• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

UO Lag: Need tips to prevent

S

Stupid Miner

... Don't know if there's been something posted like this already, but...

Can you tech people compile a list of all the various ways to reduce lag for UO?
It's something I suffer a lot of, and it's really annoying.

Oh, and there seem to be some sort of cheats that cause others to lag, anyway to prevent this?

B

Beer_Cayse

Okay - some will argue with me on these, especially given dual and quad-core systems, etc.

1. Do NOT let Windows manage swap space. Manually set it at min=RAM and max=2*RAM. Cap is 4096 MB (4GB) for either on 32-bit systems. At least one reboot may be needed when doing this.

2. ICQ ... do NOT have it running until you have started UO and are all logged in and ready to play. For some reason, having it running before you crank up UO (even just in system tray) affects performance.

3. Make sure you defrag and scan your drive regularly! I typically will defrag when the total fragmentation hits 13-16%.

4. If possible upgrade your RAM ... both in amount and speed. If possible upgrade your video card for more VidRAM. Even tho I have onboard video I have a 512MB Nvidia PCiExpress card as primary. That's 4 times what's onboard ... and it does not take any system RAM.

Harlequin

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I can give some general tips:

1) A big part of lag is beyond your control, and has to do with your service provider. So selecting a good ISP is paramount. The next step is to deal with inefficiencies caused by your system

2) Anything that affects how fast your program runs like your system specs (CPU/RAM/Graphics card/HDD) also has an impact on your internet speed. Now, slower PCs don't technically get more laggy, but since your firewall and AV programs don't run as fast, your system is creating a bottleneck and can't cope as fast with the network packets coming in before passing it to your programs. At other times, when your system can't process a network packet coming in and send an acknowledgment fast enough, the originator may repeat sending the last packet depending on how lag tolerant it is. Same thing happens if your PC can't handle updates to the actual game (or refresh the screen) fast enough.

3) Some av/firewall programs takes up alot more resources (causing lag) but are less effective. Unfortunately, Norton falls into this category. If it's time to renew your AV/firewall subscription, google for recent benchmarks/reviews on the performance of AV/firewall programs and switch.

4) Also, I like to config my AV/firewall proggy to only check for updates when I boot up. Don't want it to check for updates hourly or start downloading stuff just when I'm running for my life.

5) On the subject of system resources/updates, it's also a good idea to remove any unnecessary memory resident programs, like auto-update programs for java/real audio etc

6) Wireless network while faster and more stable nowadays, still adds an extra level of latency on your network connection. If possible use a wired connection

7) Defrag your disk

8) Install your games on a separate physical disk so that read/writes to disk hosting the O/S (including swap file) don't interfere with I/O requests to read the game files

9) Remove unnecessary network protocols (eg QOS, file sharing, netbios)

10) Optimize MTU sizes (registry), match your max frame size (NIC properties) to it. A TCP optimizing program can optimize some of these for you.

Shamus Turlough

Lore Master
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Click start, click run, type msconfig and press enter.
Go to the startup tab.
Uncheck everything you dont need:
-examples: qttask, anything with google in the name, msmsgs, adobe updater, acrotray

click apply

Go to the services tab, check the box at the bottom that says "Hide all Microsoft Services"

Uncheck anything in that list that says google.

This, 90% of the time, will make a noticeable difference. All these things will run resident in memory if you let them, and are in no way needed.

Shamus Turlough

Lore Master
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I can give some general tips:

>>>>

10) Optimize MTU sizes (registry), match your max frame size (NIC properties) to it. A TCP optimizing program can optimize some of these for you.

Careful with this. Setting an incorrect MTU, without getting too technical, can hurt more than help. Default MTU for a broadband connection is 1500. No real need to adjust it.

S

Stupid Miner

Ok, simple instructions on how to preform the more technical stuff would be good and... would it be useful if this thread was stickied? Seems like it's something a lot of people would want to know.

RawHeadRex

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
1) make sure correct range rwin(tcpip receive window) is being used.
http://www.dslreports.com/tweaks , follow prompts and ask questions before doing anything you don't understand. Let Java page load, scroll down and hit start in box. Don't have any other browsers open during test. Wait and hit results button. RWIN values is what you're looking for in results.

2)start/run/services.msc/enter , expand 'descriptions and name' to see what is being run. for example, if you are not on a wireless network, at the bottom there is no reason to be running WLAN AutoConfig so stop it and turn it to manual instead of automatic and started. Media Center is another that doesn't need to be auto threaded, it will start when you want to run it in windows on your terms. Don't turn anything off you are unsure of and ask questions.

Guido_LS

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
1) If running Vista or 7, use a USB stick set up for readyboost - it makes a difference in access times for just about any program, but really shines in graphics intense programs.

2) Make sure all drivers are up to date.

3) Use programs that are less invasive to system resources (ie; Norton and Panda are both very system intensive/invasive - choose an AV such as AVG, Avast, etc)

4) Turn off all HP printer background services. First time around, turn them off from the task manager, and then disable them via MSConfig.

5) Relates to 2 - run DXDiag, and follow any/all advisories.

Short of changing ISP's, there's not really much that can be done about internet latency. Even changing MTU settings doesn't offer much on anything above dial-up. Optimize your system, and that will pretty much take care of the rest.

6) Optional, but the only real answer - either update your system to something more modern than 2002, don't buy your gear from Wal-Mart, and if your motherboard has no slots above PCI, consider an upgrade...

Lefty

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The following is for Extreme Gaming. This means you have a PC used for nothing but Gaming. Nothing else. The concept is turning a PC into a Gaming console. It requires self discipline on the persons part and not to be used as a family pc for casual surfing,downloading, etc do to the fact that there are certain security risks in doing so. This also requires you to educate yourself as well as consult experts and follow all directions.

Building/Buying a Gaming rig

Do not rely on a marketing ad or a couple of reviews on deciding what to purchase. I tend to visit sites such as overclockers.com which helps give me a better look at hardware, a good mixture of components and much needed information. Always research and cover all the bases.

Upgrading an existing system

These are the steps I use and recommend. However this is also limited on your budget. This is also adjusted to UO since it is still a sprite based game a high end graphics card is not put in the list.

1. Upgrade your IDE/SATA Hard drive to a Solid State Drive. SSDs can be as much as 20X+ faster in I/O operations. The really cool thing is if you add more in a Raid configuration the more your I/O scales upward!

Why this is the #1 upgrade is do to the fact that the HD is the biggest bottleneck, one of the most causes of latency and lag do to I/O operations.

2. Memory/Ram - Tighter timing, low latency. Gaming ram. Do your research and shop wise.

3. Goodies - The following helps offload CPU cycles and or offer better I/O operations.

Dedicated sound card, Graphic cards (mid-high performance) and network card.

EVGA Killer Nic - This network card is made for gaming. It offers its own CPU/linux system to control networking tasks and bypasses the Windows Network Stack. Performance results are variable, but out of the box without tweaking it shaves 6ms off traffic. This however I suggest this should be thought of at the very last after all tweaking has been done.

Something for everyone.

Cfosspeed - This is a network driver and it works real good. Read more about it here. http://www.cfos.de/speed/what_is_cfosspeed_e.htm

Tweakguides.com - Here you will find the Bible for tweaking you PC regardless of Operating System and in some cases Hardware as well as game settings. Download and print off the manuals pertaining to your system.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Extreme Guide

Requirements

1. Download your tweakguides.com manual as described above.
2. You must have a Windows CD or Restoration Disk.
3. Download either nlite (for XP users) http://www.nliteos.com/
or http://www.vlite.net/

4. Absolutely READ the Forums, The Guides and download and print to have this information at hand or a second PC to be able to view the site. It is very important that you become an expert using this software.

5. SYSTEM DRIVERS - You must have a drivers cd for your system. If you do not, visit your PC manufacturers site and obtain the required drivers and also not forgetting drivers for added hardware like sound cards, video cards etc. Burn them on CD or on a USB thumb drive.

6. Download and print your Modem and Router Guides from your Manufacturer. This is a must.

7. Download - Ultima online client(s), UOAssist, UOCartographer, your Voip(s)(Ventrilo,Teamspeak, Skype) a internet browser and any IM's like ICQ and burn them to CD or thumb drive. Do not forget cfosspeed if you purchased it.

The first Steps.

The absolute first step is to read and study, read and study. Know everything before you do anything.

Our first goal is to make a Custom Windows Installation Disk. Here you strip down the OS for just the needed processes to run the environment and your game. The purpose is to free up resources,free up CPU cycles and to increase I/O eliminating latency. Think of it like old school hot rodding. Stripping the weight off the car and putting the horsepower to better use.

This of course like I have stressed takes knowledge to get it right. If you take out a process that is needed more than likely you will get the blue screen of death which would require repeating the process. So you have to know while using the nlite or vlite of what process does what and what it effects. When making the custom Installation disk you can include your current drivers as part of the Installation disk.

The basics of the nlite and vlite programs. More or less when you start either program it will prompt you for your Windows Installation disk or Recovery disk. You will then go through a variety of screens of what processes you want to include in your custom installation. When done, this makes an ISO image saved on your computer then to be burned on CD/Dvd or even USB Thumbdrive.

Note- you must have your Windows COA number.

After you made your custom installation disk it is time to install. You will format and install a new custom OS onto your system.

Once the system is solid, install your drivers if not included in the CID.
Do Not install your Game stuff disk. Save it for near last. There is still a ton to do.

After the Drivers are installed and the system is stable reboot.

Enter Bios - On your reboot enter Bios by hitting the F2 or Delete key in most cases. The Goal here is to shut down unused ports and devices such as the gaming control, maybe a floppy, A USB, an onboard lan as well as other stuff.
Take good care and do not mess with stuff you have no knowledge of.

Time for the TweakGuids.com Bible - Make every tweak known to man kind on whats left of your OS. Every millisecond counts to better and faster gaming.

Not done yet!

Since this is a dedicated gaming rig we are going to further offload/shutdown as many network ports possible using your modem/router built in firewall. In this case you use your browser and type in http://and either your local DHCP server or Gateway IP. To find the address navigate to network connections, Right click Local connection, select status and click details.

Enter the address in your browser and hit return. This will pop up the built in settings.

In most cases you are prompted for a username and password. This is dependent on how what router, modem you are using and who installed it. If the router/Modem was installed by your ISP this is usually your ISP account name and password. If not you must call your ISP and obtain it that way.
In other cases the username and password can be found in the user manual if it is a commercial peace of hardware.

Shutting down ports. Here you have to do some research and trouble shooting. Your Browser uses port 80 and UO 5000-5012. You want to block as many ports as possible

This helps improve security, alleviates Windows on check calls to the windows firewall, thus freeing up some cycles and reducing a bit of latency.

Install your Game stuff disk, Install cfosspeed if you have it. You are all most done.

Going for Broke and Self discipline:

Here it is up to you. Keep your nose to the grindstone. Follow these guidelines.

1. You are not running an Anti Virus, or Malware scanners.
2. You are not running any kind of update service.
3. You DO NOT use this for downloading anything other than patches.
4. You DO NOT use the system for surfing the net.
5. You DO NOT download or send email.
6. You just use the system for gaming, that is it.

Other Extremes

A dedicated Internet Connection. Not sharing with other PC's in a LAN.

Overclocking - If you followed all the tips above there should be no reason too. But if you must you must educate yourself and know what you are doing or risk burning out your PC. Visit overclockers.com

I hope this is of benefit and stress this is for extreme results. There are risks to get high end performance and this guide is not for the casual gamer playing on the family pc.

G

gjohnson5

1. The biggest thing for me was upgrading Vista to Windows 7.
I have a thread of items I did to tune my connection here:
http://vboards.stratics.com/showthread.php?t=171829

In general Windows 7 seems to have stripped some functionality out of the base OS and from my use is more efficient then Vista.... If you're using XP , I would stay with XP. If on Vista upgrading might help.

2. Play with receive window autotuning. Generally I like the highly restricted setting
http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/72308-auto-tuning-tcp-ip-receive-level.html

This URL talk about how window scaling may slow down your computer. So I like the "highly restricted" setting"
http://www.mydigitallife.info/2007/...uto-tuning-may-slow-down-network-performance/
You can also disable, but I would only do this for testing purposes. Window scaling in general helps TCP connection

3. Make sure your MTU is correct for the type of connection you have. For cable the command in this URL should work
"netsh interface ipv4 set subinterface "1" mtu=1500 store=persistent "
http://smallvoid.com/article/vista-tcpip-mtu.html

4. Try enabling TCP Timestamps

C:\Windows\system32>netsh interface tcp set global timestamps=enabled

5. Make sure your firewall is allowing all communication for client.exe If you can set UO applications to "trusted" in your firewall, then I would try this

6. If your anti virus has alot of heuristics and real time checking , try reducing those items. Alot of real time execution checks will work your CPU and reduce throughput of your connections. One a side note. if you have anti spyware software AS WELL AS registry modification checkers such as REGISTRY MECHANIC, I would simply uninstall REGISTRY MECHANIC. Too many real time checking software will slow your PC.

7. disable P2P programs.... this hopefully is self explanatory. These programs upon tons of ports and open tons of connection to your PC.

8. if you're using a UPnP media Server on your PC (such as the standard Windows Media Player services on Win 7), try disabling this while playing.

G

gjohnson5

1. The biggest thing for me was upgrading Vista to Windows 7.
I have a thread of items I did to tune my connection here:
http://vboards.stratics.com/showthread.php?t=171829

In general Windows 7 seems to have stripped some functionality out of the base OS and from my use is more efficient then Vista.... If you're using XP , I would stay with XP. If on Vista upgrading might help.

2. Play with receive window autotuning. Generally I like the highly restricted setting
http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/72308-auto-tuning-tcp-ip-receive-level.html

This URL talk about how window scaling may slow down your computer. So I like the "highly restricted" setting"
http://www.mydigitallife.info/2007/...uto-tuning-may-slow-down-network-performance/
You can also disable, but I would only do this for testing purposes. Window scaling in general helps TCP connection

3. Make sure your MTU is correct for the type of connection you have. For cable the command in this URL should work
"netsh interface ipv4 set subinterface "1" mtu=1500 store=persistent "
http://smallvoid.com/article/vista-tcpip-mtu.html

4. Try enabling TCP Timestamps

C:\Windows\system32>netsh interface tcp set global timestamps=enabled

5. Make sure your firewall is allowing all communication for client.exe If you can set UO applications to "trusted" in your firewall, then I would try this

6. If your anti virus has alot of heuristics and real time checking , try reducing those items. Alot of real time execution checks will work your CPU and reduce throughput of your connections. One a side note. if you have anti spyware software AS WELL AS registry modification checkers such as REGISTRY MECHANIC, I would simply uninstall REGISTRY MECHANIC. Too many real time checking software will slow your PC.

7. disable P2P programs.... this hopefully is self explanatory. These programs upon tons of ports and open tons of connection to your PC.

8. if you're using a UPnP media Server on your PC (such as the standard Windows Media Player services on Win 7), try disabling this while playing.
I forgot one other thing. If you have a newer network card and your internet connection runs through that nic, you might wanna try the offloading functions. How to enable offloading and DMA settings for both ipv4 and tcp shown below (for Vista and Win7 one in cmd.exe ran as administrator)

C:\Windows\system32>netsh int tcp show global
Querying active state...

TCP Global Parameters
----------------------------------------------
Receive-Side Scaling State : enabled
Chimney Offload State : disabled
NetDMA State : disabled
Direct Cache Acess (DCA) : disabled

Receive Window Auto-Tuning Level : highlyrestricted
Add-On Congestion Control Provider : ctcp
ECN Capability : enabled
RFC 1323 Timestamps : enabled

C:\Windows\system32>netsh int tcp set global chimney=enabled
Ok.

C:\Windows\system32>netsh int tcp set global netdma=enabled
Ok.

C:\Windows\system32>netsh int tcp set global dca=enabled
Ok.

C:\Windows\system32>netsh int tcp show global
Querying active state...

TCP Global Parameters
----------------------------------------------
Receive-Side Scaling State : enabled
Chimney Offload State : enabled
NetDMA State : enabled
Direct Cache Acess (DCA) : enabled

Receive Window Auto-Tuning Level : highlyrestricted
Add-On Congestion Control Provider : ctcp
ECN Capability : enabled
RFC 1323 Timestamps : enabled

C:\Windows\system32>netsh int ipv4 show global
Querying active state...

General Global Parameters
---------------------------------------------
Default Hop Limit : 64 hops
Neighbor Cache Limit : 256 entries per interface
Route Cache Limit : 128 entries per compartment
Reassembly Limit : 16767424 bytes
ICMP Redirects : enabled
Source Routing Behavior : dontforward
Task Offload : disabled
Dhcp Media Sense : enabled
Media Sense Logging : disabled
MLD Level : all
MLD Version : version3
Multicast Forwarding : disabled
Group Forwarded Fragments : disabled
Randomize Identifiers : enabled
Address Mask Reply : disabled

Current Global Statistics
Number of Compartments : 1
Number of NL clients : 5
Number of FL providers : 4

C:\Windows\system32>netsh int ipv4 set global taskoffload=enabled
Ok.

C:\Windows\system32>netsh int ipv4 show global
Querying active state...

General Global Parameters
Default Hop Limit : 64 hops
Neighbor Cache Limit : 256 entries per interface
Route Cache Limit : 128 entries per compartment
Reassembly Limit : 16767424 bytes
ICMP Redirects : enabled
Source Routing Behavior : dontforward
Task Offload : enabled
Dhcp Media Sense : enabled
Media Sense Logging : disabled
MLD Level : all
MLD Version : version3
Multicast Forwarding : disabled
Group Forwarded Fragments : disabled
Randomize Identifiers : enabled
Address Mask Reply : disabled

Current Global Statistics
Number of Compartments : 1
Number of NL clients : 5
Number of FL providers : 4

C:\Windows\system32>

H

HongKongCavalier

Click start, click run, type msconfig and press enter.
Go to the startup tab.
Uncheck everything you dont need:
-examples: qttask, anything with google in the name, msmsgs, adobe updater, acrotray

click apply

Go to the services tab, check the box at the bottom that says "Hide all Microsoft Services"

Uncheck anything in that list that says google.

This, 90% of the time, will make a noticeable difference. All these things will run resident in memory if you let them, and are in no way needed.
You may also want to give IOBit's "Game Booster" app a try, especially if you are not the technical type. It will stop those unneeded services with one click if they are already running (even if you disable them at start-up, those services will start again when the associated app is used or updated) It can also be used to restart those services with a single click. The app is free, and IOBit is a reputable company. They also make "SmartDefrag", another great free app.

I use these both with Windows XP; don't know how effective they are with any other version of Windows.

G

gjohnson5

You may also want to give IOBit's "Game Booster" app a try, especially if you are not the technical type. It will stop those unneeded services with one click if they are already running (even if you disable them at start-up, those services will start again when the associated app is used or updated) It can also be used to restart those services with a single click. The app is free, and IOBit is a reputable company. They also make "SmartDefrag", another great free app.

I use these both with Windows XP; don't know how effective they are with any other version of Windows.
Yes gamebooster works wonders on Vista.... it frees up some ram and CPU on Win 7 as well