• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

NEWS [UO.Com] Ask & Answer No. 10

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The *evil grin* part of the quote was made in jest and was more of a joke related to the fact that often times many things pay homage to the Star Wars reference that many of us are fond of. If you took it as offensive I deeply apologize.
Sadly it was so annoying because it fits the EC so well. Like the Dark Side of the Force it gives more basic raw power with it's features, but doesn't mesh well with the rest of the world of UO. Hopefully one day someone will decide to just combine the best of both clients. Probably falls into the pipe-dream category, but we can hope. :bowdown:

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
ThatGuardtowerView.JPG

Here is that pic from a few posts back using the Classic client. The CC just shows a black area without the flashing tiles effect. Much less objectionable.

T

Tazar

I get an even worse effect in one of my houses... the world behind the house becomes a black void without even the stars of Malas in it. The area looks great in the Enhanced Client - but in the Classic Client - it looks like you are at the edge of the world about to fall off...

Thrakkar

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have to disagree about the "House of Cards" thing Tanivar.

I have worked on old, rewritten, patched software many times. Guess how much stuff gets tweaked along the way and never gets documented anywhere cause it's "just a small tweak".

I wouldn't touch the CC client with a ten foot pole. I'm totally in awe of the guys that still mess with it.
Exactly. If you want to beef up that old code, chances are very good, you have to completely rewrite it from scratch.

Now let us guess, why they wrote the EC...

No I can't. I've played using the 'dark side', it's not a good UI, I've un-nstalled it from my gaming machine since it's not an acceptable alternative to the 'light side'.
Why?
It's customizable.
It has better macros.
It has a bigger game area.
It has zoom.
Did I mention that it is customizable?
There's PincosUI, which is awesome.
Ah, and the best thing at the end: It's customizable!

I would find it totally acceptable if all I lost was that percentage of a larger game window.
I know no software developer, who would release a deliberately buggy code or deliberately ugly graphics. Sure, you would still be able to play, but since such things are viewed by the open public, one could earn a bad reputation. Why should the Dev team want this?

Last edited:

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I know no software developer, who would release a deliberately buggy code or deliberately ugly graphics. Sure, you would still be able to play, but since such things are viewed by the open public, one could earn a bad reputation. Why should the Dev team want this?
<Thinks of High Seas, the EC, and the huge bug list which the dev team claims to be working on, 12 years of expansions and publishes... and begins to laugh at Thrakkar>

Hahahahahahhh <gasp> hahahahahhahahahahahahahahahah<falls out of his chair clutching his stomach> hahahahahahahah!!!!!!

Thrakkar

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<Thinks of High Seas, the EC, and the huge bug list which the dev team claims to be working on, 12 years of expansions and publishes... and begins to laugh at Thrakkar>

Hahahahahahhh <gasp> hahahahahhahahahahahahahahahah<falls out of his chair clutching his stomach> hahahahahahahah!!!!!!
Bugs get published all the time. Either ones, which haven't been found or aren't rated as critical.
And still you payed them for years. But rest assured, I won't laugh at you.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I know no software developer, who would release a deliberately ugly graphics.
This is the one I thought was funny because your list
It's customizable.
It has better macros.
It has a bigger game area.
It has zoom.
Did I mention that it is customizable?
There's PincosUI, which is awesome.
Ah, and the best thing at the end: It's customizable!
never mentions graphics and yet this is the one thing mentioned most about the EC. GRAPHICS BAD

KLOMP

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Mesanna: The gypsy camps were causing some side issues in the game so Phoenix added the chance for the moon jewelry to drop on the Cook in Wrong.
The gypsy camps only started causing problems when you added tents to them for no reason. Please give us back the gypsy spawns that were in the game from 1997 to until you changed them.

Also you made paladin NPCs extinct a while back for no reason I am aware of.

Last edited:

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Bugs get published all the time. Either ones, which haven't been found or aren't rated as critical.
And still you payed them for years. But rest assured, I won't laugh at you.
That comment of yours was so far over the hedge from reality, what other reaction could you seriously expect.

Thrakkar

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That comment of yours was so far over the hedge from reality, what other reaction could you seriously expect.
Was it? The key word is deliberately. No software is bugfree. And there are a lot's of bugs, which are not found during QA, during beta nor even during public TC-phase. And I honestly think that the UO dev & QA team doesn't have the same manpower like a some other MMO devs & QAs. And since I don't count ordinary players spending their time on TC towards professional testers. Taking these two things into account, it's quite understandable, that lots of bugs slip through and end up in production enviroment.
Especially writing a client is no easy task, since you can't test it with every system and every hardware out there. Of course there are bugs, which show up only on specific systems and can only be found in production. But I also have to say, that I never had any issues with the EC (except that on CtD in narveys lair, but since I know how to work around, I don't care).

This is the one I thought was funny because your list
never mentions graphics and yet this is the one thing mentioned most about the EC. GRAPHICS BAD
Yes, graphics could be better. It was a wrong decision to use the old CC graphics tiles.