• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

NEWS [UO.Com] Greenlite UO on Steam

Status
Not open for further replies.

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Either Steam mail support is currently broken or I am missing something. I have a steam account for years and I am currently logged in via the steam client.
But when I click on the link to vote through the browser, Steam asks me to log in and when I log in, it says it has to send me a key on my mail.
I have received no mail from Steam whatsoever, no matter how many times I try to log in.
I have absolutely no desire to contact support and go through all that hassle just to click on vote button.
Either sort out a user-friendly interface, so people can one or two click vote for you or call Steam and have them fix their mail authentication problems.
Thank you.
Same thing happened to me. However, I did receive the email and fixed it right up. Check your spam folder, perhaps?

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
Either Steam mail support is currently broken or I am missing something. I have a steam account for years and I am currently logged in via the steam client.
But when I click on the link to vote through the browser, Steam asks me to log in and when I log in, it says it has to send me a key on my mail.
I have received no mail from Steam whatsoever, no matter how many times I try to log in.
I have absolutely no desire to contact support and go through all that hassle just to click on vote button.
Either sort out a user-friendly interface, so people can one or two click vote for you or call Steam and have them fix their mail authentication problems.
Thank you.
I had to do this and received the email, Try checking your other email accounts if you have them!

Flutter

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
*boggles*
I just read this thread.
Sometimes I feel like people make things up off of the top of their head just to confuse people, spread misinformation, or just to argue.
As a self proclaimed Social Media queen I can tell you Steam has about the same thing to do with social media as Origin does. Stratics is more "social media" than Steam.
Steam is a place where game makers can get the word out about their games, where gamers can go to find and try new games, and where investors can spend their money.
You can't vote without being a member of steam just because they don't want someone to make a zillion accounts to vote up their games. It's that simple.
Steam has been around a long time. Most gamers know what Steam is and have an account.
Believe me I know a lot of our present players are "old school" and opposed to change. This event will not change your UO lifestyle at all. What it's doing is givng Ultima Online
a virtual "shelf presence".
Like I said in another thread UO will die with us unless we get some fresh faces and some young blood. We don't want to become "the game that old people play" or "a game for your grandma".
Steam was a great move by Broadsword and further proof that they want their investment to grow.
Let's try to find some lively energy and push forward with a positive focus.
You don't have to vote if you are not already familiar with Steam. Just a suggestion though, you might want to give it a try.
:tinhat:

Dimitroff

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Thank you, Storm, turns out I forgot which mail I registered my steam account with.
It worked and I voted successfully.
Still, the voting process can be made much easier, in order to facilitate more votes faster, but I suppose that's not in Broadsword's garden, but in Steam's.

I just want to agree with Flutter that uploading UO in Steam is an excellent move by Broadsword, as Steam is the major game platform in the world and it will really make UO much more visible than it corrently is.
I would suggest Broadsword to accent on the legendary nature of this game in the steam presentation, as well as get some animators to create a descent "modern" cinematic intro, in order to attract "young blood". Something like: "This game is the Mother of All MMORPGs and it is not just a game, but a living world, where the possibilities are unlimited." would be the right thing to do.

G.v.P

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hm. I'm not sure, but, when you open the Steam client look near the top right, click the down arrow on your account, and choose "Account Details." Scroll down and look on the right hand side for your E-Mail and whether or not you're verified.

I'd imagine if you've checked your Spam folder and nothing is coming through, though, that there must either be a browser issue (blocked cookies, or something like that), or something on their side. Can you try with a different browser? Also make sure you are logging in with your account name and not your nickname.

Assuming you've done all the above already, maybe it's just server lag, which seems to have happened before.

Edit: Oops, looks like you solved it lol

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm unfamiliar with Steam, so I have a number of questions about how it will work for UO if UO is added to Steam:

• If you pay to set up a new UO account through Steam, when you begin the download process will you be able to specify which client you want to download, i.e., either Enhanced Client or Classic Client?
  • Assuming you get a choice of client to download, what if you later decide you want to use the other client. Will you be able to do so through Steam without having to make an additional purchase of UO? (In other words, will Valve understand that the two clients are interchangeable on one account?)
  • If you downloaded the client from the UO website but purchased your account through Valve, will you be able to play with the client files you downloaded from the UO website?
  • Will you be able to own more than one UO account through your Steam account? If yes, will you be able to log onto both of them simultaneously through Steam so you can transfer items, pets, houses, etc. between the two accounts?
  • Will all future purchases of new UO accounts have to be made through Steam or will we be able to continue setting them up through the Mythic account management website as we currently do? Will we set them up under a Mythic master account?
  • If you want to order an upgrade to your Steam-controlled UO account, will you make the purchase through the Origin store or through Steam, will you get an e-mail message with the code, and where will you apply the upgrade count to your UO account? How would it work for entering a code in-game for things like tokens, soulstones, garden beds, etc.?
  • If you end up with an old UO account that isn't controlled through your Steam account and a newer account that is controlled through your Steam account, can you log onto them simultaneously? Will there be any patching problems for your non-Steam UO account if your Steam UO account has already been patched for new content, or vice versa?
  • If you play on your Steam UO account, do you log into Steam first and then continue to log into UO as usual, so there is a 2-step login process? If your game crashes, do you have to repeat the 2-step login process (i.e., log in to Steam and then log in to UO)?
  • Will people who pay for a new UO account through Steam and use the Classic Client be able to also use UO Assist? Will other UO Pro add-ons (I think that's what the approved add-ons are called) that run with UO work on a Steam-controlled UO account?
I doubt anyone who is around tonight will know the answers to most of these questions, but maybe Mesanna will be able to answer some of our questions about this and help alleviate any concerns people might have about what this means. I'm not sure everyone will be keen on having to purchase/run their new UO account through Steam so it would be good to hear whether or not this means all future purchases of UO accounts will be made through Steam or it will just be an option for people who are comfortable doing things that way. And it would be great to clarify how they see things working for those accounts once they are up and running so we'll be able to envision what actually sitting down to play on our ancient UO accounts with a friend or relative who made their purchase through Steam will look/feel like, especially for those of us that have never used Steam before. I think many of us are used to using other tools like ICQ and Ventrillo when we play UO and it sounds like Steam offers features that would tend to replace or overlay those tools. We all know how intimidating it can be for a newcomer to UO to get started, especially if we're trying to "hold their hand" remotely. So any information we can get about how the whole situation might look different because of Steam would be helpful for any of us who are scheming to get family and friends to play UO for the first time or try to talk them into coming back!

I hope this makes sense. I'm not trying to be negative, just trying to understand what this really means.

Flagg

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
^
Luckily it doesn't take Mesanna to answer some of those; average Steam user is enough.

If you use UO via Steam, it will be a two step log in process. You can set Steam up in fashion where it automatically logs in every time you boot it. If UO crashes, Steam propably won't. Steam itself is quite stable. I don't remember last time it would have crashed or done something weird on me.

Steam offers a very nice chat(or voice chat if you like) with any other Steam user. Some group chat functions are supported, unsure how many people it can take in at once though. I've only ever been in Steam voice chat with 3 people at once. No need to use it if you don't like it. In no way does Steam prevent one from using Vent, ICQ, Skype or whatever else you are used to using.

I'm sure it won't cost anything to download either of the clients via Steam. It would be very odd if Steam user had to pay for a client while one using the original site can get either of the two clients for free.

I'm guessing Steam will offer a free trial(=clients).
Those feeling like they wanna pay up get Clients+1 month of gametime for the typical monthly fee. Maybe some nice fashionable Digital Thalium Deluxe Edition for 50 bucks. With..say, Clients, 3 months of gametime and some random items.

When it comes to making and managing an active subscription, I'm sure no account is going to be "controlled through Steam", as far as payment options go. They run " item shops" for some games but they will not do account managment on behalf of anyone. With this in mind, it is hard to imagine how you'd buy gametime or a running sub via Steam. Maybe they sell gametime codes you then activate in Uo.com. ...Unsure if they've ever done things this way.

It would be a massive step for the better if UO's item shop, gamecodes etc moved to Steam though.

Speaking of accounts, I really hope some massive revamp of Account Managment is going to be ready by the time this lands.

What happens to UO:Assist is a very good question. Generally speaking, all kinds of mods, additional overlay programs, add-ons etc etc for any given game works just fine in Steam. Wether or not UO:Assist woul require some updating to remain functional is a very good question though. It is propably one that should be asked from guy maintaining UOA.

I wonder if Steam Overlay would offer some additional security against exploits. Propably not.

Last edited:

Kojak

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
as long as nothing changes with the way I sign up and play right now, I don't care how bad they screw the Steam people - hehe

Warpig Inc

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Because you could put a post "the sky is blue" on stratics and people would argue about it just for the sake of arguing. and because people playing a 20 year old video game are a bit slow to embrace new things lol.

The world is flat. I'll do the Curly Shuffle while you take a long walk. Yes Mary Jane there is a "Opinionated point of view."

DungHook

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
I tried to vote for UO. However I see I need to start an account on Steam. What is steam?

I only play UO. I don't have even the slightest interest in shroud of the whatever or any other copy of the original, UO.

Then I notice a green button atop that say's Download Steam. I need not only register and give away my information to them but download who knows what onto my laptop. For the sole purpose of casting one vote for UO.

I would be happy to vote for UO. But all that other junk. NO thank you.

Aran

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I tried to vote for UO. However I see I need to start an account on Steam. What is steam?

I only play UO. I don't have even the slightest interest in shroud of the whatever or any other copy of the original, UO.

Then I notice a green button atop that say's Download Steam. I need not only register and give away my information to them but download who knows what onto my laptop. For the sole purpose of casting one vote for UO.

I would be happy to vote for UO. But all that other junk. NO thank you.
So what's it like in 1996? I haven't been there in a while.

Lefty

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wow! Someone actually did a bit of marketing for UO and did a bang up job! Now just need to team up with 3rd party business's and give rewards out for game time through Raptr.com

Kayne.

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This is like listening to my grandparents complain they don't know how to use email.

Steam has been around for a while...

Steam isn't in any way shape or form going to affect how you play UO. It's just another place it can be marketed and sold.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This is the 'shelf presence' people have asked for for UO. It may not be the kind of 'shelf presence' some of us older ones understand, but it is appropriate to the current market.
I admit I don't do Steam, I'm not a 'gamer', I'm only a UO player. I have no interest in buying games from Steam - but I know people who do. So while I may not, myself, be able to vote it up on Steam, I can put the word out to people who may be willing and able to.
Instead of finding fault, give thanks! UO is being marketed.

Last edited:

cazador

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It wouldn't matter if they had a voting system in place where for every vote 1000 one month codes go out to gamers homes, to get some new players ..this community would still find a way to complain about it..I voted from my phone, was quite simple actually..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Flagg

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This is the 'shelf presence' people have asked for for UO. It may not be the kind of 'shelf presence' some of us older ones understand, but it is appropriate to the current market.
I think it worth underlining this isn't even presence on " a shelf" as much as a presence on THE shelf. If you are PC game who wants to get sold, seen or talked about, Steam is the best place for you to be.

Leather Lucy

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thank you.
I think I was having the same problem as you. Don't follow the link from here if you're already logged into Steam, go to the bottom of the page on Steam Store and you should be able to get to the Greenlight bit from there, just type in Ultima. Only way that would work for me :).

Spiritless

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I voted.

Having it on Steam is vastly better than having it in the bargain bin in actual stores. For those who don't understand Steam, this isn't marketed at you. All you need to understand is that Steam is a really, really popular game store/distribution method that will at least gain UO some presence.

I'm doubtful as to whether it'll have a significant impact as people will rightfully be wary of the monthly subscription model that UO insists on continuing with but at least it stands a chance of attracting some new people.

Some interesting things that could be explored:
  • Distributing Steam keys to current subscribers so we can link UO to our Steam accounts should we choose to do so.
  • Achievements via Steam could be rather interesting!

Ashlynn_L

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
About damn time. Why this never happened years ago is beyond me.

*edit* by the way, because your web browser and the internal steam browser are separate, it'll ask you to log in if you try to go via chrome/firefox/whatever. If you already have an account and are logged in to steam just go via the "greenlight" option under the Community tab. You'll find UO there somewhere.

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
... I did not see this one coming.

Of course, I voted. This' a darn great move by Broadsword Games. :D

Kas Althume

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I voted. Maybe I can spend some cash on UO again. I had given up on the origin store which doesn't allow me to buy stuff any more. What I will not do is ever install the origin client. The day they force me to install that client to play UO I am done with UO. I like steam.

Promathia

Social Distancing Since '97
Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
That's not true...Sims 3, for example, is offered both through Steam and Origin, as is Dragon Age. And sometimes they have good sales on Steam, as well. But usually they have better incentives at Origin, like a free copy of Dead Space.
Those games came out before the Origin client. Do you see any new games from EA on steam? Titanfall, Dragon Age 2, Battlefield 4, Mass Effect 3 , new sim city, Sims 4 ect are all Origin only.

Noone thought UO should be on steam prior to 2011, and even then I doubt the people in charge of the game would have ever allowed it.

G.v.P

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I would be lying if I said I wasn't tempted to get that game :p
From what I read of the reviews, it seems to be a very small game world for the $9.99 admission ;P...and also very buggy.

I don't know if this game would still run on modern machines, and I'm going to have to track it down, but "Capture the Dude," by DigiPen, would get my vote for Steam, as well. Dated game, but a lot of fun for anyone who would be into a non-buggy game where your goal is destruction (of sorts)

ah...but use at your own risk ;D
http://www.freegame.cz/download-game/game/11596
http://www.freegame.cz/play/download/game/capture_the_dude.zip

game was made in the early 2000s...

modern free games:
http://games.digipen.edu/browse?page=1

Last edited:

Flagg

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
^ Kas Valentine?
You helped me kill sheep or cows once. Forgot which!

Thrakkar

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Excellent choice with steam greenlite. Of course UO got my vote!

Believe me I know a lot of our present players are "old school" and opposed to change. This event will not change your UO lifestyle at all. What it's doing is givng Ultima Online
a virtual "shelf presence".
Like I said in another thread UO will die with us unless we get some fresh faces and some young blood. We don't want to become "the game that old people play" or "a game for your grandma".
Steam was a great move by Broadsword and further proof that they want their investment to grow.
Let's try to find some lively energy and push forward with a positive focus.
Shelf presence is badly needed, virtual or not. But this also means that UO will move into the eyes of open public again. Which further means, Broadsword has to deliver! While most of use will agree, that UO offers a broad and rich gameplay experience, we also have to agree, that lots of things are not on par with todays standards, usability in general is somewhat outdated in several aspects of the game. This is definitely something, where BS has to work on, so people who are checking out UO for the first time, don't give a bad reputation to the game. And the steam community is huge, about 7 million users. Also you can be sure, that now several journalists will pick up the UO topic again and we get some PR. With that in mind, the whole thing could backfire badly, if not pulled off correctly.
Bt so far I trust in BS. They're a bunch of dedicated people and they only want the best for UO. So let's keep out fingers crossed.

• Assuming you get a choice of client to download, what if you later decide you want to use the other client. Will you be able to do so through Steam without having to make an additional purchase of UO? (In other words, will Valve understand that the two clients are interchangeable on one account?)
From the steam site:
"No, there is no cost to download the client. There is however a monthly subscription cost."
In short, you don't pay for downloading the client...

• If you play on your Steam UO account, do you log into Steam first and then continue to log into UO as usual, so there is a 2-step login process? If your game crashes, do you have to repeat the 2-step login process (i.e., log in to Steam and then log in to UO)?
The steam client is a separate application. Any game does not run "in this client", it is merely started by it. So if the game crashes, steam isn't affected in any way and will continue to run.

Lug

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Page one of Steams Greenlight Projects (30 projects displayed):

787 comments 14 APR 2014 Survival Island Adventures
287 comments 17 APR 2014 KartSim
242 comments 16 APR 2014 UO
208 comments 16 APR 2014 DAOC

UO is third. Come on people VOTE!

Last edited:

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
I think they have been thinking this out for a while and have a definite plan! for example pinco is now working to incorporate new features into the "New Ui" I dont think this is just a coincidence I believe if they had this panned to go to steam they wanted the steam users to be able to have full advantage of the UI without needing to go to another site!

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards

787 comments Survival Island Adventures
287 comments KartSim
242 comments UO
208 comments DAOC

just wondering can you tell how long each of these has been on Greenlight?

Lug

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Click on each title and go to the last page of comments. The first post gives a good idea when it was added to Greenlight.

787 comments 14 APR 2014 Survival Island Adventures
287 comments 17 APR 2014 KartSim
242 comments 16 APR 2014 UO
208 comments 16 APR 2014 DAOC

Last edited:

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There are, at least, two reasons why some of us are apprehensive about this.

One reason is rational, one reason is irrational. And they are two sides of the same coin. I will start with the irrational one.

The irrational one is that we're a bunch of paranoiacs who get jittery about anything, are inclined to believe outlandish negative things, and are inclined to disbelieve credible positive things. Some of us are like this all the time and some of us are like this only when group think takes over but either way the result's the same.

The rational one, and as stated it's the other side of the coin, is that we've learned that too many things have a negative side that we're not necessarily informed of. One recent example is the vendor search. General enthusiasm followed by crushing disappointment.

I, for what it's worth, am encouraged by the way most of us who've actually experienced Steam tend to support the idea and are not worried about downside. That'll have to be good enough for me.

So with that in mind I shall cross my fingers and hope it happens for us...And shall add my voice to those who are saying that it should be on the login screen. Indeed this is the very kind of thing that needs to be on the login screen.

Why is that? Because not all UO players check Stratics but by definition all of them in log in or they would not be UO players at all.

-Galen's player

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
I think we can all spread this by word of mouth in game also! As a example I logged in today and saw a group of old friends at the brit bank and they asked me whats been going on anything new etc and I brought up the steam subject and non of them had even heard about it or steam for that matter I then gave them links and told them to check it out or to come here and we had links to it along with the uo.com site...so yes spread the word anyway you can for now!

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think my time in UO is probably over, but I voted for this, because it's clearly good for the game, hope the bizarre anti steam crowd eventually realize that this would probably be one of best things to happen to UO in like 10 years.

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think my time in UO is probably over, but I voted for this, because it's clearly good for the game, hope the bizarre anti steam crowd eventually realize that this would probably be one of best things to happen to UO in like 10 years.
I was anti-steam in the beginning mainly because it was different and new, whereas I was already happy with how games were. But when I actually used it, I quickly learned how awesome it is. I often forget the thing is even open.

G.v.P

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Here are some examples of how other MMOs did it, as suggested by what some posters said earlier in thread:

EVE (MONTHLY)
http://store.steampowered.com/app/8500/
$19.95
Steam Super Starter Pack includes:

Magnate, Probe, Heron and Imicus exploration frigates
A scanner probe launcher and analyzer modules to help you find riches among the stars
Basic frigate equipment and weaponry sets to kit out your ships
Archaeology, Hacking and a dozen other critical skillbooks
Prototype Cerebral Accelerator (skill booster)
30 days of game time

RIFT (F2P)
http://store.steampowered.com/app/39120/
$99.99 (highest tier)
Includes:

8500 Credits
60-Day Patron Pass
Tartagon Mount
Spindrel Mount
Cyclone Mount
Armored White Tiger Mount
Ghost, the White Hellbug Mount
Bogling Wastrel Companion Pet
Mini-Regulos Companion Pet
24-Slot Bag
Personal Banker
Portable Teleporter
Faction Tabards
Votan Fragger Weapon Transmog

Dol'Gorath

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't know how many years I've been saying the same thing but this proves that the UO crowd for the most part is so resistant to change, either in game or out of game that even posting it on steam raises hissy fits, even if it is good for the game.. Christ people, PC games aren't sold in boxes anymore, period. Console games will soon meet this fate as well. People have been whining for UO to have a shelf presence again for years. Well, this is it.

Dol'Gorath

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I was anti-steam in the beginning mainly because it was different and new, whereas I was already happy with how games were. But when I actually used it, I quickly learned how awesome it is. I often forget the thing is even open.
I'm not gonna lie, I miss boxed games. But Steam has replaced all that and it is awesome to be able to buy a game anytime I want and download it instantly without waiting for the post office or ups/fed ex to bring it in a few days, and at any time of the day. Even better, steam auto-patches all your games, no needing to search online for patches. Steam-hosted multiplayer so you don't have to look elsewhere to play online, and achievements!

Zerbee

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Having used Steam for several years now, I'm glad to see UO is going to embrace the library of Steam games.
Unfortunately I don't think it'll do much.

If you go through the "Discussions" section of UO on Steam and the Comments section, you'll see the general response is UO should revert back to its T2A days and how "aged" the game is. Seems like the general response is negative towards the current state of UO.

Also like others have said, the subscription cost of this game combined with the learning curve and time investment needed will turn off a lot of potential new customers. There is a reason why games like Call of Duty, WoW, etc have sprung to overwhelming popularity, and that reason is it is casual-orientated . Hell, if it wasn't for my previous years of investment in my UO characters I certainly would not still be playing this game if I had to start over from scratch, it just takes way too much time.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Having used Steam for several years now, I'm glad to see UO is going to embrace the library of Steam games.
Unfortunately I don't think it'll do much.

If you go through the "Discussions" section of UO on Steam and the Comments section, you'll see the general response is UO should revert back to its T2A days and how "aged" the game is. Seems like the general response is negative towards the current state of UO.
I too was somewhat dismayed by the number of negative comments, but they go along with the usual spate of freeshard recruitment posts that used to appear on the UO facebook page - now diligently removed by the new person in charge of the page.
Most of the negative comments are recruiting for freeshards.
Maybe they're afraid that if UO succeeds on Steam their freeshards will be threatened?
Some of the others haven't even looked at the game in recent years. Some didn't even realise it still existed.
It is to be hoped that the postive comments by current players will convince some of those negative posters to re-consider and have another look at our game.

Status
Not open for further replies.