• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Trouble with trapped chests....

G

I'm a gm tinker, and I've been trying to make some poison trapped chests (and dart trapped chests, but haven't tried with this type yet) for a player run event coming up soon. Every time I make one and trap it with poison it tells me to enable the trap i must lock the chest. So i lock the chest, and have a char on a 2nd account try to open it, but i simply get the message, its locked and nothing happens. If I un-lock the chest, then it disables the trap and anyone can open it.

How, do I set it so that anyone who tries to open the chest will get hit with a dart or poison?

I know it must be facing a specific direction.

G

I've been having trouble making Dart Traps.

I tried making 50 tinker traps and GM tinker traps.

It just keeps saying "it appears to be locked". I unlock it and I disable the trap. It tells me to relock it and I will reset the trap... so I relock it. It says I re-enable the trap, meaning it should work. Nothing.

I set it on the ground and pick it back up. Nothing. I trade it between toons. Nothing.

Anyone have any ideas?

G

I thought I read somewhere that we were not going to have to lock the traps anymore..."like the old days"? To set the trap off you have to pick it. Not use the key. Try that

G

Do u by chance have any idea if u need a GM lockpicker to pick the lock?

I made a small crate and dart trapped it. I have a lockpicker at 92.7 and she can't seem to pick the lock.

This is frustrating but gives me something to think about

G

if your carpenter has GM tinker then yes. What ever the tinkering skill is for the carpenter that made the chest thats what the lockpicking skill is required to be....or close to it

V

Valley Boy

<font color="blue">It's all in the direction.

Make the chest, turn it, trap it, lock it, turn it.
When it's ready it should hue yellow I believe.

That's from memory, which fails me a lot, but that should be it. </font>

G

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

So then it will unlock when you turn it? you said trap it then lock it. Trying to find out how to have it unlocked to put it on the ground in Tram

C

Connor_Graham

"Trying to find out how to have it unlocked to put it on the ground in Tram "

I wouldn't suggest doing this. It's a quick trip to bansville if someone reports it to a GM.

To the OP-

If you're making the dart trap boxes for breaking para, use a Tinker with only 40 skill (minimum to make this trap), otherwise the damage amount will be too high and you could actually end up killing yourself. 40 Tinkering allows for only 5-15 damage if I remember right.

To answer your other question, if you make the trap with a GM Tinker, then you need GM Lockpicking to pick the lock. In order for the box to be unlocked, it must be picked and not opened with the key.

G

out of curiosity I made a dart trapped box with my GM tinker. My mage has 104 hits points and the box took her down to 6 points. Not something you would want to use on a character just to break para.

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
dont use gm tinker use 40 skill tinker gm is max damage and could kill you

C

Connor_Graham

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

Can someone please give a little bit clearer direction than this? Nothing hues yellow and I can't remember for the life of me how I did this before. I've been trying to help a friend of mine to make one for his char, and I can't figure it out. Last time it took me a couple of hours, and I really don't want to spend that much time on it again lol.

G

That's funny, I wasted a lot of time last night, figuring this out for myself. I see I'm not the only one confused. Tis quite tricky!

My lowly carpenter made the wooden box (one that needs 10 logs/boards....the cheapo one). Leave it unlocked.
I bought tinker skill to 32 on another char (you only need 30 tinker to make it but prepare to fail a few times. Same char can probably work.), then I had put dart trap on the wooden box (use tinker tools, 1 ingot, 1 crossbolt).
Then use the key to lock the box so that it arms.
Here's the part we all forgot...... Take the box and use a lockpick on the locked box and it triggers the dart trap for low damage.
Using the key again will disarm it, so just keep it locked and chuck the key away. You can keep using the same box &amp; lockpick over and over.

Note: Don't make a crate.....it will break the lockpick.

*Come to think of it, this might be a nice way to train healing skill since you can take damage, then bandage.