• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

UO 2d Vs KR Speed

G

Gandie

So why is it they made KR faster then UO 2d?

Its a bit annoying when you PvP as a mage, and don't want to switch to KR because
1: you cant use 'target' on mousewheel
2: KR makes me crash pretty often.

So its sometimes hard to survive with these ultra fast dexxers chasing you, and even harder to kill them as they just jump off your screen when you cast a spell
Its bad enough with the speeding people around allready, not taken care of!

(And no i don't need to switch template im allready a parry mage)

Just a Question

PS. Publish 56 are amazing!

C

Coppelia

Did you run tests?
On my PC there's no difference between KR and Legacy.

ColterDC

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The download craps out every time I have tried to download KR

Go figure

G

GFY

Well... because they want everyone to switch to KR so they can kill the 2d client, would be my guess.

I read a good strategy is to chase the people using KR until they crash then kill them at your leisure! :bdh: :owned:

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
The download craps out every time I have tried to download KR

Go figure
Get a download manager or use the torrent download..that way it can pick up the download at the point it fails and you don't start all over...It's what I had to do.

G

Gandie

Did you run tests?
Yes i ran some luna laps.
And i did some races against some of my guildmates that i normally run at same speed as.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Did you run tests?
Its also way faster for me as well. Especially when changing direction. In 2d there's a millisecond ln KR that lag is not there. Sadly KR sucks otherwise.

Zalan

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
KR doese seem to run slightly faster on my pc. However, there is still enough crashes to keep me from using it all the time. & the client is still alien enough for me to discourage use.

I see no real advantage to KR atm for PvP or PvM due to crashes. About 30 minutes ago I had crash going into twisted weedle in the area were swoop spawns.

I`m also running a decent system to,

Vista
GeForce 9400 1gb of video ram
4 gb of Ram
Intel Duo Core 2 6600 2.4 ghz
240 Satek Hard Drive.

G

Gandie

Aye crashes is a problem for me to.

But i know alot of the people i play with don't have that problem, so for me its still an issue

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

KR's speed is most likely due to being a newer engine with a LOT less effects of having 10+ years' worth of different dev teams coding and recoding constantly for the client/server communication.

N

Nat/Bella

How do you get KR to run with UOA, needs a client name? I downloaded it and it seems faster, but I don't know how to play without UOA anymore. Don't like the pack either.

Ender

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

KR's speed is most likely due to being a newer engine with a LOT less effects of having 10+ years' worth of different dev teams coding and recoding constantly for the client/server communication.
Probably this.

Gildar

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
KR and 2D both peak at the same speed... KR just performs better when loading non-static content, which makes it seem faster in many situations.

D

Divster

That simply isn't true, as was stated in a previous post in this thread KR is far quicker esepcially when it comes to changing directions as long as your computer can handle the graphics requirements comfortably. You will be able to outrun anyone using a non enhanced 2d client with the KR client and keep pace with anyone using an enhanced 2d client. For a dexer KR is almost viable, aside from the horrible targetting issues and those crashes. Again, I'm not sure why the speedhacking issues are still a concern seeing as the devs have released a client capable of the same speeds

W

Warrior of Time

First everyone complains about KR being slow, clunky, and unuseable. That it can't be used in PVP. Hard to believe that anyone could now complain about it's speed.

Hard to imagin it being so fast that it can actually catch a speed hacker. Maybe everyone being as fast as a hacker is a way to get rid of them. Who knows that may be the inent.
KR also has the one click looting too. That also should help get rid of hacking.

I think the best way to tell it's speed is to use your own connection in 2D and then KR at the same location same char.
I always use the white bridge outside of Luna. Measuring it against another person could be a diff in connection.

I can hardly wait till they fix the random crash problem.

Violence

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I run KR.

It is fast enough to get me labeled "Speedhacker" so it's noticeable and that's the only reason I use it. It was that or using a Speedhack JUST TO BE ABLE TO COMPETE.. :) Imagine that, 80% of the people run one. Speaking of which, the new Speedhack out there(relatively new) does beat it or at least compete with it just fine. Tested. And no it doesn't "fry your CPU".

You do not need UOA, Hotbars for the win.

It crashes AT LEAST once every 40-60 minutes. It can even crash on Character Selection or upon opening your Guild List. :stretcher:

Half the things are not usable, like Dye Tubs, Ballot Boxes, Chessboards, Friends/Co-Owners/Access Lists. You cannot safely trade because if you put many items on the Trade Gump the names start dissappearing, the "Accept" button doesn't show.. Oh well, thankfully they are not too important. rolleyes: Oh and you cannot get the Health Bars of people out without a LOT of practice. Nor can you tell who's red, grey, blue, orange or green unless you constantly hit AllNames. Yay. Lots more which I have reported. Best thing? When a Ninja casts something from Stealth, a smoke cloud appears giving off their location. Ruin Ninjitsu more? :)
Oh and how did I forget. If your target runs off screen, the targetting circle around them dissappears. Your char will still swing at them but it is VERY confusing.
OH OH RIGHT, AND YOU CANNOT SEE THE SIGIL PEDESTALS AT LEAST IN THE SHADOWLORDS BASE :p

And... Even with the latest artwork and animation patch... It looks flat, dull and in many occassions simply WRONG. Especially in the animations department.

*EDIT* Did I say my char has a black face and white body in KR? I must have. Oh and GMs don't like it either so far.

T

trammelite

i am a KR only player (with very few exceptions due to KR issues like the Elven heritage quest finishing and such) and i am running around a lot with vet-players using the 2d client. KR seems to be slightly faster, IMHO not that much to justify that people would call KR players "speedhackers", but running a race across a couple of screens will see the KR player in front, like a few steps, but not significant. the difference may well be caused by fast vs. slow con though.
the occasional crashes or annoying things like being able o run into the open sea in Magincia, standing in the middle of water and watching the wooden planks of the harbour setup building up in slomo until these finally reach the position where you are standing (same for the black rubble remains) more than compensate the possible speed advantage.
but at the end of the day, i like the KR client as a total and will continue using it.

W

Warrior of Time

You can still trade with a lot of items in KR. once the items are on the other char. Click the part where the trade button should show. It will open up the place to put the confermation for the trade.

You can't see what was the first things on the list though. Also propertys will not show during the trade. A ring is just a ring.

Violence

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So its faster, fix it! :mf_prop:
You know what I've come to realize? If they implemented the interface and eliminated speed hacking or ALLOWED it... And then somehow polished the graphics to look like Saphireena's art, allowing for higher resolutions as well...

I'd play THAT 2D. No doubt.
So KR is all the above(newest Speedhack works on KR now apparently) MINUS the great artwork displayed in that very long thread.

It would have been cheaper by far to hire her to work on art and animations than creating KR.

When I'm saying implementing the interface, it could be as crude and primitive as UOAssist. Not necessarily funky resizable Hotbars.

It comes down to SPEED and ease of use, lastly graphics. Speed means allowing/removing speed hacks. Ease of use means integrating UOAssist and UOAM into UO's interface. Graphics means hiring someone TALENTED who LOVES Ultima..

In short: Hire Saph, the guy who wrote the latest speeder, the people behind UOAM and UOA and put them in a room for a month.
I bet you 1k Euro by the end of that month you'd have a kick-ass Ultima game, even with the WoWish direction EA/Mythic push it. No KR/2D/SA client debates, no nothing.

Amren

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It may be a little faster,
but that does not change the fact that is looks like crap and occasionaly crashes.

I guess I can use fraps to benchmark both clients over a 30 minute period, but im to lazy for that.