• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Unbelievable....

H

HellaFarris

I cycle GD's on Fire Island for 3 hours working on finding a good one, finally get a really nice one. Take my current GD back to the stable - when I return (curiously my rune spot was 'blocked' for 5 minutes whilst trying to return) someone's arrived, tames it and gates off.

3 hours, well - I hope it goes wild on you, thanks for listening to reason and completely ignoring me.

Sarsmi

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's faster to cycle them in wind, if you don't mind not getting gold. Sorry you got burned. If you stick with fire maybe try luring the next good greater you get off a ways then mark near where you dragged it (maybe towards the shrine, good for rezzing) so it won't get nabbed.

H

HellaFarris

Aha! I'll try Wind thanks for the tip :)

Curiously the tamer concerned appears to have become my stalker, whilst looking for good Cu's this morning in the Weald this person turned up and promptly fireballed each Cu I was attempting to tame to keep them too angry to tame ..... how weird is that, they obviously weren't trying to discourage me just so that they could tame instead cause they were riding on a Black Cu at the time.

kitiara-atlantic

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
A hypocrite tamer-griefer....

Wow, do some people really have nothing better to do??? I'm sorry for your run-in's!

L

Lord GOD(GOD)

If I'd been waiting 3 hours for someone to leave so I could Tame, and they came back and started trying to lay claim to my dragon, when they clearly already had one of their own, I'd ignore them too.

Your idea of reason seems to be them giving you what you want because you think you're more entitled to it than they are. If they came here and read your 'reasonable' reaction of hoping it goes wild then I expect its as 'reasonable' for them to try to make you understand that you don't own any spawn the next time they saw you.

LordDrago

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Although I understand the original posters frustration, I can also imagine the other tamers point of view.

"I recalled to fire island to tame myself a greater dragon. Imagine my surprise when I get there, and there is an excellent greater dragon. I start to tame it. Unfortunately, i am not that good, and it takes me several attempts before I get it. All of a sudden, this guy gates in and begins telling me that this greater dragon is his. He gave me some story about how his recall spot was blocked for 5 minutes or something. Why does it seem that everytime I start taming something good, a GD, a Cu Sidhe, etc. some griefer comes up and claims that "this spawn was mine"?"

Two sides to every story and all that.

If it had been me, i would have given the OP the GD (seeing as that at my play level, the GD I have is good enough I suppose), but that is just me. I tend to give people the benefit of the doubt.

H

HellaFarris

If I'd been waiting 3 hours for someone to leave so I could Tame, and they came back and started trying to lay claim to my dragon, when they clearly already had one of their own, I'd ignore them too.
The other tamer hadn't been waiting for 3 hours for me to leave, I worked the spawn for 3 hours solo - didn't see another soul up until the point that I came back from stabling my GD to tame the one I wanted (as fast as I could, I had to go to a public rune library to get back there as my rune was blocked.....) They also already had a GD of their own, they were using it to beat down the GD I had gone back for.

Perhaps I hadn't made that clear in my first post.

Your idea of reason seems to be them giving you what you want because you think you're more entitled to it than they are. If they came here and read your 'reasonable' reaction of hoping it goes wild then I expect its as 'reasonable' for them to try to make you understand that you don't own any spawn the next time they saw you.
Of course I don't *own* the spawn, my frustration was that I missed the one opportunity I had been working for several hours towards with no hope of recourse or chance of actually undertaking the opportunity I had been afforded, the other person involved chose to ingore my attempts at explanation - which, by the way - they are completely at liberty to do, even though there were GD corpses all over the place in evidence that someone had been working the spawn. This isnt a personal attack on said person otherwise I'd be naming them eh

My annoyance is at the lost opportunity, a half a day wasted. It just so happens that the half a day wasted lead to another player ending up with what I had worked hard for, an extra annoyance.

If people didn't believe that hard work is due a reward than we'd all be cheating, lying, thieving layabouts no? I put in a lot of hard work, got nothing for it.

If you worked the Cu's in the Weald for several hours and watched someone saunter in, have a Blaze spawn in front of them and they happily tame it a walk away you would feel no frustration?

If you go to work and put in a lot of hours week in and week out, you'd be happy to watch someone who sits watching TV all day to collect and spend you wages would you?

That was the point of my post, I'm venting my frustration.

H

HellaFarris

Although I understand the original posters frustration, I can also imagine the other tamers point of view.

"I recalled to fire island to tame myself a greater dragon. Imagine my surprise when I get there, and there is an excellent greater dragon. I start to tame it. Unfortunately, i am not that good, and it takes me several attempts before I get it. All of a sudden, this guy gates in and begins telling me that this greater dragon is his. He gave me some story about how his recall spot was blocked for 5 minutes or something. Why does it seem that everytime I start taming something good, a GD, a Cu Sidhe, etc. some griefer comes up and claims that "this spawn was mine"?"

Two sides to every story and all that.

If it had been me, i would have given the OP the GD (seeing as that at my play level, the GD I have is good enough I suppose), but that is just me. I tend to give people the benefit of the doubt.
I can absolutely see this point of view. Were the boot on the other foot I would like to think I'd do the same, I've given away more rare coloured Cu's than I've kept - including the only Black one I have tamed (though mostly reds and pinks, in fact I have one of each red and pink still in the stable if anyone on Europa wants one)

I have met more people in game that would go out of their way to help and kindly listen to some blabbering fool's explanation of how they'd been working the spawn than otherwise. Perhaps because of that I have been spoiled into thinking people are more generous hearted than they are.

L

Lord GOD(GOD)

Theres no way of you knowing that they hadn't been waiting they could have been on a Stealther.

The point of who already has one isn't the point. Though if you came back and they were beating it down with theirs why didn't you tame it when they left to stable their dragon?

"If people didn't believe that hard work is due a reward than we'd all be cheating, lying, thieving layabouts no? I put in a lot of hard work, got nothing for it."

No.

"If you worked the Cu's in the Weald for several hours and watched someone saunter in, have a Blaze spawn in front of them and they happily tame it a walk away you would feel no frustration?"

Yes and it has happened. Would I make a thread claiming the other person is some sort of unreasonable *******? No. I'd realise that 'venting' doesn't change anything.

"If you go to work and put in a lot of hours week in and week out, you'd be happy to watch someone who sits watching TV all day to collect and spend you wages would you?"

The difference is UO is a game where people can do what they like within the TOS & ROC and work is real life where people can't take other peoples things without their consent. (does this really need explaining?)

H

HellaFarris

Theres no way of you knowing that they hadn't been waiting they could have been on a Stealther.
A very valid point. I've no idea of the answer to that one.

The point of who already has one isn't the point.
Fair enough - though you mentioned it in your post like you thought it was :)

Though if you came back and they were beating it down with theirs why didn't you tame it when they left to stable their dragon?
Cause it killed me when he recalled off and I didn't get ressed in time before he was back.

Yes and it has happened. Would I make a thread claiming the other person is some sort of unreasonable *******? No. I'd realise that 'venting' doesn't change anything.
It's a public forum, within reason I can post what I like. If you hit your thumb with a hammer you scream and curse right? That's venting, does it 'change anything'? Maybe not - but you still do so.

The difference is UO is a game where people can do what they like within the TOS & ROC and work is real life where people can't take other peoples things without their consent. (does this really need explaining?)
True indeed - it's all just a bunch of 1's and 0's. You can't ignore the fact that is also subject to emotive responses however, otherwise there'd be little point in participating.

This thread isn't really going anywhere much now - I repsect and have enjoyed yours and the other responses to my venting. I am now not as frustrated as I was - and that probably/hopefully shows in my posts, I still stand by the venting, when it happened I was livid, however I'm pretty much going to leave it there.

Thanks again for your responses - take care and have fun :)

Edit: Where did your other post go?

L

Lord GOD(GOD)

Fair enough - though you mentioned it in your post like you thought it was :)
Aye, but no, its not really about me or what I would do, it just could have been part of their thought process.

Cause it killed me when he recalled off and I didn't get ressed in time before he was back.
Even weakened? :( Really wasn't your day.

It's a public forum, within reason I can post what I like. If you hit your thumb with a hammer you scream and curse right? That's venting, does it 'change anything'? Maybe not - but you still do so.
Aye, maybe, but it wouldn't be the hammers fault.

Edit: Where did your other post go?
I deleted it because it didn't really say anything I wasn't already saying. (and I didn't want to go on about it)

weins201

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
At CUs if they are just hittin gthem as you are taming them and NOT finishing off ...

and they are just interupting your tames. Ask them to stop then post a physical harrassment claim amke sure you target the char.

This is a blatant form of griefing, acknowledeged before and griefing. Just make sure oyu aske and have it in journal.

As for the greater, it is sad that some tamers are such jerks nut that is the way of life, work up fel side and you can just kill them off, There is less spawn to deal with and you can get the satisifaction of killing the ****er off.

I

inareverie85

I'm really not sure why this person is being attacked for feeling frustrated in the situation. I certainly would feel the same, and I'm fairly sure that if you say you wouldn't feel so, you're lying.

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Until the pet is tamed it really is free for anyone to tame or kill and this is something you really have to accept. There are some tamers who can be reasoned with or who would wait to see if someone claimed that dragon, but you'll only be frustrated if you expect everyone to behave that way.

Instead, try to manage the spawn in such a way that it's harder for someone to get that dragon - firstly get it out the temple and somewhere secluded before you even think about stabling a pet. Better still work the spawn with a throwaway dragon so you don't need to stable it in the first place - release it nearby or let it die as it beats up the dragon you intend to keep. If you're somewhere quiet and you don't ever leave the spawn, the chances are pretty slim that you'll lose a dragon to another tamer.

With the cu spawn I wouldn't page on this tamer, you really need to show you've tried to remove yourself from the grief before a GM will do anything. The last time someone tried attacking cus I was taming I just took the pup nearer to them and invis'd myself. If they want the pup's attention that bad, let them have it ;)

Wenchy

L

Lord GOD(GOD)

They aren't being attacked, they just aren't being blindly empathised with to the point where I'm bashing someone I don't know for a situation I don't have all the facts of. Feeling frustrated is fine and can be done without a derrogatory witch hunt for an unknown person by people who weren't involved. Just because someone tells you their side of a situation first doesn't make it fact, and definitely isn't cause to join in the bashing.

J

[JD]

I haven't run into this situation myself..

Usually when searching for a greater I have runes marked to all spots. I'll recall in, invis and lore around, and then leave if I don't find anything I like. This leaves me free to have fun instead of churning through dragons which can be boring and frustrating due to lack of results.

If I do find something I like, I DEFINITELY pull it to a more secluded area.

I'm also on a throw-away horse I tamed, I release it, and call in a couple guildies to help me kill it to 1% life. At no time do I leave the GD once I spot it...

The guy fireballing your cu's seemed like he was trying to grief you, I'd have reported him for that. Taming your dragon before you could is just your bad luck and is part of the game, just like when someone beats you to Dark Father, or a spawn, or anywhere else...

M

maroite

The point of who already has one isn't the point. Though if you came back and they were beating it down with theirs why didn't you tame it when they left to stable their dragon?

"If people didn't believe that hard work is due a reward than we'd all be cheating, lying, thieving layabouts no? I put in a lot of hard work, got nothing for it."

No.

"If you worked the Cu's in the Weald for several hours and watched someone saunter in, have a Blaze spawn in front of them and they happily tame it a walk away you would feel no frustration?"

"If you go to work and put in a lot of hours week in and week out, you'd be happy to watch someone who sits watching TV all day to collect and spend you wages would you?"

Obviously if this guy went to the wield on a Cu while the OP was there rotating them and started harassing him by fireballing the OP's attempts to tame he's not as innocent as you're trying to assume he is.

Also, who sits around on a stealther for 3 hours while someone else works a spawn and says nothing? A griefer thats who. Who sits around at Fire when its not the only GD spawn in UO, waiting for another person working the spawn to get a decent GD? A griefer.

Your points are bad and poorly thought out. Kinda makes me wonder if you aren't the person in question. :popcorn:

L

Lord GOD(GOD)

Obviously if this guy went to the wield on a Cu while the OP was there rotating them and started harassing him by fireballing the OP's attempts to tame he's not as innocent as you're trying to assume he is.

Also, who sits around on a stealther for 3 hours while someone else works a spawn and says nothing? A griefer thats who. Who sits around at Fire when its not the only GD spawn in UO, waiting for another person working the spawn to get a decent GD? A griefer.

Your points are bad and poorly thought out. Kinda makes me wonder if you aren't the person in question. :popcorn:
I haven't made any comments about the Weald. That was an event that happened afterwards. Read the progression of the thread. (I haven't disputed the events at Weald as it is a clear cut case of harassment that needs to be resolved in game, the first post isn't.) You make it sound like he knew he was going to be there, how would he? You accuse me of not thinking? Try doing some yourself.

I'll pretend for a moment that its relavent to my point in this thread what someone else choses to do in game, how do you know they did sit for 3 hours? How do you know the OP just didn't notice them? How do you know they hadn't tried other spots? How do you know they didn't just happen to get in game and get there?
That person is as much a griefer for the dragon incident as you are informed about their side of the story. Which is evidently not at all.

Your 'point', if it can be called that, seems to be entirely based on a possible reason that they may not have seen someone waiting. Arguing over that doesn't make you any more informed about the other persons side of it.

Or to put it another way, attacking or discrediting something I post, when what I've posted is only speculation, doesn't make the OP's post fact. It also shows that you haven't thought about the other persons side of it at all. Which is all I've done. If this distinction is lost on you then the pitchforks and torches are over there on the left.

L

Lord GOD(GOD)

I'll put it another way...

We've both read the first post, right?

My reaction is; this is one persons view of a situation, this is half of a story, I wonder if it went down like that from the other persons perspective. Is that reaction unreasonable? I don't think it is, but if you do, explain why?

Your reaction, going just on your reply to me, seems to be; this person has been griefed, everything happened exactly as they said it did, I am angered by a person I don't know. Is that reaction unreasonable? I think it is, you don't know what happened, being angered by someone you don't know and calling them names isn't a reasonable response.

kaio

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I tame GD's in fel, coz of drama like this.
The idea with a throw-away-gd, is actually quite good. why didnt i think of that..hmmm

GreywolfUK

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This is the kind of thing I avoid by raising Honor, it means I can run up to a GD, casting invis and lore it. If I see one I like, I just embrace honor and tame, no need to drag anything away. Just invis, lore, embrace honor, (invis again in the event of being targetted), tame, gate to stables, rinse and repeat, every 5 minutes, while you have honor. I have only failed once to tame a GD before my honor runs out.

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sadly by the sounds of the OP's posts, the dragon was right in the temple itself, and IMHO that is almost asking for someone to come and mess with your taming. Unfortunately honor taming won't protect you from griefers - they can still attack and interupt your tames or kill the pet you're after :(

I decided that the best way to avoid other players causing trouble for me was to ensure they couldn't find me or the pet, so I always move keeper pets when possible. It takes a minute, but if the pet is that good and I worked the spawn for a while, I'd rather spend the time moving it than lose it ;)

Wenchy

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I think it is, you don't know what happened, being angered by someone you don't know and calling them names isn't a reasonable response.
Good grief, you just don't give up do you? Something bad happened to the op, he posted about it, and a few people empathized and were righteously indignant. I didn't see anyone claiming to be the protagonist posting and explaining the other side of the story. I didn't even see any specific names being thrown around, so at this point even if there was a crime, there's no victim. So how about just giving it a rest?

It's tough for people who can only game during prime time to find a spot to farm in peace. There are places that are less likely to have random griefers drop in, but still, if you can only be on during prime time hours when the server is busiest, you have my sympathy. I'm lucky enough to be able to game during off peak hours so I rarely have to deal with griefers, and generally if company shows up in a spot where I'm farming, I just leave and do something else. I generally have a pretty long list of things I can do, so I very rarely, if ever, find myself in the position where I have to compete with others for a prime farming location.

L

Lord GOD(GOD)

Llewen, I last posted in this thread from the 27th Dec, on the 9th Jan, you bumping on the 24th Jan, quoting me and saying things like 'you just dont give up' and 'give it a rest', is, well, stupid. Especially when I'm replying to people like you, who jump on the argument of an argument of an argument over my original reply to the OP just to argue some more.

Empathy is polite lying. Fair enough be frustrated but realise 10,000 people saying aww isn't going to stop it happening again when you were wrong to think of it as yours to start with. Honesty is the best policy, and honestly the OP was outraged by something very believable, someone saw a good dragon and Tamed it, is ZOMG HANG THEM! GRIEFER/HACKER! a reasonable response? No. Thats my objection, not the frustration.

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
That depends highly on what you're empathizing with.
I'll grant you that one, but you were still being a nit picking clod in this thread - regardless of whether it was last year, or yesterday... :)

C

Celle

Similar things happend during the vanguard event...a warrior just killed a near max dread while I tried to tame it...

I was quite pissed off then, but well, all of us pay money to play the game, as a tamer, I got rights to tame, but as a warrior he got rights to kill...gotta realize that no one really own any spawning area even he/she is the first one arrived...

Don't worry, you'll find another good GD, unfortunately, not a chance for me to find a near max dread anymore...

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Similar things happend during the vanguard event...a warrior just killed a near max dread while I tried to tame it...
That's why I rarely farm if there is anyone else around. It's not because I'm wise, I just would rather not face that level of heartbreak, and I realize, as you have stated, that others around me have every right to play the game as they wish as well.

gortman

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sadly by the sounds of the OP's posts, the dragon was right in the temple itself, and IMHO that is almost asking for someone to come and mess with your taming. Unfortunately honor taming won't protect you from griefers - they can still attack and interupt your tames or kill the pet you're after :(

I decided that the best way to avoid other players causing trouble for me was to ensure they couldn't find me or the pet, so I always move keeper pets when possible. It takes a minute, but if the pet is that good and I worked the spawn for a while, I'd rather spend the time moving it than lose it ;)

Wenchy
Wenchy,

Do you use the herding skill to do this, or just have the animal/monster you're trying to tame target you and lead it off that way, trying to avoid getting damaged too much by the prospective tame?

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wenchy,

Do you use the herding skill to do this, or just have the animal/monster you're trying to tame target you and lead it off that way, trying to avoid getting damaged too much by the prospective tame?
In the case of greater dragons, or anytime I'm using a pet to beat the wild one down, as soon as I lore a spawned pet and decide it's a keeper I tell my tame pets to stop and follow and the wild pet then follows mine wherever I take it.

Otherwise stealth herding is great, but on my non stealthers I'll get the pet to target me and try to keep out of range of it's casting, popping back in range if it gets stuck on terrain or doesn't seem to be following me.

Sometimes you need to move other spawn out the way to get the beast you want, which is where stealth herding is most useful, but I've managed well by precasting invis, running to the pet I want and hitting my tame macro before running as fast as I can out of targetting range of the other spawn. That range when you know they'll pay attention to you in other words :). The surrounding spawn often doesn't target me as I run, and the pet I want moves out the group enough for me to lead it away. I'm over-explaining I think, but hopefully it makes sense :p

Wenchy

J

[JD]

I just do it the ghetto herding method: Attack GD, precast invis, and run like hell, pausing every now and then for it to catch up. If I catch too much aggro I self invis/heal and move them again after I'm ready to go

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I just do it the ghetto herding method: Attack GD, precast invis, and run like hell, pausing every now and then for it to catch up.
"ghetto herding", I like that... :thumbsup: