• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

NEWS [UO.Com] Server Latency Update

UO News

RSS Feed
RSS Feed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
From the Devs
2013 Mar 15 17:07 GMT
We are happy to announce that due to a lot of hard work and all the players feedback we have found a major cause for the lag everyone has been experiencing. We are publishing a fix for this and you will receive it after your normal maintenance cycle. If you do experience any lag over the weekend please send [email protected] the following information to help us in resolving the problem:

• Shard:
  • What you are doing when you experience the lag:
  • Time of day:
  • Location on shard when you experienced the lag:
We appreciate you guys being patient with us while we resolve this. Thank you!! BTW if we yelled April Fool’s right now would you string us up and burn us?

Bonnie "Mesanna" Armstrong
Producer UO
en

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

Queen Mum

Crazed Zealot
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
From the Devs
2013 Mar 15 17:07 GMT
We are happy to announce that due to a lot of hard work and all the players feedback we have found a major cause for the lag everyone has been experiencing. We are publishing a fix for this and you will receive it after your normal maintenance cycle. If you do experience any lag over the weekend please send [email protected] the following information to help us in resolving the problem:

• Shard:
  • What you are doing when you experience the lag:
  • Time of day:
  • Location on shard when you experienced the lag:
We appreciate you guys being patient with us while we resolve this. Thank you!! BTW if we yelled April Fool’s right now would you string us up and burn us?

Bonnie "Mesanna" Armstrong
Producer UO
en

Continue reading...

ummmm .... more like tar, feather, and then throw cookies at ya :p
*could be fun ya know!

Last edited by a moderator:

Amber Witch

Babbling Loonie
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I've got your back covered Queen Mum and help ya! *Hides behind the Queen*

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Easter Monday falls on April fools day this year - So I guess that means we dunk you in chocolate?

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I am several thousand miles away from the nearest server. Quoting and adapting Bane's wise words: "Oh, you think lag as your ally? You merely adopted the lag. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the low ping until I was already a woman.", so it won't change much for me. :p
And thus, no stringing you up and burning from my part. :)

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
They need to release mass vorpal bunnies into Luna and turn off the guards.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
nah, I prefer my chocolate to be on biscuits, cakes or sweets. It goes all gooey and melts if it's on people :D

On a serious note? How's the lag feeling to people? I'm not noticing any currently

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Everyday Petra. GL's has actually gotten more laggy since they changed whatever it is they did. Sometimes I can barely play at EM events like the one last Tuesday, I'm struggling.

FYI: I use the EC, play on GL's, we were in the dungeon area built by the EM and in Britain, there was quite a bit of flapping from both dragons and gargoyles. But what really slows me to a crawl is the folk spamming stuff like arch cure for no reason.

Winker

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
nah, I prefer my chocolate to be on biscuits, cakes or sweets. It goes all gooey and melts if it's on people :D

On a serious note? How's the lag feeling to people? I'm not noticing any currently
I'm gald you never said you were too old for it, Tery would never have forgien you ;)

Today is a lagless day so far, yesterday i was bogged down in lag for around 3 hours. All over the game, not just one location.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
For this thread yesterday, and last week, isn't relevant. Only today since maintenance.

Heimi

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Does this affect all servers? I came back a few days ago and noticed some lag especially around champ spawns, be nice if this fixes it :)

AxiamInc

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Most of the day has been pretty nice actually. However, for about the last 45 minutes.....this again. :(

Lag.JPG

cazador

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
They need to release mass vorpal bunnies into Luna and turn off the guards.
Would be great..unfortunately people would lose items and then come here and cry how they are quitting this stupid game because they went afk assuming they were safe..and demand the items be returned and then the MODs will be forced to lock the thread and receive hate PMs how they are unfair..but by all means DO IT! Please

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I have been on Alt (from the weat coast) and I didn't notice any lag that I did not expect from going all the way across the US.

cdavbar

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Everything was running smooth so I decided to host a Scalis event on GL. Sadly, at least for me the lag was HORRIBLE.

Time 9pm-10:15pm.
Shard: Great Lakes

Revan123

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
-Reposting this from my thread-
Sorry to say, but the recently published Fix does not seem to be helping. I am still lagging on every shard that I play very hard. The shards that I play are Atl, GL, Pacific, LS, Catskills, Chesapeake, and Europa. I seem to be lagging the most when I'm in Luna or Felucca Yew where there are a lot of houses or people. I also tend to lag harder when people attack me. The more people attacking me/on my screen, the more it freezes; where as if i'm dueling one person in a secluded spot it typically doesn't bother me. I'm not sure if it's the people or the content itself, because I may lag really hard in Yew even if there aren't many people there. It seems like my client has a hard time loading the houses and whatnot. But then again, I also lag hard even if there aren't any houses around. There was a few times where I was fighting a fair number of people in Despise or Terathan Keep with no houses or content around, and I still could barely move. I tend to to not lag much during the day, until about the afternoon. It progressively gets worse from 4-8pm and it stays that way until late into the night. It also seems to be worse on the weekends, I imagine because there's a lot of people on. Restarting my client seems to alleviate the problem, although it could just be that the lag is reducing as it typically does in it's fluctuations. So to reiterate, the factors that seem to affect my lag are: 1) The time of the day and the day of the week 2) The amount of people near me in game 3) Whether or not I'm in combat with those people 4) The amount of houses nearby 5) The last time I restarted my client. Of course, I don't know the source of the lag, so technically all of this is just speculation. But when you run at 40mbps where your character looks like a speeding bullet, and then suddenly; as it gets later in the day, or as soon you start to do certain things, you start moving like a dried up slug, you get an idea.

LordDrago

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Unfortunately, at this time, my lag has not been reduced. However, I blame this damn hotel I am stuck in and its wifi.

Gospel

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Everyday Petra. GL's has actually gotten more laggy since they changed whatever it is they did. Sometimes I can barely play at EM events like the one last Tuesday, I'm struggling.

FYI: I use the EC, play on GL's, we were in the dungeon area built by the EM and in Britain, there was quite a bit of flapping from both dragons and gargoyles. But what really slows me to a crawl is the folk spamming stuff like arch cure for no reason.
None of that has anything to do with server lag, which is what this thread is about. Your problem is on your end (client side).

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I had pretty severe lag tonight, on Lake Austin - not sure how much of it was EM event related, but I do know that when everyone from the event was on a different subserver, lag running through britain to get to the gate to join them was still pretty horrid, worse than what dial-up was like 10 years ago.

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
3-18.jpg

Numbers are about par for the course of late but I was running on an ostard at just over walking speed while playing on Siege.

cazador

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I thought for awhile it was my Internet..after playing Mortal Online/Age of Empires/Planetside2 watching YouTube browsing the web and just about everything else you can do via Internet and experiencing zero lag..I've come to the conclusion..it's UO! Go figure 15 years of service and something this simple is an issue..oh well SOTA soon..Keep up the good work!

Schatzi

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I really have not seen any improvement in the lag on Napa after 6pm pst. I did
send Mesanna an email like she requested.

sirion

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Including Formosa, terrible lag, most of the day and night, anywhere in game, doing anything in game.

Obsidian

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I have been playing on primetime (pacific time) almost every night for the past month on Origin shard as I build a char for pub 81 testing. I have seen a significant improvement since the announcement by Mesanna and the publish. Origin is relatively empty and prior to the update I would routinely freeze for around 5s at a time. It was like a universal freeze where no one advanced including the monsters. Since the fix there have been zero lag spikes for me. My ping to Origin ranges between 25-40ms both before and after the fix. I never had an issue with packet loss and still do not. From my vantage point, the publish helped tremendously.

Ron Silverbeard

Certifiable
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
My problems are back - right now i am experiencing 50% packet loss and average 189ms
Anyone else has problems?
I dont do much, i just try to MOVE my char on Pacific but after like 5-10 seconds i freeze for average 20 seconds...than over and over again the same..not playable actually...

ping.JPG

trace.JPG