• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[UO Herald] Official Response to Multiboxing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Multi-clienting = logged in with more than one character, only one active at a time, you switch between them. Only a problem if you're afk macroing with them. Otherwise perfectly acceptable.

Multi-boxing = logged in with more than one character, using special software to cause all to be active at the same time and controlled simultaneously by the same keystrokes.
The program used does not affect the datastream per se, therefore cannot be deemed illegal - however the use of it in UO is considered to be macroing, which is illegal (I think)

Z

Zyon Rockler

Well, this is really confusing. First of all, if they don't want us to run 2 clients at once, why don't they just put it back the way it was? So, you can only open 1 at a time.

Second, I think it's great that people can run more than one account at the same time. Examples: Trading items, dressing characters, rezzing pets, repairs. There's a pretty long list of things. If this is not allowed, they should say all of these things.

I understand the illegal macroing but they're 2 seperate issues, I think. For example: In my house, we have 5 computers and 4 people and soon I hope to move everyone into one office, once i'm finished doing it. I'm hoping this will give us a great advantage because we are able to communicate with each other so easily, plus we can make all of our macro systems identical. Also, our clothing and weapons and our technique. This helps make communication easy. Like, saying, hit F4 would not work in global chat but if I say it in my office, everyone does the same action.

So, what exactly is illegal? Do we have to be in serperate rooms or seperate houses now? What if I hire people, like 10 people. Is this illegal to do? What if I build robots and program them to play UO or what if computers become voice activated and I can simply give verbal commands to thousands of computers?

I don't think, I understand, what boxing really is and they need to define it. I would just make it so you can only open one client, like it used to be.

KevinBrightstar

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My simple answer is
You may use more than one client.
You may not macro in one client or even in two clients.
Do not macro away from comp or use unaproved uo programs .Which is any program not with in the list .

hmmmz the more I think about explaining it the more I began to become confused.
What pray tell is legal maccroing?

Kellgory

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
A lot of people assume that if you multibox, then you are unattended macroing all the tim
I've multiboxed several times and never macro unattended. It's the easiest way that you can do certain things such as:

- Transfer pets between characters
- Transfer a houses to a different account
- Add another of your own character to your own guild
Those are all legal examples since your starting an action on one char then switching screens to the second char and accepting the action. For the majority of players this is how they use multi-boxing. As people have pointed out, those that are doing illegal activities using multiple clients know that they are doing it, and I suspect there are some here that are doing it and are trying to split hairs on what exactly is illegal. My biggest issue will they enforce the rules. This isn't the first time we were told here is the official responce, and it seems like the people in the departments that enforce the policies never got the memo. For now I'm filing this as a nice speech and no action, but I must admit I'm growing quite fond of the smokey warm air as it floats across my back side. Will those found in violation be add to the excel spreadsheet?

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Normal multi-clienting is fine. No problems.

The problem lies in the use of software that links them all together so that one keyboard and mouse controls all the logged in characters simultaneously.

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
Normal multi-clienting is fine. No problems.

The problem lies in the use of software that links them all together so that one keyboard and mouse controls all the logged in characters simultaneously.
:thumbup1:

E

Eyes of Origin

It amazes me how its been explained over and over since the post was first made and people are still confused....

Are you guys even reading posts that have been made that clearly explain what the Devs post meant or are you just posting to post?

*Read the posts first, then post if still confused*

Flutter

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
It amazes me how its been explained over and over since the post was first made and people are still confused....

Are you guys even reading posts that have been made that clearly explain what the Devs post meant or are you just posting to post?

Because there is confusion on "what the Devs post meant" there will be people who will still claim (and presently are insisting) what they are doing is legal. (for various reasons not covered in the initial declaration)

RawHeadRex

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
this is no different than it being legal to make personal backup copy of movies etc but the means to do so are illegal. :danceb:

C

Capn Kranky

Which then comes back to CS response in a timely fashion.

To which I respond "what CS?"

Madrid

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Explained by who? On whose authority?

The statement posted by the Devs is as clear as Mud.

While it's easy to interprete what the Devs are trying to say the actual statement itself makes absolutely zero sense.

People are saying 'The statement means this and that" which for all intents and purposes are probably accurate. I agree with most if not all of those who have explained what the Devs are trying to say.

However that doesn't take away from the fact that people are deciphering and telling others what they believe statement means. The statement as is makes no sense.

It's the "this is" in the announcement that people are interpreting to others and telling them what it means.

People are guessing and while I agree with them the truth is no one knows what the "this is" in the statement means.

Like I said...clear as mud.

And I'm posting because I expect a little better and a little more clarity and professionalism. And I don't need anyone to interpret for me what the Devs are trying to say it's how they are saying it that I have issue with.

E

Eyes of Origin

There is a locked post that this post is direct relation to... and the Devs post even says that it deals with it. Perhaps if people would read before posting it wouldnt be clear as mud.

"This message functions as the global reply to the recent discussion we saw on the boards."

Locked thread this thread is in response to...

http://vboards.stratics.com/uhall/239440-stop-multi-boxing-uo.html

Madrid

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There is a locked post that this post is direct relation to... and the Devs post even says that it deals with it. Perhaps if people would read before posting it wouldnt be clear as mud.

"This message functions as the global reply to the recent discussion we saw on the boards."

Then the Dev Teams needs to include that in their announcement. It's not up to players to search and read other threads in order decipher the meaning of an announcement made by the Dev Team.

Amber Moon

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I really try to avoid harsh statements like this but...

I am amazed by posters here being amazed at this kind of sloppy statement or work by the team. Nearly every statement they make and a lot of the code changes to the game are sloppy in one respect or another. How can anyone that reads this board be at all surprised by this? This is absolutely typical of their work product.

And further, this is all the clarity you are likely to get on this subject. If you are worried something you do in the game might get you banned, then don't do it. :talktothehand:

E

Eyes of Origin

Multiboxing is not illegal but Macroing is, and this is considered macroing in UO. If you observe a player using multiboxing please report them and CS will investigate the report, per the TOS.

This message functions as the global reply to the recent discussion we saw on the boards.

More...
lol it does state that..... ok ok, those of us who were following the now locked thread and log into Stratics more often probably caught the meaning right away. Those who didnt follow and dont log in often probably missed the thread, so I can see where it would be confusing...
but im not the only one who posted the locked thread link, hence why I suggested reading all posts before posting :)

F

FishinFool

That you or others believe they understand the intent is not relevant.

They have issued a ruling which is not clear, in fact it contradicts itself.

Using terms that mean different things to different people and referencing a non-official, fan bbs that most people intentionally avoid for subject history is not acceptable for a 24-hour lockout let alone a bannable offense.

The simple fact that this is even possible is due to the use of prohibited 3rd party applications. You cannot do this with the built in features of the client - ergo, anyone doing this should be banned on sight . No need for this statement to begin with.

However, since they have done nothing but slouch on enforcing this sort of thing - we are where we are.

Flutter

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards

Madrid

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I really try to avoid harsh statements like this but...

I am amazed by posters here being amazed at this kind of sloppy statement or work by the team. Nearly every statement they make and a lot of the code changes to the game are sloppy in one respect or another. How can anyone that reads this board be at all surprised by this? This is absolutely typical of their work product.

And further, this is all the clarity you are likely to get on this subject. If you are worried something you do in the game might get you banned, then don't do it. :talktothehand:
I disagree I think most of their announcements have been pretty clear and concise.

I don't remember reading too many announcements and saying to myself "What!?" like I did with the above statement.

That's not to say UO doesn't have a history of releasing things to the public that haven't been tested thoroughly or aren't 100% complete.

Communication about upcoming events and announcements however have been fine as far as I'm concerned. The above announcement being the only exception I can think of.

Flutter

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
I daresay that Mesanna meant to type "Mutliclienting is not illegal" on the first line, but probably was in a hurry to make this post as she probably has a lot of other stuff to do.

I think it boils down to common sense. You can open as many clients as your computer(s) can handle. You cannot connect them all to the same macro (Mutlimacroing?) and synchronize them all to go kill Corgul, Slasher, The True Harrower, or your "enemy" faction mates.

Unfortunately Mesanna will have to come back and hash this out specifically for those pretending not to have any common sense.

Madrid

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I daresay that Mesanna meant to type "Mutliclienting is not illegal" on the first line, but probably was in a hurry to make this post as she probably has a lot of other stuff to do.

I think it boils down to common sense. You can open as many clients as your computer(s) can handle. You cannot connect them all to the same macro (Mutlimacroing?) and synchronize them all to go kill Corgul, Slasher, The True Harrower, or your "enemy" faction mates.

Unfortunately Mesanna will have to come back and hash this out specifically for those pretending not to have any common sense.
Flutter I think your spot on.

That would make the entire statement make sense.

Multiboxing I just come to find out is the software used to send keystrokes to multiple computers/applications.

I've never even heard the term until recently..that's why I was wondering why are they using that stupid term instead of multi-clienting.

I thought it was a toon/character thing.

T

Tazar

lol it does state that..... ok ok, those of us who were following the now locked thread and log into Stratics more often probably caught the meaning right away. Those who didnt follow and dont log in often probably missed the thread, so I can see where it would be confusing...
but im not the only one who posted the locked thread link, hence why I suggested reading all posts before posting :)
I even posted in the locked thread to kick it back to the front page for reference hoping it would provide a little more info on the subject.

red sky

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Assuming I've learned the proper definition of this "multi-boxing", they should be encouraging it, not deeming it illegal. Seems like more money for UO to me. Regardless of that fact that some people deem it unfair.

And looking at the post above, I assume we're referring to talented people here who are very good at multitasking. Power to em.

Viquire

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I even posted in the locked thread to kick it back to the front page for reference hoping it would provide a little more info on the subject.
Which made it easy to find and link to. So, thank you.

Viquire

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Assuming I've learned the proper definition of this "multi-boxing", they should be encouraging it, not deeming it illegal. Seems like more money for UO to me. Regardless of if some people deem it unfair.
Which would lead us to "the person with the most money to spend on monthly subs wins UO!" Yeah, that's gonna help the game long term, or not.
*edit*
Or actually money on subs wouldn't be the real concern at that point at all. No just a horrible idea.
*more edit*
The only way I can see this being fun is if all the people doing it can not wear armor or hold weapons and can only name their toons Fred or Bob.

E

Eyes of Origin

Assuming I've learned the proper definition of this "multi-boxing", they should be encouraging it, not deeming it illegal. Seems like more money for UO to me. Regardless of that fact that some people deem it unfair.

And looking at the post above, I assume we're referring to talented people here who are very good at multitasking. Power to em.
You're joking right? So we should encourage multiboxers to hunt you down in Fel and with the press of one key 6 mages FS you? Or 2 archers lightning arrow you, running shot or AI you to death?
Yea, I dont think so.

Amber Moon

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Maybe this will help:
Multi-boxing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Multi-boxing is NOT the same thing as dual clienting.
It is inclusive of dual clienting. From the wiki article you pointed to:

Multiboxing may be as simple as running two instances of the game on one computer (each logged in to a separate account) and switching between them
Which is part of what causes the confusion. The term means different things to different people.

Flutter

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards

It's not multi tasking at all lol
It's pressing the same button and having all 10 of your characters cast the same spell.
It is obviously not how the game was intended to be played.

Picus of Napa

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
All this is great but you have to actually have a GM show up first...GL that happening. Unless there is a massive change in the current way CS is handled nothing is going to change.

JC the Builder

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
LOL wow, someone is hooked (hope you did this only to show what *edit* multiclienting/multiboxing is lol)
But now that you posted the pics...... as long as those chars dont move at the same time or cast at the same time, and you only play one at a time, then what you're showing is legal.
I didn't do this, Xanthar did 11 years ago for Factions. It was to watch all the PVP hotspots for activity. It was allowed way back then so I don't see why it has suddenly become an issue.

Madrid

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Multi-Clienting yes I agree with you. And it does require some skills being able to switch between clients and be productive. Multi-clienting should be encouraged as it means more subscriptions and revenue.

Multiboxing come to find out is the name of the software that allows you to hit one button and all of your applications/clients perform that function. That's pretty darn cheesy and I don't support that.

And this is probably hypocritical. I don't even have a problem with say one client being botted but when you have guys doing 5, 10, or 20 then that's just blatant abuse and needs to be addressed. Something there is just wrong.:fight:

E

Eyes of Origin

LOL wow, someone is hooked (hope you did this only to show what *edit* multiclienting/multiboxing is lol)
But now that you posted the pics...... as long as those chars dont move at the same time or cast at the same time, and you only play one at a time, then what you're showing is legal.
I didn't do this, Xanthar did 11 years ago for Factions. It was to watch all the PVP hotspots for activity. It was allowed way back then so I don't see why it has suddenly become an issue.
Doing what the pictures show isnt the issue, JC. The issue is http://vboards.stratics.com/uhall/239440-stop-multi-boxing-uo.html
this

Flutter

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
What that is a picture of is not multi-boxing.
Hell it's not even multi-clienting.
All those computers are running seperate instances of UO and are not controlled by one keyboard or mouse.
They are not all on the same hard drive so they aren't multiclienting.
They are not on the same macro keys so they are not mutliboxing.

Luvmylace

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This is not hard to understand if you have been the recipient of theis exploit

legal = having more than one character on at a time,moving one at a time

illegal=using a program to run all 10 characters at once to flamestrike one person or multiples at the same time

ilot

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oh my god, they will bring back the infamous spread sheet again!!!

Seriously, how the hell are they gonna be able to investigate that kind of issue...they still cannot track speedhacker (using modded client), duper (people with increadible high ammount of items that should not exist in that kind of ammount) and simple scripter (using 1 client on 1 box doing 1 action)

This is a major statement..but with the extremely long response time from GM, paired with some people abusing the paging system..its gonna be hard to find those kind of people...with people playing on the same ip legitimely...

As other already said, put back the single instance mode and im pretty sure the case is closed...for the majority of multiboxer (read : RMT (yes again))

Spreadsheet, i salute you!

ilot

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I forgot to add this spendid quote from the wiki link...note that UO is listed in the allowed list...funny

Most game developers allow multiboxing in their games. To date, Age of Conan, Aion, Anarchy Online, City of Heroes, City of Villains, Dungeons and Dragons Online, EVE Online, Lord of the Rings Online, EverQuest, EverQuest II, Lineage, Lineage II, Ultima Online, Vanguard: Saga of Heroes, Warhammer Online and World of Warcraft all allow multiboxing.

E

Eyes of Origin

thats funny cause WoW bans people for doing this as well.

*edit* let me rephrase that... you can run multiple instances of WoW as well, but this 5+ chars moving together, all macro'd to one key, is not allowed and is bannable.

G.v.P

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This is not hard to understand if you have been the recipient of theis exploit

legal = having more than one character on at a time,moving one at a time

illegal=using a program to run all 10 characters at once to flamestrike one person or multiples at the same time
I'm skimming, but pretty much this post^

This program, which repeats actions in all open client windows, is the illegal thing Mesanna is addressing. Whether they can trace or do anything about it, well, who knows.

WootSauce

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
thats funny cause WoW bans people for doing this as well.

*edit* let me rephrase that... you can run multiple instances of WoW as well, but this 5+ chars moving together, all macro'd to one key, is not allowed and is bannable.
This statement is untrue. This is allowed in WOW.

T

Tazar

I forgot to add this spendid quote from the wiki link...note that UO is listed in the allowed list...funny

Most game developers allow multiboxing in their games. To date, Age of Conan, Aion, Anarchy Online, City of Heroes, City of Villains, Dungeons and Dragons Online, EVE Online, Lord of the Rings Online, EverQuest, EverQuest II, Lineage, Lineage II, Ultima Online, Vanguard: Saga of Heroes, Warhammer Online and World of Warcraft all allow multiboxing.
I never trust a Wiki - anyone can edit them to say whatever they want - true or not - verified or not.

Theo_GL

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
O man that is some old ugly hardware. I haven't seen a CRT monitor in years. You realize a 19in flat panel is like $100 right? Maybe pay for a few less accounts and get some better hardware.

To the people who are posting about 'why allow the client to run in multiple instances' - it doesn't matter. I can run multiple virtual machines on my machine and effectively run more than one client whether or not the client restricts it per OS. With an 8gb ram and quad core CPU laptop - not very hard to do.

I've actually got 15 DELL desktops sitting in my office that I'm trying to get rid of. Maybe I should install UO and get some mining scripts going on new accounts... hmm. Imagine running a vein dry with one click. LOL

L

LoL/Sonoma

O man that is some old ugly hardware. I haven't seen a CRT monitor in years. You realize a 19in flat panel is like $100 right? Maybe pay for a few less accounts and get some better hardware.

To the people who are posting about 'why allow the client to run in multiple instances' - it doesn't matter. I can run multiple virtual machines on my machine and effectively run more than one client whether or not the client restricts it per OS. With an 8gb ram and quad core CPU laptop - not very hard to do.

I've actually got 15 DELL desktops sitting in my office that I'm trying to get rid of. Maybe I should install UO and get some mining scripts going on new accounts... hmm. Imagine running a vein dry with one click. LOL
If you read up JC says that the picture is from 11 years ago. =)

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you observe a player using multiboxing please report them and CS will investigate the report, per the TOS.

OK, but "how exactly" can players tell that someone "might" be using "multiboxing" ?

It is not like they are going to say it flat out.......

So, what would be the visible pattern that tells out that a player might be using multiboxing ?

T

Tazar

OK, but "how exactly" can players tell that someone "might" be using "multiboxing" ?

It is not like they are going to say it flat out.......

So, what would be the visible pattern that tells out that a player might be using multiboxing ?
From what I understand, it would be fairly easy to spot 5, 10, or 20 characters in the same area all taking the same actions at the same time...

Thunderz

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have a screeny on one of my old comp/phone, that has a better set up then JCs from about 6 years ago.

3 laptops, 4 desktops all with there own hard drive and monitor [lol it seems old now to call them "monitors"] screens....

i had a keyboard and mouse for all of them but found it was easier to use 1 mouse and 1 keyboard for all 7 :D

HOW IN THE HELL is that illegal? Im watching all 7 screens, i can control all 7 individually if need be, they all have there own hard drive AND im paying £10 a month for each one.

I could use an illegal program to do all the work but heyy... technology has done it for us so now there gona say that illegal......

It wont stop me running all my accounts [1 on each server at the same spot at the same time mining :p

Thats all they will do "follow me" instead of 10 on 1 server use 10 on 10 servers :p :p :p

Thunderz

Status
Not open for further replies.