• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

NEWS [UO.Com] Developer Interview

UO News

RSS Feed
RSS Feed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Community News
2013 Mar 26 14:55 GMT
UOForums.com recently posted an interview with Ultima Online’s lead artist James “Onifrk” Crawly. There are many great questions about the art process for UO and insights into how he came to be a member of the Ultima Online team. Head over to UOForums.com and check it out.

Continue reading...

KLOMP

Sage
Stratics Veteran
So what do these art guys... like... do, anyway? This game has gotten like four new sprites in the last three years.

Warsong of LS

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
lead artist? though we were down to just one? would that not make him the lead artist by default? would not really call that an interview, more like let me introduce myself. meh at least someone is talking

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Another DEV that doesn't play UO and is in charge of the Art Department, strange.

Last edited:

G.v.P

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Another DEV that doesn't play UO and is in charge of the Art Department, strange.
Ha. But hey, if the dude plays XCOM: Enemy Unknown, he's okay in my book. PS--not sure why the title is written as "X-COM," but if that was Onifrk's mistake I like him even more. Anyone who played the original X-COM gets some additional points.

I was working in the QA department at a company called Microprose.
Well, there's my answer. +1

I try hard but even my cute drawings then to come out a little creepy.

Explains the Goose head explosion.

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sorry I am Bias to this guy..... I want Grim back...
I want someone who has worked in UO and knows all our quirks....
All we need is this yahoo to muff the game up.
He dont even play UO.... how the he can he understand what is needed if he hasnt steped inthe game to even see what players are talking about???

Zosimus

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hopefully some will understand now the limitations to the art work now ....

With UO the challenge is much greater as you have a limited angle and amount of data you can put on a screen to bring the object to life

I dont see an issue on what games he plays for the oens that has the issue. Because he works on UO he shouldn't be forced to play it. I am pretty sure he can get into the game and check out his art work at Mythic before they release it. His choice of games what he likes has no bearing on his abilties to do the art work in UO. He definetly has the qualifications for the job and the experience.

Last edited:

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
And your point being that Grim was not as talented or didnt make us nice art??
Granted the man does good work... from the sample shown by Petra he does have a nice hand...
I will say it again... i still wish we had Grim... this new guy could make a good henchman for him.....

Zosimus

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Lady Storm

There is and was no disrespect to Grimm. He is a talented and a great developer. There are plenty of devs that I like that no longer work on UO. Dracono and Wilki just to name a few. Cant bash the devs that took their place because I like the other devs that were before them. May as well admit I miss Cal. At least he communicated and showed more enthusiasim in my opinion even though I disagreed with some of his posts.

@Onifrk

Welcome to the team and wish you the best on the developement of the future projects of the art in UO.

Gospel

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sorry I am Bias to this guy..... I want Grim back...
I want someone who has worked in UO and knows all our quirks....
All we need is this yahoo to muff the game up.
He dont even play UO.... how the he can he understand what is needed if he hasnt steped inthe game to even see what players are talking about???
The guy doesn't need to know everything about the game to make art for it. You're being illogical again. He's not Grimm, so what? He does nice work and good art is welcome here, so stop finding things to complain about.

To the new lead, your art is some of my favorite in game, and I personally couldn't be more thrilled and thankful for the interview. Can't wait to see what you have in store for us.

Also, X-COM!?!? I think I'm in love! I still play the crap out of that game haha!

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I know Zosimus... I miss alot of them... But my point was I want Grim back not bash the new kid on the block... It was dirty pool on EA's part.
Art in uo has been geting better with time... new programs and all. Gospel when some one paints a picture of a historic place it would be nice if they at the very least went to look at the view they are about to capture... same with the art for UO. EC and CC aside.... you wouldnt put a gun in UO but what if no one told him we didnt have guns...and he made one..... nice art and a big waste of his time on the clock... do you get my drift..?
All I ask is he walk a mile in a players moccasins... see what we got, what we need, what needs his fingers dipped in.... As and example: i bet if he had to dig out 3 pieces of tiny black rock in his full bag he would sit down and fix the color in the inside of pouches! soo see there is a need for him to look in the game.... it that too much to ask? Whats an hour running around uo... i bet Mesanna would give him a token to upgrade his character and make something to really go out an look...