• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

NEWS [UO.Com] Testing Combat Changes on TC1

Gorath

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
So if parry is going to screw up the focus mage thing, I guess I will have to change around the template again?

120 mage/med/eval/resist/wrestle/100 scribe...and what else should I do?

Coming back after a long ass time.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
I did it when it was Alchemy breaking focused spec. Cursed myself, used Flamestrike. With Alchemy on my char, I did ~37. With focused spec, I did ~42 - 27 SDI on my suit.

I didn't cast it often to get the exact range of the SDI penalty for having Alchemy, but it sounds like that's just normal variation in your damage.

yep, youre right i took difference of scribe and focused

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
So nerf moving shot but keep parry the same? We need to take these changes into consideration with the other changes being made. If you look at it in isolation, it looks bad. If you look at it with the other changes, it makes sense.
Why do you suppose they nerfed moving shot?

if they nerf both it was pointless to do so in the first place

elster

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Why do you suppose they nerfed moving shot?

if they nerf both it was pointless to do so in the first place
Well moving shot is pretty much what forces a lot of players to play with parry. Mages won't usually have much trouble against other dexers. Other dexers seem to have problems against parry mages because they are so hard to hit. If they don't nerf parry, that'll certainly help my mage and everyone elses, so I won't complain about it, but in the name of balance it doesn't seem like a good idea. Mages will be pretty much OP against every dexxer template.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
No, it wasn't. People might actually attempt to use some of the other 30 skills in the game now.

oh really? 30 skills for pvp?

do tell, which ones would these be?

camping? itemid? herding?

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
@Merus @OREOGL
So your suggestions would be?
I posted my suggestion earlier in this thread.

Lets push out a few small changes and see what happens. Ultimately, I think I favor getting rid of the focus spec altogether and balancing SDI across the board in PVP on a spell by spell basis.

cholupa

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
I must say these combat changes look promising. Loving the Moving Shot and Parry nerfs especially. Might be able to see some other temps finally.

elster

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I definitely agree. It won't be perfect, but it seems like a major improvement to the balance of PVP in the game. As much as people are complaining, it seems like way more are looking forward to it. I'd also like to take a moment to appreciate the devs listening to the players and working together on making PVP better.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Well moving shot is pretty much what forces a lot of players to play with parry. Mages won't usually have much trouble against other dexers. Other dexers seem to have problems against parry mages because they are so hard to hit. If they don't nerf parry, that'll certainly help my mage and everyone elses, so I won't complain about it, but in the name of balance it doesn't seem like a good idea. Mages will be pretty much OP against every dexxer template.
Ok, lets do the math.

an archer outside of running shot can still do 35 + 9 + 11 points of damage in 1.25 seconds.

so base 70 points in 2.5 seconds. up to 110 in 2.5 seconds. from ai and hit spells.

this nerf drops a normal parry mage damage to 65-66 damage in 3.75 seconds.
(69-72 with scribe).

You factor in parry as straight % of blocking not including hld and rng the archer will hit you AT LEAST once every 3.75 seconds. The mages damage output is flat not including interruptions.

so while a dexer can max out at 165 damage in 3.75 seconds a mage can now only do the forementioned damage.

what kind of logic is that?

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
You seem very focused on nerfing specific players templates, and not balancing as a whole.
Where do you get it not being balanced off quoting me? -There's no other way to reach the conclusion you just said.

It's specific because that's what is overpowered.

You don't need to nerf what's overpowered... you could buff everything that's underpowered to achieve balance...
It just so happens, there are more things that are Underpowered vs Overpowered.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
I posted my suggestion earlier in this thread.

Lets push out a few small changes and see what happens. Ultimately, I think I favor getting rid of the focus spec altogether and balancing SDI across the board in PVP on a spell by spell basis.
Guy is deflecting the argument.

This isn't about making other suggestions.

It's about providing feed back in THIS one, which makes no sense at all.

elster

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Guy is deflecting the argument.

This isn't about making other suggestions.

It's about providing feed back in THIS one, which makes no sense at all.
No. Asking someone for more feedback than "don't do this, this is a **** show" is not deflecting the argument. It's an attempt to get some substance into it. Stratics users get so butthurt, and take it so personal when someone disagrees with them. We can have an adult conversation where we disagree, it's okay, these things happen in the adult world. We both want to make the game better.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
I definitely agree. It won't be perfect, but it seems like a major improvement to the balance of PVP in the game. As much as people are complaining, it seems like way more are looking forward to it. I'd also like to take a moment to appreciate the devs listening to the players and working together on making PVP better.
Please add detail to your argument. What makes this an improvement?

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
No. Asking someone for more feedback than "don't do this, this is a **** show" is not deflecting the argument. It's an attempt to get some substance into it. Stratics users get so butthurt, and take it so personal when someone disagrees with them. We can have an adult conversation where we disagree, it's okay, these things happen in the adult world. We both want to make the game better.
I provided feedback and you deflected with "well what do you suggest?" I suggest they remove parry from the focused list. I do not need to make other suggestions to refute this one.

I also provided more feedback which you have not replied to.

elster

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Please add detail to your argument. What makes this an improvement?
Well, what you quoted was the opposite of an argument. I was agreeing with the poster, not arguing with them. The improvement comes with breaking up the archer/parry mage meta that we are currently stuck in.

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
So if parry is going to screw up the focus mage thing, I guess I will have to change around the template again?

Switch med or scribe for Alchemy. because Alchemy doesn't break focus spec and you get free 20-27 damage if your target is cursed. not to mention all the other potion bonuses.

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Perhaps an idea to consider down the like is to bump the effect of faster casting or increase the cap to 3/4 to bring casting times more in line with the 211 archer suits?

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Well, what you quoted was the opposite of an argument. I was agreeing with the poster, not arguing with them. The improvement comes with breaking up the archer/parry mage meta that we are currently stuck in.
You were disagreeing with me....which i clearly disagreed with parry on the focused mage list...which you clearly supported.

You went so far to even say that it makes sense to nerf the damage output of a parry mage because of running shot.

merus was also disagreeing with you...

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I provided feedback and you deflected with "well what do you suggest?" I suggest they remove parry from the focused list. I do not need to make other suggestions to refute this one.

I also provided more feedback which you have not replied to.
I was referring to the discussion we had prior to parry going on the focus list.

my suggested change to parry wouldn't have effected you, now look at what's on the table.

Edit: This post was not intended to be directed at you only. I was just saying... (in the other thread) Parry-Alchy-mages are overpowered.

by disagreeing with such nerfs, that means another nerf is in order. This is what happens when people don't suggest changes.... we know it's not "Fine" as it is, because thats the only thing that there is being played lol Archers & Parry-Alchy-Mages Everything else is a minority now. it's obvious there's a problem.

Last edited:

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
I was referring to the discussion we had prior to parry going on the focus list.

my suggested change to parry wouldn't have effected you, now look at what's on the table =X

I was referring to this post:

elster said:
@Merus @OREOGL

regardless neither of the changes i agree with.

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I was referring to this post:

elster said:
@Merus @OREOGL
mine was to reduce parry chance with wrestling and/or anatomy. down to 20% like it is for everything else that holds something in one-hand. (discussing balance is locked.)

either way, parry-mages with wrestling/anatomy need a reduction, because someone with Parry + swords or any weapon skill that needs a "weapon" won't have alchemy.

cobb

Sage
Stratics Veteran

You could drop Med and get Alchy. Also maybe switch wrestling to a weapon skill

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
mine was to reduce parry chance with wrestling and/or anatomy. down to 20% like it is for everything else that holds something in one-hand. (discussing balance is locked.)

either way, parry-mages with wrestling/anatomy need a reduction, because someone with Parry + swords or any weapon skill that needs a "weapon" won't have alchemy.
Yeah, I recall.

The math still doesnt equate to be balanced.

Aside from this, it does affect me because I do have a couple wrestle parry mages.

If the damage output were nerfed to make the change reasonable, Id be all for it.

Kiss Of Death

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Putting Parry on the Focused list makes sense.

You whinging about supernovas doesn't. You're just cry babying and you know it.

99% of pvpers have no issue with supernovas, unfortunately, you're just that little bit too salty to stop going on about it.

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Yeah, I recall.

The math still doesnt equate to be balanced.

Aside from this, it does affect me because I do have a couple wrestle parry mages.

If the damage output were nerfed to make the change reasonable, Id be all for it.
they get do damage via alchemy as well as defense, also upto 30% less dex needed (6) from the alchemy bonus to dex pots..

what math doesn't add up? I never said it would be perfect, but it would in fact have been better than this change. it's the best change suggested so far...

It didn't effect your parry-mage with a mage-weapon. but then again, you can't chug without sacrificing defense on that (so that doesn't need nerfed)

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Putting Parry on the Focused list makes sense.

You whinging about supernovas doesn't. You're just cry babying and you know it.

99% of pvpers have no issue with supernovas, unfortunately, you're just that little bit too salty to stop going on about it.

Based on what?

Because youd rather have them nerf that and not alchemy and novas because it's on your template?

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Someone remind me, is the focus based on real or modified skill?

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
they get do damage via alchemy as well as defense, also upto 30% less dex needed (6) from the alchemy bonus to dex pots..

what math doesn't add up? I never said it would be perfect, but it would in fact have been better than this change. it's the best change suggested so far...

It didn't effect your parry-mage with a mage-weapon. but then again, you can't chug without sacrificing defense on that (so that doesn't need nerfed)
Not everyone plays with alchemy using a wrestle parry mage.

But yeah, It may have been better than this change.

It didn't affect Odessey's template, he doesnt chug either.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Someone remind me, is the focus based on real or modified skill?
Leave parry off on test and having the parry +10 on the shield didnt affect the focused mage damage.

But I'm not sure if there's a skill limit.

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Leave parry off on test and having the parry +10 on the shield didnt affect the focused mage damage.

But I'm not sure if there's a skill limit.
The cap is 30, just not sure if it's real or modified skill:

Could have 30 parry skill + Heph + jewelry and get 70-80 parry out of the deal without breaking focus?

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Hey, I got an idea... Let's play this game...

If you have 100.0 skill free on your template and focus spec didn't exist, your only skill options are. Scribe. Poisoning, & Alchemy, which one would you pick?

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Hey, I got an idea... Let's play this game...

If you have 100.0 skill free on your template and focus spec didn't exist, your only skill options are. Scribe. Poisoning, & Alchemy, which one would you pick?
Depends on the template.

If I already had one of the three it'd dictate what I chose.

If you're saying if you didn't have any of them and was a parry Mage I'd opt for scribe. Long term damage outweighs an extra 10 points in 60 seconds...

Gorath

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Switch med or scribe for Alchemy. because Alchemy doesn't break focus spec and you get free 20-27 damage if your target is cursed. not to mention all the other potion bonuses.
I thought as of next update it will break the spec?

Gorath

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
You could drop Med and get Alchy. Also maybe switch wrestling to a weapon skill
Won't next update screw up the focus spec?

Will have to see about med, gear may not be at the point where I can drop med.

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I thought as of next update it will break the spec?
Alchemy has been removed from the break list (currently) -it's still open to change though same with the Parry being added to it.

Half the people in this thread are just complaining, and almost none of them are coming up with solutions.

Great DC

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
How bout they just have supernovas work like explosion potions. Where the caster/thrower of the potion takes the damage as well the people it hits. What a good solution this with will be!

Gorath

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Alchemy is no longer on the focused list.

Instead, they added parry to it.
LOL god damn.

So

Mage
Eval
Resist
Wrestle (I don't want to be disarmed)
Med
Alchemy

or Inscription? Just trying to think of what to do here....I don't think I have the gear to pull off no meditation.

Gorath

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Alchemy has been removed from the break list (currently) -it's still open to change though same with the Parry being added to it.

Half the people in this thread are just complaining, and almost none of them are coming up with solutions.
Basically same reply, shoulda just multi-replied.

Mage
Eval
Resist
Med
Alchemy

or Inscription? Just trying to think of what to do here....I don't think I have the gear to pull off no meditation.

elster

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

Mage
Eval
Resist
Med
Alchemy

If you don't plan on using wrestle special moves, you can get the same effect with 100 anat+120 eval and save 20 points

Gorath

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
If you don't plan on using wrestle special moves, you can get the same effect with 100 anat+120 eval and save 20 points
Since I don't have a lot of HCI or anything as a mage, probably no point in having wrestling right? Not like i'd land a stun punch right?

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Since I don't have a lot of HCI or anything as a mage, probably no point in having wrestling right? Not like i'd land a stun punch right?
Very rarely. It's mostly used for the defense. If you could keep it toggled while casting I'd attempt it a lot more.

Hmm. Actually, Dorinda's suggestion of keeping specs toggled while casting isn't a terrible idea...as long as it only applies to chars with Wrestle, since most of their offense comes from casting anyway.

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

Mage
Eval
Resist
Med
Alchemy

Yes, if you don't carry pots at all, then do scribe over alchemy.

most people... would do scribe & alchemy without having med.

Gorath

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Very rarely. It's mostly used for the defense. If you could keep it toggled while casting I'd attempt it a lot more.

Hmm. Actually, Dorinda's suggestion of keeping specs toggled while casting isn't a terrible idea...as long as it only applies to chars with Wrestle, since most of their offense comes from casting anyway.
Can you keep it toggled while casting? Or is this new change on TC changing as well?

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
How bout they just have supernovas work like explosion potions. Where the caster/thrower of the potion takes the damage as well the people it hits. What a good solution this with will be!
Good suggestion, at least there would be some drawbacks to using supernova... people would actually have to think about it or they may end up killing themselves =D