• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Unable to log in using the EC client

K

Kravick

Old returning player here. Decided to give UO another whirl again. Wanted to give the new 3D client a go but ran into a problem. The client won't go past the username / password screen. The button just stays grayed out when press it and nothing happens. Any ideas what I can do to fix this?

I have no problem using the classic client.

EM Dudley

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oddly enough I'm having the same issue. What are you running?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

K

Kravick

Oddly enough I'm having the same issue. What are you running?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
Oh, I forgot to mention that. I'm using Windows 7 64-bit. Intel i7 processor. Internet is 6mbps cable so bandwidth shouldn't be a problem for a game like this.

Gilmour

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
nVidia network manager and peer block are both known to cause these symptoms, make sure they are disabled or uninstalled :p

K

Kravick

nVidia network manager and peer block are both known to cause these symptoms, make sure they are disabled or uninstalled :p
Neither of these programs have ever been installed on my computer. I even turned off windows firewall and it still just hangs at the login screen. Button stays grayed out once pushed. No error message. Nothing.

Gilmour

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hmm, should be something blocking network traffic somehow.

Other possibilities:

You got an IP reference in hosts file you made that is no longer valid. (if you never applied one of these or no clue what this is, it is not that)
You security software is causing issues, either with identity protection or something similar. Try disable any element of it that could cause issues.
You got something to boost your net speed that is causing frictions.

K

Kravick

Hmm, should be something blocking network traffic somehow.

Other possibilities:

You got an IP reference in hosts file you made that is no longer valid. (if you never applied one of these or no clue what this is, it is not that)
You security software is causing issues, either with identity protection or something similar. Try disable any element of it that could cause issues.
You got something to boost your net speed that is causing frictions.
I have no idea what an IP reference is.
I had Avast installed at one point, but I uninstalled that months ago. Been using strictly Microsoft Security Essentials.
I have no net boosting software installed on my computer. I do have Net Meter installed. Its a simple program that just monitors how much data I sent and receive per month. It in no way blocks or shapes traffic. I have one of those ISPs that will charge you extra for going over a certain GB a month, so I need to keep an eye on how much data is used. One thing I have noticed, when I hit the login button, no data is being sent or received. The EC client doesn't appear to be sending data.

Gilmour

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I would try and disable MSE completely for a few minutes in attempts to trouble shoot.

K

Kravick

I would try and disable MSE completely for a few minutes in attempts to trouble shoot.
I already did this, actually. I had thought of doing just that as I was typing my previous post. I even uninstalled Net Meter temporarily just in case that was causing the issue. I enabled DMZ and opened all ports on my router (DMZ does this automatically but I wanted to be certain).

I found this thread Can't get past login on EC just installed. | Stratics Forums and have tried every single possible solution that was posted, with the exception of reformatting (not an option), with no success. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the client twice now. Each time taking up an hour of an half of my time plus 2-3 gigs of my already limited download amount. I have come to the conclusion that this client just simply won't work. I attempted to contact technical support but I am unable to find this "live chat" option that was mentioned. I don't have the patience to play email tag. I'm not sure what to do at this point. For now I'll have to stick with the classic client but the limited 800x600 viewing space is just too small on todays monitors.

Thank you for at least trying, though. I do appreciate you trying to help.

Gilmour

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Re-installing will not solve anything. Shame you can't get it to work.

Just check you got DirectX 9.0c installed, if you are running a Windows Vista or 7, as this is not in those by default. Though i don't think you would be able to launch the game if it was not installed.

K

Kravick

Re-installing will not solve anything. Shame you can't get it to work.

Just check you got DirectX 9.0c installed, if you are running a Windows Vista or 7, as this is not in those by default. Though i don't think you would be able to launch the game if it was not installed.
I tried that too. I downloaded the file from Microsoft and it just tells me that its already installed as part of the OS.

Gilmour

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ok, not sure what it could be really, when it still not work with the things you tried and stuff in the other thread.

Did you get an apache test page on http://63.117.29.33/ ?

Gilmour

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
any webpage, does it load or gives a timeout thing?

will say "Apache 2 Test Page" at the top if it works.

Gilmour

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Seems they changed the IP.

Could you try the following.

Open start menu
In search field (vista/7) or in the "Run" option (xp)
Type "cmd" followed by enter or "OK" whichever applies.
This should popup a command prompt window.
In which you type: ping 63.117.27.169
If all is well the connection is found and it reply with 4 lines of ping times as well as an average.
If all is not well it should say "request timed out".
If it is the case this this not work. You probably need to contact your provider of internet and hear them whats up with this.
And if all is well, there is something on your PC or router, blocking or interrupting this specific port and/or client it self.

K

Kravick

Seems they changed the IP.

Open start menu
In search field (vista/7) or in the "Run" option (xp)
Type "cmd" followed by enter or "OK" whichever applies.
This should popup a command prompt window.
In which you type: ping 63.117.27.169
Ping successful 4 times at 40ms each.

K

Kravick

So something on your pc or router is blocking the specific port the login server needs.

I would suggest try and make or check exception for uosa.exe and port 7777 in windows firewall.

Here the official guide on how to handle this
Windows Firewall blocks some programs after you install Windows XP SP3
Did this already. I have windows firewall completely disabled, used DMZ on my router and opened all ports etc., then unplugged my router and just connected the modem directly to my computer, turned of MSE, rebooted my computer to make sure all that stuff was off. Still just sits there at login with a grayed out button. When I had Net Meter installed it was showing absolutely 0 internet activity, period. The client wasn't even attempting to send information outward, let alone receiving any.

Gilmour

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hmm, running out of ideas here.

If its sending 0 data, its not an issue with your router tho, otherwise you would see a little bit of traffic.

Maybe your motherboard driver package has an inbuilt something to "moderate" connections?

Or go over your active services for anything restricting or limiting network. (find this in control panal - admin - services i think)

Could also try booting into safe mode of windows and see if problem persist. (make sure to do with networking)

K

Kravick

Hmm, running out of ideas here.

If its sending 0 data, its not an issue with your router tho, otherwise you would see a little bit of traffic.

Maybe your motherboard driver package has an inbuilt something to "moderate" connections?

Or go over your active services for anything restricting or limiting network. (find this in control panal - admin - services i think)

Could also try booting into safe mode of windows and see if problem persist. (make sure to do with networking)
I didn't recognize anything in my active services that would restrict traffic flow. Admittedly, I don't/wouldn't know what to look for.

Tried safe mode but the EC won't even start up. Says it can't initialize the hardware render thingy (I forget exact terminology) and the application terminates. Not surprising really since safe mode doesn't load video drivers. I tried looking up how to enable video drivers in safe mode but I found nothing that even suggests its possible.

I don't know anything about a motherboard package. All drivers were installed individually. Just the chipset drivers, onboard sound drivers, and the ethernet driver. My ethernet adapter is integrated and I get the drivers from Realtek. Thats all I know about it. Motherboard is an ASUS P7P55D. As far as the ethernet drivers, I've used two different driver versions attempting to trouble shoot. Neither of them worked, so I just stuck with the latest version.

K

Kravick

Ok, Am not sure excactly how to resolve this :(
Its alright. As I said before, I do appreciate your help.

I have one more thing I am going to try at a later time, though. Since I have 3 hard drives, one of which I am not really using at the moment, I'm going to install my old copy of Windows XP on it and see if I can't get the EC to work on a fresh OS install. I've been meaning to do this anyway for some of my older games that refuse to work on Windows 7. I probably won't be doing this any time soon though.

NBG

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
long shot but I ran into the same issue a long time ago and it turned out that EC has a password length limit while CC does not. If I remember correctly, it only recognize 16 characters for password.

Once I changed my password to 16 characters long I was able to log in,

lucitus

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
long shot but I ran into the same issue a long time ago and it turned out that EC has a password length limit while CC does not. If I remember correctly, it only recognize 16 characters for password.

Hehe this mistakes are happening ;) Nice you found that out.

K

Kravick

Does that mean my password has to be 16 characters long or that it doesn't recognize anything longer than 16 characters? My password is shorter than 16 characters.

K

Kravick

Ok, let me know if it work out.
After 5 hours of installing, downloading, patching, and setting up I now have Win XP pro 32-bit installed on my second HD. The EC works flawlessly. Same exact hardware configuration (second HD was already in this machine), driver configuration (32-bit instead of 64-bit drivers though), and everything. The ONLY difference is the OS. This has completely eliminated hardware, router, ISP, and even firewall (Windows Firewall is enabled) as possible problems. Seems like the ball is in EAs court here. I hate to say it, but given EAs track record on these things, I doubt there will ever be a fix for this problem.

Now if a developer, coder, or who ever wants more information on this problem I would be happy to provide the necessary information. I want this problem fixed as much as you do. I really don't like having to switch back and forth between operating systems like this.

Gilmour

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Try now guys, there was a patch that might have resolved the issue.