• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Lock Picking] trouble lockpicking gains

K

Kaz13

Hello. old player returned about a month ago. Its seems gaining lockpicking has changed alot since i've been gone. I bought the skill to 30 and made a couple boxes (tinkering 89). I saw no gains. I read a little bit here and made a char with 30 tink and another at 50. I cant seem to make any gains what so ever. Any advice or direction would be great. I tried for over 2hours with no gains.

Silverbird

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Strange ...
The greatest change is now, that you dont need to switch chests for gains.
At lower levels I did fine with locked treasure chests.
- lvl 1: try to pick up a locked barrel/keg from a bank or gypsy camp
- lvl 2: try to get a locked paragon chest from a monster, that normally drops lvl 1 t-maps (earthies for example)
I followed that route up to lvl 4 paragon chests and around 92 lp. I havent been able to gain from a lvl 5 chest yet.
You might/should also be able to gain on chest that spawn with brigand camps. Theres usually a good bunch of them on new haven.
You should expect to break many lockpicks on my route. *g*

(I cant help you too much on the tinkering chest route for lp. I dont like training a skill without earning something with it.)

C

Capt.E

I loaded up with lockpicks, got a miasma chest and last obj, last targ it to death. I am pretty sure I hit 85 skill like this. Then the fun began :). There are some chests in hyloth that gave me decent gains, but I really didn't get anymore than ggs gains. GM crafted boxes work fairly well. It's a real pain though. You make like 20 or so boxes with GM carp and tinker then lock them all and pick them. There are keyrings by the way and I highly suggest using one for all your keys. Next object in the macro gump helps here. (just don't do it in your house) you have to make new boxes when gains slow down, which I know sounds funny cause it's already lethargic. I eventually just did a ggs gain whenever I logged on because I gave up on doing it in less than a month.

L

Lord Drakelord

Hello. old player returned about a month ago. Its seems gaining lockpicking has changed alot since i've been gone. I bought the skill to 30 and made a couple boxes (tinkering 89). I saw no gains. I read a little bit here and made a char with 30 tink and another at 50. I cant seem to make any gains what so ever. Any advice or direction would be great. I tried for over 2hours with no gains.
Before they broke the anti macro 8x8 Lock Picking was a item base skill to gain. Which means that you could not gain off of the same target over and over. You had to switch boxes in order to get gains in the skill.

Today that has changed but you still need to work the skill as before using tinker made chests/boxes of the skill level. At 30 Lock Picking you should work boxes at 35 tinker till you hit 50 in skill. Then move to tinker boxes made at 50 skill.

Sometime the old ways is still the best way. If there is a Pubic Lock Picking house on your shard you might drop in and check them out. On Sonoma ours is due north of the Vesper Bank, [Tram] Look for the THB on the roof.

Good Luck with your training.

K

Kaz13

thank you all for the replies. It seems it was my house that was the issue. I was working my skill up inside my house, like have done other skills. I didnt even think that would be a issue until Capt.E reply... i tried that and Bam. it works. I have 2 Miamsa chest to be opened so hopefully the gains will be fast :) thanks again for the replies

I have not heard of a LP house on the Nappa shard.

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't think being in your house really matters. I have run lock pick houses in my house for years and trained the skill up quite a few times testing techniques in my house.

Unless there was a new code added???

Silverbird

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
RNG sometime does really weird things. Some ppl report from time to time that they start gaining after a break after crossing a serverline/changing subservers. This could fall into the same cathegory. (Assuming that Kaz not only left his/her house but also the subserver where his house is located.)

Leira of Asrai

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The easiest and quickest way to finish lockpicking is to do it in the Twisted Weald.

Find a Satyr and attack it. It's best to do this from a distance.
Let the Satyr play a song of Discordance on you, causing all of your stats/skills will drop.
Immediately exit the Twisted Weald through the sparkly moongate and re-enter.
Your skills will remain lowered. Use your GM boxes to raise lockpicking as before.
Stay within range of the Satyr and you will remain discorded, but will not be attacked.
If you find a Paragon Satyr you can be discorded even more, making raising the last bit even easier.

The Twisted Weald entrance is located in the Mushroom Cave in Ilshenar, just northwest of the shrine Spirituality.

You must first have the quest to Dreadhorn in order to enter the area; the quest giver can be found in Heartwood. I don't remember his name though, sorry.

S

Scarab

This might go without saying, but make sure you don't have negative karma if you go to the Weald or else you'll get smoked by the pixies

Nine Dark Moons

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i have a quick question... all the skill training guides always say to craft boxes when your tinker skill is at specific points. my question is: since carpentry is the skill actually used to craft boxes, does your carpentry also have to be at those same levels? or can my 50-skill carpenter train her tinkering up to 70 (for example) and then craft some boxes that my 60+ skill lockpicker can use?

ok, i think i found the answer in a different thread - basara wrote that the chest lock intensity is based on the tinker skill not carp skill... thanks!

F

Fingers of Cats

I'm at 25 skill and can't gain on ANYTHING! I have tried 25 tinkering skill, 30, 35, 40, 50, 70 and so on, NOTHING not a single .1 and I have 150 free skill points! Even went to Hawkeyes house to train LP on Catskills and NOTHING!

EDIT: Well I just went over and created a toon with 50 cart and 50 lp and SS over the skills onto my rogue (after SS off some rogue skills) and went back to Hawkeyes... I'm gaining now... .7 in the last minute. Still not sure what happened at 25 but I guess you gotta get over that hump!

L

Lord Drakelord

I'm at 25 skill and can't gain on ANYTHING! I have tried 25 tinkering skill, 30, 35, 40, 50, 70 and so on, NOTHING not a single .1 and I have 150 free skill points! Even went to Hawkeyes house to train LP on Catskills and NOTHING!

EDIT: Well I just went over and created a toon with 50 cart and 50 lp and SS over the skills onto my rogue (after SS off some rogue skills) and went back to Hawkeyes... I'm gaining now... .7 in the last minute. Still not sure what happened at 25 but I guess you gotta get over that hump!
Buy skill up to 30 from the thief guildmaster, or go to the vesper bank and open the kegs, crates in the back room. That will get you pass the 25 hump.