• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[UO Herald] Crimson Dragon

UO News

RSS Feed
RSS Feed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Some time ago…

Taerlstratar looked intently into the shining orb he held with refined grace between two of his foreclaws. Despite being an immense creature his ability to move every muscle in his body with poise was unsurpassed, and holding the twelve inch orb eloquently was as simple a task as breathing.

To himself he thought, “The Shadowlords will be the ones to do it, they are going back home. And I will go back as well; its past time to take my true place in the lands now called Britannia. Curse Mondain, foul little human. Perhaps, it’s time to kill them all.”

While pondering the destruction of every human in existence, the orb changed its scene, shifting from showing an image of the works of the Shadowlords, to some of the younger looking Crimson dragons. Taerlstratar peered a bit closer into the orb, his large cat like pupils moving as if by command – fluxing out and then in slightly to get the best view possible from the small scrying orb. “The young ones… they too have a purpose for me.”

Taerlstratar knew all too well the bloodlust that lingered in the hearts of the young Crimson brood; he also knew the lack of wisdom and restraint that came without years of knowledge and experience. Make no mistake however; the young ones were not simply mindless killing instruments. Young Crimsons were still smarter than any human, gargoyle, or elf back home. They simply desired the very thing that was their birthright – to rule the lesser species.

The brood was too big now – a new home was needed, new conquests, new terrain – out of this endless void where Mondain had trapped them. Taerlstratar moved his massive wings out to their full length, a full hundred and fifty feet by human standards, stretching himself out a bit before returning the orb to its pedestal and collecting his legs underneath him. There was work to be done.

More...

Maplestone

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
hmm ... interesting.

However ... this seems to muddy the waters a little over who the ultimate foe of this arc is. The shadowlords and the crimson, which are the ultimate enemies and which are the hearlds of change? Or do we see now two different powerful forces on the move, neither fully respecting the other?

I find myself hungry for more backstory on these crimson and their homeland.

Draconi

Most explosive UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
hmm ... interesting.

However ... this seems to muddy the waters a little over who the ultimate foe of this arc is. The shadowlords and the crimson, which are the ultimate enemies and which are the hearlds of change? Or do we see now two different powerful forces on the move, neither fully respecting the other?

I find myself hungry for more backstory on these crimson and their homeland.
I don't think I'm revealing anything too secret by saying that the Shadowlords are using the Crimsons, and the Crimsons are *definitely* using the Shadowlords.

The Shadowlords are your true threat for now, and while their presence will eventually come to an end, the dragons' return is a permanent part of UO.

S

Sorcha of Sonoma

As in lose an entire faction? Intriguing thought .....

What was more interesting to me was the author of the piece - "Kilandra" Cotten.

Maybe I am blind and never saw it before, but do we have Husband and Wife working on UO?

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
Please, for the love of UO don't make them tamable! *winks*

sablestorm

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm thinking the Crimson Dragons are lorded over by the Six. After all, they seem to have similar abilities such a driving dragons wild...

Draconi

Most explosive UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
As in lose an entire faction? Intriguing thought .....

What was more interesting to me was the author of the piece - "Kilandra" Cotten.

Maybe I am blind and never saw it before, but do we have Husband and Wife working on UO?
Ah! Yes you do.

Kilandra handles our international affairs, and also provides fiction (especially concerning dragons). She worked here at Mythic before the UO team relocated from California :)

Draconi

Most explosive UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Not a chance. These are the Ultima dragons - stronger, smarter, and more powerful than mortals could ever hope to be. They are not the same as the pale shadows that were once Mondain's thralls, left to scrounge for scraps in Covetous and beneath the Serpent's Spine.

Their very presence instills fear in the weak. No, they can never be tamed.

L

Lady Mana

I don't think I'm revealing anything too secret by saying that the Shadowlords are using the Crimsons, and the Crimsons are *definitely* using the Shadowlords.

The Shadowlords are your true threat for now, and while their presence will eventually come to an end, the dragons' return is a permanent part of UO.
Will the Shadowlords' presence ever truly end, though? :p

But yes. This fiction mentions the 'void' -- is this the same void that Lord British and Nystul may have ventured in to? Is it possible that things *other* than the dragons could pop out? Regardless, I'm glad the dragons are permanent. They're so... powerful looking. I want to tame one! Let me tame one. ^^

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
Damn, you have a twisted evil streak...

Draconi

Most explosive UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Will the Shadowlords' presence ever truly end, though? :p

But yes. This fiction mentions the 'void' -- is this the same void that Lord British and Nystul may have ventured in to? Is it possible that things *other* than the dragons could pop out? Regardless, I'm glad the dragons are permanent. They're so... powerful looking. I want to tame one! Let me tame one. ^^
Yes, it is the same void.

The ethereal void in Ultima is like outer space to us. A key difference is that the void is not just stars and galaxies, but a true ether of magic and power pervading creation, a dreamlike substance full of good and ill, with parts chaotic and parts quite orderly.

I'm sure more about the dragons and their relationship to the void will be revealed as the story progresses.

And no, no taming for you, Lady Mana!

D

Doireann

I did notice that the ones we got were the "younger crimson" implying Taerlstratar is an older crimson, not a platinum...

J

Jhym

Hmmmmm....

Now does that mean the Dragons (as opposed to dragons) will take a place in Britannia proper or in one of the lesser facets? And will the Shadowlords also take some place?

One thing I'd really like to be implemented in the story arcs -- I do NOT want the Dragons to be like killable Peerless. Their underlings, fine. But honestly, if killed at all, they should turn to ghosts as we do, get rezzed (possibly by their healer peers) and return to battle as needed.

AND we should be more able to interact with them -- scheme, plan, parlay, and just talk. I think there are many who would just welcome the Dragons for meaningful conversations about the void. I really would hate for them to just be the standard plastic statuettes that don't mean anything to the world at large.

I'd like them to inspire us, not just fight us. I expect, want to cry.

Scare you yet?

:danceb:

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
Not a chance. These are the Ultima dragons - stronger, smarter, and more powerful than mortals could ever hope to be. They are not the same as the pale shadows that were once Mondain's thralls, left to scrounge for scraps in Covetous and beneath the Serpent's Spine.

freakin awesome about time we see what real dragons can do not the wanna be dragons we have now !!
and I am kinda liking the idea of the dragons taming humans hehe :)
great fiction you all are doing great job!!

sablestorm

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
On Pacific we have a history with other ancient powerful dragons like Blaze and Blight. What's more, all shards share Sudiva. Where does she fit into all this? Is she related to the Crimson Dragons as well? Will the sacrifices of the heroes free her and enlist her aid against the forces of evil that rise against us?

Luka Melehan

Certifiable
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron

*sighs and tosses the plans for a larger stable in the garbage* :lick:

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

I'll tame one. No creature can resist me. :D

Viquire

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Alright Drac, fess up now.

Are the platinums gonna hang around also? And when will we have a new dragon head trophy or crimmy/platty scales for new-fangled Uber armor?

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Alright Drac, fess up now.

Are the platinums gonna hang around also? And when will we have a new dragon head trophy or crimmy/platty scales for new-fangled Uber armor?
Ooo, Crimson or Platinum armor :D

J

Jhym

And who says there are only two types? Just because there are Dragons from the past in Ultima, doesn't mean those are the ONLY types of Dragons.

Perhaps a lovely Void Dragon, now THAT I'd love to see, all black and starry.

Bazer

Slightly Crazed
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This just makes me want to go visit the Ethereal void so bad...*begins to pack bags*

R

RichDC

I'm thinking the Crimson Dragons are lorded over by the Six. After all, they seem to have similar abilities such a driving dragons wild...
The Six were young crimsons, as far as i remember from the BNN articles one of the "six" Mryixxion was talking to the elder Crimson about wiping out a town...ill try to find the link.

R

RichDC

Thats the one, before i could never figure out who she was, after the event the other night it all clicked.

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The Six were young crimsons, as far as i remember from the BNN articles one of the "six" Mryixxion was talking to the elder Crimson about wiping out a town...ill try to find the link.
I am increasingly thinking that The Six were actually Platinum Dragons, and that we in Britannia are kind of caught in the middle of some kind of cosmic blood feud.

If I'm right, that doesn't necessarily mean the Platinum Dragons are our friends just because we're on the same side for the moment. They were pretty eager to murder us (no good reason to kill those people outside Despise for example), and they discussed committing genocide upon us. And may I add they discussed it rather casually, like it was no big deal.

-Galen's player

R

RichDC

I am increasingly thinking that The Six were actually Platinum Dragons, and that we in Britannia are kind of caught in the middle of some kind of cosmic blood feud.

If I'm right, that doesn't necessarily mean the Platinum Dragons are our friends just because we're on the same side for the moment. They were pretty eager to murder us (no good reason to kill those people outside Despise for example), and they discussed committing genocide upon us. And may I add they discussed it rather casually, like it was no big deal.

-Galen's player
The reason i say they crimsons(however its more than likely im wrong), is because the platinum outside of Yew actually tried to protect us "mere mortals" wheras the Crimson openly spoke of Anihalating all Lesser creatures,

AxiamInc

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
*the crimson dragon starts to tame you*
Now this is the funniest picture that went wandering through my mind all week..

The Crimmy CTL+Left Clicks me. *I won't harm you* *I've been looking for a companion such as you* Chases me all over the Dungeon until I succumb to its will.. *Ax follow me* *Ax Kill*

Considering humans or elves would only take up one pet slot, it could in effect have a field day with any and all creatures within the game. Could you imagine 5 Sampires in the hands of one Crimson Dragon? The magical and dexterical abilities to keep us healed and cured?

Ok..now that that idea has passed.. Have a great day!

I'll tame one. No creature can resist me. :D
Haha...No Conner, not even you Sir. Well, maybe that one guy that thought she looked like a man in drag...eeks.

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The reason i say they crimsons(however its more than likely im wrong), is because the platinum outside of Yew actually tried to protect us "mere mortals" wheras the Crimson openly spoke of Anihalating all Lesser creatures,
I can certainly see the argument, and it wouldn't surprise me if you were right.

Bolstering your side of the argument is that we have specific evidence that the Crimsons and The Six both have relative ages. (Some are older, some are younger.) While it might turn out to be that way with the Platinums too, we don't know that yet. They somehow feel "ageless" to me. Especially if they work for the Time Lord, which would fit.

-Galen's player

R

RichDC

I can certainly see the argument, and it wouldn't surprise me if you were right.

Bolstering your side of the argument is that we have specific evidence that the Crimsons and The Six both have relative ages. (Some are older, some are younger.) While it might turn out to be that way with the Platinums too, we don't know that yet. They somehow feel "ageless" to me. Especially if they work for the Time Lord, which would fit.

-Galen's player
This is good :p

Im gna discredit my own argument here to answer the age...The crimson seen at yew did refer to the platinum as "Elder" that would indicate that there are ages, before hand he wasnt bothered about the platinum...Then he cowered at the sight of the elder.

Im loving this new arc of the event...love all this dodgy fiction and speculation :p

Olahorand

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'd like to pick up a crimson dragons egg and breed him. Maybe with the right training he will be a good companion?
*Salute*
Olahorand

H

Harlan

So now not only can I not hunt my lovely dragond alone anymore cuz of the greater ones ther are going ot be Crimsons thrown into the mixs. Just take all of Zoraxs fun away. RoU MOUNT UP WE GOT SOME DRAGONS TO HUNT!!!