• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

NEWS [UO.Com] Character Transfer Downtime

UO News

RSS Feed
RSS Feed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
From the Devs
2013 Mar 20 17:34 GMT
Greetings everyone,

As I am sure most of you know we have been working on upgrading our outdated hardware and moving to the Cloud. The next step in the process is to move the data base for Character Transfers. This is an advanced notice that Character Transfers will be turned off Friday morning 3/22/2013 for an extended time. We need to ensure all current transfers have been completed before we start this move so please do your transfers now or they will be in limbo till this move is completed. When we are able to turn them back on we will let you guys know.

Bonnie "Mesanna" Armstrong
Producer UO

Continue reading...

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Just curious if this is expected to be a days or weeks or months downtime... Has a vision of My UO being temporarily unavailable...

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well....................
If history is any indacation of time of it being gone.... plan on at least 3 to 5 working days =2 weeks. But give them a pinch of hope there that its a smooth move and only a few days. Months would be harsh but we have been here before transfers were invented.. we can live with it for a while.

Winker

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
yeah nice one, just cause i bought a bunch of half price xfer tokens inteh EA half price sale, now i cant uses them....lol

Last edited:

Orgional Farimir

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sorry guys it is my fault. I had a character ready to xfer so they took it down. Just like I had a dexer ready except for his armor so they announced armor changes that same day.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's not Friday yet. If your character is ready to go, nothing is stopping him. :D

Orgional Farimir

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's not Friday yet. If your character is ready to go, nothing is stopping him. :D
Because of my work/family schedule I am only able to log on during the weekends. It is a lot easier to get on Stratics at work than it is UO.

Oh well no big deal. I am sure sometime in the future I will be able to xfer the character.

cdavbar

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Can we fix the lag issues with normal game-play servers in the "cloud" before we move more stuff there?

AnthonyGenX

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
How about when they post these messages they also pos an ETA for up-time or at least status update once a friggin day, click link edit post update... really tough...

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I understand where most of you are coming from ... but you know the dev.... they work in "the cloud"... so they have to be vague.
I sometimes wonder if they do it to their familys and friends outside of work..... being vague.
Gives when your mom use to say "maybe " a whole new meaning...

AnthonyGenX

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Soon can be a day, a month, a year, 2 years..isn't that how the Devs work?

Edit: Insert sarcasm wherever..
well ive been playing long enough to know that but regardless some form of timeframe should be expected from these lacklster "devs" developers who have enough foresight to say it will be downfriday morning on tuesday should be able to estimate after friday morning comes an approximate up time be it days months years at least then i dont have to keep checking this damn forum and if its sooner im pleasantly surrprised and if its slightly longer im mildly aggrivated, if they post another day then i know i can get other stuff done in the meantime what a bunch of hacks. were transfering at "x" mb/s and we have "z" mb to move so the minimum time possible is already known.... the maximum comes in the y variable the "we messed up and now its taking longer to get the code on the tokens to go to the right place"

S_S

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The original post states "extended" time. It also states that when they become available, they will let us know. Nothing further is required of them at this point.

allie_oops

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
With experience in server migration, on presumably larger data sets than the Ultima Online Character Transfer Server , I can say this should be completed Monday-Thursday if they took it down Friday but didn't start work on it until Monday. With them giving advance notice you'd assume the EC2 environment was prepared for this, as Anthony mentioned.

The "cloud" is just used when companies don't understand, or don't want to express what's really going on. Transfers I'm sure make a large part of EA's income off of this game, so I'd assume they would want to get them up asap.

With that said, the lack of communication should be looked at as a disservice, since it's very easy for someone to update a post. Not address the community , but simply update their post.

This is a small team, and I think they would be better served to work with the community then FOR the community. Due to inconsistencies in skill sets, and just an overall lack of organizational initiative.

Best

S_S

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Are players really this addicted to char transfer that they cannot wait at least 1 full week when the word extended is used before complaints?

hen

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Are players really this addicted to char transfer that they cannot wait at least 1 full week when the word extended is used before complaints?
They are addicted to making in-game and rl shinies. This is the main use of character transfer.

S_S

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I do not care how long it takes or how often they update us. I only hope it is done right. I remember the horror of the past char transfer duping. I guess I have some patience.

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
This is a small team, and I think they would be better served to work with the community then FOR the community. Due to inconsistencies in skill sets, and just an overall lack of organizational initiative.

Best

AnthonyGenX

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
With experience in server migration, on presumably larger data sets than the Ultima Online Character Transfer Server , I can say this should be completed Monday-Thursday if they took it down Friday but didn't start work on it until Monday. With them giving advance notice you'd assume the EC2 environment was prepared for this, as Anthony mentioned.

The "cloud" is just used when companies don't understand, or don't want to express what's really going on. Transfers I'm sure make a large part of EA's income off of this game, so I'd assume they would want to get them up asap.

With that said, the lack of communication should be looked at as a disservice, since it's very easy for someone to update a post. Not address the community , but simply update their post.

Best
agreed

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think if I were doing this, I'd do it the same way tbh. I'd rather not make promises at all than make promises I'm not sure I can keep.
Mesanna said:
When we are able to turn them back on we will let you guys know.
This promise I believe she will keep.
Sarcastic comments and nagging won't make the process go any quicker. Nor will it fix any problems that might cause hold ups.

AnthonyGenX

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
I think if I were doing this, I'd do it the same way tbh. I'd rather not make promises at all than make promises I'm not sure I can keep.
Mesanna said:

This promise I believe she will keep.
Sarcastic comments and nagging won't make the process go any quicker. Nor will it fix any problems that might cause hold ups.
I didnt ask to have a promise, simply an Update status of the pocess intelligent guess as to when it may be complete ESTIMATE not a hard written in stone promise if i knew how far along they were say half way 75% whatever i could make my own estimate but just simply leaving with no informatio is beyond annoying

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Why? What's so vital that you can't employ a little patience? It's a game. It's not life threatening, it's not anyone's livelyhood except theirs - or shouldn't be. It doesn't even prevent anyone from playing the game. They're moving a large database and warned there would be extended down time. They will tell us when it's finished.

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I didnt ask to have a promise, simply an Update status of the pocess intelligent guess as to when it may be complete ESTIMATE not a hard written in stone promise if i knew how far along they were say half way 75% whatever i could make my own estimate but just simply leaving with no informatio is beyond annoying
Estimates on something like this may not be as easy to provide as you may think and may be no different than gambling. Say they were to provide an estimate of when it would be complete; the estimated time passes and yet there is no change. The result would be a ton of people complaining that Mesanna lied.

It is often better to provide no estimate than to gamble with one unless they know that it can be set in stone.

Last edited:

AnthonyGenX

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Why? What's so vital that you can't employ a little patience? It's a game. It's not life threatening, it's not anyone's livelyhood except theirs - or shouldn't be. It doesn't even prevent anyone from playing the game. They're moving a large database and warned there would be extended down time. They will tell us when it's finished.
I have been waiting patiently, You defend these people for no reason, it is even easier to just update people or try and approximate a deadline. That would be the much easier task. Take your opinion away as it has no matter here. You dont care so go away... simple? if you dont care then dont post i want update do you hear me clammoring for the service to be re-instated right now? no i want a friggin update so that i might plan what i want to do with my characters an how long i might have before i can make adjustments information shouldnt be horded. So anyone else with a simple view on what i've said please just g away. Im not outraging that it has been taken down im simply asking for an update AN UPDATE as in what the hell is going on because I am waiting for it you may not be waiting which means your opinion does not even matter a little as it has no baring on what you are donig now does it? please go away

AnthonyGenX

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Estimates on something like this may not be as easy to provide as you may think and may be no different than gambling. Say they were to provide an estimate of when it would be complete; the estimated time passes and yet there is no change. The result would be a ton of people complaining that Mesanna lied.

It is often better to provide no estimate than to gamble with one unless they know that it can be set in stone.
when giving an estimate you strictly imply and inform that it is simply an estimate and if circumstances change AN UPDATE is provided Gee pretty simple idea information... this isnt snail mail or even email this is an instant gratification world and instantly things are posted and received by the masses

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
when giving an estimate you strictly imply and inform that it is simply an estimate and if circumstances change AN UPDATE is provided Gee pretty simple idea information... this isnt snail mail or even email this is an instant gratification world and instantly things are posted and received by the masses
You must be new to the world of forums if you think that is exactly how everyone will interpret an estimate :p

Last edited:

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Like it or not, character transfers are a big part of UO. Significant enough in fact that people pay real money on top of a monthly subscription fee to use. Use of an open ended statement like they have done is insulting and, IMO, shows a level of incompetance. Any team worth it's salt should have a plan and a rough timeline well before a move like this gets underway. If they began this process without a plan they should be replaced, period. If they have a plan and are just too afraid or lazy to share it, that speaks volumes as well.

What they should have said is... We are moving the service to the cloud. We will be turning off the service on Friday and expect that the move will take approximatley X amount of time to complete. If we encounter any issues that appear likely to change that expectation we will provide an update.

Then they should do it! Most of us in the real world understand the deadlines we have for our work, and we know if we are running behind schedule. Do unexpected issues arise, sure they do. And when they do we provide an update... Hey we hit a snag that is going to require some extra time to resolve. It isn't hard.

When you take down a service that a customer paid you for, the least you should do is keep them informed.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thats what im trying to figure out but over half the people responding dont have a clue what an update is or an estimate is apparently. they think by asking for an update it mean we are demanding it be finishe now or that we are complaining because the service is down however we just want some information regarding estimated time service might be restored and if there is any changes further updates to be provided. you would think on a computer game some people would have a slight bit of intelligence but i guess they are mostly plug and play users who dont have the slightest idea of how or why anything works just take for granted that it does
Nope. We're just more realistic about what we expect from our small team of developers. They've said they'll tell us when it's going to be back. They have more pressing things occupying their time than posting frequent updates for impatient players.
Time spent posting = less time working on things. When they have something to tell us, they'll tell us. When there is nothing useful to report, why waste time saying so?

AnthonyGenX

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Like it or not, character transfers are a big part of UO. Significant enough in fact that people pay real money on top of a monthly subscription fee to use. Use of an open ended statement like they have done is insulting and, IMO, shows a level of incompetance. Any team worth it's salt should have a plan and a rough timeline well before a move like this gets underway. If they began this process without a plan they should be replaced, period. If they have a plan and are just too afraid or lazy to share it, that speaks volumes as well.

What they should have said is... We are moving the service to the cloud. We will be turning off the service on Friday and expect that the move will take approximatley X amount of time to complete. If we encounter any issues that appear likely to change that expectation we will provide an update.

Then they should do it! Most of us in the real world understand the deadlines we have for our work, and we know if we are running behind schedule. Do unexpected issues arise, sure they do. And when they do we provide an update... Hey we hit a snag that is going to require some extra time to resolve. It isn't hard.

When you take down a service that a customer paid you for, the least you should do is keep them informed.
agree!

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You obviously have no prior experience with the developers posting 'estimates' of when updates will be completed. The developers, however, have. They would rather not suffer any more flames and abuse for 'not delivering on time'.
They get enough undeserved flames and abuse already.

AnthonyGenX

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
If your little sister beat you over the head from the time u were 2 to 18 would it still be acceptable when you ar 40 for her to continue? just because something has happened consistantly in the past doesnt mean its ok or right

allie_oops

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
I don't think it's as severe to warrant a few of the analogies provided by Anthony, but his logic is sound.

Obviously, the Developers are not paid for customer relations, they wear many hats; too many for a billion dollar company. But the one guy is specifically paid for customer relations, Tim Chappell.

I think the process should have been ETA'd before being undertaken, and the developers should update their community relations person with time frames. 1 email in the morning, and 1 at the end of the shift to say "okay this is where we're at" Redundant? yes, Overkill? probably. Warranted to keep your subscriber drove calm and informed? Absolutely.

Please don't beleive that moving databases takes days, the size of this information must be large, but it's not LARGE, and furthermore with all of the variables, it's still not A LOT of variables. It's just not as large of a project as this appears to be made out to be. They are very understaffed though, so maybe this is 1 person doing this, who knows.

I just wish I understood the disconnect. Communication is a very important aspect of mob control. Push your message, through the channels most appropriate, and best received.

They're good people [our dev team] , but there should be improvements made, this is still not a trivial amount of money, and a reliable customer base to work with.

Best

T

Tazar

Many posts (and subsequent replies) have been removed for attacks and inappropriate language. If it continues - action will be taken against the member(s) initiating the attacks, etc and/or the thread will be locked.

As to giving a time-frame - history has shown that the Dev's will be persecuted regardless... Damned if you do... Damned if you don't.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mandrake of DF

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Agreed, is also what I asked about. We talking hrs, days or weeks? To move a viritual server to a cloud is a critical operation, but - its my work to do such things, and when I talk to my customers for that - its for hrs, not weeks.

So, unless they got lesser expectations of delivery in the US - I would expect it up again very soon, or any notice when we should expect it up.

This is a paid service they are selling for real money, so they have to deliver - or tell when they can deliver it. *Just my five cents*