• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[UO Herald] Publish 70.04 Available on Test Center 1 Today

Painted Elves

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sorry if I missed this topic already....
but how am i suppose to test the house tiles when they copy great lakes, one of the more packed shards and i have no where to put a house....?
*gripe*

T

Trebr Drab

Sorry if I missed this topic already....
but how am i suppose to test the house tiles when they copy great lakes, one of the more packed shards and i have no where to put a house....?
*gripe*
There's a lot of room south East from Ice Dungeon. Plenty on Fire Isle too.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Posts have been removed.

FYI. Dev bashing is not an acceptable pastime.

C

canary

Posts have been removed.

FYI. Dev bashing is not an acceptable pastime.
Neither is absolving them of blame when they do something or create something that seems to be unpopular with a large percentage of the people who post on these boards. Unless, of course, you seek to only irritate and force many posters to go elsewhere... you know, those same people that ensure stratics is able to garner some sort of revenue?

God forbid posters be able to state what is wrong with the way devs are handling issues within the game, or their lack of.

FYI.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Please remember it is possible to be critical without being rude and insulting. Keep it civil and it will stay on the board.

Insults and rudeness discourage communication and destroy community.

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The present, rather venomous, climate on Stratics is the predictable result of of a perfect storm is several factors.

Some are our fault; some are the team's fault; some are Petra's and the other moderators' fault.

This could have been avoided but it is difficult for me to imagine how it can be stopped once it's started. I think we're pretty much doomed to this for the foreseeable future.

As to communication by the team more generally, I was once of the "communicate more" school of thought, but I have been persuaded by other posters, better liked than I, that it's actually better that that they don't post a lot, at least until they can get a full-time, professional community person. They seem to stick their feet into their own mouths far too easily and far too often.

The content they provide, the substance, isn't all that bad. (Expecting of course inexcusable errors like the hue bug and the way sometimes patches seem to restore earlier errors that had been fixed! I actually think I've found a new, but very small, art bug which I might post about.)

But the style is rather bad, at times. It's not their forte. I wish it was. I bet they do too.

Why should they communicate more when first of all they aren't that good at it, and second when there's a loud element here that'll hate them no matter what they say or how they say it?

-Galen's player

S

Sevin0oo0

I think maybe they should run 2 Test Shards.
#1 with the char copy and open to the public

#2 The second one open only to a preselected group.There are many people well known here, on these boards, for their individual specialties. Have it tested on #2 before it moves to public. Look at the current Rage on the board, Dev bashing, throw it in their face attitudes, etc.; not saying the comments aren't well founded, but many things could be worked out simply, with no fuss, had they been looked at by Real Players before dumped on the masses.

I think sometimes Devs code in changes which they 'think' should work as intended and get released untested (like the beetle thing), oops. Especially w/ the bombardment of the mini-paks coming.

They tried something similar w/ a PVP issue a while back, not sure of the success, but mostly I remember it being a fiasco, and anal - and it doesn't have to be.

(i stole this idea from another EA game, just seemed like a good idea)

Viquire

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think they have moved away from focus groups in favor of a much more open approach.

In either instance success will depend on actual player/dev interaction beyond a few posts on whatever board/thread they are monitoring for feedback.

I think "A little touch of Harry" would go a loooong way to resolving a lot of issues with the game in general and certain systems specifically.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Update: The seeds I planted last week (Thursday or Friday) on TC1 in some raised beds have advanced somewhat through their growth cycle. They now show a 3 in the upper left corner of the plant gump. There's still no way to mouse over or click on the beds to see what is actually planted by color or type. Also, on the Reproduction gump for each planted seed, there are still X's associated with the pollen, resources, and seed options, instead of a plus sign for the pollen or a fraction for the resources and seeds.

Pinco

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Be carefull before going drunk, here is the side effects:

- Puke around (create a dead slime)
- Your character suddenly take off all your cloth and let you running around naked yelling "I'm Free!"
- Sleep effect
- Start singing (if the music is enable, it will start a random music from the dawn box list for everyone in the area)

T

Tazar

- Puke around
- Your character suddenly take off all your cloth and let you running around naked yelling "I'm Free!"
- Sleep effect
That should make for some interesting RP-Tavern Nights. *evil grin*

Pinco

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
ehhe
every of this events have a special sounds too... the best is when your char go naked and a female voice says: "oooh" :lol:

However, I think the effects could change based on the alcoholic type, I tried to drink a full barrel of brandy :D

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think maybe they should run 2 Test Shards.
#1 with the char copy and open to the public

#2 The second one open only to a preselected group.There are many people well known here, on these boards, for their individual specialties. Have it tested on #2 before it moves to public. Look at the current Rage on the board, Dev bashing, throw it in their face attitudes, etc.; not saying the comments aren't well founded, but many things could be worked out simply, with no fuss, had they been looked at by Real Players before dumped on the masses.
As Viquire hinted, the limited-access test shard has been tried before. What seems to happen is the same handful of people (a dozen or so) actively test and post feedback. The remainder seem to either do nothing in terms of providing feedback or testing; test and keep most of the results to themselves and their friends; or provide lots of commentary on the proposed changes without actually doing any testing (some of them don't even bother to make a character on the test shard, especially if it is periodically wiped).

There's generally very limited, sporadic communication from the developers and designers or the community person monitoring the private forum tied to the test shard, probably because they just don't have time to do much else and/or they already know what they want to do and are only looking for confirmation that nothing they programmed is seriously borked.

With the advent of the EM program two and a half years ago, EA put in place a group of independent contractors they can call on to do testing and provide feedback if necessary. As long as that program still exists, I doubt they'll ever do another closed test shard with other players who aren't EMs.

T

Trebr Drab

ehhe
every of this events have a special sounds too... the best is when your char go naked and a female voice says: "oooh" :lol:

However, I think the effects could change based on the alcoholic type, I tried to drink a full barrel of brandy :D
Sounds very realistic to me. :beer:

aulbrey

Journeyman
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

- Sleep effect
- Start singing (if the music is enable, it will start a random music from the dawn box list for everyone in the area)
:love::love::love::love::love::love::love:

you just don't understand unless you know my char

K

Kaladin

With all seriousness, my only issue with the theme packs is having to wait until the end of the month to buy them.

If they let me pre order, I would do it the second they offered it.

But, this is coming from a guy who preordered 20+ boxes of one expansion pack just for the soulstones.

For the price, I probably would pay $10 bucks for each theme pack. I think that would be a fair price. Anything lower would be "a steal."

This probably isn't a popular view point. So, I'm not going to respond further about this.

W

Woodsman

For the price, I probably would pay $10 bucks for each theme pack. I think that would be a fair price. Anything lower would be "a steal."
That's way too high for unfinished themes. If they included doors, foundations, and floors, and if the themes had a few more wall tiles to help round things out, maybe $15 for both, but $20 for both?

Martyna Zmuir

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
$10 each for these would be a rip off, pure and simple.

I agree with Woodsman, the housing tilesets are obviously missing several pieces, and feel unfinished over all.

The rest of the "content" is...well...meh. Especially since most of it should be free, or more fleshed out at the very least.

$5.99 each for these unfinished boosters is more than reasonable.

W

Woodsman

Having looking through the art files on the classic client, the ships that came with High Seas had a lot more artwork than these housing tiles combined.

I can't even believe they are selling these sets separately. Combined, I don't know that they add up to High Seas as far as content.

N

nynyve

- Sleep effect
Sounds like a perfect duplication of Friday & Saturday evenings along fraternity row in our town.

Picus at the office

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Having looking through the art files on the classic client, the ships that came with High Seas had a lot more artwork than these housing tiles combined.

I can't even believe they are selling these sets separately. Combined, I don't know that they add up to High Seas as far as content.
I was almost certain that most of the work was finished on HS years before it was released and was sitting in a file somewhere. I'm not to sure how much art this latest team has actually done.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
We assume so. We even hope for a discount for buying the pair together, but we have no details on that as yet.

Pinco

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
day 7 plants from the garden bed:
The plants now has the seeds and resource production active!

O

olduofan

great news lets hope it stays this way , Im sure people will come here screaming Nerf tho and the devs not only will end that im sure they will create a new plant type that can only be gotten of a new boss that takes 10 players 10 hours to kill and has a 1 in 100000000000 chance to drop a seed that can produce resources in a 1 in 10000000000 chance and has no seeds :coco:

Viquire

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
WHAT?!?!

Oh hell, so much for saving for a new camera before summer.

*edit- confirmed, I just pollinated all of mine*