• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

NEWS UO Newsletter #8

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Interesting. I wonder if this means removing the moongate at Britain Bank on Atlantic.

James [W^H]

Slightly Crazed
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Under the actions for April, there are 21 Solicitation's listed. I looked up the word " Solicitation" in the dictionary and it states that Solicitation is The act of asking or obtaining something from someone, or The act of accosting someone and offering someone else's services as a prostitute. So what constitutes " Solicitation" in the game that so many players are getting in trouble for?

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Begging people for gold and items is probably Solicitation, some people can be very aggressive and persistent with that.

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
"The Team is also busy continuing work on Ultima Online: New Legacy! We've really enjoyed sharing our vision for this next bold Britannian adventure."

This part made me laugh as they really haven't shared much at all, it's still totally vague! I'm perplexed as to what they think they have shared...

Danpal

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Interesting. I wonder if this means removing the moongate at Britain Bank on Atlantic.
Most likely they are just going to remove everything but the BS logo and the SW foces area. will look just like Fels then. I still use Brit bank but most of the time I am using my old Bucs Den bank. also use the stables at Monic
Under the actions for April, there are 21 Solicitation's listed. I looked up the word " Solicitation" in the dictionary and it states that Solicitation is The act of asking or obtaining something from someone, or The act of accosting someone and offering someone else's services as a prostitute. So what constitutes " Solicitation" in the game that so many players are getting in trouble for?
there is a video of Lord Brit talking about how he was shocked that there was a prostitute on the first week was changing gold and doing the bow emote in one of the inns in brit he said they even had a pimp wearing the feather hat outside the door.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
1619217115617.png

Soliciting in this case is a fancy word for a door to door salesman. In UO they appear in Chat.

1 : to make petition to solicit the court. 2 : to ask, induce, advise, or command (a person) to do something and especially to commit a crime — compare coerce, importune. 3 : to attempt to persuade (a person) to purchase something. 4 : to attempt to bring about or obtain by soliciting a person solicit bribes.

1619217319026.png

dvv

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
"The Team is also busy continuing work on Ultima Online: New Legacy! We've really enjoyed sharing our vision for this next bold Britannian adventure."

This part made me laugh as they really haven't shared much at all, it's still totally vague! I'm perplexed as to what they think they have shared...
Let them just work on it and release info as they do. I can picture the inverse where they tell us every little idea they have about the shard and then change their mind on some things as they go then everyone gets mad because they went back on their word. Just let them work and focus on what’s live now.

Veldrane

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Let them just work on it and release info as they do. I can picture the inverse where they tell us every little idea they have about the shard and then change their mind on some things as they go then everyone gets mad because they went back on their word. Just let them work and focus on what’s live now.
People are going to get mad either way. After a year, if they don't have any sort of plan to share, you can count on this being pretty much vaporware or something you're not going to see for at least another three years.

Defend it how you'd like, but this is just poor management.

I want to remove all decorations from all banks on all shards. Before I make any final decision on this I am willing to hear your comments as to why it should stay.
Translation: We've already made up our mind to do this, but we want to give you the illusion of input.

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Can't speak for other shards but WBB on Atlantic shows signs of true life a good bit.. not just afk bank sitters like in Luna.

But... things like commodity deed boxes etc decreased the foot traffic and that type of traffic will hardly ever come back. The more 'from home' conveniences you add the less foot traffic that happens at banks. To snatch the deco away from the bank (including the moongate) due to it not being a major hub of player activity is kind of like throwing the baby out with the bath water imo. Want outlying banks to have people at them more frequently? Throw invasions and the ability for people to lure named skeletons from somewhere TO Luna Mint like WBB and other towns have to contend with. Level the playing field...

and yeah... this will be copy pasted on the 'official forum' as my first ever post there :lol:

Danpal

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I don’t get what the problem is with the deco at the wbb even if no one uses it. What does removing it actually benefit? Something with patching? Lag? Pettines?
The main issue is that some shards got the shaft. When it started there was no Moon gate added. Then one shard got it and so the others got it after the frist shard did. She never went back and added it to the ones that missed out.

She is getting sick and tired of people asking. Just like the one seer tower that lost its npcs forget what shard they ask for them back and she said No.

She even Threatened to stop meet and greets after someone told her off at one about something. She was so pissed i had to change my question to something different

Riyana

Operations
Administrator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Event Coordinator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
I want to remove all decorations from all banks on all shards. Before I make any final decision on this I am willing to hear your comments as to why it should stay.
The key here is consistency. There has never been a consistent and enforced philosophy behind deco. Most Britain banks have some, but some have none, and some have more useful functionality than others. The issue is bigger than just Britain bank though. Some guilds and player towns got banners or deco upon request, some didn't. Some loyalty cities got governor-requested deco, some didn't. Some deco has been removed, some hasn't.

I think the shards should be allowed to be unique with equal functionality. If some shards are missing a Britain bank moongate or spellweaving circle, then add it. Otherwise my vote would be to leave it all alone or hold a new contest (adapt the castle design tool to make a pre-made Britain bank area; you'd probably get a lot more good entries if people had a solid place to start).

But ultimately, what I really want to see is CONSISTENCY. Choose a path, make the rules and guidelines public, make sure the EMs understand and comply, and treat everyone equally. That hasn't been happening with deco, and it's the root of why people so frequently end up pissed off. Losing history that deco represents sucks, but randomly losing history on one shard in one place when other shards and other places keep their deco is infuriating. Stop randomly demolishing things here and there just because. People will still get mad, but they won't have a leg to stand on if there is a public and equally enforced standard.

Veldrane

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
She is getting sick and tired of people asking. Just like the one seer tower that lost its npcs forget what shard they ask for them back and she said No.

She even Threatened to stop meet and greets after someone told her off at one about something. She was so pissed i had to change my question to something different
Pettiness and spite it is then. Yeah, then there is nothing that anyone is going to say that will change her mind at this point.

MaryForUo

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Nice to know there's still duping ....
they have to give each year a reward like "happy 21 duping year" :cheerleader::party::beer:to celebrate the high programming level of the team!
....or to celebrate the bank balance of someone on the development team, or that of mesanna

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
You can often find people at WBB on GL, especially during prime time.

On less populated shards it may be empty, but why punish players for that? It's not as if the designs are "laggy."

Leaving things the way there are creates less work.

:facepalm:

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
It's petty and spiteful... all at the same time... Once when she first took over she talked about doing some awesome stuff... for all the shards... but that talk soon turned to her getting more and more bitter and doing less and less...

Once when we could get town Banners and such for having player-run towns and all that... then someone cried boohoo because they gave a banner to a group of A-holes in Fel who abused it and used it to send Reds to Luna... Which then touched off a whole bunch of insanity about the whole process when she started saying stuff like "single players" shouldn't be able to get a Banner... and we were like but they qualify by providing events to the shard... and such... but still was turned ugly.... got worse after that ... and then back when the whole Governor bit started they were talking about getting things towns needed... what's the first thing we asked for? Docks in Yew and Minoc... a Stable in Vesper and other things that people who really cared about certain towns really wanted... and more people cried boo-hoo about "favoritism" ... well you can't get anything if you don't participate... its like saying I didn't get a drop at the EM Event... and crying about it when you never even go to them... But then at first a bunch of people ran for Governor simply because they thought they'd get something... when they found out that the only thing you get is a big fat headache and in the early days was a lighter bank account because those trade deals didn't come cheap and they didn't come for free... Governors forked out for them... After the first election or two, those of us who were super dedicated to the RP aspect of the game were the only ones that really cared... but yeah... you get nothing but a temporary title and bored ..... going to meetings that are pretty solidly scripted to the point they are a joke. And at least on GL if you attend one you've attended them all as they are pretty much the same thing said over and over and over till you could pretty much word for word most of the meeting in your head...

Took forever to get some of the things but then shortly after that much of that was shut down.... Governorship and meetings are now a complete and utter waste of time and energy that could be spent elsewhere... the RP around them even sucks so bad you can pretty much say your city has receeded from Britannia and the "king" or whoever will just go... Oh, that's too bad... hope you will come back soon... or some bs... joke ....

As for the Banks... It was a nice contest to bring people back to Britain Bank... but they still just don't get what to do in order to do any of that... Luna is a crap hole because it is a central circle with a moongate, stable, and everything you need right there... NO other town can even come close to that... but will they "fix" that by doing what should have been done in the first place... Move the Luna Moongate out of town and spread the shops out more... like other cities... NO... not going to happen... that would be too logical...

But whatever... the more they strip things away and cut things back and make things the most boring grind ever the more people will slip away...

Ender

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The main issue is that some shards got the shaft. When it started there was no Moon gate added. Then one shard got it and so the others got it after the frist shard did. She never went back and added it to the ones that missed out.

It sounds like she's just ****ing trash at her job to me.

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Governorship and meetings are now a complete and utter waste of time and energy that could be spent elsewhere... the RP around them even sucks so bad you can pretty much say your city has receeded from Britannia and the "king" or whoever will just go... Oh, that's too bad... hope you will come back soon... or some bs... joke ....
This couldn't be more true. There was a brief time where I cared about my guild having governorship of Minoc on Siege but nobody in my guild wanted to have to attend those dreadful meetings. We had plans to do so much with it too. Couple that with the 99% of the player base that couldn't care less and you have what we have now. A huge waste of everyone's time disguised as RP.

Acid Rain

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wow, that got ugly fast. Don’t like the boss or how she runs things? Cry me a river then find another game. No one’s twisting ur arm to pay them, move along.

Before screamin fan boi check my posts & see I don’t do boot lickin’ but adults should at least feign civility even if incapable of showing it.

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Maybe when they ran the contest they should have picked designs that weren't such an eyesore, by this late stage though most people just didn't notice it any more, seems like a waste of time for someone who already doesn't have enough time.

Reactions: dvv

Victim of Siege

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
This couldn't be more true. There was a brief time where I cared about my guild having governorship of Minoc on Siege but nobody in my guild wanted to have to attend those dreadful meetings. We had plans to do so much with it too. Couple that with the 99% of the player base that couldn't care less and you have what we have now. A huge waste of everyone's time disguised as RP.
You were just mad cuz Vesper was better . . .

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
On less populated shards it may be empty, but why punish players for that? It's not as if the designs are "laggy."

Leaving things the way there are creates less work.
Agreed! I'm not sure why they would remove things (albeit probably not a ton of work... but still requires effort) when they have such a small team and limited resources and a backlog that is probably a mile long with other stuff.

It's also surprising they actually admitted people were banned for duping and it was more than 1.... you would think they would keep that a secret.

Other than that it was a pretty light newsletter

Ning

Journeyman
The first time I went to WBB after returning I thought, "oh, there's a bunch of **** at the bank" and never gave it another thought. Personally I don't perceive the "need" to remove it or the uproar about it being removed. It's irrelevant either way as long as my box opens when I say "bank" I'm cool.

Danpal

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
You all need to think she needs work to do as well. She is not a programmer or artist she just tells people what to do. She wants a job something to do in game so she is going to take them down for her enjoyment as part of her job.

Was it not Tim "Draconi" Cotten who started the bank program and then left before it was finished. I was away at the time so I could be wrong. I read somewhere she never liked finishing other people projects.

Heck when is at it might as well remove so other shard don't get mad that there did not do so well.

1619278046802.png

Cinderella

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Awards

The NPC's at Moonglow's sorcerery tower was located on Sonoma.
Darkstar actually asked at a meet & greet in 2015 for a moongate at Britain for Sonoma.
she was told that if the original designer requested one, that they would put it in when she could get to it. So Darkstar gifted Drakelord a 6 month time code, so he could request it. And then Mesanna changed her mind, and said that it had to be in the original design.

===============

there is only 6 shards that don't have a moongate at Britain.
I think it would be lot easier to add 6 moongates, than to tear everything down.

I have had people refuse to trade holiday stuff, because Sonoma doesn't have a moongate.
(it is a long way to run on new chars, multiple times)

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
GL's used to have a special tunnel near WBB that had a nice little beetle in it... and you could run through the tunnel to and from the Moongate... it was way shorter...and you could visit the beetle on the way....

Well, that came to an end one day when she decided it had to go... for no real reason just she decided it had to go... at the time she half promised us a Moongate... for taking it away... Then later as the tunnel was removed... she decided we couldn't have a moongate... despite numerous attempts to ask about she got real upity and irked over it... even though she was the one who decided our special feature had to go...

Eventually, after much begging, GLs finally got its gate... and the poor beetle now sits out in the cold near Moonglow Zoo and no longer has his nice little cavern to tunnel in... I feel sorry for it. Kinda like Sudiva losing her home and being stuck off on a hidden beach somewhere that so many can't get to... and forgotten... poor creature...

Which ... I have to say when it comes to Mesanna it seems to be based on the mood of the day what she will or will not do... who's asking and how generous the winds are that particular day...

Ages of her saying no to everything are often the norm however. Whim of the day I guess...which is why I often refer to production UO as the Mesanna not-so-free free shard experience... as it really does seem to be who you are and who you know and the mood of the day... and whatever...

Whenever she decides crap like this I just have to shake my head and wonder WTF? I mean is it so terrible for shards to have some uniqueness? What next? Will she just starting going around removing decades of history from shards? At that point you kinda lose all love of the place .... it isn't your home anymore... May as well move on... IMO... find a new home.

And maybe that's her "goal" if no one cares for their shard anymore maybe that'll force everyone to want to go to some craptastic temp shard and restart every year...? or maybe she'll get enough people to leave their home shards she can shut some off or something?

Who knows... Probably one of her new "pets" got bum hurt because their shards bank isn't pretty enough for them or something and cried about the banks...

The idea that no one uses them is ridiculous... Personally, even though I LOVE Yew... the vast majority of my characters bank and spend time in Skara Brae... Why? Because a bunch of them are Tamers... and the bank is right next to the stable in Skara... that's why...

HippoRedux

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have had people refuse to trade holiday stuff, because Sonoma doesn't have a moongate.
[/QUOTE]

That's why I base all my "Gift ALTs" on other shards in upstairs Luna bank.

Without moongates its is hard to get alts to the event/holiday clickies usually placed in Britain.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
That's why I base all my "Gift ALTs" on other shards in upstairs Luna bank.

Without moongates its is hard to get alts to the event/holiday clickies usually placed in Britain.
[/QUOTE]

Every single one of mine are often at Haven ... In the Inn... I started making tamers on every shard so I'd have someone to gate them to the stupid commons in Britain when needed... but now I just don't care anymore... since gifts are so generic and often lack even the designation of where it came from... etc... I don't really bother... and since the new idea is to make gifts a go grind somewhere and get it yourself etc... I just no longer bother...

not my idea of a gift...

Lord Arm

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
as gov of brit i tried to get a brit gate on the shard but was a no go. the bank doesnt even look like it has any deco lol. one thing i care about is, anything that is put out should not have a bar when you do shift control. this includes em halls and event or holiday deco. i also hope that is doesnt block my runes lol.

Angel of Sonoma

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
most likely the devs are trying to create uniformity. i'm guessing there is special programming for every shard to accomodate the unique decor. the special programming takes longer to make changes, is susceptible to bugs, and doesn't allow for reusable code.

technically i can understand why they want to make the change but i personally like the uniqueness of each brit bank. reverting to the original design is so blah. i would love it if they added moongates at brit bank for all shards.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
most likely the devs are trying to create uniformity. i'm guessing there is special programming for every shard to accomodate the unique decor. the special programming takes longer to make changes, is susceptible to bugs, and doesn't allow for reusable code.

technically i can understand why they want to make the change but i personally like the uniqueness of each brit bank. reverting to the original design is so blah. i would love it if they added moongates at brit bank for all shards.
There are many other things that are not uniform. LS has a gate that has been near Yukio for years. It goes to Britain. Other shards have gates. If you go to dungeons on other shards you find doors that are there and some missing. Our Minoc bank has no doors, others do.

So, I dont think that is the reason.

Last edited:

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Unique deco on a shard doesn't require "extra programming," it just requires the shard to back it up. The more stuff, the longer it takes. Player housing and vendors cause WAY more issues there.

WBB deco is a tiny drop in the bucket.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Yeah... I have to agree with Dot... Everything on the shard is different from other shards when you are talking about housing, memorials, Vendors, not to mention there is ZERO consistency in where the EMs choose to meet and hold events and such... there are literally thousands of unique things on shards going all the way back to the beginning... and seers and all that... many shards have unique things... once upon a time folk cared...

I love all the things that make GLs unique...taking them away just pretty much is IMO just another way to give players the shaft... I honestly see absolutely no reason behind it other than to just be an ass...

Kinda is a real nasty thing to do after so much time was put into them in the first place... many people worked pretty hard to enter that contest in the first place... it's just really silly to take it away now...

The only shard it would make even the smallest fraction of difference with any lag or anything on the shard would be Atl... and IMO it isn't really necessary... and more of a waste of DEV time than it is a benefit to anyone or anything...

Just let it be. Put gates in on the shards that don't have them to create more consistency and call it a day.

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

Well, their vision is totally vague, and they shared it. What else do you want?

But this does give off a bit of Star Citizen jpeg sales vibe. But without the grandeur, excitement, or marketing talent.

Spartan

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
maybe if they logged on once in awhile they would see that west brit bank is used alot for more then just the circle.
hell, I'm on LA and I've seen some decent action around the bank. I've talked to several folks as we passed through town. I think they're looking for an excuse to undo the nice stuff we have had.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I wonder if there's a plan to blow up / damage the Britain bank and it won't work because of all the deco.

JohnnyO

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
GL's used to have a special tunnel near WBB that had a nice little beetle in it... and you could run through the tunnel to and from the Moongate... it was way shorter...and you could visit the beetle on the way....

Well, that came to an end one day when she decided it had to go... for no real reason just she decided it had to go... at the time she half promised us a Moongate... for taking it away... Then later as the tunnel was removed... she decided we couldn't have a moongate... despite numerous attempts to ask about she got real upity and irked over it... even though she was the one who decided our special feature had to go...

Eventually, after much begging, GLs finally got its gate... and the poor beetle now sits out in the cold near Moonglow Zoo and no longer has his nice little cavern to tunnel in... I feel sorry for it. Kinda like Sudiva losing her home and being stuck off on a hidden beach somewhere that so many can't get to... and forgotten... poor creature...

Which ... I have to say when it comes to Mesanna it seems to be based on the mood of the day what she will or will not do... who's asking and how generous the winds are that particular day...

Ages of her saying no to everything are often the norm however. Whim of the day I guess...which is why I often refer to production UO as the Mesanna not-so-free free shard experience... as it really does seem to be who you are and who you know and the mood of the day... and whatever...

Whenever she decides crap like this I just have to shake my head and wonder WTF? I mean is it so terrible for shards to have some uniqueness? What next? Will she just starting going around removing decades of history from shards? At that point you kinda lose all love of the place .... it isn't your home anymore... May as well move on... IMO... find a new home.

And maybe that's her "goal" if no one cares for their shard anymore maybe that'll force everyone to want to go to some craptastic temp shard and restart every year...? or maybe she'll get enough people to leave their home shards she can shut some off or something?

Who knows... Probably one of her new "pets" got bum hurt because their shards bank isn't pretty enough for them or something and cried about the banks...

The idea that no one uses them is ridiculous... Personally, even though I LOVE Yew... the vast majority of my characters bank and spend time in Skara Brae... Why? Because a bunch of them are Tamers... and the bank is right next to the stable in Skara... that's why...
Wasn't it named Sparky? Trying to remember.