• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[UO Herald] Letter from the Producer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
TY for the letter. Some great stuff in there.

• New Paperdoll (time to change the diapers)
  • Revising UO Armor to make all types useful again
  • Revising pet slots
  • Pet Revamp
Please do not change the CCs Paperdoll it is fine the way it is.
More slots would be great.
Please do not nerf our pets, they have been nerfed enough.

UO Armor
When you are brainstorming this one PLEASE keep in mind that players have spent real money in the UOStore for
Forged Metal Tool 10 Charges (100% Enhancement)
to make some very nice suits. Please do not nerf these suits.

There is some items that should be on this list and has been broke for a long time.
LUCK
Please fix it.
LOYALTY DECAY
Lower the amount of decay per day.
Logging in every day does not always work, some people are still losing loyalty.

Last edited:

NBG

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you're lucky enough to be one of a handful of people that have shops in Luna/Zento then a game-wide Vendor Search IS a terrible idea.... If you own a home in the country and would love to have a vendor stocked with items that are useful to both new and old players, then a Vendor Search is a GREAT IDEA... and would go a long way to reviving the community we once had.
If Vendor search does happen, I would try to change my 3rd account's hosing location for sure.

NBG

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Please do not change the CCs Paperdoll it is fine the way it is.
More slots would be great.
Please do not nerf our pets, they have been nerfed enough.

UO Armor
When you are brainstorming this one PLEASE keep in mind that players have spent real money in the UOStore for
Forged Metal Tool 10 Charges (100% Enhancement)
to make some very nice suits. Please do not nerf these suits.

There is an item that should be on this list and has been broke for a long time.
LUCK
Please fix it.
Hmm like the more slot option for a costume slot.

Luck seems to work with the new dungeon system.

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Oh... one little itsy bitsy request..... If Order/Chaos is implemented, could we get a 1-time full pardon for our murderous characters? =)

NBG

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oh... one little itsy bitsy request..... If Order/Chaos is implemented, could we get a 1-time full pardon for our murderous characters? =)
Well if you are red, aren't you already in the system in a way since red --> Chaos are already limited to fel.

Maybe they can look into allowing reds in trammel with the order\chaos change?

Minerva Foxglove

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Great info! So much to look forward to. Life in Britannia looks brighter and more hopeful than in a long time!

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Hmm like the more slot option for a costume slot.

Luck seems to work with the new dungeon system.
Luck even in the revised dungeons really does not work. You get better stuff with 1000 - 1300 luck then you do with a maxed out luck suit. I burned a lot of runics, used a lot of resources and spent real money to make a max luck for my tamer and get a lot better stuff (usable and for unraveling) with 1000-1300 luck.

Last edited:

SlobberKnocker

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This depends quite laregely on how it's implemented. Suppose it's an opt-in system, where you have to pay gold to have your items listed on the vendor search, and pay for the length of time it's available (Like an AH) but if you chose not to, it won't show up? Otherwise, still a good deal to walk around and see what people don't put up in the search.

And potentially a good gold sink at the same time.
the opt in system for the vendor search is an awesome idea. this opens up the map for people who dont want or cannot have a luna vender.
the return to brittania event would be better served if it occurred after much of the brainstorming was implemented.
this game could sorely use an influx of population.
All in all though, this letter is very welcoming. At least you get a sense of direction.

Last edited:

Crysta

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Let me elaborate on what I said before..

See.. UO, like many MMOs, has a large population of what the rest of the world would call a**holes: people with massive egos and bad intentions that have tons of gold, oftentimes obtained illegitimately and with very little to do with it other than find new ways to grief everyone for fun (not saying everyone with a lot of gold is bad, or even most of them are.. tends to be just a few). Now, when someone tries to undercut these individuals on price, and they take notice, they buy out the smaller businesses completely, usually within minutes of stocking and generally causing the owners to eventually give up due to how taxing it would be to keep it up. The main counter for these types has been the small stores out in the middle of nowhere, or even just outside of the main vending areas of the world.. if they can't see it, they can't do anything.

I keep trying to tell people that if a vendor search comes into play, within days we'll see a permanent lock on specific commodities on almost every shard, with one or two people buying them out completely as they appear and charging insane prices to resell them. While this does mean that the low end vendors are getting paid, it also means prices will skyrocket several tens of times past where they already have. And this would likely not even be done out of greed, amazingly. It is much more likely that it would be done simply to piss off as many players as they possibly can because its "fun to harass noobs and weak trammies".

If the thing gets implemented and i'm wrong in my prediction, i'll readily admit it (should take two months at most to be able to figure out if I was right or not; i'm being very overgenerous with market reaction time here to be safe). However, i'm expecting to be saying "I told you so" very, very often.

Last edited:

NBG

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Luck even in the revised dungeons really does not work. You get better stuff with 1000 - 1300 luck then you do with a maxed out luck suit. I burned a lot of runics, used a lot of resources and spent real money to make a max luck for my tamer and get a lot better stuff (usable and for unraveling) with 1000-1300 luck.
I think that is a good thing where it balances between the template. You can have effective characters of different skills that can all be reasonably outfitted with luck without sacrificing too much on the armor stats.

It is behaving similar to version two of the game stating with D and made by B with it comes to handling stat that boost item drop. Devs might was to turn the curve up a bit for higher luck users but I think balance is good.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
This depends quite laregely on how it's implemented. Suppose it's an opt-in system, where you have to pay gold to have your items listed on the vendor search, and pay for the length of time it's available (Like an AH) but if you chose not to, it won't show up? Otherwise, still a good deal to walk around and see what people don't put up in the search.

And potentially a good gold sink at the same time.
Bad idea.
The only people that would pay for this would be the people outside that live outside the areas covered by the other no named sites.
To make that work UO would have to find a way to shut them out or shut them down.

NBG

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The Vendor search will need to be done so that no one person can spam the result list with pages and pages of same item.

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
Bad idea.
The only people that would pay for this would be the people outside that live outside the areas covered by the other no named sites.
To make that work UO would have to find a way to shut them out or shut them down.
not to get off on a tangent but this would be pretty easy to do a few lawsuits against all these sites and well...you get the idea. and its what they should have done long ago shut everyone of them down! and not just the search ones if you get my drift!

Goodmann

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you're lucky enough to be one of a handful of people that have shops in Luna/Zento then a game-wide Vendor Search IS a terrible idea.... If you own a home in the country and would love to have a vendor stocked with items that are useful to both new and old players, then a Vendor Search is a GREAT IDEA... and would go a long way to reviving the community we once had.
I disagree, i dont feel like recalling to X and trying to find some small house out in the woods to find whatever is for sale. Luna is much closer and easier

Picus at the office

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have never, ever, had a problem getting a vendor on any shard inside of Luna for either free or a slight charge. This idea that Luna is exclusive to a slight few is silly and far from true no matter which shard you want. No one is going to attempt to corner the market on most items just to grief, you might see it on something like powerscrolls if they still had actual value but otherwise I'd be stunned.

I'd also like to see the one time full pardon and FULL PVP CROSS SHARDS FOR CHAOS/ORDER. Let's get the old school hunting and defending parties that made UO a amazing game back in 98-00.

SlobberKnocker

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i think in terms of armor they are thinking as to how to bring back the usefulness of metal armor, not nerfing the forge tool.
it would be cool if they offered some incentive for a melee fighter to wear metal armor, or at least have something in place that it makes it the natural selection of a warrior.

Madrid

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Finally, we got a producer's letter that sounds like it was written by a producer of an MMO! It's been a few years since we got one of those.

High resolution graphics and improved EC tells me somebody realizes that new players are needed.

Chaos/Order tells me somebody realized that Factions wasn't working and that many former players loved Chaos/Order. This could bring some people back to UO.

Once my pre-paid time expires after the anniversary, I may just keep an account open and keep an eye on all of this.
High resolution art was talked about almost 2 years ago. It's just more propaganda as far as I'm concerned. Jeff's letter really solified the notion that UO is dead in the water as far as resources are considered. And let's not kid ourselves...this letter was due a LONG LONG time ago. UO Devs must be in a galaxy far far away.

Everyone wants more communication but If they don't follow through with 90% of what they communicate who cares.

There are some good ideas on the list but until they follow through on the one (High Resolution Art) I don't care about anything else on the list.

At the very least if they can't put the high res art together make the KR graphics available to players again.

SlobberKnocker

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I disagree, i dont feel like recalling to X and trying to find some small house out in the woods to find whatever is for sale. Luna is much closer and easier
there is a fine vendor out in the middle of no where on malas that i shop frequently on the chessy shard. a succesful merchant knows how to bring customers into their shop. this should not be limited to the confines of the luna city. a city which seems to bring about scorn from the older player base who use to congrugate in britain and britain presently a ghost town on most shards.

Last edited:

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I think that is a good thing where it balances between the template. You can have effective characters of different skills that can all be reasonably outfitted with luck without sacrificing too much on the armor stats.

It is behaving similar to version two of the game stating with D and made by B with it comes to handling stat that boost item drop. Devs might was to turn the curve up a bit for higher luck users but I think balance is good.
I am not saying to drop what people are getting with the lower luck, what I am saying is I and others that have spent real money from the UOStore making max luck suits should be seeing a lot better stuff then what we are getting. UO is selling a product and they are telling us the more the better when in fact this is not true. When people pay real money for a product they expext it to provide improvement not lower your chances.

Coldren

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Let me elaborate on what I said before..

See.. UO, like many MMOs, has a large population of what the rest of the world would call a**holes: people with massive egos and bad intentions that have tons of gold, oftentimes obtained illegitimately and with very little to do with it other than find new ways to grief everyone for fun (not saying everyone with a lot of gold is bad, or even most of them are.. tends to be just a few). Now, when someone tries to undercut these individuals on price, and they take notice, they buy out the smaller businesses completely, usually within minutes of stocking and generally causing the owners to eventually give up due to how taxing it would be to keep it up. The main counter for these types has been the small stores out in the middle of nowhere, or even just outside of the main vending areas of the world.. if they can't see it, they can't do anything.

I keep trying to tell people that if a vendor search comes into play, within days we'll see a permanent lock on specific commodities on almost every shard, with one or two people buying them out completely as they appear and charging insane prices to resell them. While this does mean that the low end vendors are getting paid, it also means prices will skyrocket several tens of times past where they already have. And this would likely not even be done out of greed, amazingly.
Answer to this in an opt-in system? Don't list your resources. If it's a concern that someone is going to by you out and resell at a higher price elsewhere (As really does now, but on a smaller scale), don't list them and make it harder for the jerks to find it.

Secondly, how do you know they are not doing so right now? You don't have a record of who buys whatever you put on a vendor, but with an AH system, you potentially could. So take it a step farther, and again, IF IMPLEMENTED right, when you list someone to a blacklist, their entire account can't buy anything from yours. They either have to have more accounts or have friends do it, and just keep chipping away at the list. Or maybe even an option to only return the search result if the person is in your guild or alliance?

Finally, if you charge a price to list it based on the amount you wish to sell it at, like most AH's, you can put up an iron ingot for 100k, but it's going to cost you say 20k just to list it. At some point, the benefit of jacking up the price is at least influenced by the cost of listing at that jacked up price. And if it doesn't sell in the time allotted (And it should be limited, like an AH, or it should continually withdraw the posting amount from your account until it sells), it's a complete loss for the seller, and they lose their posting amount. It's not in their best interest to put up an item for more than the market will bare. And this happens in many, many other games, yet they still offer the AH, and things still sell.

Again, I don't think the IDEA of a vendor search or AH is guaranteed to be bad for UO.. How it is IMPLEMENTED might be.

Last edited:

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Answer to this in an opt-in system? Don't list your resources. If it's a concern that someone is going to by you out and resell at a higher price elsewhere (As really does now, but on a smaller scale), don't list them and make it harder for the jerks to find it.

Secondly, how do you know they are not doing so right now? You don't have a record of who buys whatever you put on a vendor, but with an AH system, you potentially could. So take it a step farther, and again, IF IMPLEMENTED right, when you list someone to a blacklist, their entire account can't buy anything from yours. They either have to have more accounts or have friends do it, and just keep chipping away at the list. Or maybe even an option to only return the search result if the person is in your guild or alliance?

Finally, if you charge a price to list it based on the amount you wish to sell it at, like most AH's, you can put up an iron ingot for 100k, but it's going to cost you say 20k just to list it. At some point, the benefit of jacking up the price is at least influenced by the cost of listing at that jacked up price. And if it doesn't sell in the time allotted (And it should be limited, like an AH), it's a complete loss for the seller, and they lose their posting amount. It's not in their best interest to put up an item for more than the market will bare. And this happens in many, many other games, yet they still offer the AH, and things still sell.

Again, I don't think the IDEA of a vendor search or AH is guaranteed to be bad for UO.. How it is IMPLEMENTED might be.
Why would people being listed for free on other sites pay for something like this? They would not. So you end up pissing off the people that are not on the free sites because they have to pay. We DO NOT NEED TO MAKE PEOPLE UNHAPPY. This is free to all or it will never work.

Picus at the office

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just kill the idea of a ingame system, let the moron's with the site host that crap for free. Focus on stuff that ALSO enhances the game. Yes I would agree that if UO was new a ingame search would be needed but UO is not new, will never be new and it needs more pressing items than a service that is already "bought and paid for". Ya worst case is those sites close down and leave us all high and dry but if that was to happen UO is dead(if they can't find profit to be had no one is p(l)aying).

By bought and paid for I am speaking to a refrence of allowing scripting to be so wide spread....

Last edited:

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Well if you are red, aren't you already in the system in a way since red --> Chaos are already limited to fel.

Maybe they can look into allowing reds in trammel with the order\chaos change?
That'd be fine too, it'd just be a shame if pvp was opened to all facets sort of, and over 75% of my current pvp chars could not participate.

Coldren

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Why would people being listed for free on other sites pay for something like this? They would not. So you end up pissing off the people that are not on the free sites because they have to pay. We DO NOT NEED TO MAKE PEOPLE UNHAPPY. This is free to all or it will never work.
If you are referring to one of the illegal sites, free isn't free. From what I know of one of these unnamed site, someone has to actively look at all the items in the vendor and upload that list somehow, and therefore, doesn't do so automatically. As I have seen it in the past, it's not always accurate, even moreso outside of Luna. Not to mention that, well, it's not really LEGAL, not in the game, and not everyone knows about it.

If you are referring to putting something up on this site, making a post, asking if anyone wants it, then you have to watch the thread, track who wants what, agree to the offer, make arrangements for exchange, etc. This is hassle for anything but the highest cost items, and you don't do this on a daily basis anyway.

And, again, opt-in. If it doesn't make you "happy", just don't use it at all. If you're quite happy with the traffic your vendor gets, well good for you. If you live out in the middle of nowhere, have something for sale for 100k which is a great deal, you have the OPTION to let it sit on your vendor in the middle of nowhere for as long as it takes, or make it searchable and lose 10k. It's a choice, and with choices everyone wins.

But as Crysta pointed out, if EVERYONE MUST do it for FREE, or it's implemented in such a way that everyone can search every vendor unfettered and without consequence, that could potentially be very, very bad. Design it right, it could be great. Design it wrong, and it could be catastrophic. Making it free and unfettered, in my opinion, would not be a good idea.

Last edited:

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I'd be for a complete wipe of murder counts, and let order/chaos run across all facets. Those that don't opt in on either side won't be affected at all. Those that do opt in can play anywhere. If you go red again, fel baby, that's it for that char...
Besides, it was always entertaining to be at the bank, banking, and end up watching 2-8 people slug it out at the same time ;)

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Very nice letter. I look forward to see which of those listed items come to reality especially the chaos/order item.

phantus

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just keep in mind it's not ONLY the Luna people that are against this but they risk the most to loose. To some it's principle or nostalgia or realism that is the basis of their decision.

It's not that it's a great idea.(My opinion it is ;)) It's that it's a necessary idea. In 97 we didn't need this because we didn't know we needed this. 15 years later and numerous successfull integrations of AH has proven it's time to add this. UO (and it's players) need to move into the present MMO day and quit holding onto these things that hold it back and pandering to the really vocal.

I like this list and hope to see as many of these things come to fruition as possible. I also hope that it comes with a good portion of new content. I'd really love to see an actual expansion at some point rather than a booster but I'm a dreamer.

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Even with a vendor search the lucky few in Luna will still be in an optimum location...

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If you are referring to one of the illegal sites, free isn't free. From what I know of one of these unnamed site, someone has to actively look at all the items in the vendor and upload that list somehow, and therefore, doesn't do so automatically. As I have seen it in the past, it's not always accurate, even moreso outside of Luna. Not to mention that, well, it's not really LEGAL, not in the game, and not everyone knows about it.

If you are referring to putting something up on this site, making a post, asking if anyone wants it, then you have to watch the thread, track who wants what, agree to the offer, make arrangements for exchange, etc. This is hassle for anything but the highest cost items, and you don't do this on a daily basis anyway.

And, again, opt-in. If it doesn't make you "happy", just don't use it at all. If you're quite happy with the traffic your vendor gets, well good for you. If you live out in the middle of nowhere, have something for sale for 100k which is a great deal, you have the OPTION to let it sit on your vendor in the middle of nowhere for as long as it takes, or make it searchable and lose 10k. It's a choice, and with choices everyone wins.

But as Crysta pointed out, if EVERYONE MUST do it for FREE, or it's implemented in such a way that everyone can search every vendor unfettered and without consequence, that could potentially be very, very bad. Design it right, it could be great. Design it wrong, and it could be catastrophic. Making it free and unfettered, in my opinion, would not be a good idea.
Most everyone already knows about those other sites and EA has done nothing to them. YOU ARE MISSING THE MAIN POINT. WHY WOULD ANYONE PAY FOR THIS WHEN THEY ARE ALREADY LISTED FOR FREE, LEGAL OR NOT. And I think you will find them very accurate.

Orgional Farimir

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If we are going to do Order/Chaos PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE lets reds in order/chaos in to tram. Personally I say let all reds in, obviously no PvP unless they are in a guild war or Order/Chaos.

and IF you are going to make a PvP shard please let people xfer over 1 character per account with only their bank/backpack contents and allow them to place a 2nd house on that shard ONLY. I would be interested in a PvP shard, but not if I have to start from scratch.

J

Joey Porter

I'd be for a complete wipe of murder counts, and let order/chaos run across all facets. Those that don't opt in on either side won't be affected at all. Those that do opt in can play anywhere. If you go red again, fel baby, that's it for that char...
Besides, it was always entertaining to be at the bank, banking, and end up watching 2-8 people slug it out at the same time ;)
This used to be awesome.

Lady Silverbrook

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Most of this list has been in discussion with the UO team for literal YEARS (armor changes, paperdoll revamp, pet revamp, currency, pet hues, hi res art). While I am happy that Mesanna acknowledges these issues, anyone with half a brain reading these forums for years has seen the UO team bring these up as something on their radar.

Whether or not, like in all previous years, it will happen remains to be seen. I would have preferred her giving a list of what is going to be done to what is on the radar to then what is being talked about... showing priority to the team and what we could likely see. We were not... merely given a list of things that we have seen for years as being discussed by them.

Hopefully Mesanna will do right by the paying playerbase and finally do some of this list instead of merely giving lip service like what we usually have seen from the UO team for years. Nonetheless, I see nothing in this letter that actually provides real direction that something is being done. In other words, my accounts are going to stay closed and my time as a player in Sosaria has come to an end. I do not feel that they deserve one more dime from me. Maybe in 2014 if UO is around I'll see where it stands, but as of now I feel that UO will continue its downward trajectory. I suppose I have outgrown this game and its inability to reach any sort of new potential.

Last edited:

NBG

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I just think that Chaos towns and Order towns needs a rebalance hehe,

Maybe even add in City loyalty to its citizens as to if a town is Chaos friendly or Order friendly ect... Creating unique town makeups based on shard dynamic and could definitely give room for RP and other imaginative fun.

Coldren

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Most everyone already knows about those other sites and EA has done nothing to them. YOU ARE MISSING THE MAIN POINT. WHY WOULD ANYONE PAY FOR THIS WHEN THEY ARE ALREADY LISTED FOR FREE, LEGAL OR NOT. And I think you will find them very accurate.
I can see that it's highly likely that you like it, and there will be no changing your mind on this subject as you are giving the impression that you've grown accustomed to it or possibly even profited from it, but you are missing two very distinct points:

1) What you're using is not sanctioned by EA, and offers RMT. That makes it "illegal". Believe it or not, some people still respect that.

2) Not everyone uses it. And quite frankly, as it's not something approved by EA, all the people who may be impacted by a real search option supported by EA that use this unsanctioned site can rot. Those who use it know they shouldn't, and I garun-damn-tee that it does not cover even 10% of the vendors on any shard. It does not search every vendor in every house on every shard. Sorry, it just doesn't.

And that's all I can really say. Done right, it could work better with a larger reach than the site in question, and it would be legal to use.

Last edited:

Promathia

Social Distancing Since '97
Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
1) What you're using is not sanctioned by EA, and offers RMT. That makes it "illegal". Believe it or not, some people still respect that.
The only ones who have deemed RMT illegal is Stratics.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
And change vendor fees to a set percentage of sale, like 10%, when it sells! And do away with the daily vendor fees.

NBG

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hmm on the issue of character getting tied to gold..... I think we need to come to an agreement that eliminating gold duping would trump gold tracked as items.....

MedeaDF

Sage
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yes, a legal Vendor-Search/Site would be a fantastic idea - but please, whole Sosaria wise!

(I have a Luna shop, so feel free to comment on this... hehe!)

(And while we're at it - can we have MYUO back please? *grins*)

The letter in general is a very nice view on the coming months, and the 15years of UO, so I decided to buy another 6-months GTC already... can't wait to see what's in the store for the near future!

:beer:

Promathia

Social Distancing Since '97
Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Wrong...RMT being illegal is why ebay dropped selling UO stuff, as I remember it.
Wrong again. Ebay dropped ALL virtual transactions, not just UO.

UO has never come out and stated that RMT are illegal.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The only ones who have deemed RMT illegal is Stratics.
Actually, I think Stratics doesn't let it be discussed because EA required that as a condition for being listed as an official UO fansite. I'll try to dig up the info from the EA spokesperson on the issue from a few years ago, I think it was around 2007 or so, when Jeremy was still our community coordinator.

SlobberKnocker

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
maybe these ideas have been around but i think the board is pleased to see a renewed focus on them.

at least they didnt b.s. us with spread sheets and cheat programs.

Lady Silverbrook

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
maybe these ideas have been around but i think the board is pleased to see a renewed focus on them.

at least they didnt b.s. us with spread sheets and cheat programs.
True, but I would only urge players to remain cautiously optimistic regarding the implementation of any of these ideas given the UO team's track record of both BS and not following through on what they started.

Perhaps I am a bit jaded but maybe players might wish to save the applause until some of these are actually implemented. I am glad that Mesanna has a list on what she wants to focus on, but the 2012 track record itself was pretty bad. 'Cooking' or not, players have still waited over a year for ANY hi res art samples beyond a smattering of stone walls.

Mesanna's biggest foe in all of this is herself. I'd suggest she drop the veil of secrecy act over at UO and begin a bit more transparency of what the team actually wants to do and is doing. The list on paper looks great but as the year progresses she needs to keep players in the know. Details like storylines are one thing, but long term changes to the game need to be more of an effort that involves her being forthcoming with the people who help pay her salary.

Last edited:

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Actually, I think Stratics doesn't let it be discussed because EA required that as a condition for being listed as an official UO fansite. I'll try to dig up the info from the EA spokesperson on the issue from a few years ago, I think it was around 2007 or so, when Jeremy was still our community coordinator.
This is correct. The Fansite agreement we signed is dated 2009.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This is correct. The Fansite agreement we signed is dated 2009.
This old thread from September 2008 might help clarify a few things too about in-game and fan-site advertising for certain types of websites: New URL Policy Revealed - UOGuide Complies (EA Rejects) [Updated Again, long title] | Stratics Forums . (The "Jeremy" who made several posts in the thread is Jeremy Dahlberg, who was the UO Community Coordinator from EA, so what she says in the thread was coming from an official EA spokesperson.)

Status
Not open for further replies.