• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

UO lives another day

Gheed

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UO will outlast another modern MMORPG:

Tabula Rasa to shut down in February 2009

I feel sad for Richard Garriott, as Destination games' first game will probably be their last. It also wasn't a bad game, it just wasn't popular as expected.
Wow I'm getting old. Usually a picture of a fit woman with enormous breasts on the box was all you needed to be successful. Times are changing. I did pause and give her her due respect though. Goodbye large breasted red head. :sad4:

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I had some replies that I quickly decided were too mean, and deleted them.

So all I'll say is that I heard very few good things about this game, and I am not terribly surprised.

Ol' Rich has his virtues but he's also got his detriments.

-Galen's player

aarons6

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
this game probably hasnt done very well because ive never heard of it..

its all about advertisment and getting it out there to the public..

Assia Penryn

The Sleeping Dragon
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I wasn't impressed with it either personally. I wonder what's next for RG.

L

LiberatingLuT

Nothing about the game seemed interesting to me when I first heard about, so I'm not surprised either.

Cutter

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Richard should come back to UO we need our king.

Last I heard tho, he was busy spending bajillions of dollars to go up into outer space.

Harlequin

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's quite sad really.

I don't play TR, but I'd always been a sci-fi/fantasy junkie. I took a gander at the gameplay and graphics when it was released. While it didn't appeal to me, I didn't expect it to go down just after it's 1st anni.

It goes to show that just great graphics won't cut it. There are so many MMOs out there sharing the same pie. Unique content and gameplay is just as important if not more.

And continual reviews/advertising/marketing of the game's strength globally. I am talking about UO here. EA Japan is actually doing a great job with the new boxes, gifts and events. Events that everyone is informed about beforehand and can participate in around the clock to have fun. It's not about uber items for closed groups.

An interesting campaign would be to bundle a free UO 30 day code and install disk for Warhammer boxes (can any warhammer players confirm if this is already happening?) and vice versa. Perhaps even offer unique items within the other game.

deadite

Sage
It's My Birthday
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It wasn't a bad game at all. It definitely had a lot of potential.

But the development budget had a lot of bloat created from a complete redesign of the game about 2/3rd through development.

I hate to see it go. It was a valid alternative to swords and sorcery games.

Bummer.

deadite

Sage
It's My Birthday
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Last I heard tho, he was busy spending bajillions of dollars to go up into outer space.
As much of a fan of Garriott as I am, I would say we need Koster to come back 10x more than we need Lord British to.

But if we could get them both... :love:

Phaen Grey

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
*smiles* makes me feel good knowing the game I enjoy most is hanging on, when other ships are sinking.

Gheed

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

I used to think the same thing but now I don't.

RG reminds me of a friend I have only the friend isn't loaded. The friend is an artist, a particularly gifted sculptor. I've looked through his art book at some amazing photographs of his work. But he doesn't make any money at it save a few odd projects and every xmas he hand carves and paints Santas... selling them for xmas money. Other than that he does it only because he loves doing it and only when he has the inspiration.

I used to wonder why he didn't cash in on such a wonderful gift. I know why now.

I think:
RG is an artist using a different medium. He created Ultima and happened to make a lot of money doing it. If it had anything to do with money I would guess that it was purely because money was a measure of success in such an industry and not so much because he was greedy. He has the resources to go where ever he is inspired. These types are perfect for creating and not so good at maintaining. So sell out and move on. We have a talented enough dev team now and they are doing fine.

R

Ravenspyre

Why feel sorry for Garriot? He quit Tabila Rasa and NCSoft after he got back from his space walk. So, needless to say, sounds like he set up NCSoft for a hellacious conn.