• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Turkey advice

• Thread starter Cantabrigian British
  • Start date
  • Watchers 2
C

Cantabrigian British

... anyone got any advice on killing giant turkeys? What is the minimum amount of people needed to do it? I can't seem to with me and one other person.

Farsight

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Number of people needed to kill a turkey: 1

Template needed to kill a turkey: Music, provoke, 4-5 other random skills.

If you can't do that, then take a mage or an archer and hit-and-run.

It's possible with a warrior, but that involves lots of running around to heal, and is slower than any other method.

V

Victoria Navarre

If you can't do that, then take a mage or an archer and hit-and-run.
How to do that with a non-melee mage? I tried my hand at one turkey and I was dead in seconds. I would precast RC and drop it right in front of the turkey. I would then run off 2 screens or more,but the turkey would pull me right back to it. Seems its teleport has no range limit.

Vlaude

Lore Keeper
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
How to do that with a non-melee mage? I tried my hand at one turkey and I was dead in seconds. I would precast RC and drop it right in front of the turkey. I would then run off 2 screens or more,but the turkey would pull me right back to it. Seems its teleport has no range limit.
Any followers (whether summoned or tamed) will create a continuous pull until it is called off or dead/dispelled. In order to use hit and run tactics to kill one you'd have to use target spells. I've heard empty private plots work well for archers and casters too since the turkeys get stuck on the other side. But a high-skilled bard is definitely the best choice for fighting them.

Farsight

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Don't use anything but direct damage spells.

No fields, no summons, no pets, and definitely no poisons!

I once lethal poisoned a turkey, and I couldn't get away from the turkey at all until the poison expired.

No bleeds, no spell plague, no... well, I suppose you get the idea.

Anything you do to damage it from a range except for direct damage brings you to the turkey. Also, if you damage a turkey when there isn't a direct path from you to the turkey, you get sucked in.

And the turkey has a chance of moving at random one tile every time you hit it (ranged or otherwise). This is a poor counter to the fact that it's absurdly easy to hang a turkey up on a house.

Vlaude

Lore Keeper
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Don't use anything but direct damage spells.

No fields, no summons, no pets, and definitely no poisons!

I once lethal poisoned a turkey, and I couldn't get away from the turkey at all until the poison expired.

No bleeds, no spell plague, no... well, I suppose you get the idea.

Anything you do to damage it from a range except for direct damage brings you to the turkey. Also, if you damage a turkey when there isn't a direct path from you to the turkey, you get sucked in.

And the turkey has a chance of moving at random one tile every time you hit it (ranged or otherwise). This is a poor counter to the fact that it's absurdly easy to hang a turkey up on a house.
Mmmm... I've used plenty of poison and fire fields and have not been sucked in so I'm not exactly sure if this is true or if changes were made after I did it.

Edit: I just tried fire field, poison field, poison (spell), and bleed attack and stayed on screen with the turkey during and long after the effects of each and was not pulled in once... Not that any of those are very effective though lol. Use them at your own risk?

Lynk

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I had decent results on my sampire, I had to off screen occasionally if I heard the EQ coming and was already below 3/4.

C

Cantabrigian British

Thank you for all the feedback. After reading all the advice I only have a couple questions.

1: I was trying the vengeful spirit spell, and that seemed to be the only pet that didn't get me pulled in. Though it was slow to damage, it didn't get me sucked in. Maybe I was just lucky though? Has anyone else used that spell on it?

2: What is an: EQ ?

C

Cantabrigian British

So, after 2 REAL LIFE hours, my girlfriend and I finally brought down a stupid turkey. I found the best magery spell to use is mind blast.

Wow... Really? over 2 hours? Is that really worth it? Any way, I took a screenshot of us over the stupid bird if anyone really wants to see it.

I do thank Farsight especially for the advice. And for anyone listening... I suggest a high amount of patience and the mind blast spell.

ziggy29

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Summoning spells will do that. You need to use direct damage spells, not ones that summon. Mind blast is a good one because cold seems to be the turkey's weakest resist.

Also it appears that if you and the turkey are on opposite sides of the fence, any attack on it will pull you into it (and on its side of the fence).

V

Victoria Navarre

Also it appears that if you and the turkey are on opposite sides of the fence, any attack on it will pull you into it (and on its side of the fence).
I wonder if I place down a couple of energy fields between my character and the turkey and toss out an EV or RC,that the energy field would "catch" me and keep me from being right next to it.

Gildar

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've heard empty private plots work well for archers and casters too since the turkeys get stuck on the other side.
Making a creature get stuck so that it has no way of getting to you while you can still damage it is considered an exploit, and GMs might take action against your account if you do this.

Vlaude

Lore Keeper
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Making a creature get stuck so that it has no way of getting to you while you can still damage it is considered an exploit, and GMs might take action against your account if you do this.
You're right, don't do that anyone. :)

Lynk

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I saw a turkey outside my tower last night so I logged on my sampire to give it another run.

I used a 100% cold hatchet with 30 ssi, hml, hsl, hla, hll.

This thing was incredibly easy. I was doing AIs for 190 per, and for the rare time when I couldn't AI the damage was pretty high naturally.

I didn't even have to move when I heard the EQ coming.. just AId and leeched through it.

Flutter

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
I saw a turkey outside my tower last night so I logged on my sampire to give it another run.

This thing was incredibly easy. I was doing AIs for 190 per, and for the rare time when I couldn't AI the damage was pretty high naturally.

I didn't even have to move when I heard the EQ coming.. just AId and leeched through it.
Trammy.

C

Cantabrigian British

What is "AI"?

V

Victoria Navarre

I tried my hand at another turkey just now and...I am done with them. The devs made them so anti-mage(caster) that it's almost pointless to try to kill them on anything except a tamer and a sampire. So,when will xmas start in UO?

Lynk

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I tried my hand at another turkey just now and...I am done with them. The devs made them so anti-mage(caster) that it's almost pointless to try to kill them on anything except a tamer and a sampire. So,when will xmas start in UO?
What a shame. You mean you can't stand still from a safe distance and cast the same spell 600 times to kill it?

Zosimus

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Since the new publish is close and turkeys will be done soon I'll say you are wrong one part of this. When the devs added the turkeys there are some classic house styles that caused these buggers to get stuck. Was not a customized house but a classic house. I found this out by accident when they first introduced them. I did PM a dev last year and they still do it now. It must not be a game stopping issue if they havent fixed it this whole time.

Customized housing and trapping on purpose I can see as an exploit but a classic style house and the devs were told about it and still happening is not an issue in my book. They allowed it to continue.