• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Unorthodox Taming Build for Vollem pet from 2 slots up to 5 slots part 1/3

Ahmadi

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Hi all,

I am more than confident that most folks have a set cookie cutter look and feel that makes optimal and effective tamer friends in UO. I understand that there is a standard and agreed, tested and true practice, done by many superior and far better veteran tamers than I that they have shared for the benefit of the UO community.

I for one am thankful to those helpful hints and suggestions when helping me level up my numerous pets. However, there are many ignored pets that are left stagnating or ignored because they don't measure up to the superior prowess of other pets. It is very understandable, and I can see where many tamers are coming from. On the other hand, I AM, if NOT, a COOKIE CUTTER,^v^. Therefore, for all those tamers and even non-tamers that want to try really subpar pets or different leveling paths than what is considered the norm, please take a fun read to my crazy attempts at being a sore nail sticking out, LOL!

I am going to build my Vollem pet to the max, and utilizing different strategy and techniques, PLEASE NOTE: My path is not the recommended path if you want to optimize your DPS or survivability of pets in UO. I would consider mine, a much explorative and fun approach. After all, if we are the same, then we are neither unique or special, ya? *smile*.

Mind you my Vollem is a Legacy Vollem, so I may or may not have additional advantage, here is her stats:

1619559106976.png 1619559168628.png 1619559215269.png 1619559289085.png 1619559382293.png 1619559422739.png

1619559456094.png 1619559520408.png

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is the standard leveling leveling screen, please note the lack of Special Abilities option, as the Vollem comes set with Dragon Breath already, which removes a lot of good choices, like Rune Corruption:

1619570248446.png

That being said, what is left is not bad. Now the Vollem comes already equipped as well with Magery; however, I am experimenting a different path, so I will choose to opt for Spellweaving instead, thus removing her magery skill set:

1619570435743.png

Now this is what she looks like:

1619570523765.png

Following this, we need to put the standard points into her dexterity, stamina, resists, and if anything is left some to her hp.

Here are her final results, I added more to fire, because I am thinking of taking her fire cave or playing with lots of fire based damage mobs later. Her Spellweaving Cold damage AoE will come in handy for farming those areas.

1619570804854.png

1619571080106.png

1619571119808.png

I know many of you will state that I am doing this wrong, or this is not the proper way to train a pet. I understand that and I whole heartedly agree with you all that my way is very way tangent from empowering pets in UO. However, I lay no claim that may way is right, I am just playing this game for the fun of it, and to learn from trying something new.

After all, if one doesn't experiment, how does one grow and gain wisdom? ^v^.

I hope this thread helps someone who is in doubt about leveling their Vollems or even getting one. I still think it is a very underused pet, but has loads of potential.

Thanks.

-Okesha the Hermit

Last edited:

Lex Darion

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
This is messy. So messy.
But while I dont agree with these choices, testing is what finds new builds.

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Pre-Patch Vollems leveled from 2 slots to 3 are actually pretty great for gatherer chars. You can level a Vollem once, and anyone can still control it. My Prospector (Mining+LJ+Fishing) uses a leveled Pre-Patch Vollem (Magery+AI) to guard him as he gathers. A Pre-Patch Vollem leveled from 2-3 allows him to use both a 1 slot Giant Beetle and 1 slot Fire Beetle at the same time, great for when mining. A post-patch Vollem leveled from 3-4 would only allow him to use one of the Beetles at once, not both.
My Prospector's leveled pre-patch Vollem (Magery+AI) can kill virtually anything he comes across while Mining/LJing/Fishing, from Orcs/Ettins/Scorpions while mining for Sand, most spawn in Ilshenar while mining for Saltpeter, or Sea Serpents/Krakens in the ocean while fishing.

I have 120 Discord post-patch Vollems at 4 slots for my Sampires/Throwers, to debuff their opponent.

Vollems leveled once actually end up being most useful for non-Tamers.

Ahmadi

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
@PlayersSkillFTW: Your advice is always super helpful and you have solid feedback. I learned a lot from you in regards to pet levelling ^v^.

I most likely will likely end up burning this poor Vollem with all weird mess ups, haha, but fortunately, at this point from 2->5 is not a bad head start to do catch up, if I mess up a lil’ + plus getting new Vollems is easy from the clean up thing, so I can always get a 3slot if I am interested.

However, I believe most tamers usually find themselves with 3-5 max strong pets they use especially if they are all maxed at 5 slots, lol. So with my extra 37 slots or so, I will use them to farm pets, train, learn, and show case my weird experiments in New Magnicia’s pet stalls for close to nothing.

I love recycling and learning.

-Okesa

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Each thing you put on increases the taming requirement. No matter how large or small.
So plan ahead and do each thing 1 time.
Don't put on 50 hp then 50 more.

If you put a bunch of things on in the first round you can go over 30 requirement.

There is a thread where @Khyro listed how much taming requirement per click for these pets. Then per level.

Last edited:

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I fiddled with at least 10 of them on TC trying to get what I wanted (copied one over every day), Never ended up building one.

Ahmadi

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Meh I am building for fun and being different. Plus I am to help n00b trainers to get some solid 5 slot’ers for close nothing. My aim is peeps use them to traverse harder areas to get the pets they desire without dying. Once there they can release my pets, and they can tame what they like.

ever had to get a pet you liked on a n00b trainer in the middle of a hellish nightmare without peace or invis, lol. Think of mine as a disposable camera, ^v^.

Lex Darion

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
300m / prepatch vollem is quite an expensive disposable pet..

I'd go with tritons for disposable. Very high wres/resist for about 10m a pop.

Ahmadi

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
That is true...but then again my post is not about the pre-patch Vollem as much as it is about the Vollem in general that most folks can get from farming Britannia clean up points. Also, I get that the triton rocks, I have heard he rocks in every aspect, I am just soooo shocked that never UO tamer is not walking with one all the time and only the Triton as a pet. I feel that the developers ruined the game by making a one kill all pet that everyone seems so addicted to. At the end of it all, all my posts are about the pets that no one wants to normally get to level. I am posting about the forgotten relics, the ancient times, the once upon a time, the dinosaur ages, the old commodore and Atari pets. ^v^.

When you get down to it, a Vollem can be as disposable and cheap as any other pet, and cost 0 gold, if you just farm Britannia clean up points, heck you can even farm firesteeds pump them up nice, and kick them off when you get the pet you like. Every pet is disposable and cost 0 gold and 0$ if you know how to play it right.

Speaking of old relics, next one is about the long lost prodigy son...daughter....son-daughter..err..it, :), anyways, see you soon.