• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[UO Herald] All Shards to be Published

Hunter Moon

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
WOW didn't leave much time for testing or finding bugs and fixing them? I thought they wanted Origin to test the hell outta it??? Oh well...

Hunter Moon [HOT] Atlantic

D

D'Amavir

Prepare for Guardzone House Placement Part II. Another rush job through testing by a group of developers that need MORE testing for their changes than less. Makes sense considered who is involved. Not shocking. Sadly.

K

Katlene

i probably should know this anyway but...
Is there a list somewhere that gives the times for server down? i think for us on oce its abour 2am our time, id like to know for sure though.

Norrar

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
*grins* hooray! been lookin forward to this all week...and last week,...

*runs off to repair armor and weapons*

R

Rix/\

all day long I've been reading threads of "when will we have or halloween stuff" here it is and the first 2 post are ohnoes it's too soon.

D

D'Amavir

all day long I've been reading threads of "when will we have or halloween stuff" here it is and the first 2 post are ohnoes it's too soon.
You haven't seen any posts from me asking them to rush a major patch like this live without testing it enough. Not one. But, the sadist in me is looking forward to the fallout from this one. The part where the same people yeehawing this rush move pop up on the board whining about some bug that's in it.

I hope I am wrong and that all the bugs being reported here, and those not found in the weeks that this has been on Origin, are all fixed and that the fixes were so awesomely awesome that they didn't even need testing. But, considering the fiasco of P55, well....just consider P55.

Kariny

UO Lake Superior News Reporter
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
:D
i probably should know this anyway but...
Is there a list somewhere that gives the times for server down? i think for us on oce its abour 2am our time, id like to know for sure though.

http://support.ea.com/cgi-bin/ea.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=300
The Ultima Online servers are constantly in the process of "backing up" the game. It takes about 45 to 90 minutes for each cycle to complete, though the length of time this takes depends greatly on the amount of data that is stored in each world.

The daily maintenance period will start at the first completed backup cycle after the maintenance window begins. For example, if all things were perfect, the backup would end at 5:00am, and the server would go down for maintenance at this time as well. However, if the server is in the middle of a backup at 5:00am, it will continue that backup to the end, and then go down for maintenance. Due to this factor of uncontrolled variability in the backup cycles, the downtime will not happen at exactly 5:00am each day.

Maintenance Schedule

Japanese Shards 8am JST:
Asuka
Hokuto
Izumo
Mizuho
Mugen
Sakura
Wakoku
Yamato

European Shards 5am GMT/UTC:
Drachenfels
Europa

Korean Shards 9am KST:
Arirang
Balhae

Taiwanese Shard 8am:
Formosa

Eastern USA Shards 5am EST/EDT
Atlantic
Catskills
Chesapeake
Great Lakes
Lake Superior
Legends
Siege Perilous

Western USA Shards 5am PST/PDT
Baja
Lake Austin
Napa Valley
Pacific
Sonoma
Origin

Australian Shard 5am AEST
Oceania

Veteran Rewards Database: Noon CST

Also, us vampires, uh...I mean night shift workers are on at 2am.:D

Hunter Moon

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Actually I also never asked them to hurry it along. Giving in to the pressure of all the people yelling for instant gratification will burn them if there are horrible bugs. The same people will be flaming them for it after a rushed publish.

Yes I can't wait to try it all, but I would rather it be done correctly then slapped together and thrown to the unsuspecting masses. I have played for 9 years now and seen rushed patches with horrible bugs that crippled the game and even ones that forced resets of the server because they were so destructive.

If it is ready, that is AWESOME, but they JUST put it on Origin and asked Origin to test the heck out of it.. and barely a day and a half later they announce it will be mass published? Isn't that a contradiction to their request?

I droolingly anticipate a glorious turkey dinner on Thanksgiving, but I would never rush it before it is done and risk a serious case of salmonella.

K

Katlene

awesome thanks for that!!
5am is definitly a time it wont effect me at all!!
Cant wait for it to happen though!:mf_prop:

Sargon

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
What's the point of putting something on Test Center at all? Why would anyone waste their time when the publishes are rushed right through to production anyway?

D

D'Amavir

Actually I also never asked them to hurry it along. Giving in to the pressure of all the people yelling for instant gratification will burn them if there are horrible bugs. The same people will be flaming them for it after a rushed publish.

Yes I can't wait to try it all, but I would rather it be done correctly then slapped together and thrown to the unsuspecting masses. I have played for 9 years now and seen rushed patches with horrible bugs that crippled the game and even ones that forced resets of the server because they were so destructive.

If it is ready, that is AWESOME, but they JUST put it on Origin and asked Origin to test the heck out of it.. and barely a day and a half later they announce it will be mass published? Isn't that a contradiction to their request?

I droolingly anticipate a glorious turkey dinner on Thanksgiving, but I would never rush it before it is done and risk a serious case of salmonella.

You don't even have to go back 9 years. Try P55. Another rush job and we saw how that one turned out.

And for the person saying testing on TC is a waste, you are dead on. People have tested it on both TC and Origin and took the time to post bugs they found. The response from this great dev team? Move it live and ignore the bugs! Awesome show, great job.

soze

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well, i hope it does not have any bugs, but, it is great to see that halloween content will happen this year before Halloween.

last year at this time we were all looking at each other on UO Hall, waiting and waiting for some glimpse of the event

So...good for the Devs, thank you

Kariny

UO Lake Superior News Reporter
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
WOW didn't leave much time for testing or finding bugs and fixing them? I thought they wanted Origin to test the hell outta it??? Oh well...

Maybe they want us to catch the bugs ourselves. Hence the GM Beggers getting webs this year. :spider:

Gheed

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It is what it is. Jeremy said they don't like to publish on the last day of the working week. The holiday happens to fall on the last day of the working week this year.

So they get a few extra days before the holiday to find and fix major issues (if any) before the weekend. Let'em publish now so maybe they can enjoy Halloween with their family and friends.

It Lives

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You don't even have to go back 9 years. Try P55. Another rush job and we saw how that one turned out.

And for the person saying testing on TC is a waste, you are dead on. People have tested it on both TC and Origin and took the time to post bugs they found. The response from this great dev team? Move it live and ignore the bugs! Awesome show, great job.
Name a Single Publish that has not had a bug......rush what rush?

How many Months has it been since 55?

There could be a whole year of work on one Publish and a year after that of " testing" and there will still be bugs.
PUUULLEEEZE!! :grouphug:

Your search for perfection will leave you as bitter as **** and vinegar.

D

D'Amavir

Name a Single Publish that has not had a bug......rush what rush?

How many Months has it been since 55?

There could be a whole year of work on one Publish and a year after that of " testing" and there will still be bugs.

PUUULLEEEZE!! :grouphug:
Agreed. They should just go ahead and shut down TC and fire their QA team. No point for either. And they need to stop releasing things to Origin first and just move them right from development to broad release like other businesses involved in development do.

We could have had this a week sooner if they just did that and didn't waste time moving it to TC. We want our webs!:thumbup1:

gunneroforgin

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
All shards will be updated with Publish 56 at their next regular maintenance.

More...
Oh good, you can screw up the names on all the bod books on all shards now.

After the last patch I have had to go back and rename all my BOD books. So when the rest of the shards are published. they can check this new feature out. All my books were named "1_val".

D

Deb

I am looking forward to this publish as much as the next person, but
I certainly hope that the bugs that were found on Origin were fixed
first. One more day of testing and maybe fixing them wouldn't have
hurt that much.rolleyes:

L

Lord Kynd

i've given up on Origin shard being the 'public' testing grounds like it was made for.
*shakes head *

A

~Antzy~Pantz~

What's the point of putting something on Test Center at all? Why would anyone waste their time when the publishes are rushed right through to production anyway?

What the hell you talkin about?!? It was on test for a week, that is plenty of time to find bugs. I for one didn't find a single bug and I did all the quests in Mag, the yew quest, pvp'd and did the faction stuff! ... found nothing!
So with that said, I think it was on test long enough!

D

D'Amavir

What the hell you talkin about?!? It was on test for a week, that is plenty of time to find bugs. I for one didn't find a single bug and I did all the quests in Mag, the yew quest, pvp'd and did the faction stuff! ... found nothing!
So with that said, I think it was on test long enough!
Don't read much of the threads here huh? There is one showing quite a few bugs found that haven't been addressed yet. Not to mention that a member of the dev team ADMITTED that the GM Begging reward was bugged and that it had to be fixed. However, it was never 'fixed' on TC and who knows if it was fixed on Origin. Time will tell I guess.

But, the facts are that many people did find bugs and at least one of them was acknowledged by the dev member in question.

Sneaky Que

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Bugs or not... this publish has been in testing on the Retribution shard for MONTHS, saying it has been 'rushed' through is incorrect. They have continually delayed it in order to ensure there were as little bugs as possible!

Sure, there will be some bugs... but it wouldn't be UO without some bugs, would it?

S

Sarphus

I am looking forward to this publish as much as the next person, but
I certainly hope that the bugs that were found on Origin were fixed
first. One more day of testing and maybe fixing them wouldn't have
hurt that much.rolleyes:
Just an observation... The devs have been very silent since patcherday.

It's crunch time. I'm sure they're cranking away at all the known bugs. Honestly, I don't think the pub is that buggy, though. I've encountered small bugs, but nothing that completely destroys my gameplay. Granted, I don't do BoDs.

BbqLou

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Prepare for Guardzone House Placement Part II. Another rush job through testing by a group of developers that need MORE testing for their changes than less. Makes sense considered who is involved. Not shocking. Sadly.
Their would be bugs even if they gave it another week! :mf_prop:

D

D'Amavir

Their would be bugs even if they gave it another week! :mf_prop:
Of course. So why test anything at all then? Move it right from development to live servers. After all, even if they QA it there are still going to be bugs, right? Logic for sure. Yay!

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Don't read much of the threads here huh? There is one showing quite a few bugs found that haven't been addressed yet. Not to mention that a member of the dev team ADMITTED that the GM Begging reward was bugged and that it had to be fixed. However, it was never 'fixed' on TC and who knows if it was fixed on Origin. Time will tell I guess.

But, the facts are that many people did find bugs and at least one of them was acknowledged by the dev member in question.
Just because it wasn't fixed on test doesn't mean it was fixed at all. Just because they haven't addressed anything doesn't mean they aren't doing anything to fix it. Just because they haven't publicly acknowledged it doesn't mean they are not working on it. Etc, etc, etc, etc. No need to so quick to point the finger and blame just because they are quick at releasing something. So many people kept complaining about Halloween content always being late, so if you want to blame someone blame them.

D

D'Amavir

Just because it wasn't fixed on test doesn't mean it was fixed at all. Just because they haven't addressed anything doesn't mean they aren't doing anything to fix it. Just because they haven't publicly acknowledged it doesn't mean they are not working on it. Etc, etc, etc, etc. No need to so quick to point the finger and blame just because they are quick at releasing something. So many people kept complaining about Halloween content always being late, so if you want to blame someone blame them.
That's like blaming a kid when their parents let them do something stupid just because the kid whines a lot. Parents should be smart enough to know to do the right thing even in the face of whining. Devs in UO should be the same way. I said should, I know they aren't. But they should be.

As for them doing things without telling people, I would think that if something as discussed as the new threads would get some feedback from the devs themselves. They were told about a bug, they claimed the have fixed that bug but then turned around and said that it couldn't be tested on TC. That in itself is silly.

No one is saying they have to tell things at every stage from concept to design to coding to testing to release. But, there should be some communication, even if its just admitting that they can't fix bugs and that we should give up trying to get them to.

I know many people that could have saved a bunch of time that was wasted testing on TC and Origin if they knew their efforts would just be ignored.

Like I said, get rid of TC and Origin and QA completely. That way we can get patches a lot faster since we won't waste time having it sitting on a shard being 'tested' for no reason other than wasting the testers time. Since so many people aren't bothered by major bugs, like the guardzone bug that was moved into live servers with no testing, we might as well just open the floodgates and stop wasting dev time on trying to fix things they just aren't capable of fixing.

RaDian FlGith

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The question, of course, is why has it become "beating a dead horse" to expect that the stuff going through into the production shards is, in fact, properly tested?

I mean, no offense to those who have suggested that a week on Test Center is adequate to test for bugs, but if that had ever been the case, Origin would never have been put into production. Unfortunately, Test Center does not, in a great many ways, reflect the actual playing population.

Which leads us back to Origin. The original purpose of Origin was to place production-ready code onto a "production" server that could, at any moment, be reverted if there was a serious issue. Since Origin's launch, I don't actually remember any reversions happening on the shard, and it's certainly been ages since the shard was actually used for more than a couple of days to "test" something.

Additionally, I know of several cases where serious bugs found on Origin were simply pushed through into production to be fixed a week or two (and sometimes longer) later.

Which definitely confirms the need to ask the question, "Why have a QA process at all?"

E

Evilminion

Since the more important question, as I see it, is "why have Halloween content if it's not available for Halloween", I'm all OVER the idea that they're publishing to the regular shards now. :thumbup1: :thumbup1:

Bring on the spiderwebs and pixie sticks! You'll be finding my exploded corpses all OVER Skara Brae... :D

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Okay Im curious.

The publish went live today, correct? On all shards.

We have a list of known bugs and issues...correct?

Anyone take the time to test these on their shard yet? Maybe they DID fix them? And if they haven't lets just keep an updated list going, let the team enjoy their weekend, I know I won't be on UO, I got kids excited about Halloween!

I do want those webs though, and the vampire bats? SHWEET!

TheChocolits

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
All shards will be updated with Publish 56 at their next regular maintenance.

More...

Misc

A tamed sheep can only be shorn by the owner
Halleluyah!! .. Now I can actually herd my sheep without fear of getting its fur ripped off in a crowd! wheee! Big hugs!

A tamed cow can only be milked by the owner
Uh... We can actually MILK COWS!!..(sori been away for awhile to miss out on this) *grabs a bucket n hurries off to the nearby farm* :p

Oh btw, so uh... like when can our chickens start laying eggs for us to pick? :D