• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Unique Tamer Template....

Synbad

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Does anyone have one to share? Particularly a template that isn't cookie-cutter that you love to play?

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
You can pair taming with just about any skill in UO and find some use for it. The "cookie-cutter" templates (as you call them), are the ones that have the better synergies between the skills and the pets.

IMO, the more interesting part of being a tamer, is finding different pets that work better for some hunts other than the standard greater dragons.

Escaflowne

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You can pair taming with just about any skill in UO and find some use for it. The "cookie-cutter" templates (as you call them), are the ones that have the better synergies between the skills and the pets.

IMO, the more interesting part of being a tamer, is finding different pets that work better for some hunts other than the standard greater dragons.
Very true, I recently found a Lesser Hiyru/Tiger combo to be quite good. Tiger bleeds and does a special that lowers targets physical resist and hit hards. Lesser Hiyru does a special that makes target more susceptible to physical attacks and then proceeds to double strike once it has done that. And they both do 100% Physical damage. With consume damage mastery on the one tanking they actually had really good synergy and dealt out good amount of damage.

Synbad

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Right now I have all the mage skills.... alchemy adds some fun to it by throwing greater conflag pots... I do like spellweaving although I find the new mastery "Empowerment" serving the same purpose for me as the gift of renewal spell... hmmm maybe ill do tailoring... pets make great leather gatherers!

Escaflowne

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yeah theres alot of possbilities :) Have a look at all the skills and see what can work together and if anything sparks your fancy :) That alchemy idea throwing greater explosions and greater conflags sounds quite cool. With GM Alchemy and 50% Enhance potions the greater explosion pots will deal a fair bit of damage. You can further this by taking up Necro as well and using the corpse skin spell to lower their fire resist thus do more damage.

There used to be Necro tamers that ran around with 2 Fire steeds. Fire steeds dont cast spells but they have firebreath and hit very hard doing 20% Physical, 80% Fire damage. They also have Equine pack bonus so when used as a 2 have a 25% damage increase together. So necros used to corpse skin targets and set the 2 fire steeds on the target and they dished out alot of damage. I think some of the old necro tamers even managed to fit Discord barding skill on their template and discorded their targets to make this combo even more effective.
After saying all this to you, this template might see a return with the new taming changes depending on how well they are implemented. Fire steeds are 2 slots so you could train 1 to 3 slots and run with a normal 2 slot one. Or even just train one fire steed up to 5 slots providing their damage etc increases with the new taming changes. Infact i might want to try that idea myself when new taming changes come in lol. A necro alchemy tamer running around with 5 slot fire steed, corpse skin, explosion potions with 50% Enhance potions. Could be fun :D

Few months back I created a tamer PvP char based around my Pet Imps, I have changed him into a different character now PURELY for the fact im brand new to fel PvP and he simply had too many macros to consider in PvP and i ended up just panicking, face planting my keyboard and then the floor all the time lol. The template had potential though and if i was any good could of probaly worked.
But my thought process for the whole thing was:

-My mind was set building a template around these two Imps which i had spent alot of gold on and fully trained. So I created my character IMP MY RIDE and named my imps Westwood and Xzibit lol.

-Now Imps have pack bonus that also effects the damage of their spells, so the first skill i chose for the template was spellweaving for the summon Fiend spell (Which you have to do a quest to get). Summon fiend summons temporary untrained 1 slot Imps. So then using this id have 3 Imps out on the field with 50% Damage increase pack bonus on their spells. Imps cast like crazy to against targets running and my 2 tamed ones were fully GM Eval and Magery.

-Now with 2 tamed Imps and a summoned Imp thats all 5 of my control slots taken up so I can't be mounted; I need to be able to dismount. So I picked Archery and tactics for the ranged dismount with heavy X bow then switch to repeating crossbow with hit spells on it for fast firing moving shot special. Lets face it once you've dismounted someone and set 3 Imps on them they are gonna be running in the opposite direction.

-It was at this point i realised that my character; instead of being built around hard high damaging combos or specials, that he is based upon LOTS of fast small damage bursts from different sources that just overwhelm someone. You've got 3 Imps all casting spells fast at the target, then me with my hit spell repeating crossbow at max swing speed moving shotting you. I thought to myself how can i improve this for more bursts of damage, I did consider alchemy for throwng explosions at this point but they are not reliable for hitting moving targets. Then when looking at different skill spells I came across the gem that is Spell Plague which while in effect has a chance to do a damage burst to a target whenever they take damage from something. 3 Imps casting on you and me shooting you, that spell plague is bound to pop off twice. So I took up mysticism with focus for my last skills on the template. Then also realised a bit later I could also spell stone the mystic boulder spell to throw during the fight for even more damage and a chance to stun.

-So I ended up being a Archer/Mystic/Weaver/Tamer. My aim in combat was to spell plague, dismount, set the 3 imps on them, moving shot, spellstoned boulder then hope they die lol. Well if you were working with anyone else on your team also attacking then most times they would be dead. Obviously i had to spend little bit on the suit for this character and +Skills jewelry to fit everything on the template. Its a shame being brand new to pvp there was just too much going on with this template for me to cope with lol.

I hope this helps you in anyway possible, just wanted to show you my thought process when designing one of my templates. I like to be different and try new things, apart from Escaflowne my basic straight 120 tamer/mage and my wraith archer, most of my templates arn't popular bog standard ones.
I usually get an idea and then build template from ground up around that idea; like my main pvp'er Pablo Escabear who i created after IMP MY RIDE, i built this guy all around the Force of Nature Gnarled and Wild staff special move. He is a Macer/Bush/Parry/Necro who runs around with a big gnarled staff hitting people on the head, the whole template was built to make that special move do as much damage as possible, which i can hit alot of people for half their health in one hit.

Then I have Archaflowne who is a Wrestling Parry Battle Tinker, My idea for him was I just always wanted a char that used Alchemical bracers of detruction and punched stuff. With him I built his template around his punches doing as much damage as possible with wrestling mastery, skills, Alchemical bracers etc. Then he runs around with a Kotl automaton attacking stuff, I stand ontop of monster as i have shield with 120 parry so i don't have to repair the Kotl as much, when i nearly die i jumped under my Kotl automaton and repair him as he gets hit. Before this template i did make a necro Horrific Beast Form parry wrestler which was very fun, but being the massive Pet class fanboy i am, as soon as Kotl Automatons came out I changed to this template idea.

I have Bardaflowne who is my Mystic/Weaver/Mage/Bard who soulstones between the 3 bard skills. When i first made Escaflowne he was a bard and I used to love making monsters attack eachother and at this point I had never tried spellweaving which again as a pet class fanboy has the dryad allure spell. So I created this character. This character also has a combo that rocks against bosses at the end, an improved word of death combo. Basically I have an SDI suit on this character with 106 SDI or something, I then take discord as my bard skill and discord Mastery. When Boss is getting to word of death health level, I cast Arcane empowerment to increase my SDI Further, then cast the Discord Mastery Tribulation on the boss that when the target is hit by a damage source, if tribulation prots it deals a burst of damage thats like 40% of the initial damage the target took. So other week I was doing Scalis, hit him for 700 with word of death, as I did that Tribulation kicked in and did an extra 250 damage on top of that so I hit scalis for over 1,000.

Anyone who knows me on Europa knows im Bear crazy, At the Europa Brit Meet my friend Barian gave me the name Bear Grills so I built my second PvP char with that name. He is a Swords/Ninja/Stealth/Poisoner. I run around in a Chefs Hat, Full Apron with Poisoned Cleaver in my fel guild 'Fel's Kitchen [CH3F], then i leave engraved food at the corpse of anyone i managed to kill taunting them lol.

The character im working on right now and training is named Grobu. I always wanted to make a char thats in bear form constantly, So i started on him with 70 magery to run around polymorphed as black bear constantly and built him up from there. He is a Fencing/Spellweaving/Ninja who when ready will Dryad allure a Trogoldyte who i will rename 'Lurg' to run around with him and help fight. Troglodytes also heal you like a Cu Sidhe so will help attack and heal in battle. I took fencing to use the Tekagi claws weapon and Ninja to use the Dual Wield special move on that weapon. Will use Spellweaving mastery mana shield on him and Bestial armour set to make him tanky too. The Dual Wield will let me attack twice at once and with high life leech Tekagi claws it will make the life leech hit twice. So this char is built heavily around his suit as well as his template.

ANYWAY to summarise before i full on went off on a rant. I find focusing on an idea whether it be a char theme, certain pet to use, special move, spell combo or skill you've always wanted to try; Its a good place to start to build a template from. Also one last note which may help, when Im creating a char template I go on UO Guide and just look at the UO skill list on there for a while to see all the skills and what I could have together etc. I apologise for the wall of text lol

Last edited:

Synbad

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Yeah theres alot of possbilities :) Have a look at all the skills and see what can work together and if anything sparks your fancy :) That alchemy idea throwing greater explosions and greater conflags sounds quite cool. With GM Alchemy and 50% Enhance potions the greater explosion pots will deal a fair bit of damage. You can further this by taking up Necro as well and using the corpse skin spell to lower their fire resist thus do more damage.

There used to be Necro tamers that ran around with 2 Fire steeds. Fire steeds dont cast spells but they have firebreath and hit very hard doing 20% Physical, 80% Fire damage. They also have Equine pack bonus so when used as a 2 have a 25% damage increase together. So necros used to corpse skin targets and set the 2 fire steeds on the target and they dished out alot of damage. I think some of the old necro tamers even managed to fit Discord barding skill on their template and discorded their targets to make this combo even more effective.
After saying all this to you, this template might see a return with the new taming changes depending on how well they are implemented. Fire steeds are 2 slots so you could train 1 to 3 slots and run with a normal 2 slot one. Or even just train one fire steed up to 5 slots providing their damage etc increases with the new taming changes. Infact i might want to try that idea myself when new taming changes come in lol. A necro alchemy tamer running around with 5 slot fire steed, corpse skin, explosion potions with 50% Enhance potions. Could be fun :D

Few months back I created a tamer PvP char based around my Pet Imps, I have changed him into a different character now PURELY for the fact im brand new to fel PvP and he simply had too many macros to consider in PvP and i ended up just panicking, face planting my keyboard and then the floor all the time lol. The template had potential though and if i was any good could of probaly worked.

-My mind was set building a template around these two Imps which i had spent alot of gold on and fully trained. So I created my character IMP MY RIDE and named my imps Westwood and Xzibit lol.

-Now Imps have pack bonus that also effects the damage of their spells, so the first skill i chose for the template was spellweaving for the summon Fiend spell (Which you have to do a quest to get). Summon fiend summons temporary untrained 1 slot Imps. So then using this id have 3 Imps out on the field with 50% Damage increase pack bonus on their spells. Imps cast like crazy to against targets running and my 2 tamed ones were fully GM Eval and Magery.

-Now with 2 tamed Imps and a summoned Imp thats all 5 of my control slots taken up so I can't be mounted; I need to be able to dismount. So I picked Archery and tactics for the ranged dismount with heavy X bow then switch to repeating crossbow with hit spells on it for fast firing moving shot special. Lets face it once you've dismounted someone and set 3 Imps on them they are gonna be running in the opposite direction.

-It was at this point i realised that my character; instead of being built around hard high damaging combos or specials, that he is based upon LOTS of fast small damage bursts from different sources that just overwhelm someone. You've got 3 Imps all casting spells fast at the target, then me with my hit spell repeating crossbow at max swing speed moving shotting you. I thought to myself how can i improve this for more bursts of damage, I did consider alchemy for throwng explosions at this point but they are not reliable for hitting moving targets. Then when looking at different skill spells I came across the gem that is Spell Plague which while in effect has a chance to do a damage burst to a target whenever they take damage from something. 3 Imps casting on you and me shooting you, that spell plague is bound to pop off twice. So I took up mysticism with focus for my last skills on the template. Then also realised a bit later I could also spell stone the mystic boulder spell to throw during the fight for even more damage and a chance to stun.

-So I ended up being a Archer/Mystic/Weaver/Tamer. My aim in combat was to spell plague, dismount, set the 3 imps on them, moving shot, spellstoned boulder then hope they die lol. Well if you were working with anyone else on your team also attacking then most times they would be dead. Obviously i had to spend little bit on the suit for this character and +Skills jewelry to fit everything on the template. Its a shame being brand new to pvp there was just too much going on with this template for me to cope with lol.

I hope this helps you in anyway possible, just wanted to show you my thought process when designing one of my templates. I like to be different and try new things, apart from Escaflowne my basic straight 120 tamer/mage and my wraith archer, most of my templates arn't popular bog standard ones.
I usually get an idea and then build template from ground up around that idea; like my main pvp'er Pablo Escabear who i created after IMP MY RIDE, i built this guy all around the Force of Nature Gnarled and Wild staff special move. He is a Macer/Bush/Parry/Necro who runs around with a big gnarled staff hitting people on the head, the whole template was built to make that special move do as much damage as possible, which i can hit alot of people for half their health in one hit.

Then I have Archaflowne who is a Wrestling Parry Battle Tinker, My idea for him was I just always wanted a char that used Alchemical bracers of detruction and punched stuff. With him I built his template around his punches doing as much damage as possible with wrestling mastery, skills, Alchemical bracers etc. Then he runs around with a Kotl automaton attacking stuff, I stand ontop of monster as i have shield with 120 parry so i don't have to repair the Kotl as much, when i nearly die i jumped under my Kotl automaton and repair him as he gets hit. Before this template i did make a necro Horrific Beast Form parry wrestler which was very fun, but being the massive Pet class fanboy i am, as soon as Kotl Automatons came out I changed to this template idea.

I have Bardaflowne who is my Mystic/Weaver/Mage/Bard who soulstones between the 3 bard skills. When i first made Escaflowne he was a bard and I used to love making monsters attack eachother and at this point I had never tried spellweaving which again as a pet class fanboy has the dryad allure spell. So I created this character. This character also has a combo that rocks against bosses at the end, an improved word of death combo. Basically I have an SDI suit on this character with 106 SDI or something, I then take discord as my bard skill and discord Mastery. When Boss is getting to word of death health level, I cast Arcane empowerment to increase my SDI Further, then cast the Discord Mastery Tribulation on the boss that when the target is hit by a damage source, if tribulation prots it deals a burst of damage thats like 40% of the initial damage the target took. So other week I was doing Scalis, hit him for 700 with word of death, as I did that Tribulation kicked in and did an extra 250 damage on top of that so I hit scalis for over 1,000.

Anyone who knows me on Europa knows im Bear crazy, At the Europa Brit Meet my friend Barian gave me the name Bear Grills so I built my second PvP char with that name. He is a Swords/Ninja/Stealth/Poisoner. I run around in a Chefs Hat, Full Apron with Poisoned Cleaver in my fel guild 'Fel's Kitchen [CH3F], then i leave engraved food at the corpse of anyone i managed to kill taunting them lol.

The character im working on right now and training is named Grobu. I always wanted to make a char thats in bear form constantly, So i started on him with 70 magery to run around polymorphed as black bear constantly and built him up from there. He is a Fencing/Spellweaving/Ninja who when ready will Dryad allure a Trogoldyte who i will rename 'Lurg' to run around with him and help fight. Troglodytes also heal you like a Cu Sidhe so will help attack and heal in battle. I took fencing to use the Tekagi claws weapon and Ninja to use the Dual Wield special move on that weapon. Will use Spellweaving mastery mana shield on him and Bestial armour set to make him tanky too. The Dual Wield will let me attack twice at once and with high life leech Tekagi claws it will make the life leech hit twice. So this char is built heavily around his suit as well as his template.

ANYWAY to summarise before i full on went off on a rant. I find focusing on an idea whether it be a char theme, certain pet to use, special move, spell combo or skill you've always wanted to try; Its a good place to start to build a template from. Also one last note which may help, when Im creating a char template I go on UO Guide and just look at the UO skill list on there for a while to see all the skills and what I could have together etc. I apologise for the wall of text lol
great post! helps a lot... would you mind listing that tamer template you used for PVP.. never thought of imps and corpse skin... very creative.. actually ive been torn between necro and mystic with spellweaving....

Escaflowne

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sure I believe it was:
120 Archery
120 Tactics
120 Mystic
120 Focus
100 Spellweaving
90 Taming
90 Lore

760 skills total and Had +40 skills on the suit. Had plenty of mana regen/LMC on the suit, can use a bow with mana leech for PvM too. Healed with weaving gift of renewal, mystic healing stone and mystic heal spell. The only downfall of the template was not being able to rez my pets, I could heal them fine but always had to run Luna bank to get a player to rez or go get them rezzed at stables. Guess you could have a play about with template to fit vet on if you wanted to. Maybe lower focus to 100, Mystic to 110, Tactics to 100 and get more +skill stuff.

Escaflowne

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
True there are those, i have never used one though, dunno how they work. Pets might lose more stats than vet rez

Escaflowne

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well after a bit of thought and you @Synbad mentioning conflag/explosion pots. Ive just designed the template for my next project after i finish training and playing with my current project. Gonna try the necro tamer with alchemy and 2 fire steeds. And hopefully when the new taming changes come in a 5 Slot Fire steed will be decent for the template.
Template will be:
Necromancy 100
Spiritspeak 110
Alchemy 100
Taming 100
Lore 100
Vet 80
Magery 110
Eval 120

Will have to get +100 skills on suit which ive already written down the artifacts id need.
Will all be based around dishing out the fire damage. Max Enhance Potions, Necro Corpse skin on target, then 2 Fire steeds attack while i throw explosion potions and explo/flamestrike. Will try get fair bit of SDI on the suit too. If one of my fire steeds dies I can use the necro animate dead spell to raise a hellsteed to attack whilst i rez it.
Hellsteed - UOGuide, the Ultima Online Encyclopedia

Hellsteeds also deal 75% fire damage so keeps with the synergy of the template. Ive taken Magery and 120 eval too for the magery deathray mastery, in necro wraith form ill be able to sustain casting it for a long time as the mana leech from that form will negate the mana upkeep of the spell alot better. Read this on a stratics thread earlier today by someone who was testing the masteries:

"Death Ray" appears to deal pure Energy Damage. Death Ray with 120 Magery/120 Eval did 64 Damage per tick to a wild Cu Sidhe with 72% Energy Resist (so would do 232 Energy Damage against 0 Energy Resist). Death Ray with 120 Magery/120 Eval did 27 damage per tick to a player with 75 Energy Resist.
Death Ray is interrupted if you move or get hit with anything, even through Protection. Slayers and SDI do not affect the damage. Death Ray requires a massive amount of Mana to use, it consumes 50 Mana (subject to LMC) to initiate the cast, and consumes 35 Mana (subject to LMC) per tick, which is every 3 seconds. Wraith Form works for leeching Mana back with Death Ray. With 40% LMC, and at least 65 damage per tick, you can keep Death Ray up indefinitely with Wraith Form, so long as your target has Mana remaining.
And also I can have fun by stabling the Fire Steeds and using the necro mastery to tame skeletal dragons and stuff to mess around with :)

If the Magery deathray thing didn't work out then I was thinking could possibly change Magery and Eval to 110 Music/120 Discord. Can then discord your targets to make them weaker, set your mastery book to fire damage and use the Discord Despair mastery on target that will then tick fire damage every 2 seconds.
This change would also allow you to use a Fire Horn which would then be even more fire damage that will syergise with the template :).

Will probaly take me 6 months to get round to training this idea and getting the gold together for the suit lol. I have the bad habit of creating a char template, then taking a year to get round to actually training it. Its taken me 4 months to start training my current project from when i created him lol.

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Well after a bit of thought and you @Synbad mentioning conflag/explosion pots. Ive just designed the template for my next project after i finish training and playing with my current project. Gonna try the necro tamer with alchemy and 2 fire steeds. And hopefully when the new taming changes come in a 5 Slot Fire steed will be decent for the template.
Template will be:
Necromancy 100
Spiritspeak 110
Alchemy 100
Taming 100
Lore 100
Vet 80
Magery 110
Eval 120

Will have to get +100 skills on suit which ive already written down the artifacts id need.
Will all be based around dishing out the fire damage. Max Enhance Potions, Necro Corpse skin on target, then 2 Fire steeds attack while i throw explosion potions and explo/flamestrike. Will try get fair bit of SDI on the suit too. If one of my fire steeds dies I can use the necro animate dead spell to raise a hellsteed to attack whilst i rez it.
Hellsteed - UOGuide, the Ultima Online Encyclopedia

Hellsteeds also deal 75% fire damage so keeps with the synergy of the template. Ive taken Magery and 120 eval too for the magery deathray mastery, in necro wraith form ill be able to sustain casting it for a long time as the mana leech from that form will negate the mana upkeep of the spell alot better. Read this on a stratics thread earlier today by someone who was testing the masteries:

And also I can have fun by stabling the Fire Steeds and using the necro mastery to tame skeletal dragons and stuff to mess around with :)

If the Magery deathray thing didn't work out then I was thinking could possibly change Magery and Eval to 110 Music/120 Discord. Can then discord your targets to make them weaker, set your mastery book to fire damage and use the Discord Despair mastery on target that will then tick fire damage every 2 seconds.
This change would also allow you to use a Fire Horn which would then be even more fire damage that will syergise with the template :).

Will probaly take me 6 months to get round to training this idea and getting the gold together for the suit lol. I have the bad habit of creating a char template, then taking a year to get round to actually training it. Its taken me 4 months to start training my current project from when i created him lol.
I am not sure you can control fire steeds at 100 taming/lore. Don't think I have ever tried, but it just seems too low for them.

Escaflowne

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well they are 106 requirement to tame, 100/100 i would of thought would be enough to have them transfered to you and command them. Ill have to give it a test nearer the time and adjust the template accordingly if thats the case

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
One of my guildmates has an awesome Stealth Tamer. Template is as follows:

115 Taming (120 with tali)
105 Lore (110 with tali)
070 Vet
100 Hiding
070 Stealth (100 with cape & cloak)
100 Magery (110 with scrapper)
090 Eval Intel
070 Meditation (080 with scrapper)

Kind of a tricky template if you want to have all of those skills because you will have to get a good amount of skill points from items. You could also forego having vet or med.

Zalan

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Would it be more efficient to drop hiding to 30 and bump up the other skills. Cast invisibility then start stealthing. Or does that not work anymore.

Escaflowne

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That template i built specifically for PvP @CorwinXX i built around 2 pre patch Imps i bought and trained up. It worked well but i am brand new to Fel pvp and i made that as my first PvP char and there was just too much going on, too many macros etc so i created a simple dexxer instead. The Imps punch damage is bugged to 1 damage per punch because of the bugged damage distribution is over 100%. But their spells work just fine and resists make them tanky. So was using the imps to cast on people running away after i dismounted them and taking advantage of their pack bonus by using weaving to summon a third imp so all 3 imps had 50% increased damage spells.

I am going to re create his char in a 2.0 Version in the future. Slightly different though and as a gargoyle

Imps.jpg

Read this from my previous post and i hope that can explain the sort of combos etc i used.

Last edited: