• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

UO IS DEAD!

• Thread starter Tox The Murder
  • Start date
  • Watchers 6
T

Tox The Murder

Lets face it UO is dead! D-E-A-D.... Fel is wasteland. hardly any new ppl.....everyone is going to freeshardss.....UO is dead ppl face....all ppl do now is trash in general chat........UO is not fun anymore :thumbdown:

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Really? I just logged on and saw people playing the game and having fun.... Oh wait, this is a troll thread isn't it? Dag-nabbit! Fell for the exact same thread that I keep falling for over the past 5 years saying exactly the same thing!

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
Lets face it UO is dead!
What a novel idea. -_-

We've heard this prediction every year for the past many years. I'm not persuaded by your timetable. It'll happen when it happens.

K

Kim Li of LS

Tram is still going, as far as I can see, and fel has largely been dead for a looooonnnnggg time, power scrolls where added in fel to revive it, and that was WHEN?!? More champs, events in fell...the list of enticements goes on and on, all for the PvP people to get 'tammys' over into fell so they can have fun ganking the PvM template chars and stealing from them. The revival of fel is a dead, decomposed horse beat to nonrecognition down to the cellular level. We are on publish 70 now and fell has been floundering sense what, pub 16, maybe before?

W

Woodsman

You'll know UO is dead when EA pulls the plug on it. It's still got a few years left at the current rate, but some of the stuff that's being done could reverse that trend.

C

Capn Kranky

Okay - lets shut it all down. But before that ... can I have yer stuf?

RawHeadRex

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
"Sometimes other people have different opinions than you. "

wait ... WHAT ! ? ! :talktothehand:

W

wee papa smurf

If UO dies i'll be at the funeral, but till then i'll continue enjoying the game and not worrying how long we have left :)

No-one should be worrying and just enjoy the game :)

Doostur

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I was here when it all started... I'll be here when its all said and done with. Many games have come and gone while UOs been around. I pretty confident the game will be rebuilt or a spin off to a second version will be made before it ever completely disapears.

A

Armageddon

They should move it to a Free-2-play business model. I know the old timers that still play don't want to hear that but it could keep it from the death knell that is sure to come.

sirion

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UO is dead, and I am not even going to post in U-hall, because it is a fact. So I post here at Rant.

What are the updates now? The contents are just WEAK.

And the "server upgrades" a couple months ago is actually a series of merge of servers. They got rid of 7-yo Formosa (Taiwan) server, and moved its data to Japanese servers.

What does that mean? COST-DOWN PLAN.

Heck, it is so obvious that the management strategy for UO nowadays:
1. No plan to revive it (because it is slowing down to its death)
2. Therefore no more resource planned for UO
3. Do whatever that doesn't cost much to try to make the players happy for now.
4. And finally, when the day comes that UO no longer is profitable for a dime, they post a news on the site saying BYE BYE! "We will host a crazy farewell party!"

This is so obvious for anyone that is around long enough. Look at the frequency and quality of the updates! NOT acceptable!

retrorider

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
2 days ago I took a Guild Hunt of 10 Newbie Guild Members to Blood Dungeon and we owned it for about an hour.

All 10 members were under a month old.

Maybe the OP isn't hanging out with the right people.

W

wee papa smurf

Its not over till the fat lady sings, and I aint heard no fat lady :love:

K

Kiminality

People have been saying UO's dead for as long as there's been a UO, ignoring a couple of little minor details:
1.) It's not actually dead until the plug gets pulled, and since it hasn't, we're left with point 2
2.) People say UO's dead when it's dead to them, which is subjective. That means different on a per-person basis.
From point 1 not applying, we draw from that that the claims that UO is dead are really "UO is dead to me", and in that case I submit that you should just just gtfo and move on.
Telling people for whom UO isn't dead that it's dead is just a cry for attention. Go play Darkfall, or WoW, or punch a wall... Anything that isn't QQing on forums about how UO isn't the way you want it to be.

Vlaude

Lore Keeper
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Just have to love the "herp derp it's not dead because I can still log in!" crowd. As if people are saying it's already been shut down rather than implying that the time may be near by examining the evidence in front of them. Thinking UO still has a long, prosperous life ahead is probably just denial at this point (at best) or flat out delusion (at worst).

Rather than bickering about a dying game's health (and perhaps to some of you it is more than just a game) we should enjoy UO for what is now and the long run it's had. In my opinion we're really just coasting on borrowed time at this point so enjoy what's left of it while you can. Take heart in knowing most of you will outlive UO :)

F

Fayled Dhreams

Just have to love the "herp derp it's not dead because I can still log in!" crowd. As if people are saying it's already been shut down rather than implying that the time may be near by examining the evidence in front of them. Thinking UO still has a long, prosperous life ahead is probably just denial at this point (at best) or flat out delusion (at worst).

Rather than bickering about a dying game's health (and perhaps to some of you it is more than just a game) we should enjoy UO for what is now and the long run it's had. In my opinion we're really just coasting on borrowed time at this point so enjoy what's left of it while you can. Take heart in knowing most of you will outlive UO :)
Thinking that UO would be going one day after turning a negative-return number ...
is quite the herp derp position to take.

we are in "death watch mode" ... everyone knows that.
Everyone "should know" that the "pull plug" moment will appear

here

*shrugs*
Kimi said it >better< ... herp derp :danceb:

W

Woodsman

In my opinion we're really just coasting on borrowed time at this point so enjoy what's left of it while you can.
If we were coasting on borrowed time, they would be doing nothing but cranking out booster packs and pixel crack for the game codes store.

Now if the graphics and EC updates were to get canceled or there was another round of layoffs, then it's in trouble, because that means they've given up on new players.

My biggest worry about UO in the short term is whether or not Star Wars The Old Republic succeeds. If it fails, EA will take an axe to BioWare and UO will suffer, just like what happened with Warhammer.

Vlaude

Lore Keeper
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If we were coasting on borrowed time, they would be doing nothing but cranking out booster packs and pixel crack for the game codes store.
The biggest hint that the towel is not being thrown in yet are the gold sinks being implemented. Beyond that, everything else is going that direction rapidly. The game store has received several new items in the last year: britannian ship, ship paint, abyssal hair dye, forged tool, and soon the gothic and rustic theme packs (which Cal has been calling a mini-booster).

Aran

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If they canceled the EC, we'd know they finally got their heads on straight, and UO is about to do great.

Bryson

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
People have been saying UO's dead for as long as there's been a UO, ignoring a couple of little minor details:
1.) It's not actually dead until the plug gets pulled, and since it hasn't, we're left with point 2
2.) People say UO's dead when it's dead to them, which is subjective. That means different on a per-person basis.
From point 1 not applying, we draw from that that the claims that UO is dead are really "UO is dead to me", and in that case I submit that you should just just gtfo and move on.
Telling people for whom UO isn't dead that it's dead is just a cry for attention. Go play Darkfall, or WoW, or punch a wall... Anything that isn't QQing on forums about how UO isn't the way you want it to be.
In response:
This comes from a really frustrated player who has played the game since a time when there was no feluccia and just one land. Ask any player from Oceania and you will see a completely different response to your comment.

1) Oceania's plug has been pulled and all the characters there are lost in the wasteland; so far, we have been trying to get in now for the last 20 hours and bugga me, it still isnt up and going! This happens every weekend and we have complained about it relentlessly so I think with you saying "the plug pulled" in some cases you arent far from the truth!

2) UO is dead when you have exhausted all methods of anger and frustration to find no one gives a hoot. A great number of people who pay to play the game on Oceania shard may as well get a lighter and burn their money because EA games have let a shard go down without giving those playing it any notice or support!

A cry for attention is possibly frustration that no one is listening and the only forum or support you can get is mentioning it in a forum such as this.

So let me ask, if your server was down for hours at a time and you complained relentlessly (http://vboards.stratics.com/uo-oceania/243235-oceania-down-again.html) would you be compelled to be silent and not say anything or you would jump up and down until someone gave you the validation of your complaint.

Oceania needs support and would appreciate other shards support as well...

Blessed be
Bryson Fox

Cirno

Purple Pony Princess
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think the position of an Oceania player lies somewhere different to the positions of most of the people claiming UO to be dead.

I remember a long long time ago, Europa was suffering similar problems, so I can feel your pain :(
All I can really offer you is that they do actually care about you. They may be glacial to act (the same was true with Europa, back then), and so it mightn't seem it, but they do care.

Bryson

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks Cirno for your reply,

I think the frustration comes from the lack of communication from the EA team. It is easy to assume the team cares when in reality this is a business. We are now a more techno savvy society and know what it takes to be successful.

The issues on Europa years ago, isnt the same thing as today. We are a much more technical game, with bugs and issues to continually iron out. The ultimate disappointment for me is, to play this game its hitting my hip pocket, therefore I have greater expectations and as such want my dollar to reap some form of reward. The basic quality for any business can be based on two things, great service and open communication.

Sadly, this hasnt happened. Tonight I have spoken to fellow Oceanians who are now intending not to play, which is why I am fighting the fight for them.

Do you think they would care to respond to any of our posts we have made over the weeks? Not one response. Thats not caring in my mind Cirno, thats neglecting their duty and what I pay them for.

F

Fayled Dhreams

Thanks Cirno for your reply,

I think the frustration comes from the lack of communication from the EA team. It is easy to assume the team cares when in reality this is a business. We are now a more techno savvy society and know what it takes to be successful.

The issues on Europa years ago, isnt the same thing as today. We are a much more technical game, with bugs and issues to continually iron out. The ultimate disappointment for me is, to play this game its hitting my hip pocket, therefore I have greater expectations and as such want my dollar to reap some form of reward. The basic quality for any business can be based on two things, great service and open communication.

Sadly, this hasnt happened. Tonight I have spoken to fellow Oceanians who are now intending not to play, which is why I am fighting the fight for them.

Do you think they would care to respond to any of our posts we have made over the weeks? Not one response. Thats not caring in my mind Cirno, thats neglecting their duty and what I pay them for.
/false
that is what >you feel< that you are paying them for ...
you ain't ... read the TOS

You are paying for access to "the service" ... on an
"AS IS" & "AS AVAILABLE" basis

period.

by the by ...
"paying" for a service doesn't make you (or anyone else for that matter)
make you one iota "more savvy" than anyone else
actually
paying for (in a click through agreement) << and then complaining about what ya got ...

kinda proves the contrariwise truth ... :danceb:

"There's a sucker born every minute" Barnum

Aran

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I started playing in 2000, started on Lake Superior, when Lake Superior was unavailable 90% of the time about a month in to my playing, for quite some time.

You know what I did? I started on another server.

Bryson

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
/false
that is what >you feel< that you are paying them for ...
you ain't ... read the TOS
Faylen Dhreams is this a "Spiels and Rant" thread where my topic deserves to be ridiculed? By reading your snippet of the TOS I am not seeking compensation just communication.

From the Terms of Service:

5. Rights and Responsibilities.

(c) Rights. You acknowledge and agree that all characters created, and items acquired and developed as a result of game play are part of the Software and Service and are the sole property of EA.com.

(d) Official Service. Ultima Online has been designed by EA.com for play only on the Service. The Software is licensed to you for play on the Service only. EA.comdoes not grant you a license to use the Software for any other purpose. You agree to play Ultima Online only on the Service and not through any other means.

You are paying for access to "the service" ... on an
"AS IS" & "AS AVAILABLE" basis

period.
Oh I think your getting 6. Disclaimer of Warranty. confused with good old fashioned communication, based on customer service. I am in no way, shape of form seeking restitution. Silly thought, little ole me going against EA games pfft!

by the by ...
"paying" for a service doesn't make you (or anyone else for that matter)
make you one iota "more savvy" than anyone else
actually
paying for (in a click through agreement) << and then complaining about what ya got ...

kinda proves the contrariwise truth ....

With all due respect, I think your response is more arguementative then helpful/supportive and seriously has no valid gumption to it. I dont think I am more savvy then anyone else and never said such a thing. I like communication and feedback about an issue that is important, or is my conversation not welcome? By savvy... my point I was referring to was back years and years ago. Currently we are a more techno savvy society wouldnt you agree?.

Ultimately, our server is gone! There was no mention or heads up on it. I continue to pay my contributions even though its for an account lost in EA games "blackhole". Three accounts with full 120 players, 3 fully loaded homes and a guild which is one of the biggest on Oceania, so peeved....slightly!

Why is it so hard to comprehend communication and customer service is the basis of any successful business. I expect nothing in return but that, and that was "my rant" I know there are societies out there that live like that, "lets sue for monetary gain", not mine.

Aran, the unfortunate thing in Australia/Pacific region aka Oceania server we have pings way out there on other servers so there arent any available to pvp or pvm without extremely bad lag. In the States you have a range of servers to pick and choose from, not us. We are stuck with a crappy server which is useless as tits on a bull :)

Bryson

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Arguing against Fayled, that's a paddlin'.
lol, not arguing with anyone :) Just so happens its a heated discussion :)

Paddlin'??? does that mean floggin? Might get interesting then ;)

F

Fayled Dhreams

Arguing against Fayled, that's a paddlin'.
lol, not arguing with anyone :) Just so happens its a heated discussion :)

Paddlin'??? does that mean floggin? Might get interesting then ;)
:lol: YOU weren't agreeing with ME, so yeah!
YOU were arguing

Answer

(Aran, you tease, YOU know can't be no proper paddling without access to the nhb ... *wink*)

Bryson, you unsavvy poser you,
YOU did NOT acquire ANY rights to communication with EA other than the ones listed in the TOS ...
your *snicker* shard is already back up, as you already know.
no, it was NOT because of any communication(here) from you
(though you ARE free to feel and strut as IF you "fixed it")

Fayled Dhreams is this a "Spiels and Rant" thread where my topic deserves to be ridiculed?
yes, of course.

"AS IS" "AS AVAILABLE" <<< is all that you "purchased"
deals done, move on

YOU are confusing >your feelings< about communication in a typical self centered manner (mom, look! mom, look! mom, look!)

NO, society >is not< more techno savvy
More techno available, yes
People more savvy NO
in fact, practice and reality:
more people = more dumdums ...

Why is it so hard to comprehend communication and customer service is the basis of any successful business.
/false premise and application
Ultima Online >persists in the ABSENCE< of both

I expect nothing in return but that
/false
note: you are replying to me, NOT "them"
IF you expect nothing more than some faux form of communication
from them
about the server
what is going on
you could have been in a coma for the duration of the server down
without communication of any form

wallah! the servers up!

ergo: your Feelings are of NO "effect"
(though, again, you MAY adopt the affectation that: I did that!)
:thumbsup: that IS what roleplay is ... slap on some SPF and go to the light ... :danceb:

Bryson

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
:lol: YOU weren't agreeing with ME, so yeah!
YOU were arguing

Answer

(Aran, you tease, YOU know can't be no proper paddling without access to the nhb ... *wink*)

Bryson, you unsavvy poser you,
YOU did NOT acquire ANY rights to communication with EA other than the ones listed in the TOS ...
your *snicker* shard is already back up, as you already know.
no, it was NOT because of any communication(here) from you
(though you ARE free to feel and strut as IF you "fixed it")

yes, of course.

"AS IS" "AS AVAILABLE" <<< is all that you "purchased"
deals done, move on

YOU are confusing >your feelings< about communication in a typical self centered manner (mom, look! mom, look! mom, look!)

NO, society >is not< more techno savvy
More techno available, yes
People more savvy NO
in fact, practice and reality:
more people = more dumdums ...

/false premise and application
Ultima Online >persists in the ABSENCE< of both

/false
note: you are replying to me, NOT "them"
IF you expect nothing more than some faux form of communication
from them
about the server
what is going on
you could have been in a coma for the duration of the server down
without communication of any form

wallah! the servers up!

ergo: your Feelings are of NO "effect"
(though, again, you MAY adopt the affectation that: I did that!)
:thumbsup: that IS what roleplay is ... slap on some SPF and go to the light ... :danceb:

Oh dear lord, lol, what a ranter you are :p <true.

I am moving on...shortly :) <true

I appreciate the banter and have high expectations for a woman of my age < true.

When I fork out the currency I want something back for it, even if its a glimmer of hope. < true.

"Mum look at me" statement I had to giggle because I have never been a character to flaunt such attributes that are self centred and too old for that sort of attention seeking. <true.

Oh and SPF, where I live in Australia, you dont venture out without it, so seeing the light, is observed from the office or car window, even my den whilst sipping a chilled bourbon and diet coke :) <Definately true...

Seems I have alot more trues in comparison to your false assumptions <true

Wonder if I will get a reply assuming Fayled loves to have the last say <could be true

Toodle pip for now and wonders what is "paddling without access to nhb"...national health benefit, naval headquarters budget, nasa handbook...ponders...

F

Fayled Dhreams

:lol: (lol in paired colons) right back atcha dudette

I'll admit I shoulda tipped to that, what with all the pink in your sig ... but
not all sigs are so "manly", nor the posters attached to, here abouts.(and I usually have sigs off, don't see them)

A few final pointers for your edification
I happen to be the resident punctual "mis-user"ya had a nice try there, but(*sigh*) /fail
the "<" symbol, used singly, is commonly understood in two ways
as a "pointer" indicating a direction
as a math form as "lesser than at the small point, greater than at the larger" ( 2:heart:, 3>2)
making somewhat of a conundrum of your meaning, by the manner which You used them with: true
observe
a lie < a true (a lie is less than a true) ... yes?
Symbolically then: that which is the lesser is "a lie"
making
I am moving on...shortly (a lie) and so you are tall and static
I appreciate the banter and have high expectations for a woman of my age (a lie) and so (like the majority here) Hate that I "talked back to you"
but you have to settle for what you can get.

:scholar:see how that cyphers out?

You did how ever manage to get the last "wrong word" in:
When I fork out the currency I want something back for it, even if its a glimmer of hope.
You ONLY forked out money for "AS IS" "AS AVAILABLE"
and wanted , expected, argued that you are some how "owed MORE than what you forked out for"
communication, a hearing, respect, etc.

As for the "last word" crack, no maam
I try to get "the most correct" word in(asap), and will acknowledge when I haven't
and so
generally , the last word ... belongs to the ones whom argue against them ...
ie
I seldom assume anything, though you DO appear to have assumed a LOT ... :lol:

in ending
Light is NEVER seen ... only its reflection = truth + fact

I am Your: Fayled Dhreams
Fiat justia :scholar: ruat caelum!!

Z

Zeomne

UO is never, will never, and can never die. It lives in my heart eternally.

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
This week alone, I've heard half a dozen people say that WoW is dead.

I suggest this mantra: "What is, is."

Vlaude

Lore Keeper
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
You know the ultima forever site was a pleasant surprise, and they have ads for UO on it. Maybe UO still has a long life ahead after all.

W

Woodsman

This week alone, I've heard half a dozen people say that WoW is dead.
WoW will probably be hurt by the next Diablo game and then a year or two later it'll be hurt by Titan, which is Blizzard's next MMO. Both of those are Blizzard titles so I doubt Blizzard is too worried.

T

Tox The Murder

I've realized my mistake of this thread. MODS please delete this if u can... Thank u.

P.S. Uhall thread explains it all. Ty :)

C

Capn Kranky

Glad you have seen the error of your ways, young Grasshopper! :D See my little contri in that thread over in UH ...

:lick:

B

Barracoon The Piper

Lets face it UO is dead! D-E-A-D.... Fel is wasteland. hardly any new ppl.....everyone is going to freeshardss.....UO is dead ppl face....all ppl do now is trash in general chat........UO is not fun anymore :thumbdown:
UO will never die

BtP

F

Fayled Dhreams

UO will never die

BtP
pffft!
you're thinking of truckers ... who get a new peterbilt
Or soldiers ... that fade away ...

All that has a beginning of life ...
necessarily has an ending; ticking ever closer, every remaining day numbered ...

whuat?
never heard of a calendar?

There is a famous and well known case of a mayan calendar maker

"this ONE should be enough" ... :lol: so wrong ...

:scholar: welcome to his "club"

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The death of PvP won't kill UO. PvP has been on life support since the PKers nearly ended UO before Trammel was created. For all the baits & lures the Devs have come up with over the years, Fel is still a ghost town.

As long as the popular Trammel and other tram ruleset lands are supported, UO will hang on for years to come. Particularly if they supply a Player's Guide to help Newbies learn how to play UO. There is a lot to learn in this sandbox after fourteen years. Your not guided down a set simple path here like in most modern games. UO requires you to have a clue about how to survive in a very complex land.

Setanta

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You're right! UO died the day they opened access to the new lands. Or was it when they started Tram? Or the age of Stuff? or......

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor