• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[UO Herald] Beta Update

T

Teeshy

Teeshy......take a peek at the FAQ page on the SA website: http://www.uoherald.com/stygianabyss/gameoverview/faq/. There's a Q&A there about how the patcher works that might ease your mind a bit.
I read that the other week Tina (thanks to you I think!) just that I read in this thread somewhere, someone saying it took 2 1/2 hours to d/l for the beta, so was just wondering =) Doesn't look like it's an allowed piece of info anyways ;)

V

Vierna_GL

Like I said though, I have good reason for it.

And i'm getting more and more pissed every minute without a response. From Chrissay.
You are so special you feel you need a response? Please ...

W

Warrior of Time

I can't help but wonder how many people that was wanting to Pick up their accounts and leave UO. Now are wanting to get into a closed beta. Seems they was willing to learn a new UI and game rather just learn a new UI for UO.

A

Aboo

I can't help but wonder how many people that was wanting to Pick up their accounts and leave UO. Now are wanting to get into a closed beta. Seems they was willing to learn a new UI and game rather just learn a new UI for UO.
That is an interesting question.

I'm not one of those. I've played for 11+ years nonstop (which maybe I shouldn't admit to that) and I was hoping to get into beta. Of course, I guess they choose who gets in based on something other than loyalty. *said teasingly in case anyone takes me seriously*

*goes off to pout and have a glass of wine*

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
How many of the ones who applied, but didn't make this first intake, waited for the secure page before applying? Ever thought they might have done it on a 'first come, first served' basis?

btw, yes I'm in, the focus group.

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Well, since I'm SOL, it's good to hear that you're in. I like what you and others modders have done with KR.

oh, btw... You guys that are in better do a good job!

Rest assured that I have been rather busy with the whole thing, we'll see how much of what advice and input are heeded and what the outcome will prove.

Ender

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
How many of the ones who applied, but didn't make this first intake, waited for the secure page before applying? Ever thought they might have done it on a 'first come, first served' basis?

I applied as soon as it was posted on Stratics that signups were open. So, no.

Obsidian

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Yeah, I admit I am a bit disappointed not to be selected as well, but that's ok. I'll just wait for future rounds and see what happens. I did sign up immediately and prior to the secure application coming online. That was the only time I attempted to apply.

I'll just keep building characters and training the guys I'm working now until either I get selected or SA comes out.

-OBSIDIAN-

C

Chrissay_

I can say that it wasn't done on a first come first serve basis.

Chrissay

T

Tazar

Well... it took some arm twisting, but I admit it!

There is a Stygian Abyss Beta.
I am in the Stygian Abyss Beta.

N

Nyte Doombringer

*sigh* I am dissappointed as well that Axl and I where not in the first round , but wth no reason to sit around and cry. If we get in we get in. Would be nice to make a SA diary like the 3rd dawn one we have and post it after NDA is lifted. Hopefully we get in soon. hehe

christy1221

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
*sigh* I am dissappointed as well that Axl and I where not in the first round , but wth no reason to sit around and cry. If we get in we get in. Would be nice to make a SA diary like the 3rd dawn one we have and post it after NDA is lifted. Hopefully we get in soon. hehe
I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. *crosses fingers*
:hug:

Kaleb

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think my CPU was too good for them, not the fact I have done UO betas before and been a player for 11+ years. of course all the Uhall mods are in that kinda figures. And it looks as though (based on who posted they were in so far) they dont want PvP testing either. I see how it fits into their plan of ignoring PvP issues to get the players into that game play to quit.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
I think my CPU was too good for them, not the fact I have done UO betas before and been a player for 11+ years. of course all the Uhall mods are in that kinda figures. And it looks as though (based on who posted they were in so far) they dont want PvP testing either. I see how it fits into their plan of ignoring PvP issues to get the players into that game play to quit.
This statement is not entirely accurate...

DevilsOwn

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This statement is not entirely accurate...
yah, and just when I was gettin' my whining pants on to say that they didn't select any dedicated homebuilders to test the new tiles Sarsmi has to go and post that she's in.........

*toddles off lookin' for something else to grumble about*

T

Toptwo

Great computer system, 4 ACTIVE accounts, Online and in game EVERY day, posted BEFORE secure sign-up, NO black marks what-so-ever on my acct. NO derogatory posts here or anywhere else...and....

Is there a SA Beta??
I DIDN't Get in..

So...It wasn't first come, or based entirely on play-time.

The only thing I have read here that makes it SUCK, is some ppl not active for months getting invites..while I have been plunking down my $40.00 per month for my accts to play.

oh well...

Toptwo

christy1221

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Great computer system, 4 ACTIVE accounts, Online and in game EVERY day, posted BEFORE secure sign-up, NO black marks what-so-ever on my acct. NO derogatory posts here or anywhere else...and....

Is there a SA Beta??
I DIDN't Get in..

So...It wasn't first come, or based entirely on play-time.

The only thing I have read here that makes it SUCK, is some ppl not active for months getting invites..while I have been plunking down my $40.00 per month for my accts to play.

oh well...

Toptwo
I didn't think that was right either. Especially since the sign up page even says (Closed Beta testers must be current Ultima Online subscribers)

IanJames

Certifiable
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

I did not wait for the secure page, I'm not in the first wave

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It does indeed say that, Christy so the logical assumption is, someone lied. Whether it's to EA or to us is difficult to tell.

Lying to us works beautifully to stir up dissent and trouble here doesn't it?

Ian, I don't know what criteria they used. Chrissay has posted to say my guess was incorrect. I wouldn't despair, there are more rounds to come.

T

Thangorodrim

How many in the first round of beta are NOT already part of the focus group?

H

Harb

Not to bait an argument, but a couple thoughts. I wouldn't use the term Petra does to postulate motive of the poster, nor would I care to speculate that EA's statement or his posts must be exclusive of each other. Between this and the other "major" board, I've seen at least 25 names who have been accepted, many of whom I recognize and have great confidence in. That’s a "plug" for both those selected and those doing the selection!

In this case, if we assume both the poster and dev spokesperson are correct, and what we're seeing a sole example of an "inside" attempt to gauge a circumstantial reaction, that circumstance being a recently closed account, I wouldn't find that objectionable in the least. That said, the "potential" PR downside is something that should have been foreseen, and authority disseminated to address it immediately should it arise. For me, this is a "larger" issue separate of beta, it's how decisions are made and how much thought goes into contingency planning regarding the human dynamic. I touched on this earlier in the thread, but care must always be taken not to cause any player to feel disenfranchised, something that predictably occurs when information regarding anything "internal" is displayed "externally" - in advance. There seems a sense of apathy, complete misunderstanding of the folks that comprise our little world, and left turns on a right turn arrow at the decision making level of our team. This has been a problem, IMO, with both folks in that chair since the move to Mythic. I don't want to be "Debbie Downer" here; I do feel a sense of celebration of where we collectively are today. But I'd also advise not assuming that anyone has been misleading either :)

T

Thangorodrim

I guess a thought I harbor after seeing the names included is that few, if any, are vocal KR critics. The widespread acceptance of the new client is likely predicated on pleasing that particular demographic, certainly more so than those that were prepared to permanently switch to KR when it was in a state where 97% of the playerbase found it objectionable for either functional or aesthetic reasons.

If it were me managing the release I would seek out the harshest critics at the earliest stage possible so that common ground compromises can be cleanly coded.

With the time left it is hard to see how little more than gameplay balance type issues can be addressed.

I am just speculating. I do not know what has gone on in the focus group or what changes in the client may have occurred since the last KR release. It may be that a clean code base expedites changes such that modifications can be appropriately committed at a pace greater than that to which we have become accustomed over the years.

I do know I am excited to get a glimpse of the new client and content. Based on the last KR build, I have very high hopes that they have gotten it right. Also, I need to do something with the thousand or so dud armor or weapons I have stocked away for imbuing.

T

Thangorodrim

Lying to us works beautifully to stir up dissent and trouble here doesn't it?
Yeah, I think someone is full of ****. Perhaps claimants need to be called to the mat and provide something to ensure their veracity.

Or, we can just ignore it.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If it were me managing the release I would seek out the harshest critics at the earliest stage possible so that common ground compromises can be cleanly coded

Without getting myself in trouble, I will say this is the part that concerns me as well. And I stated as much on our alliance boards. Inviting the people in who adopted KR and all its quirks and faults, won't be much of a beta imho. The mainstream player, who downloaded KR, looked, and left, are the ones they need to be selling this to, the ones that Mythic needs to be impressing. You don't have to convert the converts, they need the input and complaints of the 2D player to make them happy, and make them switch.
Then, and only then, can that dream of one client come true.

Let me close by saying, I don't mean this post to be denigrating to the current KR players, not at all. I have friends playing KR exclusively, I'm not a h8r in the least.
But since the SA client, to my understanding, is a rebuild of the KR, sell it hardest to those that haven't yet bought it :p

IanJames

Certifiable
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ian, I don't know what criteria they used. Chrissay has posted to say my guess was incorrect. I wouldn't despair, there are more rounds to come.
Oh, I'm not despairing, was just answering your question. I'm still waiting patiently . . .perhaps my equipment doesnt' meet what they are looking for right now. . .*shrugs*

Kojak

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I guess a thought I harbor after seeing the names included is that few, if any, are vocal KR critics.
Well, I guess that explains while I'll never get a beta invite before it goes live. I bet Dermott got like 10 invites in that case - hehe.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I guess a thought I harbor after seeing the names included is that few, if any, are vocal KR critics.
Well, I guess that explains while I'll never get a beta invite before it goes live. I bet Dermott got like 10 invites in that case - hehe.
And this is the thought train that we need to avoid. In my case, I wasn't being ugly to the current KR users, I just think they need the input from the
2d crowd that so despised KR. Not necessarily to have them tear the SA client down and make it 2D Part II, but to find an acceptable middle ground for everyone.

If the focus group was made up almost entirely of KR players, then I am sure SA will be almost entirely like KR. Wish we could have some comfort that it was otherwise, but I won't push for that, because I don't want anyone in trouble for breaking the NDA.

T

Thangorodrim

And this is the thought train that we need to avoid. In my case, I wasn't being ugly to the current KR users, I just think they need the input from the
2d crowd that so despised KR. Not necessarily to have them tear the SA client down and make it 2D Part II, but to find an acceptable middle ground for everyone.

If the focus group was made up almost entirely of KR players, then I am sure SA will be almost entirely like KR. Wish we could have some comfort that it was otherwise, but I won't push for that, because I don't want anyone in trouble for breaking the NDA.
Yeah, exactly. I was not attacking early KR proponents, just noting they are already 'the base' as far as the movement to a single client.

N

Nyte Doombringer

Well everyone can sit here and speculate how they picked the first people and how they didt. I doubt they will tell us and it wont change the fact of if we got in or not. One thing is for sure there is no way they can know who we are here and on the beta app unless you use the same name here as your acct name. If you look at the questions ask on the beta, its your real life info, and your main acct name. So what can they find out about that other then if you are playing UO ect and for how long and if you have any marks on your acct.
They cant find out if you are a pvp, if you play 1 hour a wk or 100, if you play only in trammel, what client you use, because none of that info is in your acct info.
Then they ask about your computer specs ect. Then they ask routine beta questions, how long have you been playing ect and then what games have you beta tested.

Closed Beta testers must be current Ultima Online subscribers, and will be selected based on a variety of factors, including computer system specs, game experience, and community involvement.
Now how do they figure out community involvement? Is it here on the forums, ingame, fansites and if so how can they figure out from the questions ask on the form who you are? They cant really unless as I said your acct name is the same as your forum name or your email here is the same as the one for your acct and they checked that.
So I would say dont worry about how or why just hope that you eventually get in, like I am hoping, hehe

S

Scopulus Falco

This is kinda crazy.I got the e mail with codes to get in beta but cant register to the forums to get the the info to down load.Can any one tell me why this is?

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Inviting the people in who adopted KR and all its quirks and faults, won't be much of a beta imho.

Yeah... we wouldn't want the people who have taken the time to learn the ins and outs of the new client to be involved in improving said client now would we? Instead we should just let in all of the people who hate the client and make sure that UO stays in the technological stone age.

:coco:

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Play nice please people.

No, inviting only KR players wouldn't be a wise choice.

Neither would inviting only 2D players.

The wise choice would be a mix of all kinds of players, wouldn't it?

H

Harb

My thoughts allign strongly with Uriah's comments. But Dermott is correct also, there must be a "mix." Don't forget, betas tend to "phase," and it is very possible that at this phase, the team wants KR folks, who've already embraced the client in "outline form," to take at look at changes to ensure it's to their "liking." Who knows, maybe the next phase is to bring in the 2D crowd and begin the more difficult side of the "sales pitch." I don't know, but possible maybe?

T

Thangorodrim

My thoughts allign strongly with Uriah's comments. But Dermott is correct also, there must be a "mix." Don't forget, betas tend to "phase," and it is very possible that at this phase, the team wants KR folks, who've already embraced the client in "outline form," to take at look at changes to ensure it's to their "liking." Who knows, maybe the next phase is to bring in the 2D crowd and begin the more difficult side of the "sales pitch." I don't know, but possible maybe?
That seems reasonable, however, if the hard to sell demographic is reacting negatively to features that require extensive coding to become more palpable there is little to no time to implement such changes.

On the other hand, bringing perennial malcontents could lead to a lot of unwarranted negative press. Considering some of the posters here, for instance, its not something unreasonable to consider, especially if the dev team feels not all the polish is on yet.

The point is about who got into the first round as I assume a good cross section is planned.

T

Thangorodrim

Inviting the people in who adopted KR and all its quirks and faults, won't be much of a beta imho.

Yeah... we wouldn't want the people who have taken the time to learn the ins and outs of the new client to be involved in improving said client now would we? Instead we should just let in all of the people who hate the client and make sure that UO stays in the technological stone age.

That is totally uncalled for and quite intellectually dishonest as I think you know that no one was suggesting the folks who have put so much effort into KR be excluded from the beta.

ABSOLUTELY the people who hate the client need to be involved in the development and at an early stage. Do you think widespread adoption is promulgated by avoiding the feedback of those unhappy with the client? Are you suggesting that the anti-KR crowd should be excluded or that their complaints are without merit?

I suggest you sheath your "technological stone age" axe you grind so much. The underlying technology is the least important factor in gaining widespread acceptance of the SA client. No one really cares what is under the hood. The simple fact is that if the aesthetic and gameplay are not authentic to Ultima and not pleasing to the eye it does not matter how sophisticated the underlying technology is - it will fail, just like 3D.

Ender

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The people who refuse to switch from 2D are still going to refuse to switch from 2D, no matter how good the SA client is. 2D will never be shut down.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The people who refuse to switch from 2D are still going to refuse to switch from 2D, no matter how good the SA client is. 2D will never be shut down.
I strongly disagree with this. As a 2D player, I would switch, but only when given something better and easier to work with. Without those two criteria being met, there is absolutely no reason for a player to switch!

Besides, interfaces and radar maps aside, its the client thats needed. We were told that the Gamebryo client would be sooo much easier to work with, to make additions to, and to change on the fly. So the client is coming, its the uses and interfaces and gameplay that need the critique. As I understand it, and I admit to having limited knowledge, The client is only the software that communicates with the server. And can be built to whatever specs, interfaces, etc the company desires. But I digress...

We will switch, when given a suitable alternative.

And Dermott, I don't remember attacking you, I think you are a cooll guy, and have stated before I appreciate the work you guys put into KR to try and improve it. No one wants to stay in the stone age, but no one wants to completely change games, either.

H

Harb

Again, I stand beneath Uriah's tent. Persoanlly, I tried to embrace KR, but... I'll try again here, and suspect probability higher than on the "first edition." Thang, I have to tell from many years of behind the scenes play, by the time players are brought into a client, the major "muscle movements" are in place and we're at "tweak" stage. So whether the first group that enter are KR adovcates, high potential KR adopters, or die hard 2Ders, it doesn't really matter, nor does the sequencing, so long as all get there. Thats not to say there can't be major changes, it did happen once that I'm aware of, but I'm sure that isn't the "vision" going in.

Ender, I love 2D, but I hope you're wrong. It's anyones guess about the future if 2D remains UO's primary client, but the one aspect of dual clients that disturbs me the most is what dev "can't do." While not entirely accurate, from a resource management "macro" view, two clients doubles the effort, 2 man hours are required to accomplish what could have been done with one. Now while many variables come into play, and assuming all things remain "equal" (which they won't), if that 2d manhour were directed to other projects in UO, we all benefit from it. At least that's the theory.

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

The statement wasn't directed at you personally, but at the statement made, so don't take it as an attack on you, but the idea in general. I would have said the same thing regardless of who posted it.

As for the second part, I have to agree with Ender (not that the statement is a good thing), there are too many people simply unwilling to even give any form of new client a chance regardless of how "perfect" that client may be.

I have a LOT of thoughts and reactions about what I have been a part of so far, but I'm not sure what of them I can and cannot discuss here.

Even had I not been involved with the KR modding community, I would still support their early inclusion into focus testing the new client BECAUSE they are the ones who know the new client the best both the good and the bad sides of it (contrasted to the certain people here who abhor anything to do with ANY new client who know nothing but complain constantly).

No the beta shouldn;t be open ONLY to them, but to exclude them would have been a HUGE mistake.

And finally, AS one of the modding community, as soon as we read that they were redoing the client we hoped we would get in the beta (or at least recieved the new client) ASAP not to be all "We're in the beta y0!", but so we would be able to quickly port over our UI mods to the new-new client and have them ready when it goes live.

The beta itself does need people from all UO "walks" so that we can get the most complete batch of feedback possible before it gets shoved out of the door.

But by the same token, the beta needs people willing to USE the SA client INSTEAD OF the 2d client they are familiar with, not people who have a personal mission of trying to destroy any and every new client that the devs attempt to create, and as usual, those of us who adopted the KR client and are familiar will be there to provide guidance to them.

N

Nyte Doombringer

Well I dont use the KR client. I have tryed it, I just prefer the 2d client. Not because I cant run it on my puter, played wow, lotro ect so i can run KR, i just didt like it that much. Am I willing to use SA, heck yea, cant wait. I am not opposed to using something besides the 2d client, just KR wasnt it.

Ender

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Yeah, I wish it wasn't true. I really liked KR for the most part, just a few things bugged me. I've already heard some guildmates say that they'd quit if there was no 2D client, and they haven't even tried the new client yet. <_<

Petrify

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
. And it looks as though (based on who posted they were in so far) they dont want PvP testing either. I see how it fits into their plan of ignoring PvP issues to get the players into that game play to quit.
I said this earlier and got hunted and abused by fanbois. It seems I am not the only person on stratics with a brain.

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

No offense Dermott, I like your postings and value your opinion, and I know you'll do a good job testing, but no where in the application did it say "Have you helped create a Custom UI for KR?"...favoritism was used in this Beta just like's used in others.

Hobo Sapien

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well this is the first time I have dipped into this thread. Whoa, life is to short! Good night now...............