• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[UO Herald] FoF: More live questions

UO News

RSS Feed
RSS Feed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
In this Five on Friday we cover Lumberjacking, Cloaks of Corruption, and Tinkers.

To read more click here.

More...

Marcellis

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wasn't there a third Thread type besides Life and Fate that dropped later in this event cycle? And if so, would they be needed as well?

Flutter

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
What's the point of faction bandages at all then? If we already have something in the game (apples) that do the exact same thing?

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wasn't there a third Thread type besides Life and Fate that dropped later in this event cycle? And if so, would they be needed as well?
There is a third one. I think it is one you get off the creatures in mag. by using Spirit Speak on them.

Gheed

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Darker cousins? Obsidian Blades? Once again this FoF was enhanced w/pure Draconi.

p.s. I would like to have a greater reward for challenging Barracoon... I can solo that one :)

christy1221

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awesome! Great FoF and I'm excited that our glass daggers, cloaks, and threads will finally have a purpose. :thumbup:

P

Pom Pom

What about all the threads/bug reports about this latest publish? Any estimated time for a fix on any of this stuff?

Maplestone

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
re: boards and carpentry. In the ongoing tradition of utility beetles, there could be a buzzsaw beetle (for lack of a better name) that cut any logs dropped on it into boards.

Nine Dark Moons

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
re: boards and carpentry. In the ongoing tradition of utility beetles, there could be a buzzsaw beetle (for lack of a better name) that cut any logs dropped on it into boards.
awesome idea!!! i want a buzzsaw beetle! and i don't even lumberjack or carpenter lol...

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
awesome idea!!! i want a buzzsaw beetle! and i don't even lumberjack or carpenter lol...
Several of us, in the past, have suggested a new golem type (a tinker craftable) that would serve as a sawmill and defender. By having it a non-bondable (as are golems), it would reduce the chance that a scripter would be having one tag along in Fel. You could even have it use charges (say 1 blade spirit scroll = 2 to 5 charges), or have to be fed the special mining gems, etc.

Ezekiel Zane

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
RE: Boards

Couldn't you just lower the carpentry skill required to cut up logs, of any wood type, into boards, to zero skill?

You still couldn't make anything else, but then lumberjacks could convert their own logs into boards.

Maplestone

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The problem is that boards are a craftable - so follow the rules of crafting. As soon as you select the wood type, that invokes the restrictures. If I read the FoF correctly, Draconi is suggesting exactly what you are suggesting, it's just that it would take some engineering to accomplish.

R

rockytriton

maybe I'm mistaken, but I seem to remember that the way it used to be was that you just use an axe on a log and it made it into boards automatically. Why can't they just go back to that?

Ezekiel Zane

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yeah, the restrictions for special wood types work similar if not exactly like the restrictions on ore/ingot type. If you don't have the appropriate skill level then you get the message "you don't have the skill required to use this **** type."

This code prevents a low skilled crafter from even attempting to craft using special wood types that they don't have the minimum skill for.

If you removed the restrictions and lowered the skill level to craft boards to zero for all types, then any lumberjack could make any type logs into boards, although this would now allow lower skilled carpenters to at least attempt to make items from special wood types, albeit at an extremely low success chance.

Ezekiel Zane

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Actually now that I think about it more. Removing the wood type restrictions would make the success chance when crafting with any wood type the same for all wood types.

Maybe not the best solution after all.

Ezekiel Zane

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What if instead of using overall restrictions to prevent using special wood types, the success chances were able to be decreased based upon the selected type?

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I don't know shifting the restrictions might have a rather adverse effect... for one using other woods one would think would Up your skill faster.

And I don't know about you all but raising my rate of skill gain at things is a bonus I'd hate to lose.

I guessed the obsidian blade as well..... guess we have to wait to see .... either that or the kiss.... which is also a dagger.... kinda hard to say.... Though there is also that vorpal blade.... anyones guess there...

So no mention of the champ spawns and the craziness that has been going on with them since the publish... Guess we'll wait and see.

B

Beastmaster

I'm not for this idea, but if it were to happen it should be called a 'carpenter beetle'. I imagine most people have heard of carpenter bees and/or ants, so why not beetles.

Viquire

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm not for this idea, but if it were to happen it should be called a 'carpenter beetle'. I imagine most people have heard of carpenter bees and/or ants, so why not beetles.
lol, well those guys eat at the wood themselves, so maybe a tithe or tax to be paid for using a beetle to chop lumber for you?

I'm not convinced.