• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

UO is no longer an MMO?

callum_fitzhugh

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Most UO shards are very empty. I can more or less cross the map in Felucca Europa and see no other players in an hour's visit. Except you might find some people at Yew gate occasionally. Trammel wise some peeps may hang around Luna [think 6 players?].

Realistically some shards have a very low population spread out over a very wide area.

The more I think about it the more it occurs to me that the UO game map is really quite large and unless I am mistaken has become more and more a solo player game? Whereas back in the day you NEEDED a team [or at least a few peeps] to take down something like an Ancient Wyrm or whatever they were called. Is this the case now? Is UO a solo player game?

Morbeous

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I guess it depends what time you are logged in. Why not visit Britain (Europa) bank at 6pm Uk time. There is a meeting held there every day where players get together. New and returning players also get a lot of help. I myself am a returning player and although the population is nothing like it was in 2003 I find enough players on. For example I set up a guild only a week ago for new and returning players and there are currently 14 members in it. It grows all the time.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There's a lot of map, and yes, fewer players. But it's amazing where you might run into someone. Yesterday I cleared my garden bed of sugar cane and, on a whim, decided to fetch some rare seeds from the naturalist quest. I was quite surprised to find I wasn't the only player running around the nest completing that quest.

Izzy MBC

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I was also surprised to bump into TWO other people in the Blood Dungeon the other day, one of them returning from a 2005 departure I think it was. We also both died to Paragons that day.

UO should be classed as a MMTSORPG, Massively Multiplayer (but) Typically (played) Singleplayer Online Rocket Propelled Grenade.

Kas Valentine

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm curious about the inferred question in this thread, whether it was conscious or unconscious.

As dedicated players (and lovers) of Britannia, how long do you see the franchise lasting from this point on...?

Sadly I don't play on Europa any more and financial issues are beginning to clamour for my departure from paid subscription. Having said that, I do and will always love UO, so s'always a pleasure to visit these forums and see Europa rumbling on despite a gradual decline in server activity (I left once good old Cove went quiet).

But basically, is the end nigh or is there plenty life in the old girl yet...?

Perspectives welcomed !

Morbeous

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I would say there is still life to be had. An expansion was released back in November and this past week I have seen a lot of new and returning players. As I previously said I have set up a guild for new and returning players and in a week the members are already into double figures. Not bad for a game that so many say is dead.

callum_fitzhugh

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm curious about the inferred question in this thread, whether it was conscious or unconscious.

As dedicated players (and lovers) of Britannia, how long do you see the franchise lasting from this point on...?

Sadly I don't play on Europa any more and financial issues are beginning to clamour for my departure from paid subscription. Having said that, I do and will always love UO, so s'always a pleasure to visit these forums and see Europa rumbling on despite a gradual decline in server activity (I left once good old Cove went quiet).

But basically, is the end nigh or is there plenty life in the old girl yet...?

Perspectives welcomed !
I think the question was half inspired by my current adventures in another game [SWTOR] which is essentially a single player game up to level 60 or whatever. It too has large maps but you always know how many other players are around. And some quests there force you to team up.

Its been said many times, if UO had a true 3d client it would rock so hard. Also its unique and if it was marketed and advertised it would attract a sound player base. Also make it free to play [a lot DONT like this suggestion though].

I think there is plenty of life left in the current UO, lots to do, and if I had the time and effort I am sure I would fall back in love with it tomorrow.

Jonathen

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Seems to me there are still a good number of players, but now spread out across a much larger space. You still get them congregating at champ/peerless type locations and running quest routes like the solen hive, but there's not much reason to be roaming the open spaces like I would do 10 years ago. I was pleased to see how busy Eodon was a while after launch, even logging on at an odd time of day.

Barian

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Always plenty of people at the daily WBB meet (6pm UK time). Reports of UO's demise are greatly exaggerated.

Kas you need to get a job you Geordie Slacker !!

;)

Ansel

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
There was plenty of life last night at the weekly auction, and not just the many folks attending. Somebody popped a Harbinger :)

An expensive prank certainly in a long term campaign to grief this weekly event. Ah, but in an MMO griefing is the most reliable sign of life :eyes:

Duncan Drake

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think right now there are more people on europa around than 1year before. General chat is quite busy i even sold a couple of things

Ansel

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Doesn't mean anything, really, alas. I showed up for the nightly gathering. Lots of folks were there. They chatted for a few minutes. One fellow said he'd just made a guild. I asked about a voice server and got the same nonsense answer I got on Chesapeake: what's that?

I enjoyed Harold Lloyd. Admired Buster Keaton. And Charlie Chaplin was BRILLIANT, but we're in the era of the talkies. No vox, no game. Seriously.

They all made a show of being there and then vanished....along with UO for me on Europa as was the case on Chesapeake. It was strike the pose and poof.

If you're not talking you don't exist in today's online game. Might as well script your appearance. I know that sounds harsh and even jingoistic. But the meek shall inherit the earth....meaning that today is not their day.

Last edited:

Ansel

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Sorry...somewhat for the tone of that last post. The nightly gathering is quite delightful and thoroughly agreeable.

Bobar

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There was plenty of life last night at the weekly auction, and not just the many folks attending. Somebody popped a Harbinger :)

An expensive prank certainly in a long term campaign to grief this weekly event. Ah, but in an MMO griefing is the most reliable sign of life :eyes:
A lot of truth in this but the most satisfying thing that night for me is the way the griefer and his attempts to get the attention he craves were totally ignored. The people there simply went outside disposed of the Harby went back inside and just carried on as if nothing had happened. The flying pillock might just as well not bothered.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Doesn't mean anything, really, alas. I showed up for the nightly gathering. Lots of folks were there. They chatted for a few minutes. One fellow said he'd just made a guild. I asked about a voice server and got the same nonsense answer I got on Chesapeake: what's that?

I enjoyed Harold Lloyd. Admired Buster Keaton. And Charlie Chaplin was BRILLIANT, but we're in the era of the talkies. No vox, no game. Seriously.

They all made a show of being there and then vanished....along with UO for me on Europa as was the case on Chesapeake. It was strike the pose and poof.

If you're not talking you don't exist in today's online game. Might as well script your appearance. I know that sounds harsh and even jingoistic. But the meek shall inherit the earth....meaning that today is not their day.
Teamspeak, ventrillo etc may be deemed essential for pvp, but most pvm guilds don't really bother - and to be honest, I can function far more efficiently if I haven't got someone screaming in my ear telling me to do something different to what my head is already telling me to do.

callum_fitzhugh

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This made me laugh out loud. During our one year reign as kings of pvp in LOTRO [not much due to me] the guy who was our raid leader was a very enthusiastic, excitable chap from Greece [I think] who would literally be shouting his head off for an hour whilst we raided. It was the best fun I have ever had in an online game. And some of the other popular raid leaders shouted a fair amount as well... things like CHARGE THEM< HOLD THE LINE TAKE DOWN THAT FU*KING HOBBIT etc. Great great fun.

Ansel

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Teamspeak, ventrillo etc may be deemed essential for pvp, but most pvm guilds don't really bother - and to be honest, I can function far more efficiently if I haven't got someone screaming in my ear telling me to do something different to what my head is already telling me to do.
The biggest guilds in the game use it regardless of where or what they're fighting. But for many reasons, including yours Petra, I've never known it to be mandatory except when fighting people.

For some the game loses its charm when player voices intrude. For others voice would intrude on their home life....one of my favorite players plays on her laptop while her husband reads, for example. For others still there are matters such as not waking the baby ;)

In short, my absolute attachment to it is purely a matter of taste.....my Bartle's type is near pure socializer and hearing the voices completes the feeling for me of being with people in a digital world.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
very occasionally instead of my hubby and I doing our own thing in game, all be it at the same time and in the same room, we attempt to do something together. I find myself frozen between what I planned to do and what he's telling me to do, inactive and totally confused. You can imagine how that works out for marital harmony :D.
in our house Silence is golden :D

Kas Valentine

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Kas you need to get a job you Geordie Slacker !!
Heh heh !

Ironically enough I'd been working in a wonderful restaurant since May last year. Sadly we had a very quiet winter and I've recently been made redundant (along with all the other staff), but heyho, onwards and upwards.

Great reading these replies, s'clear that the dedication of the player-base has never been in question. I am curious about the financial aspect though: does UO still turn a profit, how many new players arrive each month, etc.

Tabby Kapak

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
Last night again someone in Gen Chat called Europa a graveyard, but we couldn't disagree more. Whenever we go hunt somewhere, the spot seems occupied these days. Well, slightly exagerated but we bump into people so often in so many places that it feels that way sometimes. And when making a circle in Brit, no matter the time, there is nearly always someone else hopping on as well, we often don't have to log in our 5 accounts. :) :) The only indication we see of really a lower population is all the empty house spots in Malas, which indeed does look a bit sad...

Melchiah

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Saw that comment last night too; admittedly Saturday can be quite quiet at time, but there was still enough around to get a turtle or two done last night. And I have to thank the friendly tamer who helped heal my GD - and rescue me from a few turtle bites...

Gorthyn

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
This made me laugh out loud. During our one year reign as kings of pvp in LOTRO [not much due to me] the guy who was our raid leader was a very enthusiastic, excitable chap from Greece [I think] who would literally be shouting his head off for an hour whilst we raided. It was the best fun I have ever had in an online game. And some of the other popular raid leaders shouted a fair amount as well... things like CHARGE THEM< HOLD THE LINE TAKE DOWN THAT FU*KING HOBBIT etc. Great great fun.
Hi there Cal ! Yes he was indeed Greek and it was huge fun. Am currently thinking about dipping my toe back into UO having gotten very bored with LOTRO but a bit concerned about what I might find or not find as the case may be.

callum_fitzhugh

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hi there Cal ! Yes he was indeed Greek and it was huge fun. Am currently thinking about dipping my toe back into UO having gotten very bored with LOTRO but a bit concerned about what I might find or not find as the case may be.
I dip my toes in occasionally but it isnt the same. How are you Gorth? I only really follow UO on the forums. Game wise I spend some time in SWTOR as its free to play and there's more than enough content to keep me happy. I wander across the UO lands once every six months or so and its very empty compared to 2008/9 and practically barren compared to 2002. There's still plenty to do and still quite a few players around but the population is tiny. [Which isnt necessarily a bad thing!]

Gorthyn

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
I dip my toes in occasionally but it isnt the same. How are you Gorth? I only really follow UO on the forums. Game wise I spend some time in SWTOR as its free to play and there's more than enough content to keep me happy. I wander across the UO lands once every six months or so and its very empty compared to 2008/9 and practically barren compared to 2002. There's still plenty to do and still quite a few players around but the population is tiny. [Which isnt necessarily a bad thing!]
I am very well Cal, hope you are too. Yes I suspected as much about the population and it seemed pretty quiet the last time I took a brief look a few years ago. And yet...I do have a hankering to try again even though I know it wont be the same as the good old days so we shall see. LOTRO is pretty dead now too compared to how it once was and that never even got close to what UO once was.

Morbeous

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
There are a lot of returning and new players I find. There were 4 at the Britain bank meeting 3 days agoand all 4 signed up to my guild. In under a month I have signed up 30+ people to it. There are always people on line I find