• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[UO Herald] Bank Renovation Results

M

Millie

All the one's that I have seen have been great. I actually like the simpler ones but I'm not dead set against the more elaborate ones. Everyone that took the time to make and submit one did a good job, and IMO it's petty to tear them down or apart. If you don't like them, go a head and post it, but there is not need to pick and pull and make people feel like crap. just to make a point.

Frarc

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
After looking at all the pictures, i realy need to make a character on every shard and have a look at the new banks when they come. :)

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
To whom it may concern

Trolling with multiple user names is considered to be excessive trolling and will result in the removal of 'alt' posts. Thank you.

BlissMarie

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I love how you didn't concentrate on just the bank but added little details to the entire surrounding area.
Thanks, Nastia! I had fun adding stuff here and there.
I do hope the people of Lake Austin end up liking it, too.

BlissMarie

C

ChessyGoddess

Gareth, your bank design is awesome and I cant wait to see it in place! Thank you for making Chesapeake proud! :)

Nalif

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
First, I'd like to mention that I'm new to UO, and that I just started playing several months back. My brother and I play on the Great Lakes shard, and so far we love this game. It's great to see such emphasis on a world able to be changed by the players that live in it! It's great to see this type of interaction in an MMO. I don't think I've ever seen another MMO do anything like this! I love all of the designs for the most part. Are these going to be put into games as-is or are some changes going to be made by the dev's before they're placed in game? I do hope a few changes are made to them, because as-is, even though they're beautiful, a lot of them just feel wrong.

COCOPUFF641: I like your bank design. While it's not as flashy as the others, I think it fits with the feel of the rest of the town. My only critique is that the dragon head and fish-net carpet feel wrong. There's also something "off" about the stairs, but overall, I like it! My home shard is GL, so I look forward to seeing your design in game!

Lord Gareth: I love the inside of your bank, but the outside of it doesn't fit with the rest of the town at all. Your bank will obviously be convenient due to all that you crammed into it, but it just doesn't look like a bank. Why is there an archer range on the side of a bank? And is that a pig-pen on the roof? I do feel you have one of the best looking interiors, however. I love what you've done there. Nicely done!

Stupid Miner: I love the garden on top of the bank. What you've done looks very nice. I hope the water works on top get re-worked however :-D And is that a dolphin in the pool? lol Also, what's up with the err....Tree with the moon gate in it? It just looks a bit goofy. I think if the tree were taken away, and the water-works on top of the roof turned into just a small stand-alone pool (and the dolphin taken out :p ), your bank would be perfect.

BlissMarie: Almost missed yours! I love your design. Everything you've done looks nice!

Sweety: Your banks are amazing, all three of them. They're well thought out, beautifully put together, and nothing out of place or over done at all. There's nothing I would change for any of them.

Uvtha: Your bank is beautiful. I do think the tent on top is a bit out of place, however. The carpets on the outside are also a little over-done. I think if the tent were removed, and the carpeting toned down, it would be perfect.

Dragon Mist: Nicely done! I love your bank. Everything fits, nothing is over-done, and it's all in good taste. I feel that it fits the town very well.

missecho: All three of your designs are beautiful. Your designs are my favorite, every single one of them. I can honestly say no matter which one made it in game, I wouldn't be disappointed.

I think that's everyone that posted their designs to this thread. I hope I haven't stepped on too many toes. I feel constructive criticism is important, however. Everyone here had great designs, but I do feel a few changes are in order on some of them. This contest was an obvious success, in my opinion. Thanks to everyone who participated! It's things like this that draw me to UO!

MissEcho

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
First, I'd like to mention that I'm new to UO, and that I just started playing several months back. My brother and I play on the Great Lakes shard, and so far we love this game. It's great to see such emphasis on a world able to be changed by the players that live in it! It's great to see this type of interaction in an MMO. I don't think I've ever seen another MMO do anything like this! I love all of the designs for the most part. Are these going to be put into games as-is or are some changes going to be made by the dev's before they're placed in game? I do hope a few changes are made to them, because as-is, even though they're beautiful, a lot of them just feel wrong.
Welcome to UO! It is refreshing to see someone post something appreciating UO for the great MMO it is. Competitions like this are what make UO great, as does the EM program, and the short term story arcs that cover all the shards such as invasions and quests etc. By reading these boards I am surprised you even wanted to have a say given all the current 'frenzy' on nearly every topic including this one lol. Everyone here is entitled to an opinion and I think you expressed yours in a much better way than a lot of our 'vet' players. Sometimes I wonder if the devs will read all this nonsense and say 'forget it' and take away ALL the added things that make UO, UO.

As for
missecho: All three of your designs are beautiful. Your designs are my favorite, every single one of them. I can honestly say no matter which one made it in game, I wouldn't be disappointed.
thank you so much for that comment. It actually made my day!

As you are new to UO, If you are ever over on Oceania (my shard) do head to the Emporium (link on my sig for directions) and say hello. If you do go to my site, you also may like to look at some of the 'quests' there on the quest link as you may not be aware of them.

Lord Gareth

UO Content Editor | UO Chesapeake & Rares News
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
Lord Gareth: I love the inside of your bank, but the outside of it doesn't fit with the rest of the town at all. Your bank will obviously be convenient due to all that you crammed into it, but it just doesn't look like a bank. Why is there an archer range on the side of a bank? And is that a pig-pen on the roof? I do feel you have one of the best looking interiors, however. I love what you've done there. Nicely done!
First off welcome to UO. I would like to be a critic to you. You don't play the other shards so don't worry about why some banks have what they have. The "Pig Pen" which is a Dueling area for tamers and for fel a pvp dueling area is something about thirty people on the Chesapeake shard asked me to put in. Many people asked if I would put in the smith/tailor area which I was going to do anyways.

Others wanted a relaxed area and the fountain would be over done so I went with the marble island fire pit.

And last Welcome to Ultima Online. Its a fantasy roleplay game. The bank doesn't look like a bank.... Well I don't really see people Recalling into Comerica bank in real life. So that's my defense.

I will take the advice that many have said to me. "Your opinon is invalid and does not matter. If you wanted the bank to look a certain way then you should have enterd. Since you felt it your duty to critize others designed. I AWAIT your design to be posted here. I will wait a week. So lets see how much better your design is then everyone elses YOU picked apart."

Nalif

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
First off welcome to UO.
First off, thanks for the welcome.
I will take the advice that many have said to me. "Your opinon is invalid and does not matter.
Then why the reply? If none of this matters, why did you waste your time hitting the reply button?
If you wanted the bank to look a certain way then you should have enterd.
I didn't even know the contest existed until I saw the results posted.
Since you felt it your duty to criticize others designed.
My duty? It's my right to have an opinion. Are you saying because you can't handle it, I shouldn't be able to express it? What happened to "Your opinon is invalid and does not matter." ?
I AWAIT your design to be posted here.
Don't hold your breath.

If you get angry when others give you an honest critique, then don't enter a contest. I'm not about to go design a bank just because you're overly sensitive of what others say about your design. I don't have to validate my opinion just because you don't like it. I said I like the inside of your bank, and for the most part, the outside is done very well. That's my opinion. And you're correct, it doesn't have to matter to you. That doesn't change the fact that it's a valid opinion. I made sure to post the good with the bad, not just say that I think yours is terrible; it's not. My opinion stands. Deal with it.

DevilsOwn

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think that's everyone that posted their designs to this thread. I hope I haven't stepped on too many toes. I feel constructive criticism is important, however. Everyone here had great designs, but I do feel a few changes are in order on some of them. This contest was an obvious success, in my opinion. Thanks to everyone who participated! It's things like this that draw me to UO!
nope, ya missed mine :)

Nalif

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
nope, ya missed mine :)
Whoops! Sorry about that. The link ones were hard for me to find :-\

I think your designs are fantastic! I love the gardens. Your stairs are some of the best I've seen. I'll definitely be visiting your bank! Sorry I missed it the first time around.

Velvathos

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So far Catskills and Europa have the best looking banks in my opinion, and I have yet to see Pacific...

JC the Builder

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I will take the advice that many have said to me. "Your opinon is invalid and does not matter. If you wanted the bank to look a certain way then you should have enterd. Since you felt it your duty to critize others designed. I AWAIT your design to be posted here. I will wait a week. So lets see how much better your design is then everyone elses YOU picked apart."
Just because someone decides not to enter or didn't have the chance, does not make their opinion of the winning entries invalid. There is a fancy debating term for this fallacy but I don't know what it is.

Nalif said:
I didn't even know the contest existed until I saw the results posted.
Yeah, they could certainly have done a better job getting the word out. Mentions on the patch notes screen, in a newsletter and more prominently on the website would have helped.

RibaIdry

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The first one shown in this thread, the simple one with the picnic tables, was nice. Gareth's is a cluttered nightmare and the one for Atlantic, where I play, looks like the roof of every stupid house in the game. Disappointing.

Lord Gareth

UO Content Editor | UO Chesapeake & Rares News
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
If you get angry when others give you an honest critique, then don't enter a contest. I'm not about to go design a bank just because you're overly sensitive of what others say about your design. I don't have to validate my opinion just because you don't like it. I said I like the inside of your bank, and for the most part, the outside is done very well. That's my opinion. And you're correct, it doesn't have to matter to you. That doesn't change the fact that it's a valid opinion. I made sure to post the good with the bad, not just say that I think yours is terrible; it's not. My opinion stands. Deal with it.
Nope I am taking the Critique. I just want to see what you can create.

D

Dragon Mist

Dragon Mist: Nicely done! I love your bank. Everything fits, nothing is over-done, and it's all in good taste. I feel that it fits the town very well.
Welcome to UO and thank you. My intent was to create a "bank" look and feel without it looking to crowded or flashy. I had several other aspects that I designed for WBB but took them out as it made the outside look more like a world bizarre and less like a bank.

Again Welcome to UO and Thank You.
Dragon Mist (a.k.a. Arlon Elenasse)

BlissMarie

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
First, I'd like to mention that I'm new to UO, and that I just started playing several months back.
BlissMarie: Almost missed yours! I love your design. Everything you've done looks nice!
Nalif, welcome to UO and thank you for your kind words. =)

BlissMarie

L

Lady Arianne

I can tell you it doesn't involve a loom floating in the moat of the castle or trees sprouting up with moongates in them. Or someone pitching a tent on a paved roof.

They look like someone has tried to make them into everything they could ever possibly use and it shows. A gaudy dissorganised mess.

*wonders what happened to your entry?*

M

MorganaLeFey

First off welcome to UO. I would like to be a critic to you. You don't play the other shards so don't worry about why some banks have what they have. The "Pig Pen" which is a Dueling area for tamers and for fel a pvp dueling area is something about thirty people on the Chesapeake shard asked me to put in. Many people asked if I would put in the smith/tailor area which I was going to do anyways.

Others wanted a relaxed area and the fountain would be over done so I went with the marble island fire pit.

And last Welcome to Ultima Online. Its a fantasy roleplay game. The bank doesn't look like a bank.... Well I don't really see people Recalling into Comerica bank in real life. So that's my defense.

I wasn't going to post anything in this thread as I read the other topic in which you insisted on pulling your design out of the winners circle. I came here to see what all the criticism was about but this one compelled me to post.

First of all, your response to a new player is not only diva-ish, it is also crass and a step beyond necessary. :yell:

It is clear from your many posts in the other thread, as well as this one, that you can't handle a straightforward and simply well thought out and positive constructive criticism that didn't pinpoint one design in particular. Rather, the writer commented on all designs posted.

No disrespect but your own ego got the best of you and your immaturity shows. (How's that as a direct criticism).

Further, it is a moot point as to what anyone says about any of the designs, myself included, since the winners are already selected and peoples opinions aren't going to affect the outcomes one way or the other.

If I were in your shoes, I would have thanked everyone not only for their positive feedback, but also for their criticisms as well as I am a person that appreciates that sort of straightforwardness as I tend to learn to improve upon things that way.

Unfortunately, I have little respect for anyone seeming to be an attention getting blackhole. [snap] But, as you'd say, my "... opinon is invalid and does not matter. ..." You may carry on.

Gheed

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Are there any winning entries which did not place a moongate at the bank?
I could have kicked myself for not completing mine. I didn't think the devs would have allowed another moongate. I didn't deco the bank so much as add a Yomotsu caravan with smithy, tailoring and a tamers' wagon spread around the bank complete with NPC's. I just didn't think they would add the NPCs. Maybe they wouldn't have. Oh well maybe next time.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Only reason I put one in mine is because no one on siege uses the brit bank cause of how far away it is from the moongate. Not every has magery to gate around.

DevilsOwn

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Only reason I put one in mine is because no one on siege uses the brit bank cause of how far away it is from the moongate. Not every has magery to gate around.
no moongate for mine, but I kinda wish I had.... to be honest, thought my entry would get tossed out for the attempt :eek: ah well

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I wasn't going to post anything in this thread as I read the other topic in which you insisted on pulling your design out of the winners circle. I came here to see what all the criticism was about but this one compelled me to post.

First of all, your response to a new player is not only diva-ish, it is also crass and a step beyond necessary.

It is clear from your many posts in the other thread, as well as this one, that you can't handle a straightforward and simply well thought out and positive constructive criticism that didn't pinpoint one design in particular. Rather, the writer commented on all designs posted.

No disrespect but your own ego got the best of you and your immaturity shows. (How's that as a direct criticism).

Further, it is a moot point as to what anyone says about any of the designs, myself included, since the winners are already selected and peoples opinions aren't going to affect the outcomes one way or the other.

If I were in your shoes, I would have thanked everyone not only for their positive feedback, but also for their criticisms as well as I am a person that appreciates that sort of straightforwardness as I tend to learn to improve upon things that way.

Unfortunately, I have little respect for anyone seeming to be an attention getting blackhole. [snap] But, as you'd say, my "... opinon is invalid and does not matter. ..." You may carry on.
While Gareth may have handled the new player's criticism badly, you are the one that seems to be missing the forest for the trees.

Over on another forum, Garath was being flamed and otherwise abused so badly for his design that he actually asked here for his design to be withdrawn AFTER IT HAD WON. OF course, people who liked his design talked him out of it, and he took it back.

Frankly, Morgana, you are probably one of the biggest examples of the thing you decry in your last paragraph - talk about the pot calling the kettle black. One only has to look at the King Casca threads to see you in full Diva mode....

Gheed

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
While Gareth may have handled the new player's criticism badly, you are the one that seems to be missing the forest for the trees.

Over on another forum, Garath was being flamed and otherwise abused so badly for his design that he actually asked here for his design to be withdrawn AFTER IT HAD WON. OF course, people who liked his design talked him out of it, and he took it back.

Frankly, Morgana, you are probably one of the biggest examples of the thing you decry in your last paragraph - talk about the pot calling the kettle black. One only has to look at the King Casca threads to see you in full Diva mode....
Hey she was role playing in those threads wasn't she?

Honestly I didn't like any of the designs I have seen. I'm not a fan at all of roof art. But that is a personal preference and not geared toward any individual that entered and won. I grew up in a small town. Roofs were pretty much used to keep the rain out. But I can understand those that live in a large city might use a roof for a garden or something else that may make use of the extra space.

So I can plant a little of that fiction in my head and move on. But folks have to live with the fact that their ideas are guaranteed to rub other folks the wrong way. (don't get me started on mining) :)

Her (Morgana's) response may have been a little passionate but the lesson is spot on. And Gareth's level of frustration should have been taken up with the admins instead of a public display. Think of all of the things the devs have endured over the years. They let it roll off. And that is a valuable lesson to learn for any artist working in any medium

L

Lord Drakelord

no moongate for mine, but I kinda wish I had.... to be honest, thought my entry would get tossed out for the attempt :eek: ah well
I did not place a gate on mine, you can see the two snaps I sent in on the Sonoma forum.

F

Flora Green

If I had entered I doubt I would have placed a moongate since Origin has one that leads from Luna to Cove and then to Brit. It's just one extra step and more convenient than running from the Brit gate as itis now. But, I can understand why others did added one, especially if the point is to get people back to Brit.

M

MorganaLeFey

Thank you kindly for your critique of my post. I appreciate your straightforwardness very much. I especially admire your ability to judge my divaness by the very few posts I made in the thread you mentioned.

People who know me well know that I am far from a diva as a grandmother could be. What have I to gain from pursuing the path of a diva is beyond me. However, since you can see me for who or what I am, perhaps you can enlighten this old hag as to your insightful wisdom on what a diva mode is?

Might I ask a favor though? Rather than hijack this thread, as others might do, could you please post me your response via PM and I'll be glad to reflect on your wisdom in due time. I am sure you'd agree that there is enough tit-for-tat going back and forth that is, for the most part, useless and unnecessary. Thank you in advance.

M

MorganaLeFey

Hey she was role playing in those threads wasn't she?

Honestly I didn't like any of the designs I have seen. I'm not a fan at all of roof art. But that is a personal preference and not geared toward any individual that entered and won. I grew up in a small town. Roofs were pretty much used to keep the rain out. But I can understand those that live in a large city might use a roof for a garden or something else that may make use of the extra space.

So I can plant a little of that fiction in my head and move on. But folks have to live with the fact that their ideas are guaranteed to rub other folks the wrong way. (don't get me started on mining) :)

Her (Morgana's) response may have been a little passionate but the lesson is spot on. And Gareth's level of frustration should have been taken up with the admins instead of a public display. Think of all of the things the devs have endured over the years. They let it roll off. And that is a valuable lesson to learn for any artist working in any medium
Strewth! Speaking for myself of course as I cannot speak for my namesake and her sister Abigail.

In the Casca thread, I was being true to my role as a loyal subject of Lord British. Hence, my call to deny Casca the Upstart a throne that is not abandoned.

I thank you kindly for clarifying my intentions which, I did such a poor job of in my previous post.

Harlequin

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
On UOForums there is a post showing 9 of the entries. Eight of them have moongates.
I happen to like the moongates! I'd always wondered why brit's was so much further than the others (including yew, minoc/vesper).

Edit: JC, I found that each of them have a gate, which is the one with no gate?

Harlequin

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Gareth, the wife and I know first hand that what it's like to design something we think is beautiful (she draws CG and I do mods) and have other people that doesn't like our style trash it without a care for the effort and love put in. (Nalif did not do this, she complimented you while at the same time expressed her views).

I love your design, it looks wonderful and is functional. But the last paragraph is uncalled for. And I am also guessing that you have already toned it down. There are many times where we felt like telling the critics "Right, so let's see you try to do better", but that's just the anger and ego talking.

If you can't cool down enough to answer, don't answer yet - that's my wife's advice to me when I started modding and got my first negative feedback.

You need to learn how to deal with the criticisms and to channel your frustrations positively, you learned something new - eg some people don't like things a certain way. Check, your next design, you will do better because of all the praises and crticisms.

Everytime you design something, be prepared to be criticized badly and have your ego stepped on until you just feel like giving up.

I mean, just look at the devs :D You think they don't feel terrible after designing something they all agree is wonderful and have a handful of people criticize it badly?

Not sure if it makes sense now, but it will after a couple of years and you see the same thing happen to other people.

Meanwhile, don't give up and don't give in.

M

Mythic

Ok Miner, That design is just awesome. The whole water thing does kind of drive me up a wall though

TheChocolits

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Can someon please direct me to the winning designs for Pacific and Origin?

I've seen every other winning designs, just missing those two.. Everyone did a great job and congratz to the winners again. :D

Thanks in advance.