• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

UO is dead? LOL!

M

Molteg

Have people really been saying this over and over since AoS came out? I just came back to UO like I ALWAYS do, and am having a blast. From what I see so are many others. In fact the game seems busier then last year or the year before. UO may well never die.

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Welcome back!
But nah, people have been saying this long before AoS, lol. UO has come a long way and still has a long way to go.

Raptor85

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
well, compare it to how it was to see where people are getting at with that, pre-ren/AOS days some of the biggest problems UO had was lag and problems connecting due to too many players being online.....AOS & ren "solved" that issue...population has been in rapid decline ever since, i'd honestly be surprised if we still had more than 20k unique players now.

So maybe not dead....more mortally wounded and slowly bleeding out. Can't really call the game that alive when there's often days i'm suited up, running laps around every facet and I run into maybe 2 or 3 people and a dozen or so bots..a few more if you count those that have been AFK since last week...

Dan123The123Man

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i miss the days of going to "The bone wall" in deceit where we'd train up our skills. There would ALWAYS be like 5+ people there raising combat skills off of skeletons. Then every now and then you'd get a brave person to try and take on the skeletal and bone mage room. Those were fun days :(

Ron Silverbeard

Certifiable
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Uo isnt dead - it just passed the train of a new game engine in 2002 and most of the people left to other Online-Worlds for the better graphics and easier mechanics, and the easier hack & slash factor - when i left for WoW with the whole guild i always dreamed (and 100% of the guild too) we could have UO on a WoW based engine with all the nice graphics...and of course HOUSING...i never understood why this never happend - i dont need instances like WoW and it would have been easy to implement a likely system to UO - to try this NOW its to late - so we are playing a game in 2D and live with the changes Mythic is able to implement not to mess with to much...

And to be honest - i rather play alone most of my gametime and jump in for 5-6 hours a week to play with the guild than suffer from lag, log in problems and hundrets of greedy players killing off my targets....if you want to be part of a community in game and have/make friends, it never was easier than in the old days...i came back November 2011 after almost 7 years and am addicted to UO again - noone is left from my old guild but i made new friends and beeing part of a new guild since 3 months now - and its better than before - i just had to start conversations and show interrest - its the VETS that play this game now and if it realy happens a new soul entering the world its a blast for him/her - you get EVERYTHING you need from the scratch to play this game - because the vets got so much of all and if not greedy can spare the millions and regs and armor and pets to push a char's skills in no time to a level the rookie can participate in high end guild hunts - THATS what i think is the game spirit now and keeps the game up - 20 man guilds with constant players log in every day and have fun together - if this keeps up, Uo will never die - well at least until they turn the servers plugs...

Better 20k subsribers and fun than 20 Million subsribers and lag...

An opinion of an old man...who played this game back in 1999...and came back and have more fun now than ever..

P.S. Not to forget what i "owe" UO - english is not my native - its german - i never had courses to learn it, just school english 30 years ago - since i play UO on Pacific even i am in Central Europe, i had to learn the language quite well to be able to communicate and understand everything - because of UO i learned that up to a level i wouldnt have reached outside of the game (i am still to lazy to attend english school, especially at my age now) and it helped me ALOT irl or i wouldnt have my real good job at the IT-Industry since 15 years - were english is mandatory not only to communicate but also to understand most of the hardware and features and to host presentations at big meetings with CEO's and CFO's from hughe companies...so i always say, if someone asks, hey how did you learn that hell of a good english gramar and speaking abilities you almost sound like a native speaker, well, its because i play(ed) computer games for a long time and ALWAYS choose to play on servers that have english communication and text. They cant believe it, some shake heads, but 95% of the people applaude to me. So i realy can say here, UO and other Online Games changed my life and i learned for life...

Sauteed Onion

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Uo isnt dead - it just passed the train of a new game engine in 2002 and most of the people left to other Online-Worlds for the better graphics and easier mechanics, and the easier hack & slash factor - when i left for WoW with the whole guild i always dreamed (and 100% of the guild too) we could have UO on a WoW based engine with all the nice graphics...and of course HOUSING...i never understood why this never happend - i dont need instances like WoW and it would have been easy to implement a likely system to UO - to try this NOW its to late - so we are playing a game in 2D and live with the changes Mythic is able to implement not to mess with to much...

And to be honest - i rather play alone most of my gametime and jump in for 5-6 hours a week to play with the guild than suffer from lag, log in problems and hundrets of greedy players killing off my targets....if you want to be part of a community in game and have/make friends, it never was easier than in the old days...i came back November 2011 after almost 7 years and am addicted to UO again - noone is left from my old guild but i made new friends and beeing part of a new guild since 3 months now - and its better than before - i just had to start conversations and show interrest - its the VETS that play this game now and if it realy happens a new soul entering the world its a blast for him/her - you get EVERYTHING you need from the scratch to play this game - because the vets got so much of all and if not greedy can spare the millions and regs and armor and pets to push a char's skills in no time to a level the rookie can participate in high end guild hunts - THATS what i think is the game spirit now and keeps the game up - 20 man guilds with constant players log in every day and have fun together - if this keeps up, Uo will never die - well at least until they turn the servers plugs...

Better 20k subsribers and fun than 20 Million subsribers and lag...

An opinion of an old man...who played this game back in 1999...and came back and have more fun now than ever..

P.S. Not to forget what i "owe" UO - english is not my native - its german - i never had courses to learn it, just school english 30 years ago - since i play UO on Pacific even i am in Central Europe, i had to learn the language quite well to be able to communicate and understand everything - because of UO i learned that up to a level i wouldnt have reached outside of the game (i am still to lazy to attend english school, especially at my age now) and it helped me ALOT irl or i wouldnt have my real good job at the IT-Industry since 15 years - were english is mandatory not only to communicate but also to understand most of the hardware and features and to host presentations at big meetings with CEO's and CFO's from hughe companies...so i always say, if someone asks, hey how did you learn that hell of a good english gramar and speaking abilities you almost sound like a native speaker, well, its because i play(ed) computer games for a long time and ALWAYS choose to play on servers that have english communication and text. They cant believe it, some shake heads, but 95% of the people applaude to me. So i realy can say here, UO and other Online Games changed my life and i learned for life...

Quoted for truth.

Also, this game is where mmo's come from.. kinda like asking where do babies come from.. People are like well uh hey Sauteed Onion, doesn't it take 2? And I'm like well, depending on your species, and technological advancements perhaps.. but let's just say some time in 1997 Ultima went to a lan party somewhere in LA and met Internet.. she was cute, and witty, and things happened.. Later that year Ultima and Internet hadz a babeh! Ultima had a cool name and Internet's grandma was named Online.. so they named their child Ultima Online. And the next 15 years happened. The End :D

DataCymru2011

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Just came back my self not long ago and am really enjoying my self so far, met some awesome people, had allot of help and got my self a nice large stone tower near Vesper.

UO has more depth than allot of the more "modern" games.

SpyderBite

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Have people really been saying this over and over since AoS came out?
People have been saying that UO is dead since the 16 weeks of Gold Beta. I remember people placing bets with each other that the game would not even make it production.

Personally, I'm surprised that it is still up and running every time I come back to see how things have progressed since I last subscribed. Happily surprised. I'd love to see this classic continue for another 15 years regardless of whether or not I subscribe to it. Call it nostalgia.

People seem to think that there is something in the T&C that requires that they only play one game exclusively. I think that mentality is what causes people to get emotional when the game changes in a way that they dislike. Go out and enjoy the hundreds of other online games available today and come back when you are ready to accept UO for what it is. An online classic that has continued to chug along despite the "rock star" MMOs that get pumped out every couple of years.

H

holumer

I would say the game is doing okay. i would lovwe to see more players..

maybe even combine a couple of servers..

you could do a mass patch..
open up more housing area to compenste for the loss of shards..

maybe double the size of luna.. or something and really increase the server numbers..

even if not that.. its good..

WHAT I WANT TO KNOW.. is what are the populations of the servers..

what does high, medium and low mean as far as numbers?

W

Woodsman

i would lovwe to see more players..

maybe even combine a couple of servers..
Do you want to see more players on your shard, or more players in general?

Because combining shards doesn't increase the number of players, it just moves existing players around. Actually it would probably decrease the overall population as a lot of people would get pissed and quit if they lose their houses and communities.

It's also an incredibly false sense of security.

Go ask Warhammer Online players who are down to just a couple of shards. Think they feel confident in Warhammer's future because everybody is located on just a few shards?

If you want more players, things have to be done to bring in new players, not shuffle existing players around or risk really pissing them off.

E

EarlGrey

I play UO for 4yr from second age and use trial account to check status...... depressing.
I join Atlantic and I have to tell you game is empty. Compare to AoS or pre trammel.
Indeed uo players welcome new people and its very easy to start game but.... everyone doing own little things. Only a few guild have voice communication. I found one with vent but it was empty 99%.
People just dont need it