• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

NEWS [UO.Com] Mythic and Advanced Character Tokens

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
In February and March 2013 I was contacted by a certain person via ICQ, that "his relative" was working for EA - and this "relative" was able to get his hands on some couple of hundreds codes (Advanced Char and Char Transfer). He asked me (and I bet many of you, too), whether I would be interested in buying them for real cash (via Paypal). I did not buy any. When I talked to a fellow player on DF, she told me never ever to talk to these people again. Everything would be completely illegal.

Now, funny thing: This person is still in my ICQ-list. Did you receive such offers, too? And what did you do? Should we contact Mesanna?
Yes you need her email I can give it to you.

The Zog historian

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
In February and March 2013 I was contacted by a certain person via ICQ, that "his relative" was working for EA - and this "relative" was able to get his hands on some couple of hundreds codes (Advanced Char and Char Transfer). He asked me (and I bet many of you, too), whether I would be interested in buying them for real cash (via Paypal). I did not buy any. When I talked to a fellow player on DF, she told me never ever to talk to these people again. Everything would be completely illegal.

Now, funny thing: This person is still in my ICQ-list. Did you receive such offers, too? And what did you do? Should we contact Mesanna?

Good that you didn't bite. It's worth mentioning to Mesanna, even if little can be done about someone on ICQ who may have long since shifted to a new number.

That reminds me of a guy at my high school. He was nicknamed "Wholesale" because of the low price he'd sell things for. Of course they were all legitimate, he said, nothing stolen. I'd forgotten about this scum over the years, but now that I think about it, he simply disappeared. Kicked out? Juvie? Wrong customer?

Podolak

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I mean for reals... is anyone legitiamately filling fort powder bods, or barb kits or w/e....
I am not the nicest player out there by any means but I do fill bods and turn them in for barbed kits. I am filling 16 barbed kit bods today for a new suit I am working on.

Prince Erik

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I fill powder bods and have two secures full of powder as a result - all legit. I'm trying to legitimately get one of every colored anvil by doing my own bods and I fill out even crappy weapons bods. I'm doing it all with one smith as a challenge. My previous challenge was to legitimately mine at least one full commodity deed of every ingot type (done) so I filled every bod and used up tons of garg axes and prospecting tools. ;)

-PE

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
There are plenty of people that play the game legitimately without trying to screw others over, whether that "other" is Mythic, their fellow players, or both. Those who don't believe in fair play want everyone to think that "everyone is doing it" - the more people they can convince that cheating is the norm, the more people will join them in their activities, the better they'll feel about themselves, and the less chance they have of getting caught. Or so they think...

claudia-fjp

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Some confusion stems from the terms we use, generally people call anything that uses an exploit to create items or gold out of nothing a dupe. For instance the old Hero/Evil system on Seige where you summoned as many nightmare mounts as you wanted and had them drop their gold or more recently the arena system, and now the tokens. These aren't true dupes, just exploits but we call them dupes because it makes stuff out of thin air and is easier to say than "an exploit that creates stuff". True dupes are where you start with item A, use an exploit to make a copy item B where you still have Item A. Examples of this are the reason we have had the hated Gate Cohesion all these years, character transfer shenanigans, and why a lot of things duped when they reverted atlantic for a month.

Eärendil

Legendary Mall Santa
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am playing this game by the rules, because...

...otherwise I wouldnt have fun
..I am very old-fashioned when it comes to morality
...all my friends and my guild plays by the rules
...DF is a small and honorable community, everybody knows if you are cheating, duping etc. (this is called "social control")

So, what am I doing acutally? I am a 100%-PVM-player that collects Arties, Dungeon Loot, crafts suits, builds and sells houses and does IDOCs occasionally. By this, you can get a billionaire easily. So, why cheating and duping? Got my first Small Soul Forge one week ago. After years of fighting this *******. This item means something to me, I achieved it.Thats why I hate dupers! They dont work hard, they dont achieve anything and they destroy the value of your stuff.

Frarc

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I just play for fun and to be with my friends. I don't need anything special for that. I don't need soo much gold. I don't need the best items. I like to work on my skills, slowly.

There are still many things i want and need to do, even after almost 15 years. I will get them but when and how fast is not important. :)

Last edited:

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I play because I enjoy the game and the community of friends I've built over the years. I do NOT play to get rich or make millions or billions of gold.

I still do all my skill gaining by hand, I still work tirelessly to gather what I need from whatever it is, farming down in Doom or the Abyss, I still do it... I gather my own. Suppose early on I opted to become self sufficient and I've maintained that. I buy from friends I know and trust and I sell things I've gained in-game if I need more gold. But mostly I just have fun...

Some measure fun by how much they acquire... Some measure fun by levels... Some measure fun by kills... I measure fun in time spent with good friends.

Some just want to make money and they don't care how they ruin the game for others they are here only to make a buck. I honestly wish they would leave and go ruin the economy of some other game... but lets be truthful they wouldn't be here if there was not a market. It's like buzzards circling a roadkill... more dead more buzzards... higher demand more scum.

Do I wish they would get their come-upance.... you bet I do. Is it any of my business what happens... no. Though I did very much like Draconi's style.

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I just play for fun and to be with my friends. I don't need anything special for that. I don't need soo much gold. I don't need the best items. I like to work on my skills, slowly.

There are still many things i want and need to do, even after almost 15 years. I will get them but when and how fast is not important. :)

I agree completely- which is why even though I have just over 3 billion in gold, I took the time to do all the fishing up, crabbing (fishing up crabs/lobsters sucks, seriously- suck *** system needs a revamp), ect- to get my own 120 fishing scroll.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There are far more legit players than the cheaters would like to admit to - that would totally negate their 'everybody does it' excuse.
I, like many of those who have posted before me, play for fun.
Several hours of my time this week have been spent killing savages to do Pepta's quest, fishing and crafting fish pies, distilling various concoctions, making dyes to colour the bottles, sinking ships for smuggled liquor and fancy fish steaks and cooking various other foodstuffs. Total expected gold return for these efforts 0gp, in fact I will be out of pocket by the cost of the special ingredients for the pies. They're intended for an 'alfresco buffet and wine tasting event' on Europa shard tonight. Fun not gold.

Black Majick

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you had 7 you were up to no good. Everyone with any more than 3 should be banned. 1 you can say you were going to use and you bought a fair price, if you had 2 the price must have been low enough for you to think you could make a quick buck reselling them. 3+ and you knew the price was way bellow the going rate and you knew you were buying dupped items and there for deserve a Ban
LOL...So I bought what I had the money to buy. I buy and resell to make money and finding multiple of an item at a good price does not mean I am up too no good. It just means I buy what I can get when I can get it to resell, even if I have to sit on them for a week or two. The guy with 50+ would be more suspicious. So would you say it is suspicious if I had 10 xfers in a box or 15 SS tokens?? No. They are items I found at a good price that I am holding onto to use or too sell.

I am glad you are not running them this game though. You would run away all the business by banning anyone with more than 4 of an item, haha.

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There are far more legit players than the cheaters would like to admit to - that would totally negate their 'everybody does it' excuse.

It's the way they make themselves feel better about themselves and justify their actions.

'Well, he beat me so he must be cheating/hacking'.

But, I can tell you for a fact, after being in the vent/chat for a number of pvp based guilds or have some of their players come into the vent I happen to be in at that time, that by in large an overwhelming majority of them cheat. By cheat I mean script, hack, speed hack (because 'everyone' does it).

It's funny to hear them justify their actions. The main reasons seem to be: All I want to do it PvP, why should I do all this carpal tunnel, care bear clicking, lame PvM clicking crap / If you don't speed hack, you lose, because everyone else does it / Everyone scripts crafting crap and skilling up is lame, I want to play the game.

It's amazing how open and relatively easy it is to get the information from the people who do it.

Lady CaT

Sage
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Why would you even consider this offer when you can buy Advance Character and Character Transfer codes from the EA Store directly?

Why give an anonymous person on ICQ money through Paypal for something that obviously seems illegal or a scam?

And NO the person wouldn't still be in my ICQ list no matter how funny.

Last edited:

Eärendil

Legendary Mall Santa
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Why would you even consider this offer when you can buy Advance Character and Character Transfer codes from the EA Store directly?
Maybe, you misread my message: I did not consider it. I talked to a fellow player on DF, because I was quite noobish in such things. I don´t have the fantasy and the computing skills to imagine, what people could do with such codes... She told me...

Ah, and I bought my share of codes, when we had a %-reduction for the EU-Origin-Store. You bet ;-)

Why would anyone give some anonymous person they don't know on ICQ money thru paypal for something that obviously seems illegal or a scam?
That is an interesting question, but I think, many people do. I do not! There are people who sell stuff via paypal and through ICQ. Why I know this? I know this not because I buy the stuff - nah, I know this, because those people advertise. People sell Luna-Houses for 1000 € and more, people sell gold for Dollars. And people sell duped items via paypal. I learned this, because I got "mass-spam" from certain people. I contacted Mesanna yesterday, sent her Screenshots and told her the whole story. Lets hope, it helps.

And NO the person wouldn't still be in my ICQ list.
Why does your message feel like an attack on me? Or do I misread your message? If you read my other postings, you will see, that I had a three months break. We had family business to do (second child will arrive soon) and I had to finish two books (I am an author). So, I really had more important things to do than cleaning my ICQ-list, which was shut down for three months.

The reason why I wrote this NOW was, that I read the postings here NOW and not three months ago. The person I am talking about, is not in my ICQ-list anymore. Is this enough information for you? I would expect something like "No offense" from you, Cat...

Lady CaT

Sage
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Is this enough information for you? I would expect something like "No offense" from you, Cat...

Sorry its my own fault for using Stratics to start. Stratics has become so negative and filled with useless opinions to game play. The negativity rubs off easily.
I should know better and definitely try not to contribute to it. Later! And no offense :) *heads back to game*

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Petra has the right idea of this whole thing.
Play
Have fun
Don't sweat the small stuff
and for the sake of argument...
Think before you type...

Assia Penryn

The Sleeping Dragon
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I make gold buying and reselling items as well. I enjoy stocking my vendors more than I do hunting, farming, pvp, etc. The gold I make from my vendors allows me not only the ability to buy the rares I collect, but also the freedom to purchase anything else I might need to enjoy any other aspect of the game at any given time. If I want to pvp, I can buy equipment and supplies. If I want to grow plants, I can buy the potions I need or the materials to make my own. I have folks approach me and often boast about their gold, items, rares, etc that they own... not realizing that even though I don't flaunt it... I am quite comfortable in-game. I do not buy gold, but I don't care if people do. If that is what they enjoy to do, why should I care? I'm happy with my own wealth level knowing that I earned it myself. I don't earn it by cheating others or being dishonest. No pixel is worth my integrity.

I didn't buy any tokens because I know the market and when you see tokens in endless supply that are 10m and should be much higher... well something is up. I won't jump on the bandwagon to say everyone is guilty if they bought one, two or hundred. Who am I to say whether or not their reason or risk is justified. Regardless of whatever I think of their actions or choices, consequences occur independent of that. Loosing gold... loosing tokens or having action against their account is something they'll have to face.

Kafka72

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So I guess I just eat the 30 MIL I spent for a Mythic Character token in Luna then. Or will there be a refund given for that?? I just reactivated my account for 6 more months maybe I should just ask for a refund on that and call it quits... :(

Warpig Inc

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So I guess I just eat the 30 MIL I spent for a Mythic Character token in Luna then. Or will there be a refund given for that?? I just reactivated my account for 6 more months maybe I should just ask for a refund on that and call it quits... :(

SlobberKnocker

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
glad to see that there are so many honest players who post on these boards.

people even paying out of pocket to provide services to others.

theres hope for mankind I suppose.