• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Ultima Online on Windows 10

Do you intend to take advantage of the free Windows 10 upgrade?

• yes

Votes: 53 79.1%
  • no

Votes: 14 20.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
For anyone wondering, both clients work, as far as I can tell, without a hitch on Windows 10, including UO Assist and UO Cartographer.

For anyone running Windows 7 and later, I would strongly suggest you set aside your copy of Windows 10 and take the free upgrade if it is offered to you. The upgrade process is fairly painless, and most things just work. For those used to either Windows 7 or 8/8.1, navigating around Windows 10 shouldn't be too difficult.

I'm still on the preview (beta) version, and there is still a significant amount of polishing to be done, but I have noticed a slight improvement in performance over Windows 7 x64. For those on older hardware Windows 10 takes less space on your hard drive, once you clean up the update files, and has a smaller memory footprint. It should run better on older/slower hardware than either Windows 7 or 8/8.1 does.

But the major reason to upgrade, in my opinion, is I expect support for both Windows 7 and 8/8.1 to end sooner rather than later. My feeling is that Microsoft is making a real push to get everyone on the same page in terms of operating system versions - hence the free upgrades, something unprecedented in Microsoft's history. And this is a full featured free upgrade that will upgrade you to the version of Windows 10 that is equivalent to your current version (Home, Professional, etc.).

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Well, I didn't even bother going into the whole Windows 2000/XP thing. If they are stuck with that, it won't be a free upgrade. I will say though that I remember quite clearly the huge improvement in performance I noticed instantly when I switched from Windows XP to Windows 7 x64. In my opinion, if you are running Windows XP and you can't afford to buy another version of Windows, you would probably be better off, and far safer, to install a Linux distro and run the classic client on WINE (although last I checked UO Assist didn't work on WINE, but my guess is there are ways of getting it to work, if not now, then soon, as Microsoft is making noises about making at least portions of the .NET Framework open source).

edit: It's also worth noting that I had my Windows 7 x64 tricked out and tweaked out to the max. For me to notice any improvement in performance at all, at this stage, is a big deal. And this is in spite of the fact that I had to uninstall my Killer 2100 NIC and go with the on board lan. I expect to notice an even bigger difference when VisionTek releases Windows 10 drivers for their Killer NIC's.

Last edited:

HoneythornGump

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
I'll definitely be upgrading all my machines to Window 10, though I may wait a month or two after the initial release, and let others deal with any kinks that may need to be worked out.

I have Windows 10 currently installed on a VM. So far it's looking good! I like being able to have multiple desktops open similar to linux feature...that was long overdue.

It was a good move on Microsoft's part to allow for the free upgrade. I think they're headed in the right direction and will gain quite a bit of ground in the coming years with other devices and having 1 platform to run all your apps from. It's going to be interesting what happens in the next few years following the release of Windows 10.

I'm all for improvement and advancement. Fun stuff! Looking forward to 10!

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
I agree with Honey...I did reserve my free upgrade but will wait until it's a little less buggy, as all things are when they first come out. :)

Ender

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I have a feeling most people that play this game are still on XP or earlier, lol.

I have the preview for 10 installed on one partition and love it, went back to using my 8.1 partition though because I kept getting driver crashes while playing Witcher 3.

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I am seeing the same thing you are Ender. The problems I am having with Windows 10 aren't so much with the operating system as they are with beta drivers and plugins for my browser, etc. Logitech software tends to be flaky at the best of times, but it is even moreso on Windows 10 than it was on Windows 7. I expect a lot of those issues, even the Logitech issues, to be fixed before long.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I am seeing the same thing you are Ender. The problems I am having with Windows 10 aren't so much with the operating system as they are with beta drivers and plugins for my browser, etc. Logitech software tends to be flaky at the best of times, but it is even moreso on Windows 10 than it was on Windows 7. I expect a lot of those issues, even the Logitech issues, to be fixed before long.
Well I hope they have stuff straight when Win 10 comes out or soon after. I use the Logitech G-13 for most every game I play... I'd be lost without it.

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I"m running Win7 SP1, and I don't see this little icon they claim i'm supposed to see, that you use to reserve your download ??

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I"m running Win7 SP1, and I don't see this little icon they claim i'm supposed to see, that you use to reserve your download ??
The little icon is a window down on the tray by your clock. I noticed it right away. When is the last time you updated your Windows?

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
upload_2015-6-18_23-22-25.png

If you don't have that, go to windows.com and see what it says there

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Already been there, that's how I knew i was missing the icon, which I still can't get. Windows also wont validate my install as genuine, which is BS. This is too much like UO, I never win anything :-(

Ashlynn_L

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You have 12 months to upgrade to windows 10 following release so you can always just wait six months - by which time most compatibility and driver issues should be resolved.

Seelendolch

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Xp was good, for its time, then vista turned out to be average, win 7 amazing, win 8 -what the?? was someone thinking... I wont worry about 10 for a while. Till I see if its a "vista" or a "7", i couldn't be bothered setting up a beta version, idk too lazy lol.

Aurelius

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
For anyone wondering, both clients work, as far as I can tell, without a hitch on Windows 10, including UO Assist and UO Cartographer.
How well does it handle running more than one of the same client at once? Events I ran would have been impossible without the ability to swap between characters of mine on different accounts.

Last edited:

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
How well does it handle running more than once of the same client at once? Events I ran would have been impossible without the ability to swap between characters of mine on different accounts.
From what I gather with Win 10 you can run as many as you like all on the same screen with one another if your rig can handle that.

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I am updating this at day one.
Loved 7, found 8.1 to be more stable and to use better the hardware resources of my laptop so I will jump right in into Windows 10. I am pretty sure there will be a performance gain from a core better design to make use of multi core processors, much akin happened between 7 and 8.
The EC will likely run without a hitch on it.

Bryl

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
I've noticed a performance improvement with 10 over 7, there are driver/program issues that companies need to sort out such as my Razer Synapse software will not run on Build 10130 of the beta. Also, I'm getting a memory read error when I log out of Windows but I expect these issues will be fixed before launch or shortly there after in the case of Synapse.

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
So the windows validation tool fails and says it can't verify if my copy is genuine. It tells me to run the diagnostics tool, which of course shows this. I deleted the unimportant stuff. Notice Line 2...

Diagnostic Report (1.9.0019.0):
-----------------------------------------
WGA Data-->
Validation Status: Genuine
Validation Code: 0
Product Name: Windows 7 Professional
Architecture: 0x00000000
Build lab: 7601.win7sp1_gdr.150525-0603
TTS Error:
Validation Diagnostic:
Resolution Status: N/A
Licensing Data-->
Software licensing service version: 6.1.7601.17514
Name: Windows(R) 7, Professional edition
Description: Windows Operating System - Windows(R) 7, OEM_SLP channel
License Status: Licensed
Windows Activation Technologies-->
HrOffline: 0x00000000
HrOnline: 0x00000000
HealthStatus: PASS
Event Time Stamp: 6:18:2015 23:37
WAT Activex: Registered
WAT Admin Service: Registered

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Well I hope they have stuff straight when Win 10 comes out or soon after. I use the Logitech G-13 for most every game I play... I'd be lost without it.
I use a G13. It works fine for the most part, and I've never had issues with it in game. It's just that the Logitech Gaming Software will start to lag after it's been running for a well, just the software, and then when I end a program sometimes the special keys and buttons on keyboards and mouse will stop working, and I will have to restart the software. But like I said, I don't think I've ever actually had a problem with it while the game was running.

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
So the windows validation tool fails and says it can't verify if my copy is genuine. It tells me to run the diagnostics tool, which of course shows this. I deleted the unimportant stuff. Notice Line 2...

WGA Data-->
I bought a copy of Windows 7 Ultimate from a friend, who bought a bunch of copies from China, then resold them. Windows 7 passes the genuine check, although I had to call in to validate it. However, it won't allow me to upgrade to Windows 10 for free, and I'm pretty sure it's because of the dodgy Chinese keys. This is on my sister's computer, and I'm thinking I will have to buy Windows 10 for her.

So the question is, where did you buy your copy of Windows 7? Also, Windows 7 Enterprise Edition, and Mobile Edition are not eligible for the free upgrade.

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
How well does it handle running more than once of the same client at once? Events I ran would have been impossible without the ability to swap between characters of mine on different accounts.
I have no problem running multiple clients.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I use a G13. It works fine for the most part, and I've never had issues with it in game. It's just that the Logitech Gaming Software will start to lag after it's been running for a well, just the software, and then when I end a program sometimes the special keys and buttons on keyboards and mouse will stop working, and I will have to restart the software. But like I said, I don't think I've ever actually had a problem with it while the game was running.

I've noticed this as well but even without Windows 10. I've also noticed that when I boot up the G-13 after I start Windows if it takes it a long time to load the settings then I generally need to wait till it's done and then exit and restart the software. I mostly have to restart it again if I'm doing some serious button mashing which I sometimes do when playing long sets in Diablo III. But a quick exit and reload seems to fix it. I keep hoping they will update it with something more stable.

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I've noticed this as well but even without Windows 10. I've also noticed that when I boot up the G-13 after I start Windows if it takes it a long time to load the settings then I generally need to wait till it's done and then exit and restart the software. I mostly have to restart it again if I'm doing some serious button mashing which I sometimes do when playing long sets in Diablo III. But a quick exit and reload seems to fix it. I keep hoping they will update it with something more stable.
Ya, Logitech hardware is awesome, but their software can be pretty awful. I like the fact that it's unified, and that one application recognizes and configures all my peripherals, but it has serious stability issues, and lots of little annoyances that just look like lazy development to me (ie. Why doesn't the app window remember where you place it on your desktop? Why isn't the app window resizable? Why does the "/minimize" switch not work?)? Anyway, definitely off topic here...

Obsidian

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Do you have to "reserve" your Win 10? The icon showed up on my Windows 7 machine. I'd like to go for it, but I want to install on a new SSD. My 128GB primary drive is now small by today's standard. I also want to wait about 2-3 months after launch so most of the kinks are worked out.

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Do you have to "reserve" your Win 10? The icon showed up on my Windows 7 machine. I'd like to go for it, but I want to install on a new SSD. My 128GB primary drive is now small by today's standard. I also want to wait about 2-3 months after launch so most of the kinks are worked out.
Well you can reserve it and opt not to install it right away on July 29. I believe that the upgrade will be free for a year after it's official release, for systems that qualify. But in my opinion, it's probably worth upgrading now, unless you have some really funky hardware you know there is no Windows 10 driver for. The update process is so painless, and once you get rid of the restore and backup files for Windows 10, Windows 10 actually takes less space and is friendlier to older hardware than Windows 7 is.

I'm not sure how it will work if you want to do a clean install, but in my opinion, this is the first version of Windows ever where I'd say that is truly not necessary, and probably a waste of time, unless you are installing it on a new computer.

I'd say the Windows 10 preview is only marginally more flaky than Windows 7. I had plenty of long term issues with Windows 7 that I had just learned to deal with - scripts to restart certain software etc. I think it's safe to say that I don't have any more of those kinds of issue with Windows 10 than I did with Windows 7. I have some of the same ones, and maybe one or two that I didn't have before, and a few that I no longer have. So it's pretty much a wash in terms of stability. I'm willing to bet that it won't be long before Windows 10 is significantly more stable, and faster, than Windows 7 is, and I expect I'll see that before the official release date.

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I doubt the Jurassics will update.

They will stick with their Windows 2000/XP. It's so much better.:p:rolleyes:
:rolleyes:

Jurassics will most likely update to see if WIN 10 is better than what they are currently running and go back to the old software we were using if it isn't, like we did with the software that got us that name. :D

WIN 7 was a decent OS built on the trash Vista OS, WIN 8.1 shows they are pulling their heads back out into the sunshine after releasing WIN 8. Hopefully WIN 10 still has the option to not put our private files into the cloud by keeping the ability to turn off the Onedrive feature. That Onedrive cloud setup has to be a major hacker target since every windows computer will be linked to it at least once a year per the new Windows licensing agreement. I prefer to keep my private files private.

Last edited:

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Hopefully WIN 10 still has the option to not put our private files into the cloud by keeping the ability to turn off the Onedrive feature. That Onedrive cloud setup has to be a major hacker target since every windows computer will be linked to it at least once a year per the new Windows licensing agreement. I prefer to keep my private files private.
I may be delusional, but I think I've successfully removed Onedrive from my Windows 10 system. In any event I am certainly not using it...

Ender

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Yeah it's totally possible to remove it. Not as simple as clicking uninstall but yeah.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
:rolleyes:

Jurassics will most likely update to see if WIN 10 is better than what they are currently running and go back to the old software we were using if it isn't, like we did with the software that got us that name. :D

WIN 7 was a decent OS built on the trash Vista OS, WIN 8.1 shows they are pulling their heads back out into the sunshine after releasing WIN 8. Hopefully WIN 10 still has the option to not put our private files into the cloud by keeping the ability to turn off the Onedrive feature. That Onedrive cloud setup has to be a major hacker target since every windows computer will be linked to it at least once a year per the new Windows licensing agreement. I prefer to keep my private files private.
Just don't use onedrive?

Ender

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Also yeah it doesn't automatically upload anything I'm pretty sure.

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There is a box I have to put a checkmark in during my WIN8.1 laptops setup process to not use Onedrive. Default is having it enabled. While there is a setup process to choose what goes into it, I can easily imagine that since the 'cloud' is supposed to be the 'In' thing these days, they could just decide to mandate it's use.

I got emailed a new Microsoft user agreement recently that says I will have to log in to *both* my computer's sign in email *and* Onedrive at least once a year or Microsoft will shutdown the log in account. That means I have to enable Onedrive and do it's setup process within that year or lose that email account and it's contents, so there will be no completely avoiding Onedrive.

G.v.P

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'll have to look into this...I wonder if you can upgrade from Vista for free? ;P

My main computer is a Windows 7 I built (4 GHZ octa-core), and my prior computer was a Dell dual-core with Vista. I do have a quad-core Acer laptop with Windows 7, though, that I'd like to mess around with. Like Obsidian, I'd want to consider SSD options prior to either changing my Vista desktop or Windows 7 laptop, especially now that you can buy a 1 TB SSD for under $400. My problem, now, is that I more often than not use my octa-core Tab Pro 10.1" than my old laptop; my problem is I have too much crap.

Well, if Windows 10 is as nice as Windows 7, I won't feel too bad about paying for it and working on a new rig should I miss the current window for the free version. I'm just glad I successfully avoided Windows 8 entirely, as that is why I built a Windows 7 machine. There were so many driver issues with Windows 8 and I just didn't want to bother.

I wonder if Windows 10 will have bluray support. That was one pitfall I ran into while installing an internal bluray player. I got it to work with VLC when I made it, but forgot I couldn't upgrade the program lol...then I gave up and bought an external 3D bluray player :).

Crimson Hawk Moth

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran

WGA Data-->
Validation Code: 0
Product Name: Windows 7 Professional
Architecture: 0x00000000
Build lab: 7601.win7sp1_gdr.150525-0603
TTS Error:
Validation Diagnostic:
Resolution Status: N/A
Licensing Data-->
Software licensing service version: 6.1.7601.17514
Name: Windows(R) 7, Professional edition
Description: Windows Operating System - Windows(R) 7, OEM_SLP channel
License Status: Licensed
Windows Activation Technologies-->
HrOffline: 0x00000000
HrOnline: 0x00000000
HealthStatus: PASS
Event Time Stamp: 6:18:2015 23:37
WAT Activex: Registered
WAT Admin Service: Registered
I was told by a Microsoft Rep ( I have an Action pack though Microsoft for Small Developers ) that the upgrade was going to be offered to people with pirated copies, so that shouldn't be effecting you. Now if you set your 'Network' to a Work network instead of home, that will cause it not to show up. That was to ensure that business with user bases didn't have their users upgrading to windows 10. That would be a pain for IT departments to have to deal with unexpected upgrades ;) .

Crimson Hawk Moth

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
I may be delusional, but I think I've successfully removed Onedrive from my Windows 10 system. In any event I am certainly not using it...
I use their Share Point service with a E3 level office subscription, its actually very handy to have the same Excel docs available on all my devices, without even the need to install Excel..... ( office365 E3 allows you to use their web apps, akin to googles office offerings).

Ender

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I think they announced that if you install the Windows 10 preview you can upgrade to the full release version for free using that same MS account. Pretty neat.

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I'll have to take back my recommendation that you upgrade now to the preview version. I've run into an irritating crash problem in one of my favourite games (Civ 5) that is probably OS/driver related. So it might be advisable to wait for the release date when hopefully these issues will be sorted. I also don't know whether driver updates will now come through Windows update, or whether the most recent drivers will come from the vendors, as was the case with previous versions of Windows. One thing for sure is that none of the vendors for my hardware are offering driver updates for Windows 10 on their websites.

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Given years of experience running versions of Windows, I'd say wait to the last month or at least WIN 10 Service Pack 1, the snafu fixer update. :rolleyes:

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Well, I learned something today. It appears that if there if Windows 10 isn't mentioned specifically, you can always try the Windows 8.1 drivers for whatever product you are installing. And if you hit an install snafu running the installer as administrator might be the answer (right click on the install package and choose run as administrator - not the compatibility administrator setting). I have my Killer 2100 NIC back! Woohoo!

Kirthag

Former Stratics Publisher
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
I have a spare rig I set up to test Windows updates before applying to my primary gaming machine.
If the update/upgrade gets snafu'd, I just reinstall with a flash bu.

If you don't have the hardware, I'd wait for the 10.01 update... always better that way.

And yeah, testing the 10 and not putting it on my primary gaming machine for a bit.

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Well, I have everything backed up with Todo Backup. It would be pretty easy for me to revert if I needed to, even now. But at this point I'd say I'm committed...

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
So is Win 10 more like Win 7 or Win 8? Win 7 was easy to use and Win 8 was a pain in the you know where.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
So is Win 10 more like Win 7 or Win 8? Win 7 was easy to use and Win 8 was a pain in the you know where.
It feels more like Windows 7 in some respects, but expect a dose of the good parts of Windows 8. They also are taking a page out of Linux's book and allowing multiple desktops.

Oh and Cortana... Cortana is worth the upgrade alone.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It feels more like Windows 7 in some respects, but expect a dose of the good parts of Windows 8. They also are taking a page out of Linux's book and allowing multiple desktops.

Oh and Cortana... Cortana is worth the upgrade alone.
TY
More questions
Can you have multi users signed on at the same time like before Win 8

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Can you have multi users signed on at the same time like before Win 8
I'm assuming yes, but I don't know for sure.

I will say this though. In less than two weeks after upgrading to Windows 10, my system is as tricked out and tweaked out as it was on Windows 7. That is pretty impressive considering it took me years, literally, to get Windows 7 tweaked out and working as well as it was before I upgraded to Windows 10.

ALL of my systems work. I got the last two, my Killer NIC and RAMDisk working a couple of days ago. My only problem right now is that two of my favourite games, Civilization 4 and 5, aren't working. I got pretty far into a Civ 5 game but it started crashing and I couldn't get past that point.

Before anyone starts laughing, Civilization 4 and 5 are pretty demanding games, in terms of hardware. They max out my cpu, gpu, and video and system ram. I've used both of them as tests of system stability when I installed new hardware, or was doing something like overclocking. So it's not a big shock that they are causing problems. However, I'm pretty confident the issues will be fixed. My guess is they are driver issues, and because this is the preview version Microsoft is paying more attention to the automated error reports than usual.

But UO runs flawlessly, as does every other program I've tried, with those two exceptions. So I bought Civ 3 Complete for $10 on Steam, and I'm having fun with that. I had forgotten how many terrific mods there are for Civ 3. :)

Piotr

Stratic's Finest
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Awards