• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

UO mentioned in PC Gamer article

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
A couple excerpts that I thought were funny...

" The awkwardly penned notice on the official site lists some of the games available in more detail. "

"While I'm too young to have ever got into Ultima Online"

It's always cool to see UO make a headline / article, but even if the author didn't admit he's too young to ever gotten into UO it was clear without saying that. The article mentions the "servers were pushed to their limits" which I doubt was the case (I experience no lag during the event) and while it might be peak numbers for Origin, I would say that previously (15+ years ago) there have been way more players logged on at the same time on a shard to push the limits of the server.

One thing the article does mention that I do miss from early days of UO was when people (think it was Seers) would interact directly with players by attacking them or dropping some spawn on them just to keep things exciting. These weren't scheduled EM events but just random things to fight in some of the populated areas. It was a good way to spice things up IMO. I think that EMs today have to run everything by Mesanna (for approval) before deploying something (I think this includes a story line too) which makes doing these type of random things very infrequent, but I'd love to see more random events happen for people that are online at that time. This would encourage people to log in and just play the game.

AntyvasII

Seasoned Veteran
UNLEASHED
but I'd love to see more random events happen for people that are online at that time. This would encourage people to log in and just play the game.
For a while there, there was some random spawning going on (like 6 mongbats suddenly popping up in a mining spot that is always empty). I don't know if that is still going on. I think it was around 2010 that happened to me.

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I really enjoyed the Siege Perilous concert that was linked in the article. Hysterical!!! :heart:
That shard actually has a system where players can compose their own music. It is a pretty neat system but you have to be fairly musically inclined to use it. The guy performing is really good at it and people often hire him to compose music for them.

It is not the same Siege Perilous that most people think of while on this forum. I would drop a link but... rules and stuff.