix" for the dwindling populous in the game, and I never claimed it to be.

Just an idea....

For fun....

To play... in game.... and possibly out....

Nothing more... geeeesh.
Way to miss the point...EA/Mythic has way more important things to worry about than a silly card game. Without better customer support, and aggressive bug fixes and means to stop exploitation and cheating all the methods to advertise in the world means nothing. That's all WoW's card game is to Blizzard most likely...advertisement, I doubt they have much to do with it outside the creatures on cards that can be redeemed for in game items, and the creatures/spells/what ever decorates the face of the cards.

Let them fix the dire issues that are plaguing UO, and for that matter DAoC, show they are dedicated to all their products by doing more than rehashed content, and story arcs that take 2 years to compete which bore the players quickly after each phase, a client that no body will hear about because of lack of shelf presence, then come talk about a card game....Oh and if they do I hope they take a hint from EQ and make it an add on game to the Client, where you have to get cards as random drops on monsters in game. At the least those of us that could care less about Card Games can laugh while we sell individual cards and booster packs to the rest of the players on vendors for absurd prices.

I remember the last box that hit shelves, I went to 15 different Electronics and game retailers 2 had copies which I bought out, the rest had never even heard of UO. UO's biggest falt in the war of declining subscriptions, is that they don't have a plan to bring new blood in. No Shelf Presence, No Advertising....

The Poll at the top had various options I voted NO!..didn't you read that on the bottom of the card? I was using a humorous approach to expressing why I don't think they should, and why I voted No....so once again Way to miss the point!

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Wow, all that to say nay to something that may keep players in uo?

.....the card is funny :p then again it isn't...really
Why isn't it? Because it's honest? Why should we have to wait 8 hours for a GM to send us a canned message in response to a scripter that we are still sitting there watching, especially one that openly admitted to me that he was scripting after I watched his ghost run around for 30 minutes after I killed him. Told me to go away while his script ran cause he wanted to watch a movie.....7 hours later...finally one got caught.

R

Richtor Darkbane

I voted No....so once again Way to miss the point!
Way to miss the point of this thread! Since you don't seem to be getting it let me explain it to you, it's about a UO trading card game, it's not your personal thread to hi-jack and whine about GM service and complain about the lack of UO subscribers.

I agree with you UO has issues with customer support, subscribers, and new player experience, but there are threads dedicated to those topics. I created this one to discuss and develop a new idea, a trading card game inside of UO and then eventually possibly outside of UO. I didn't say "OMG WE HAVE TO IMPLIMENT THIS NOW STOP WORKING ON ALL OTHER GAME FIXES AND CONTENT AND FOCUS ON THIS!"... no I was just discussing a trading card game for UO, what it might be like, and if people might like to try it or not.

That's all I meant by "way to miss the point"....

S

sapphirediablo11

Way to miss the point of this thread! Since you don't seem to be getting it let me explain it to you, it's about a UO trading card game, it's not your personal thread to hi-jack and whine about GM service and complain about the lack of UO subscribers.

I agree with you UO has issues with customer support, subscribers, and new player experience, but there are threads dedicated to those topics. I created this one to discuss and develop a new idea, a trading card game inside of UO and then eventually possibly outside of UO. I didn't say "OMG WE HAVE TO IMPLIMENT THIS NOW STOP WORKING ON ALL OTHER GAME FIXES AND CONTENT AND FOCUS ON THIS!"... no I was just discussing a trading card game for UO, what it might be like, and if people might like to try it or not.

Very well said

R

RoycroftLS

You said in your original post:
So it certainly isn't off-topic to point out that diverting resources from some (already neglected) facets of the game might result in the opposite of your expectations.

Xenobia

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Very well said
Exactly...Very well said! You toss an idea out there and folks seem to bring drama to it that just isn't due. I think it's a good idea! Will it ever happen? Who knows???? But an idea is an idea and we all have them...so to attack or make fun of someone for tossing one out there is just childish and shows the character of the attacker. Go read the threads on PVP lol Talk about drama!
Anyway, I think the idea is a good one. In game AND out on the open market. THAT IS MY OPINION! We don't need to tell EA what they are lacking in as by now they already know (as many complaints as they get in a day) but what they do with it is what they do with it. Slamming folks over an IDEA is not going to get your customer service to a pristine level nor will it stop cheaters.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED

Explain where the H-ijack is, I'm simply stating that No I don't think UO right now needs a Card game and why.

You put a No Option on the pole, if you didn't want people to explain why they said No, then why have it there?