• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

UO is very hard for new players to download

• Thread starter Johnny Powerhead
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
J

Johnny Powerhead

I played UO from about 2000-2004 so I have some knowledge about the basics of how the game works. So last month for some reason I decided to start playing again. I found the UO website and there is a link to download a free 14 day trial of a Kingdom Reborn client. So I went to that link and signed up for the subscription and everything. Then when I went to actually download the software, it sent me to some 3rd party site. First, I had to sign up with this 3rd party - name, address, email, etc etc. Then, after collecting all my information, they said if I wanted the "free" version, I would have to wait approximately 1.5 hours. But I could download immediately if I buy a subscription for $3.99. Instead of choosing either of these methods, I went back to the UO site and decided to just pay for the subscription, and downloaded the old 2-D client. So for the past month I have been playing on the old client, wondering what the Kingdom Reborn client is like. I see all the ads for Stygian Abyss so I decided to just play on the old graphics until that comes out.

My point to all this is, GOOD LUCK getting any new players to play. I can go into Walmart and buy WOW, LOTR, etc. Why would I go through some scam downloader site and pay $3.99 to not wait 2 hours to get a supposedly free download of some game that has been outmoded for at least 5 years. You make money on the subscriptions. Least you can do is give away the free download for free. And pay the nominal cost to host your own website to offer the download instead of making people sign up with Game Spot.

hawkeye_pike

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
One sad fact is that UO development has favored mostly veteran players over the past years. To my opinion, the most important thing would be to make this game interesting and accessible to new players. This includes not only UO in shelves or an easily downloadable client, but also an easier access to the technical game aspects. More elaborate quests to make new players acquainted to the steadily growing complex game content.

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I wouldn't download KR if I were you; it's not getting much work until it's updated in grander fashion with the upcoming Stygian Abyss expansion.

Play the old, clunky 2d client you already know, as opposed to the new, 3d client that few people play.

*chuckles*

Seriously, the KR client is a worthy stab, but it was released far too early and has never quite recovered from that.

Others can provide you with download links for it; mine's probably way out of date.

Welcome back!!! The game's still quite fun.

-Galen's player