• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[UO Herald] Producer's Letter - Where are we and what the heck are we doing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sarsmi

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ditto, thanks for your letter Cal. Don't get caught up with the negative nancys and nitpickers. The truth is if you could make UO a perfect, bug free game that everyone was happy with you would, but you have to contend with resource and time issues, and because you can't do it all you'll always get a lot of flak. And because you havent' played UO since you were in training pants you'll catch it there too.

PS McLunas is awesome, and totally does what it was intended to do - mimic the crass, bright colors and "feed you crap and shove you out the door" attitude of a real mcdonalds. It's supposed to be garish, but also a draw for people to go look at. Sure Vol could make a beautiful house with flowing gardens and cute little nooks, but I think for her its "been there, done that" in terms of personal challenge. It's a very good example of what a single player can do to exercise their creativity and alter their environment, and those are two of the huge draws of UO. Being able to be creative, and being able to change the world.

PPS She didn't ask to have her house highlighted here, you guys who are picking on her because it's not to your taste should be ashamed of yourselves.

E

Extra Value Meal

I swear, I've never seen such an arrogant, high-brow, and condescending playerbase in all my years of MMO gaming. You guys show quite the double-standard. You beg for an update on this game, you want the devs to be more vocal with the community, and you want to be shown that they care. And what do they get out of it? People who nitpick on spelling errors and movie references, and say condescending remarks like "Nice try devs, try again"? Are you people that dense? What the hell do you know what is right for UO? I'm not seeing some grandiose plan for the future from any of you guys on the matter. At this point, a new direction is a good direction for UO. You say you want this game to be unique and stand on its own merits, but the development stream this game has taken over the years likens it to many products already on the market.

It's time for something new.

I know that "new" might seem scary to some of you old, bitter crones, but it's time to man up. This game needs some new ideas, a fresh set of eyes and a new direction.

Back to lurking :spider:

C

canary

I swear, I've never seen such an arrogant, high-brow, and condescending playerbase in all my years of MMO gaming. You guys show quite the double-standard. You beg for an update on this game, you want the devs to be more vocal with the community, and you want to be shown that they care. And what do they get out of it? People who nitpick on spelling errors and movie references, and say condescending remarks like "Nice try devs, try again"? Are you people that dense? What the hell do you know what is right for UO? I'm not seeing some grandiose plan for the future from any of you guys on the matter. At this point, a new direction is a good direction for UO. You say you want this game to be unique and stand on its own merits, but the development stream this game has taken over the years likens it to many products already on the market.

It's time for something new.

I know that "new" might seem scary to some of you old, bitter crones, but it's time to man up. This game needs some new ideas, a fresh set of eyes and a new direction.

Back to lurking :spider:
So a new idea is going back to a classic server? LOL. Forging ahead is looking back to 1998? LOL.

(Not saying the classic server idea is horrible, just a very funny comment to make)

BTW, LOTS of players give their ideas on here (Stratics) about what they feel is a better direction for UO every day. What forum are YOU reading?

E

Extra Value Meal

So a new idea is going back to a classic server? LOL. Forging ahead is looking back to 1998? LOL.

(Not saying the classic server idea is horrible, just a very funny comment to make)

BTW, LOTS of players give their ideas on here (Stratics) about what they feel is a better direction for UO every day. What forum are YOU reading?
Because a classic shard is the only idea in that letter. Good catch there, you got me. And allow me to be more direct with my comments, the people who nitpick and naysay what the devs bring to the table, calling them stupid ideas, without adding anything whatsoever to the discussion is downright stupid. Are YOU reading the same forum?

Thav12

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Cal, it's good to see you were wearing your flame-retardant suit. Yesterday was a scorcher. Thanks for posting.
*chortles* ... Oh yeah ... It goes well with my aluminum pirate hat ;)
What I would suggest to you Cal, is to keep writing/posting. Opinionated BS is the norm rather than the exception. However, you hit the nail on the head when addressing one particularly impressive flame in this thread: as long as people use blow torches for what ultimately is as meaningless in a human life as a game, you are doing EVERYTHING right. This game has more people's underpants tied in a wad than any other game every made (with the possible exception of chess, i guess).

One thing that is sort of a red line through all our posts and it would be fantastic to just get a straight up answer from you: What is the long term outlook for UO. What is the current long term corporate plan for this small, but loyal subscriber fan base. This is important, as people are making real life financial and time consuming investments. Just give us some insight, and hopefully assure us that EA/Mythic or what ever is commited to honoring our investments. All the other crap we will continue to argue about until our faces see red/blue and green... we like that.

TheBlackCobra

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Cal, lovely to hear so much feedback on this from yourself (And I'm glad to see you brought your asbestos suit!)

There is one thing that I'd love to know is or isn't on the ToDo List...

Revamping ships.

They have to clunkiest, most outdated system in the clients, and the teleport-movement really detracts. I have no idea how they could be improved, but... I'd love to know if it's something that's being considered!

(Even if said consideration is "We'd like to one day...")

C

canary

And allow me to be more direct with my comments, the people who nitpick and naysay what the devs bring to the table, calling them stupid ideas, without adding anything whatsoever to the discussion is downright stupid. Are YOU reading the same forum?
Err... lots of people in this very thread have offered ideas on ways to better serve the community at large in the game. Seriously. Go read the thread again. I'll wait right here. :coco:

Ancient Sosarian

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Missives like this obviate the need for experienced community professionals. I'm not entirely clear you (Cal Crowner) understand the desires and nuances of this particular ragtag bunch of community.

Let me politely eviscerate your letter in as constructive a means as I can.

You should perhaps be made aware that factions has been broken for 10 years. The system itself was constructed by Adrick and Evocare, designers that later went on to other MMOs (SWG and WoW respectively). Mesanna, who is still with you, and Brak, were at the forefront of testing this mess, and the entire development process strategy seemed to be release it and forget about it. More than just that, it seemed as though the clarion calls from the community calling out the massive issues and recommending simple stopgaps and fixes were almost intentionally ignored. 10 years later, factions remains broken in its most integral parts - no more than a tertiary system for procuring mildly improved artifacts.

I acknowledge my share in the blame for the failure of factions, at least as far as the Council of Mages is concerned. It was my eagerness to participate in what I thought was going to be a magnificent addition to Ultima that caused me to rally most of the population on Test Factions to the Council of Mages - maligning a previous perception on the part of those two original factions designers that the CoM could not be competitive due to its awful Stronghold and other major factors. Tom Chilton admitted to me at one point that the CoM almost didn't make it to the light of day.

My bad. Not that this excuses ten solid years on the UO development team's part of treating factions like the vaunted Virtue System. (Still nothing for Honesty? The system pre-dates Calandryll for god's sake.)

Regarding a classic shard - I am confident that you aren't that stupid. You are already maintaining two code branches, one for Classic and one for Enhanced. If you actually had a community manager, he or she would sit you down in a quiet room and tell you gently that the strength of player nostalgia in UO is the most powerful force veterans have, and they wield it like a cudgel. They would tell you that retrospection of the "golden age" of Ultima is a grand pastime, and that people, while claiming to have loved it, in fact thoroughly hated it but put up with it because WoW wasn't even a twinkle in Blizzard's eye and there simply were no other choices. They would go on to tell you that 90% of the population claims to be hardcore, and would naturally benefit from a return to the "lord of the flies" style early UO, but that only 10% or less actually is. This community person would also pull out a laptop with Shadowbane installed on it, show you that it is impossible to log in to a game that no longer exists due to the core system being to grief every other player into quitting, boot up Darkfall and demonstrate the same thing.

As for the live story arc, I am perhaps the only person who is glad that this is no longer in the hands of Draconi. UO players on average don't have the backstory on Draconi, so they were never quite made aware of how incredibly poorly he managed the storyline and prime fiction arc of UO. Big reveal here - the length of time in between poorly executed storyline sequences was inexcusable, and largely due in part to Draconi's flaw of epic tunnel-vision. To spend literally six months working on a single, microscopic aspect of an event that lasted no more than 6 minutes in-game, which didn't even add that much or seem required is the height of bad development. And by the way, a six paragraph story update every three months doesn't count as episodic content, friend. UOers deserved far more than they got with regards to fiction and content, even from the most skeletal of live teams.

As for you, Cal. You've been on the UO team since September of 2007. Is three years not enough time to have picked up the lingo? "The team has been playing in Baja." You mean "on" Baja. As for those folks who used to take you aside and tell you how to play? Yeah, we called those Companions. As far as mages and LRC go, welcome to our hell. You will notice that mages in UO wear leather armor. Full leather armor, with mismatched pieces here and there, whatever we can find. This is as opposed to wearing robes, as in every other game where you play a mage. Reagents are required because Magery itself hasn't been updated since 1998, and the development team has been busy creating and recreating and re-recreating UO clients that no one will adopt for the better part of a decade.

I'm happy you and the execs enjoy the McDonalds on Baja, but this is not what UO is about. Ultima Online is about an epic struggle between good and evil played out in a diverse community of wizards and warriors. It is about the experience of a vibrant, living world that can tell the deepest stories and present the most compelling history - a rich tapestry of Virtue, darkness, life, loss and love. Ultima is about the characters that inhabit this world, their contributions and their meaningful impact. It is about merchants, dragon tamers, elves with gardens, mounted samurai archers and gourmet gargoyle cooks. It is about the relationships that Sosarians build, friendships, loyalties, nemesis and ally alike - the guilds and empires they watch rise and fall with the march of time. Ultima is all of this.

It is not about the McDonalds on Baja.
Hail Sosarians,

He said it so well I merely copy it and say "Well Said!"

An SoS

p.s. look me up ON Baja

A

AesSedai

- Great follow-ups, Cal.

I'm sure I'm not the only one that really appreciates hearing about the EC.
Also quite intrigued with the attention to improving core systems.

(I have a weakness in that I tend to focus on the UO foundation a bit, heh, among other things. For example: once or twice I heard that: cheating is bad ;))

Hope the Cheerios were good to ya'. I just enjoyed some ski jumping while thinking about #99 and the technical difficulties faced while the world was watching last night... nobody's perfect, eh; but that's what makes it so fun.
Thanks again.

E

Extra Value Meal

Err... lots of people in this very thread have offered ideas on ways to better serve the community at large in the game. Seriously. Go read the thread again. I'll wait right here. :coco:
Sigh, do you often misapply conjectures? Clearly my comment was directed at EVERYONE in this thread. Oh wait...

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Cal: Don't get me wrong or think I'm a nit picker as that is not my intent... I'm still rather sore about being called a CAREBEAR as I refuse to travel to FEL just to get neat new crap... I do it for reasons of my own.... but I don't hide or cower from going there... however I just don't care to be called a carebear... no I don't go to fel because I REFUSE to run hacks and cheats on my system.

I'm greatful for the addition of being able to finally play (Legally) more than one client at a time... LONG overdue.

I'm hopeful for the future of UO and the RP communities of all shards.

I'm happy to hear about improvements to what the EM's can do.... (They sadly still need a squelch especially for those folk who constantly show up to EM events spammy potty language... The occasional swear doesn't really bother me that's all part of RP... but the downright vulgar and rude speak laid out by a few time and time again gets sickening). I also don't understand why they can't give their own sashes out more often. Some folk are not about that once when the EM first appears... some come because they hear how good the EM is.. and would like something to remember. I have to say that I love the GL's EM's... and I certainly hope that you all continue the EM program and keep adding to it.

I'm still a tad annoyed with a few things however... that I mentioned in my previous post...

And finally... I wanted to say I'm extremely pleased to hear that you all ARE actually PLAYING UO... not just developing it... As in my opinion it takes playing it to really see and understand what is wrong with it. If ever you all want to come to GL's let me know and I'll give you a full on tour.

If I sound annoyed or nit picky it's not because I have anything against you... beside the carebear comment.... *furrows brow*... it's because I've spent the last 8 or 9 or more years of my life as often as I can playing UO and I have a passion for the game that I enjoy so very, very much and I want to make it better.

To me no other game even comes close to offering half of what UO already has... It's community, versatility and the ability to truly let loose your imagination and create whatever you can dream up makes UO the best game on the market. Saddens me that many folk can't see past the pixels to the content but this is the way with things... that and society anymore is about gimme, gimmie, gimmie, me, me, me... I sue you... instant gratification... I think the world has lost much of it's creativity and individual thought.... compassion and integrity ..... but maybe that's just me because I'm "old" now.

Extra Value Meal: I offered plenty of ideas.... things that need worked on... and reminders of promised improvements that I'm still waiting for! And not too happily at that. Though as per usual I feel many a time what I say falls on deaf ears... or in the case of forums... slips into the nothing as it's overlooked by blind eyes turned my direction.

E

Extra Value Meal

Extra Value Meal: I offered plenty of ideas.... things that need worked on... and reminders of promised improvements that I'm still waiting for! And not too happily at that. Though as per usual I feel many a time what I say falls on deaf ears... or in the case of forums... slips into the nothing as it's overlooked by blind eyes turned my direction.
I hear that, believe me. I just sometimes get a tad upset with people who go off on Devs when they finally do talk to us. Just feels a tad backwards to me, but I definitely understand the frustration.

G

GreyPawn

Couple of quick notes before moving on-
Thanks for the feedback on my original post. My post count is low because I only comment when I feel I have to. I prefer to speak rarely, but this compelled me to voice my thoughts. To Uriah Heep, thanks, and yes, I have most absolutely forgotten more about UO than some of the folks you mentioned know. I'm...not a proud man.

Please don't get me wrong, I wasn't demeaning the strength and power of the creativity behind the McLuna's, and I know and have seen the marvels that architects like Voluptuous and Sarsmi can create. I've posted in-depth on the miracles of emergent behavior in UO, most recently on the topic of the spread of religion in our game. (Check out this post on my blog about Churches in UO) What struck me hard was the concept of a loss of vision for UO, the notion of heading down the path towards aimless neon, corporatist, empty content. The recent "Lord of Ultima" Evony clone that was announced, the lack of quality communication from the dev team - despite a record glut of new content, artifacts and boss revamps.

The team has needed a good community goober for some time now, ever since the traumatic loss of Chrissay and Draconi, who were very vocal and very frequent with their interactions with the community. More than that, it has been my undying hope that the development team will learn from its past mistakes, mistakes which frankly have given rise to ENTIRE NEW STUDIOS and MMORPGS. When it comes down to it, it's about immersion. The best thing the dev team could do right now is focus on churning out content, delivering the best storyline ever and going full forced march back to the well from which the Ultima lore sprang.

You want to raise some serious eyebrows? Give us an ocean-based expansion, and give it to us free. Introduce The Avatar, and have him heal Felucca. Send the better parts of Malas, player-housing and all into the starry void - full on destruction. Give meaning to the game by throwing loss into the mix. Bring in the Fellowship, a horrible cult that spreads from Vesper to Jhelom. Show me The Guardian, and give the players the tools to fight him. Destroy Britain and rebuild it as the true Capitol of the realm. Stop the incessant urge to add more and focus on improving the glory of the things which already exist.

I'm not talking impossible either, from a practical studio standpoint. From a development perspective, this isn't expensive work. You've got a sprite-based isometric client for god's sake. Find a university and hire an army of bloody interns. Can you use Farmville? Good, you can world-build for UO. Even a half-******** chimpanzee on herion could throw together something resembling that Elven village we ended up with. And you know what? In terms of contract labor, I come REAL cheap, and I bet Sarsmi and Voluptuous do too.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The team has needed a good community goober for some time now, ever since the traumatic loss of Chrissay and Draconi, who were very vocal
I miss Wilki, who wasn't afraid to mix it up on the boards. Agree with him, disagree with him, whatever, he didnt mind telling it like it was, and throwing out the occasional Kiss My Arse when it was deserved.

G

GL_Seller

Cal: Don't get me wrong or think I'm a nit picker as that is not my intent... I'm still rather sore about being called a CAREBEAR as I refuse to travel to FEL just to get neat new crap... I do it for reasons of my own.... but I don't hide or cower from going there... however I just don't care to be called a carebear... no I don't go to fel because I REFUSE to run hacks and cheats on my system.
So let me get this straight u are upset about being called a carebear, but then u turn around and call everyone who plays in fel a hacker and a cheat? Give me a damn break get over urself. I play 99% of my time in Fel and on great lakes. I have never ran a cheat nor plan to.

WarderDragon

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Tina Small said:
Warder Dragon, I think Sakkarah used to be an EM on Baja. It wouldnt surprise me if she's filling that role once again. I'm not trying to knock what's happening on Baja. It looks like it's been great fun for the people that got involved with it and enjoy that sort of stuff. But I think you just might have an EM there who has a few more tools in her toolkit than the rest of the EMs.
Wrong.

What I am talking about is not the artificial bonuses and the favoritism you seem to be implying is happening on the Baja Shard. We've received no more and no less than any other production shard, save that we have an active pair of event moderators who see their shards roleplayers as co-storytellers and friends rather than trying to dominate and tell the story for us. We have event moderators who managed to prompt some of the shards most infamous PvPers into roleplaying. Who can boast that? I'd bet money that your shard can't.

We've been blessed in that regard. And yes, our previous event moderators include CrazyJoe (EM Vincent) and Sakkarah.

But what am I talking about? On Thursday night, we had an event hosted by the Baja Roleplayers Alliance (with help from the Event Moderators and the Baja Cathedral Auction House) to celebrate the 12th Anniversary of the Kingdom of Dawn. A Celebrity Auction to benefit the Moonglow Royal Zoo. Who attended? Why, none other than Mesanna, who watched and actually participated in a little of the fun until some jerk from Atlantic came and started harassing her.

This isn't the first time. Mesanna appeared at the Skara Brae Bazaar last summer to have her palm read by our shards resident Gypsy Soothsayer.

Tina Small said:
They're used to seeing the same old people show up and win most events and know how to jostle each other accordingly. I'm not sure that would always go over so well on a shard with a larger population.
You have one very misinformed perception, Tina.

Tina Small said:
Maybe some day all those empty spots Baja has sprouted of late will be filled up with masses of role players who made the transfer there from another shard to enjoy the EM events.
Our roleplaying community actually consists of transfers from other shards (Great Lakes and Chesapeake primarily), and former non-roleplayers from the Spawner and PvP-communities who've found they enjoy participating in the story.

The veteran roleplayers like Cymidei Fier, Wildstar, and I, are few and far between.

Tina Small said:
I truly mean no disrespect for the fine people who play on Baja. I love some of you to pieces even though I rarely get to talk to you. I just hope some of you realize we're not all cut out to do role playing. And if the future of most events in UO is that they will be EM-driven, I wonder how many people like me who don't want to be involved in intricate plots on a weekly, nay daily, basis will continue to feel involved in the developing history of UO.
It sounds to me (and correct me if I'm wrong) that you belong to that same vocal minority of players who were irate a couple months ago because our event moderators don't create items to prompt people to the events, and don't focus on pointless multi-hued spawns for a minority of unscrupulous individuals to script loot and dupe.

Wheee! Our event moderators explain why they just spawned Gargish Warlords in the middle of Britain. Lets tar and feather them! How dare they tell a story!?

Tina Small said:
With each shard doing its own thing, I have to admit I'm really confused at this point about just what direction things are heading in story-wise for UO and whether or not we will ever see much again in the way of fiction that ties all the shards together and gives them somewhat of a common history and purpose.
The shards were always meant to be different. It was out of sheer laziness of previous development teams that prompted these lifeless story scenarios that ultimately amount to no more than a carbon copy replicated on each and every shard.

You want every shard to be the same? Don't make me laugh.

Zalan

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
*Throws a Soul Glaive at Cal_Mythic*
*misses target*

Yep working as intended.

Kirthag

Former Stratics Publisher
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
Kirthag said:
1 - Nice attempt at connecting by playing "in" Baja, but you need to play on a crowded shard in a different time zone with seriously active players to get a REAL taste of UO. Baja is nice... but is considered a smaller shard and by no means should be representative of the entire game. Your vision is being colored just a bit too rosey.
Visit Baja. You'll see that we interact with our developers and event moderators as fellow players (and sometimes roleplayers), rather than mauling them the first opportunity given.

There is a reason they visit our shard. I could elaborate, but it would probably fly right over peoples heads.

I do play on Baja. Is one of the few shards I get a decent enough ping on to do some serious PvP when in the mood. I know who you are... and yes, Baja is a very nice shard. However, the issues and problems that are prevalent and perhaps most needing of attention are minimal on Baja... and should be witnessed on other more populous shards.

But then I look at the bricks & mortar of a game (read: program) and see that best practices at EA/Mythic are not always followed. Even back when Origin was still maintaining and building, I b*tched about following best practices, quality control, and testing.... *shrug*

Anyhoo... I go back to my main shard of Napa for I have an event to host tomorrow.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You want to raise some serious eyebrows? Give us an ocean-based expansion, and give it to us free.

I'd rather much prefer that they charged for it and used the added resources to hire more people to (finally) get rid of scripting, hacking and cheating in the game FOR GOOD...

athos_uo

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks for your letter.

I'd like to ask you to give us Japanese players a bit of more clarifications.

Quote from the letter:
Given that, we're giving Event Moderators a few more tools that will allow them to create better gaming moments. This does NOT mean making better things to give to their friends, it means creating better creatures with interesting behavior that will fry your noggin and add to your gameplay experience.
As you already know, Japanese shards don't have a system of Event Moderators. Then, to whom will the new tools mentioned above be given in Japan? Will you designate some posts in Japan for those tools, or will you give those tools for EA Japan UO team to be able to use freely? Or we don't get those tools and EA Japan UO team will do the things, that EMs on US/Euro shards do, at their own discretion? Or, originally, must I not ask you, but must I ask EA Japan about this?

Zalan

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The Asian shards still have Seers & Companion program. Thats who would get the new tools there.

U

UOKaiser

I'd rather much prefer that they charged for it and used the added resources to hire more people to (finally) get rid of scripting, hacking and cheating in the game FOR GOOD...
And replace all those players with who? I don't see Tv commercials,shelf presence,advertising,Even attracting players who are born into the high end graphics real like character age that don't care about content and just looks to pay 14 dollars or so a month with tax in most states in a messed up real world economy where everyone is cutting corners,stores are closing down,houses repossesd,price raise on everything,wages non chaging,unemeployment still at all time high. Yea I think we can wait for that untill the problems i mention get resolved. So bring in the sea expansion I want to be a pirate and have ship wars.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
And replace all those players with who? I don't see Tv commercials,shelf presence,advertising,Even attracting players who are born into the high end graphics real like character age that don't care about content and just looks to pay 14 dollars or so a month with tax in most states in a messed up real world economy where everyone is cutting corners,stores are closing down,houses repossesd,price raise on everything,wages non chaging,unemeployment still at all time high. Yea I think we can wait for that untill the problems i mention get resolved. So bring in the sea expansion I want to be a pirate and have ship wars.

I'd rather prefer playing a game with less players but no cheats allowed than a game with more players around but infested by cheats and hacks......

Besides, having met players over the years who left the game having had enough of cheaters, I would hope that as soon as word of mouth spread out that UO was finally free of scripts and hacks, some would perhaps come back to UO.

At least, that's how I see it.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It sounds to me (and correct me if I'm wrong) that you belong to that same vocal minority of players who were irate a couple months ago because our event moderators don't create items to prompt people to the events, and don't focus on pointless multi-hued spawns for a minority of unscrupulous individuals to script loot and dupe.
Nope. Wasn't me. I couldn't care less if the EMs make items or don't make items to give to people. The only thing I've ever gotten from any EM on any shard is a cloak of something-or-another on Siege just because I happened to go to an "intro to Siege" night that ended up including a dungeon run and the EM gave all the participants a cloak. I happened to blessed the cloak seconds before the PKers showed up and killed my character multiple times in an attempt to get it.

I'd actually prefer it if the EMs never handed out a single thing. However, it's probably too late to close that barn door--the horse is long gone. Besides, too many of the rares collectors and merchants would whine and you'd probably never see the end of their complaints.

What I was trying to say is that Cal and company need to realize that not everyone who plays UO wants to get involved in role playing and attending EM events. Some of us just don't have the time or interest to stay on top of the stories. Even when we try, the task soon becomes impossible (e.g., I'm still trying to figure out if Aino Nystad's character was played by an EM or just a regular player on the shard).

I miss very much reading event fiction from the developers that helps give each shard a common history. I also miss being able to go to events just for the sake of hanging out with other people on the shard with no other purpose than to fight a common enemy and reach a particularly difficult goal. I loved the ophidian invasion and probably would have also loved the Brit invasion before it if I hadn't been so new to the game because it was easy to just drop in and kill stuff when you actually had the time to do it. And in the end, we accomplished something by clearing out the invasion and it took the efforts of many many people to get it done.

The faction-related town invasions were okay to a point, except that there seemed to be no real story behind them and it never felt like any progress was being made.

The EM stuff......I don't know. It just does nothing for me. I don't want to have to become best buddies with the key role players on a shard just to have some idea of what the heck is going on and where things are headed or to figure out who is on each "side" if events happen to be held in Fel. I also don't want to go to events and read more of the bantering I've sometimes seen. When you don't go to events very often and still aren't sure whose characters are played by EMs and whose are being played by regular players, it is rather off-putting to see stuff like jokes about the sexual preferences of another character. Is it an EM that's stepping out of line or another player? Hard to tell when the person making the comments and jokes seems to be a key character in an on-going story line. I also have no desire to get involved with things like elections or deciding who is going to represent certain groups of players. Shard politics is something I try to avoid, but unfortunately it seems like EM activities don't or can't.

I hope that Cal and the team don't forget about the players who don't enjoy role playing and don't want to get involved with EM-run activities, for whatever reason.

Edited to add the following:

I'd bet money that your shard can't.
By the way, I started playing on Baja over five years ago, a few weeks after I started playing UO. I still have several houses and characters there. Unfortunately, like many people who still play, I saw many of my friends eventually quit playing UO. I'm still in touch with a number of them, but they seem to have no interest in ever returning to UO. So at this point in time, there's next to nothing left to make me feel a very strong connection with Baja anymore. I try to pop up at events now and then, but it happens less and less often because I truly feel like a stranger there. Even the deer carcass and books on my main house's doorstep do little to make me feel connected anymore.

Surgeries

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Cal, perhaps your team should consider sharing a house on Origin and building up characters there so you can help out with testing anything new you plan to throw at us. I think you'll find a fair number of Baja residents you may have already befriended also have characters on Origin and the two shards even share some Stratics reporters and moderators.

Perhaps knowing the UO team is playing on Origin and possibly even testing the PvP waters there would convince other players to start up new Origin characters so you have an experienced crew ready and willing to test out the faction changes when they hit Origin.
This^^^^^

Brilliant, I say.

athos_uo

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The Asian shards still have Seers & Companion program. Thats who would get the new tools there.
I think companions in Japan don't have enough power to use such tools. They can only help new players to be accustomed to playing in the game.

Seers in Japan are not the equivalent of Event Moderators. They usually don't appear in front of people and I guess that they can only help Event GMs backstage. So Seers don't have enough power to use such tools, either.

U

UOKaiser

I'd rather prefer playing a game with less players but no cheats allowed than a game with more players around but infested by cheats and hacks......

Besides, having met players over the years who left the game having had enough of cheaters, I would hope that as soon as word of mouth spread out that UO was finally free of scripts and hacks, some would perhaps come back to UO.

At least, that's how I see it.
That is not why people left. There were so many issues over the years. The population of freeshards that allow cheats look more populated than some of ea's shards and thats saying alot as we don't have many people. I can deal with scammers,cheaters,scripts,hacks,nerfs,unwanted game changes,even the tax they put that i have to pay now. But I know I can't deal with ea shutting down Uo cause there is no renevue going in. Would feel all my years and accomplishes in UO will account to nothing because there will be no more UO. Sure it won't happen overnight but while the dev try to find a way to bring people in with so much against them while so many leave and funds become low within a few months they will be forced to close shards down then the vets of those shards will leave because those who wanted to leave would of left causing a chain reaction just like other online games that closed down.
After all this time we are still playing and still running everything must be done to keep the game going. Many can have good spirits but it all boils down to money. EA is a company here for profit. If the DEV can't keep the profit up Ea will take measures to cut loses especially in this economy.
I am willing to put up with alot as to show am still here after so much changes to the game paying my subscription. But If UO shuts down what was it for? Logicaly everyone must look at the books. Everyone should be shaky after the layoffs we got again at EA. We can't afford to lose subscriptions.

Right now the team should focus on game breaking bugs and making the EC client more useble. As well as fixing the incompleted SA expansion. After that add another expansion hopefully one that is complete then do a little advertising. Keep the spirit of UO. Then after things turn better and subscriptions start increasing they can focus on other things. If they don't increase then keep the current players happy.

S

siyeng0

(e.g., I'm still trying to figure out if Aino Nystad's character was played by an EM or just a regular player on the shard).
Hint: Yellow name = EM character. Although I can't blame you for missing her. She was only at the forefront of every single event - easy to miss if you were, say, somewhere else entirely.

I hope that Cal and the team don't forget about the players who don't enjoy role playing and don't want to get involved with EM-run activities, for whatever reason.
You have to sit through like five minutes of roleplaying and then you get to run around killing things. It's obvious beforehand which are going to be RP events and which aren't; if you don't like roleplaying, avoid the events with titles like "SUPER DAWN VALENTINE'S DAY POETRY COMPETITION" and only attend the ones entitled "SHOW-DOWN OF GREAT ITEM-LADEN BLACK DRAGONS IN UMBRA." [Disclaimer: Fictional event names.]

And are you still upset because Casca and his idiot guard piddled in your cornflakes?

So at this point in time, there's next to nothing left to make me feel a very strong connection with Baja anymore. I try to pop up at events now and then, but it happens less and less often because I truly feel like a stranger there. Even the deer carcass and books on my main house's doorstep do little to make me feel connected anymore.
Well, that's a shame.

You seem to be asking for a cohesive game-wide storyline and fiction, but at the same time you don't want to roleplay and the sight of other people roleplaying during an event seems to break your heart. What exactly do you want from the EMs?

hakeem

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Mr. Producer.
I personally am quick to judge harshly. I must say, however, the insight to your decisions and efforts actually shows you have a genuine interest in this game, not just as a paycheck. Whether someone here agrees or disagrees with your opinion, you have shown their is thought in your views, and effort, and I applaud it.

I am really sorry to see that ofthe first half dozen responses or so, so much negativity was dumped on you and the team. Several guilding forces from this games dev's are gone recently. People who worked and lived in UO. There loss is felt in game, and I imagine their absense is felt in your area as well. Both in work load and input.

To so many of the doom-sayers, Give these people a (deleted) chance to try to get a vision, and try to implement it. I don't think working toward speeders and cheats, a full storyline, and content is throwing pixels at us.
I think some people have griped for so long, that even if given what the griped about, they still would gripe about not having a reason to gripe anymore.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Many can have good spirits but it all boils down to money. EA is a company here for profit. If the DEV can't keep the profit up Ea will take measures to cut loses especially in this economy.

I would gladly pay 50% more of my monthly subscription fee to raise the revenues for the Company that owns the game IF that granted me a cheat free game to play.

I have met several people over the years who left UO because they had enough to play with people who cheated to get ahead of them. I would imagine that they might consider coming back if they finally had the chance to play UO in a cheat free environment.

A

AesSedai

I would gladly pay 50% more of my monthly subscription fee to raise the revenues for the Company that owns the game IF that granted me a cheat free game to play...
- Aye popps!
As would I, if not even more than half again :)

I highly value a cheat free game. I once played Chess with a cheater, oh yes he knows who he is, and he did not do it again... I once played Monopoly with cheaters, oh yes they know who they were, and they did not do it again &/or I did not play with them again... Some people (many, these days?) just don't understand the true spirit of gaming; or so I've gathered. I guess my point is that I cannot kick out UO cheaters without a little help from our Company friends, in this iterance of glorious gaming; and I so wish we had a little help from our friends, in this instance (Yes, I just compared UO to Chess and Monopoly... so what? Bring it... ;))

Lord Gareth

UO Content Editor | UO Chesapeake & Rares News
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
With tongue in cheek I say .."Thanks for the welcome back guys ... See you around campus.)
Bout darn time Cal. Glade to see you speaking up but, the tongue is mine. :lick:

I have seen many wonderful things coming out in the last few months. The community support across many different shards is what I track. I suggest everyone here attends different shard events players do and the Event moderators do. Look around and see all the new and wonderful things going on. These past few weeks I attended a few Lake Superior events and Baja shard events. I regularly log onto the Catskills shard as well. Because Catskills has a smart lady there *Winks to Katherine* Even stopped by Sonoma for a Queen Mum events around christmas. Very impressive! I normally go to these shards under a different name because I like to be nosy. Plus it gets my creative mind going.

Now trust me I can be a _______. I voice my opinion on matters very loudly. Just ask the Chesapeake EMs because they have to deal with me. I use to be really, really bad with changes. I noticed this when I started to sound like my grandpa. I was very set in my ways. Its allowing people to steer the community in a direction they feel is correct. And guess what just like any other human they may make a mistake. BUT I also know they do listen and take suggestions. So why doesn't everyone take a step back from commanding the ship and allow the ones whos job it is to command for awhile? You know they do have a vested interest in making things work right. *smiles*

Little song dedication

[youtube]0Y3wX0GJrQA[/youtube]

Okay back to work. I'm three news stories behind. *Waves*

E

Edmond_Dantes

wah! hard to make it all the way through all of that, had to put on some reading glasses :)

Anyways.... Yes yes, there is a reason all of these people harbor so much anger. I'm sure it's quite hard to please everyone, as every update of any type of content and whatnot, someone with a different playstyle is neglected, so obviously everyone can't be happy. But we have a goddamn right to nit-pick, for we are funding the development and maintenance of this game, our game, and there needs to be some sort of discourse between players and development (I really liked the idea of in-game surveys). Yes it's quite nice to hear a squeak from the team from time to time, but to be honest, I have had so many bones thrown to me, I'm a little sick of it and would rather be in the dark 100% as long as things were getting done. Anyways, enough of that ranting.

I am 100% for the idea of classic server(s), and would love to play the UO I fell in love with. I do like where uo is at right now, and it has definitely come a long way, but I really dislike how pvp has become 100% item based and whoever has the most 100's of millions of gold to throw away on uber elite items, wins the game. I remember back in the day when you could stand your own against a 7x GM char without one skill GM'd yourself if you knew how to fight. I wouldn't play on any other server.

Lord Gareth

UO Content Editor | UO Chesapeake & Rares News
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
Given that, we're giving Event Moderators a few more tools that will allow them to create better gaming moments. This does NOT mean making better things to give to their friends, it means creating better creatures with interesting behavior that will fry your noggin and add to your gameplay experience.
You mean like this?

Aurelius

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Interesting newsletter, lots of stuff in there and I'm glad to see signs of better communications coming. But...

I've been here eleven years, and can't remember not being told speedhacking and cheating were a high priority to be addressed, better tools for EMs (or seers, or counselors) were coming, PvP needed to be made more appealing/balanced/interesting, the strength of UO is it's roots, or pretty much everything you have had to say so far.

Sorry if I sound like 'I've heard it all before', but - I've heard it all before. Several of your predecessors have told us these things. Then we lose a batch of developers, and get a relacement batch of earlier programmers returning and new faces appearing. Community relations collapse and get rebuilt. Each expansion brings in a few new skills and places, but there are balance problems, new bugs with items and systems, landmasses not quite completed at release date - some of which never get resolved or finished. Promises of newer and more thorough bug and QA testing appear, long periods of Beta test where faults are reported (and then are still in the release software), then stuff rushed through without even the cursory 'QA' processes that do exist being followed, and then a promise 'we'll do it better in future' - but never quite seem to.

Then we get a new 'producer', and the cycle starts again......

Good intentions are easy. Everyone has them, some people post them. I'm still waiting to see the results of this cycle of 'management' of UO. Until then, sorry, but I'm remaining unimpressed. The game survives on it's own strengths and community, it could go so much further if the company running it understood it and developed it. Let's wait and see if you can get those undoubtedly good intentions changed into reality on the servers.

T

theBaddestMug

I'm just gonna quote a friend what I told him EA is talking about a classic shard again, "You have no idea dude- I still like have dreams and think about UO. Mad fun times that was."

I don't think a majority of people who play UO today ever got to enjoy UO as it was before AoS or even Tram. and how many people truly loved UO before those to major changes.

C

canary

Interesting newsletter, lots of stuff in there and I'm glad to see signs of better communications coming. But...

I've been here eleven years, and can't remember not being told speedhacking and cheating were a high priority to be addressed, better tools for EMs (or seers, or counselors) were coming, PvP needed to be made more appealing/balanced/interesting, the strength of UO is it's roots, or pretty much everything you have had to say so far.

Sorry if I sound like 'I've heard it all before', but - I've heard it all before. Several of your predecessors have told us these things.
Then we lose a batch of developers, and get a relacement batch of earlier programmers returning and new faces appearing. Community relations collapse and get rebuilt. Each expansion brings in a few new skills and places, but there are balance problems, new bugs with items and systems, landmasses not quite completed at release date - some of which never get resolved or finished. Promises of newer and more thorough bug and QA testing appear, long periods of Beta test where faults are reported (and then are still in the release software), then stuff rushed through without even the cursory 'QA' processes that do exist being followed, and then a promise 'we'll do it better in future' - but never quite seem to.

Then we get a new 'producer', and the cycle starts again......

Good intentions are easy. Everyone has them, some people post them. I'm still waiting to see the results of this cycle of 'management' of UO. Until then, sorry, but I'm remaining unimpressed. The game survives on it's own strengths and community, it could go so much further if the company running it understood it and developed it. Let's wait and see if you can get those undoubtedly good intentions changed into reality on the servers.
This post sums up most everything I dislike it Cal's letter. Let's SEE something. I'm tired of empty promises. Very, very tired. Anone who has been here enough years has seen pretty much the exact same promises of 'SOON' and 'IT'S BEING DISCUSSED' and then we get, for the most part, the same constant retread of stuff that the majority doesn't even ASK for. It's sad and disheartening, and appalls me that so many on here are like sheep that fall for whatever line they are given.

What was that dumb line from Jerry McGuire? 'Show me the money'. Until then, it's just words on paper from Cal. Nothing more.

G

Green Mouser

Freeshards are crap. The manpower that EA/Mythic devoted would be rewarded with returning players and their subscription dollars.

I personally know many former subscribers that would return for a look at a Classic Shard. Would they stay forever? I don't know. But it would cause a LARGE NUMBER of former players to reactivate their accounts to take a look. It would be a fun 6-12 months! A new shard with old rules, ready for the taking! SIGN ME UP.
I think your hypothesis is really only based on you. Humanity is driven more the need of "what can I get" not "what can I have again".

Alot of people liked Pong when it came out but I bet very few would have given up their Atari 64 to go back to it.

T

Terrorknight

I agree with a few people that posted most people that post are going to complain. People don't usually take the time to compliment the good. To some its like calling your plumber and telling him his quick fix didn't fix. But you wouldn't call him to say that he is amazing and you can now do your business. I am just glad ea is sending something. I remember when they'd go months and not say anything. Uo is a classic. And I do hope someday soon they find a way to get new players instead of depending on vets to come back.

C

canary

I agree with a few people that posted most people that post are going to complain. People don't usually take the time to compliment the good. To some its like calling your plumber and telling him his quick fix didn't fix. But you wouldn't call him to say that he is amazing and you can now do your business. I am just glad ea is sending something. I remember when they'd go months and not say anything. Uo is a classic. And I do hope someday soon they find a way to get new players instead of depending on vets to come back.
Yes, that is called 'The Present'. That is why you saw Cal write a letter... due to the 500 threads asking where any Devs are.

BTW, plumber analogy? You ALSO wouldn't call him without seeing his work to tell him how thankful you are he is so on the ball, prompt, and professional. You thank him after you've seen him accomplish something.

IanJames

Certifiable
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
A few comments:

1) It's about damn time you made some new EM tools. Thank you. I'm sure the EM's are going to be happy.

2) IF you make a classic shard, I hope you have the resources to support it properly. The track record for support on Siege/Mugen has been sketchy at best. I still think that a Siege/Mugen Test Center should be created and if you make this "Classic" Shard, a test center for that should be created as well. Too many times things have had "unintended consequences for Siege" that remain unfixed.

3) I wish you would bother to make updates on a more frequent basis. People would be less cranky if you did that.

4) The DEV team should try making characters on Siege or Mugen so you really know what the difference is between there and production, and not just know on paper. It would make supporting those two shards much easier for you.

T

Terrorknight

Yes, that is called 'The Present'. That is why you saw Cal write a letter... due to the 500 threads asking where any Devs are.

BTW, plumber analogy? You ALSO wouldn't call him without seeing his work to tell him how thankful you are he is so on the ball, prompt, and professional. You thank him after you've seen him accomplish something.
yea lol had to use the plumber since they used it so well in the recent presidential race lmao.

hawkeye_pike

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
To my opinion, shards with classic rulesets - be it Siege or Mugen where everything is a little more difficult, or even a pre-AOS shard - are not a step into the right direction. People who keep asking for such shards do this for certain reasons:

1. Trammel/Felucca split - Really one of the worst solution for the PvP griefing problems. Players would have needed realistic tools to counter criminals. Also, there was a lack of punishment for notorious criminals without destroying their playing style. Splitting UO into an Unlimited Griefer's Paradise (Felucca) and a SIMS-Game for Pixel Hoarders (Trammel) leaves those players, who enjoyed all the greys between black and white, standing in the rain.

2. UO becoming too item based - While increasing the equipment complexity added a lot to diversity and crafting, the introduction of overpowered items (artifacts, runic crafted super items) and insurance turned PvP and PvM into a risk-free item-fest. Imbuing was a great addition, and it is able to level the playing field a bit. But look at the world today: After 2 weeks of training, the Legacy Dungeons are already boring for the average player. The devs have to add monsters with more and more hit points to give us a challenge, leaving all the old content to die.​

Solve these issues, and players will come back to UO in large numbers. No need to create a classic shard with a whole different codebase to maintain.

Most freeshards added a lot of intelligence and dynamic to UO, instead of increasing landmasses and adding more dungeons/creatures. That's what makes them interesting for a certain group of players. People don't play freeshards to save money, but because the playing experience is much more intensive. UO Developers should take a look at what is created on freeshards, just to get an idea about the potential of this game.

S

Stupid Miner

2. UO becoming too item based - While increasing the equipment complexity added a lot to diversity and crafting, the introduction of overpowered items (artifacts, runic crafted super items) and insurance turned PvP and PvM into a risk-free item-fest.
I wouldn't be entirely against a scaled reduction in item property power. Such as, max property cap, and each individual property scaled down by 20%.

However, I *love* the possibilities that item properties open for a character. It adds an entirely new dimension. There's no need anymore to have one's characters bound by "class skills": Generic Fighter, Mage, Tamer, Bard, etc.
Item properties very effectively bash down the barriers between and even within the "base classes."
Used to be a fighter was a fighter, nothing really special. Options between Macing, Fencing, and Swords, but that's about it.
Now, it's very easy to make a character type that's almost completely unique, with strengths and weaknesses completely different between characters, even with the same exact skills.
Some people like to be able to have simpler chars; I don't. I love designing, redesigning, and tweaking my template to perfection. It's a point of pride that, typically, after fighting someone for the first time, win or lose, they all end up asking "What the heck is your template?" :D

Imbuing was a great addition, and it is able to level the playing field a bit. But look at the world today: After 2 weeks of training, the Legacy Dungeons are already boring for the average player. The devs have to add monsters with more and more hit points to give us a challenge, leaving all the old content to die.
Yea, this is a general problem for several MMOs (or so i hear).
Simplest way to fix would be to increase the difficulty of older dungeons, scaled based on dungeon level. We don't want to slaughter the newbies in shame with paragon Ancient Wyrms. :p

But something like:
Level 1 of a dungeon gets a minor difficulty increase: add some weaker ore elementals in a couple spots for Shame.
Level 2 significantly harder: Higher level elementals for Shame, possibly up to Gold Ore Eles and possibly some other elementals, like Ice and Snow and a few Acid, and maybe 1 Poison location.
Level 3 Much harder: Comparable to some of the newest dungeon locations like Sanctuary.
Level 4: Makes the Prism of Light look like a playground.

Basically, make them what they were, but updated accordingly to how difficult they were for the characters they were made for when they were introduced.

S

Stupid Miner

Next: is there ever going to be a classic shard? I will tell you … it’s a good idea … in theory. In practice it gets a LOT more complicated. We had a Saturday lunch recently (the same method we used when we were developing for Stygian Abyss), and discussed the benefits and costs (resource and impact to community) for developing a Classic shard. First we discussed what does a Classic Shard really mean? We came up with some core ideas and left it at that. There are several other things surrounding the implementation, and we almost have it nailed. Will we do it? I don’t know and cant’ say for certain, but at some point we will put the idea to rest one way or another, and we hope to make that decision this year.
Don't take this as an insult; I mean it as a constructively critical question:

You Devs can't even keep track of keeping Siege separate from production shard content, what makes you think you could do so for a Classic shard?
If you need examples, I'm sure there are plenty of SP-players that'll be willing to write a list of them if you ask.

Status
Not open for further replies.