• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Treasure Map

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
hehe, you better nip along to the UHall thread and let some of the doubters know there's 'something sweet' to actually get.
I'm still getting my head around the new look - and I wished I'd known updating every shard's rune library listing was going to be a waste of effort. :D

Logrus

UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hey patch notes didn't exactly say "Phat Lewtz" but there was artifacts, gold, resources and "better stuff".

I shouldn't have to tell them about the rocket propelled grenade.
(Beside that'll just create competition for me getting em myself... mwuhahahha)

Gheed

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
1st lvl 6 chest:

tokonunu

Spawn (gaurdian)
rune beetle x2
lady of the snow
elder yamonutsu

loot
19 diamods
6 essence of dilligence
lvl 6 arti bag (heart of the lion)
alclarity scroll (taming)
recipee (luckblade)
wand (lightning)

18 junk items that must have had held more sentimental value than monetary to the person that buried it.

I like the scrolls and regs from the old chest loot tables.

Primary spawn has a gaurdian tag and bounces back to the chest... nice! Secondary spawn has no gaurdian tag and can be lead off... boo!

The maps are helpful now that spawns are random. But it doesn't look like a t-map. it looks like a snapshot of the overhead map. Odd that whomever buried this had time to draw a full color map of a wide area in such vivd detail.

So far i have the same opinion... "meh" I cant imagine why anyone would want to bury this treasure and call it lvl 6. A strong 2 or weak 3... but definitely not a 6.... save the gold. And the guardians were easily dispatched with a few ev's... definitely no ancient wyrms.

I'd like to see some resource caches other than imbuing. Someone burying commodity deeds bearing their hard won rare woods or ingots. I hope 6 essence isn't the norm for a lvl 6. I'll do a few more.

T

Trevelyan

Waaaaaaaaaaaah :( Ilshenar maps spawn!

*screams bug, exploit, unintended feature that needs a fix.. etc, etc*

Gheed

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
lvl 4 chest:

malas

Spawn (gaurdian)
elder gazer x2
daemon x2

loot
13 emeralds
4 essence of diligence
recipe (elven armoire (fancy))
wand (harm)

17 junk items. mods were a bit better than the previous lvl 6 chest i did.

Gheed

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
lvl 5 chest:

tram

Spawn (gaurdian)
lich lord
blood ele
poison ele x3

yes this chest had 5 gaurdians.

loot
16 tourmaline
5 essence of balance
mana phasing orb (the arty may be marked by a fifth guardian)
Tasty treat
wand (healing)

22 junk items. again a lot of the armor pieces appeared to have no extra mods on them at all.

Gheed

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
lvl 6 chest:

malas

Spawn (gaurdian)
rotting corpse x4
wanderer of the void x2
devourer of souls

7 gaurdians

loot
19 amethyst
6 essence of achievement
mana phasing orb
skeleton key
forged scroll of pardon
blaze of death (lvl 6 arty)

20 junk items. Done for the night. Overall I'd say the changes were pretty lackluster so far.

Logrus

UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think the RNG has decided to have some fun.

Some strangely higher and strangely lower drop rates in those few chests.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Logrus:

Interesting T-Map changes, about half for the worse, IMO. Speaking as a THB Guildmaster, here's what I think.

Good changes:
1. New Items
2. New Locations
3. New Guardians (for the ones outside Tram/Fel, at least) that function like the old Youthful map guardians (require you to kill the guardians to loot)
4. improved chances to pick the high-end chests.

Bad changes:
5. New items, from reports, do not include Peerless ingredients, and those are the ones that are needed THE MOST to be added to the Chests. Everything BUT peerless ingredients are already easy enough to get.
6. New Locations will be near-impossible to find without mining. The fact that the new locations AREN'T the old ones makes this even worse.
7. They should have left the spell regs, and added the regs for Mysticism to the list - not remove them. (I won't miss the scrolls, though).

Ugly Changes:
8. The new maps will be a bit easier to find, if unattractive - but this will be negated severely by the needing to be exact on the location.
9. The idea of losing items from picking failures doesn't sit well with me, considering that some level 5 & 6 chests can take 20-50 picks to open (that's 20-50 TOOLS, and about 100 failed checks). The chances to pick are supposed to be improved, but that better be a Substantial improvement, given the risk.

Suggested Changes:

A. Add the Peerless ingredients at a HIGHER chance of a drop than the SA ingredients, and restore the casting regs (adding the mysticism regs). I'm not the only person I know that prefers to supply their scribes and alchemists from chest and monster loot, and it's downright silly to add big piles of regs to Gypsies, while taking them from the chests.

B. Make the tracking in on the T-maps work like the Turkey nest maps, so that we know when we're within a screen or so of the spot, and can use the messages to get closer.

C. Add a bonus to the digging distance for Cartography, or let us tell when we are close to the map site because of our superior mapping skills (say, Cartography/20 squares, minus the level of the map - so that a GM Cartographer could dig up a level 3 map from 2 squares away). Have this instead of, or in addition to, the Mining bonus.

D. Frankly, I think the whole carto/LP soulstone swap method should be done away with for templates (after all, the THB charter from before soulstones required that to be a member, a character had to possess both skills). The changes as-is will only encourage it more. By adding C. above, it will make more people likely to keep both skills on their TH at all times. Cartography shouldn't be a "only used at home to decode, then soulstone off" skill.

E. Suggest bringing back the "Youthful Treasure Maps" of the old new character quests, for the "New Player Packs" you mentioned. These were level 0 maps, with non-aggressive Chest Guardians (low end undead) that had to be killed before you could loot, and the chest always contained another Youthful map. The old ones still work for "Young" characters, prior to this publish, at least until you get one that's in the now-gone parts of Haven's island.

And, a few questions:

1. How will existing Ilshenar and Youthful maps (both currently rares) be affected?
2. Are there maps in the Lost Lands in the new system? And, if the answer is yes, will it be possible for a chest to be located in the middle of a Fel champ spawn (or Ilshenar and Tokuno spawns, for that matter)?
3. How will picking player-made locked boxes (as most of us used to train LP) be affected?
4. How will impossible-to-dig spots (and you know from experience this will occur) be resolved? For that matter, how about a fix for the still-spawning SOS locations that are blocked by the Underworld entrance?
5. Any ETA for improvements to SOS chests?
6. Can you isolate and fix the bug that sometimes causes level 2 maps to have explosion traps twice as powerful as levels 5 & 6? about 1 in 15 or so level 2 maps I do will have a trap that does over 100 (sometimes as much as 160!) through 70s resists, while riding a swamp dragon.

Lastly, (unrelated to the current publish) Any chance on restoring the parts of Haven that SHOULDN'T have been removed by the destruction of the main city, in a future publish? Specifically, the cemetary (though without undead, since there are plenty enough in the ruins), the standing circle, the pyramid, and the spot where the one former dev's hammer still remains, now buried under the terrain? Thinking about the old Youthful Treasure Maps has gotten me nostalgic for the parts of the Haven landmass that got changed for no reason during that changeover...

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Interesting T-Map changes, about half for the worse, IMO. Speaking as a THB Guildmaster, here's what I think.

Bad changes:
5. New items, from reports, do not include Peerless ingredients, and those are the ones that are needed THE MOST to be added to the Chests. Everything BUT peerless ingredients are already easy enough to get.

I totally, wholeheartedly, undoubtedly agree.

I have been saying it for years now that Peerless ingredients needed to be added as spawn to Treasure Chests, they do a treasure hunting revamp and what do we see ?

Imbuing ingredients added but not Peerless ???

Excuse me ?

I sincerely hope that the Developers will make further adjustements and add all Peerless ingredients to the list of ingredients that can spawn in Treasure chests.

6. New Locations will be near-impossible to find without mining. The fact that the new locations AREN'T the old ones makes this even worse.
Well, I personally see this as a good change, not bad. This is a treasure hunting activity and so, the chest need to be found and an effort be done to locate it. Recalling to a fixed spot and digging it up was ridicolous, IMHO.

7. They should have left the spell regs, and added the regs for Mysticism to the list - not remove them. (I won't miss the scrolls, though).
I agree, but only for lower level chests. Although, to make a 100% LRC suit is now cheap and so even new players have little need for reagents.

Still, reagents are still needed to scribing and alchemy and so, having a steady source for them, even if only in lower level chests, would not be a bad idea.

9. The idea of losing items from picking failures doesn't sit well with me, considering that some level 5 & 6 chests can take 20-50 picks to open (that's 20-50 TOOLS, and about 100 failed checks). The chances to pick are supposed to be improved, but that better be a Substantial improvement, given the risk.
Perhaps what we need is the possibility to further gain lockpicking and thus, reduce the fail rate ?

Suggested Changes:

A. Add the Peerless ingredients at a HIGHER chance of a drop than the SA ingredients,
Yes, absolutely.

and restore the casting regs (adding the mysticism regs). I'm not the only person I know that prefers to supply their scribes and alchemists from chest and monster loot, and it's downright silly to add big piles of regs to Gypsies, while taking them from the chests.
Yes also, but I add just for lower level chests.

B. Make the tracking in on the T-maps work like the Turkey nest maps, so that we know when we're within a screen or so of the spot, and can use the messages to get closer.

C. Add a bonus to the digging distance for Cartography, or let us tell when we are close to the map site because of our superior mapping skills (say, Cartography/20 squares, minus the level of the map - so that a GM Cartographer could dig up a level 3 map from 2 squares away). Have this instead of, or in addition to, the Mining bonus.
Yes, definately hints that one is in the correct area should be added.
I would say that Cartography and mining should be made to add cumulative aid. That is, having both will provide a larger area of aiding information range.

D. Frankly, I think the whole carto/LP soulstone swap method should be done away with for templates (after all, the THB charter from before soulstones required that to be a member, a character had to possess both skills). The changes as-is will only encourage it more. By adding C. above, it will make more people likely to keep both skills on their TH at all times. Cartography shouldn't be a "only used at home to decode, then soulstone off" skill.

I agree, incentives should be given to players to keep their Treasure Hunting skills on their template on when doing Maps.
Not make it mandatory not to upset other players who may want to dig the chest up without them, but definately provide sound incentives one way or the other so that those who sacrifice skill points to maintain sound treasure hunting skills on their template at all times will see sound and nice rewards for that.

E. Suggest bringing back the "Youthful Treasure Maps" of the old new character quests, for the "New Player Packs" you mentioned. These were level 0 maps, with non-aggressive Chest Guardians (low end undead) that had to be killed before you could loot, and the chest always contained another Youthful map. The old ones still work for "Young" characters, prior to this publish, at least until you get one that's in the now-gone parts of Haven's island.
Well, this I do not know. Lower level Maps are not that much difficult to do, even for a new player.

I am surprised, though, that you left out from your list of bad changes the fact that over the tests so far done it seems that items (weapons, armor and clothing) still is referred to by players as "junk".

This, because the intensities keep being way too low, even in high level chests.

At least sporadically, especially since the combination of modifiers is random (most often mods mix up is not usefull), there should be a chance to really high intensities on the items spawned up in treasure chests....

Bazer

Slightly Crazed
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
From a Clevery in Ter Mer.
3 Kepatch guardians
2 other guardians (forgot name, small anoying poisning beasts)
Another Ter Mer Cleverly Map (about 50 feet from original spot lol)
Creeping Vines
20k gold
4 essence in precision
Skeleton key: 10 charges (?)
Dagger: SC, 20- Skill, fc-1, DI 31, 100% Poison Damage (Good litttle dagger)
and no wand.

just hate the festering effect from the kepatch, it keeps killing and killing and killing even after dead and rezzed

Krinkle

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Suggested Changes:

A. Add the Peerless ingredients at a HIGHER chance of a drop than the SA ingredients, and restore the casting regs (adding the mysticism regs).
The last thing that I would want is more Blight and Muculent. These are pretty worthless to me.

After seeing the complaints about the low level or odd item property combinations, a question I have is:

Is luck going to affect the contents of the chest?

T-Hunt

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Remove mining from T hunting...i dont see were it should come into play anyways..

Your digging a hole in the ground , not looking for shadow or valorite ore..

Let the distance you can dig the chest from go by your cart. lvl..

And i think that the random area is greath, all facets. but as for loot ..NO its garbage..

I can get beter killing mongbats...(sarcasime)

Please dont make it that i need to lvl LP to 120.....people dont need another power scroll skill....

actualy add a few power scrolls to chest be nice...

T-Hunt

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
OK for some reason maps are not showing completed by the T hunter...

This may be a problem for people who sell maps on vendors, since they can sell maps that have already been completed by someone ..

And you would not know until you buy it and dbl click it...then it says already done ...

aoLOLita

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Is the treasure chest loot upgrade only for T-Map generated chests - or for dungeon spawned treasure chests and miasma/paragon ones as well?

N

Nastia Cross

Please put back in the reagents and make sure there is a chance for all types of regs to spawn.

N

Nastia Cross

Also, change the Forged Pardons so that a player can only use one per day and after use will immediately go into 50% stat and skill loss for 20 minutes. This will still allow players that want to go blue to get their faster but stop anyone from using the pardons to grief other players.

L

Liquid_Ape

My Tram maps all decoded in the water. Ter Mur and Ilshenar decoded over land. Perhaps I just don't know what I'm doing.

Shelleybean

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've completed three maps on Test Center and so far I love the changes!!! I have a question about decoding maps though. The publish notes indicate that after 30 days, all maps will need to be decoded again. Does this mean that after the 30 days, decoding a map will be a map for a random facet? Also, can paragon guardians spawn in Ilshenar?

N

Nastia Cross

OOH do the maps now show as an actual image and not a hard to decode drawing?? Sweet... *dusts off soulstones for a t-hunter*

Logrus

UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The map guardians in ilshenar shouldn't spawn as paragons.
I was sorely tempted, but maybe I'll just make exploding goats instead.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
The last thing that I would want is more Blight and Muculent. These are pretty worthless to me.

Ah, but I'd forego everything else in the chest if it meant getting a few Taint. I doubt I've had as much as 100 taint, total, from all my Peerless from 2006-2010 (and of that <100, never more than 20 at any given time).

Pinco

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
probably the paragons are too much for high level treasures...

But the exploding goat could be a great change to summon creature spell! :D
Imagine: you summon a kamikaze creature that run and explode against a target :lol:

Nyses

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Paragons would be great in Ilsh. :) Goats would be SWEET!!!, How about Engorged Flatulating Goats, they Explode when Damaged. :) Damage and specials are up to you, be gentle. Or Enraged Engorged Goats, that Charge and Explode on Impact.

Please put an Ilsh Only thing in the chests when you do this. Shirt with saying, Goat milk Cheese, a Pargon Mirror (Use once item, can turn a creature in Ilsh paragon, subject to current rules)

Shelleybean

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I completed a level 2 map in Malas and received another level 2 map for Malas inside the chest. I though the maps in the chest would be one level higher?

Barry Gibb

Of Saintly Patience
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
:sad4: I was really hoping for the chance of paragon spawns. Maybe you could just lower their chance at being a paragon?

Stayin Alive,

BG

Barry Gibb

Of Saintly Patience
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Bad changes:
I agree with Basara on this change. I think it is a poor change to Treasure Maps. The reagents add alot of value to the chest, and make it more desirable for many more templates. With the reagents in it makes mapp more appealing to do for Alchemy, Inscription, and those of us who do not use LRC. I can also donate them to the Library. It was only a few stacks per chest, please put them back in.

Stayin Alive,

BG

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You didn't tell people to check the loot on the guardians for goodies did you?? :D

Krinkle

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ah, but I'd forego everything else in the chest if it meant getting a few Taint.
Yes, I would mind some more Taint too. However, having to pop 6300 chests just for the chance at a few Taint would be nothing more than frustrating. Also, if the amount of loot stays the same and they added more types of loot to them then the percentage of any specific item per chest will be lower. This may, or may not, be a bad thing depending on the person.

T-Hunt

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
After trying to do another 8 maps...

Found the spots np at all but could not find the chest to dig it up?

Also 4 out 8 had houses ontop of the spots...this is Tram and Malas so far..

I did not have any problems fiding and siging the maps up the other day, only today..

i Have 100 mining...one was actualy in Vesper grave yard..now thats sweet..

Shelleybean

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've received a few treasure maps inside the chests and none of them are one level higher. I don't know if it's a bug or if the publish notes are incorrect.

Krinkle

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've received a few treasure maps inside the chests and none of them are one level higher. I don't know if it's a bug or if the publish notes are incorrect.
I don't think the patch notes meant that every map found in the chest will be higher. Just that there is a chance that the map will be one level higher. The wording is a bit vague though.

Shelleybean

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't think the patch notes meant that every map found in the chest will be higher. Just that there is a chance that the map will be one level higher. The wording is a bit vague though.
Hmm I think you're right!

Nyses

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I FINALLY got a map out of a chest, that WAS one level higher. I got a 4th level Map out of a 3rd level Chest. That was the first map in 4, that was a higher level, the rest were the same level.

What about level 6 chests, can we get a 7th level map out of them? Ya ya, I know we cannot.

One other osbervation, Why even have recipie scrolls int he chests? They are beyond worhtless now, as every crafter already has every scroll, and there is NOTHING that can be done with them other than eat them. Take those out and give us Regs back, please.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
most of the maps I've gotten in the chest have been the same level, but I did get one higher.
Actually, I dug a level 2, got a level 1 map off the orc mage [guardian] and a level 3 map out of the chest :D

Oh and speak for yourself on the recipes. There's a couple of smith recipes on Europa and 2 smith and one tailor on Siege that I never did get my hands on :D

Nyses

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Petra, what are you going to do with the Hundreds if not thousands of recipies you get that you have already eaten, or are for another skill completely?

Would it not be more effective to just go do the Heartwood quests, specific to the scrolls you are after?

The point though, every reg has a use, or you can sell em back, the Scrolls are for the most part just garbage, as you cannot even sell them to an NPC.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Actually, I don't expect to ever get those scrolls. I don't have the patience to sit in Heartwood for days on end trying to get them, not to mention having enough cloth/ingots to do that many quests. They're obviously the rarer ones.
You're right of course, most of them will end up dropped into one of the guardian's corpses, just as most of the scrolls are now. But some people will want them. Some people will be training new characters, or stoning skills to characters that haven't read them.
It's wrong to assume that, because they're no use to you, they're no use to anyone else either.

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
I actually will not mind getting them at least for a while as I don't have the patience to do the heartwood quests anymore