Trammel Home owners...a question or two.

• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Aug 12, 2001
Siege Perilous
mobile-cuisine.com
So how many of you keep your home open to the public?

And of those of you that do, do you have your house designed so that only a select few can get into the main portion of your home?

Just curious...

Oh, and how many of you use the detect hidden skill before you unlock anything in your homes. Just trying to get a feel for what to expect if I do make a visit or two to some production shards.

Thanks...la

Dragkiris

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Jun 14, 2008
Rico of the homes that are open to public its about 50/50 as to who has set the door to anyone or just friends. But remember the spellweavings gift of life will let you kill yourself, walk through there door and res up. And NO ONE uses detect hidden in tram before they unlock something.

G

Goodoljoe

I got all unlocked and open to public i trust the good will of people

Dragkiris

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Jun 14, 2008
And before a certain mod locks this thread I would like to say that if she does lock it, it would be a slap in the face to Rico. This is a mmoRPG and he is simply role playing a thief. Real thiefs often take advantage of peoples trust so there is no reason to hate on him for roleplaying a true thief.

G

Gwendolynne

Rico of the homes that are open to public its about 50/50 as to who has set the door to anyone or just friends. But remember the spellweavings gift of life will let you kill yourself, walk through there door and res up. And NO ONE uses detect hidden in tram before they unlock something.
It has been stated before that this is an exploit. I will do a quick search to see if I can find it for you.

Safe journeys!

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Aug 12, 2001
Siege Perilous
mobile-cuisine.com
Well, here's the thing. If this type of information cannot be asked here...in public. I'd be curious to know why it was that so many of Galad's adventures were able to be posted here? (when he/they were still making them)...la

Lady Arwen

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Aug 7, 2008
Legends
lol, I keep my keep open to the public and everyone can acess all parts of it. And yes I use detect hidden almost all the time before I unlock anything. I have a museum right next to my keep that the first two floors which are display are open to anyone but the top two floors only people I friend can enter. :O

Rotgut Willy

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oct 27, 2008
Buccaneer's Den
My house is private. All secures are accessible by co-owners except for one, which is accessible by friends.

Only 1 person is co-owned and he's an RL friend.

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

Most public houses still have secure containers...but I suppose you might grab something if you were fast enough when someone took something off of lockdown to move it.

An ingenius idea! And in the spirit of a real thief.

However, the devs should look into a 'Texas Justice' system for these types of situations (anyone in your house is killable to you, even in Tram).

C

Canucklehead73

Well not that it has anything to do with thieves really, but I do have my "stuff" in a seperate room accessed by a owner only teleporter. I figure with all the bugs and exploits you hear about it is better to be safe than sorry. :gun:

C

Capricious

Frankly, I find this disgusting and completely anti-community. That's just my opinion and folks can always agree or disagree.

I've always used the DH skill to check before unlocking/locking anything to prevent someone from taking something.

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Aug 12, 2001
Siege Perilous
mobile-cuisine.com
However, the devs should look into a 'Texas Justice' system for these types of situations (anyone in your house is killable to you, even in Tram).
I miss the days of players turning grey when entering someone elses home. It was great fun trying to talk someone into entering a home filled with 3 or 4 hidden mages with flame strike precast.

Me: Hey you...(talking to a player who is walking past the house). Wanna see something cool?

Them: Umm, ok...but what is it?

Me: It's hard to explain...I have it locked down in my house over here.
ROFL...la

N

Nestorius

Sometimes when I redecorate my Trammel house, I'll unlock all my chests and not secure them until I get a final arrangement. It saves time.

X

Xclio

Yeah it would suck to have happen to you but it is the true spirit of a thief, a thief is not a stand up person they are decieving and must be to be sucessful at what they do.

It is your option to leave your house open to the public and potentially your own undoing if a thief finds his way in to get ahold of some goodies :)

K

KoolAidAddict

Most public houses still have secure containers...but I suppose you might grab something if you were fast enough when someone took something off of lockdown to move it.

An ingenius idea! And in the spirit of a real thief.

A 'Texas Justice' system would mean they would be killable after doing something illegal in your house, as entering a "public" house isnt illegal. Now once someone takes anything in your house, it might "flag" them and then make them available to such "justice", but if that were so, it should require the stealing skill so as to flag them.
Also lets get something going that allows us to report such intrusions/theftings, and have them on a "most wanted" list, or an APB list or some such so as to have them jacked upon sighting by guards or able to be hunted by skilled detectives. Perhaps even doing something with these lost skills!!

And to your ? rico...... my atlantic house, all private, one guilded storage reachable from the outside.
(I too know of the spellweave "trick", but making teles instead of doors solves this)

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

Yeah it would suck to have happen to you but it is the true spirit of a thief, a thief is not a stand up person they are decieving and must be to be sucessful at what they do.

It is your option to leave your house open to the public and potentially your own undoing if a thief finds his way in to get ahold of some goodies :)
I agree completely. But the home owner should have the ability to kill the thief if they catch them in the act. No?

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

A 'Texas Justice' system would mean they would be killable after doing something illegal in your house, as entering a "public" house isnt illegal. Now once someone takes anything in your house, it might "flag" them and then make them available to such "justice", but if that were so, it should require the stealing skill so as to flag them.

Thing is, why would the thief risk using the stealing skill instead of just picking the item up off the floor or whatever.

Just make anyone inside your house killable to you.

W

Wilde1

Yet another Rico post demonstrating why pvp thieves have lumpy heads from repeated whacks with a nerf stick.

If you want to steal from other players in fel, no problem IMO. Thats how the class was intended. I agree that enjoyability for that aspect of the game has been greatly decreased for thieves over years past. Thieving in Fel should be more permissive and offer more opportunity. If that happened, however, it just means that even fewer people will play there. Most folks who live in fel or go there to hunt are not looking for pvp, but understand the risk of having to fight other players (eg, for champ scrolls).

Stealing from trammies in their homes or joining guilds in order to loot them, that's just being an obnoxious human being. Hiding behind the guise of "role-playing a thief" doesn't make it any less so.

Setnaffa

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sep 13, 2004
California, USA
My Trammel Castle is open to the public, but the doors only allow friends to open them. All containers are set to friends only..

My Malas House is open to the public and the bottom floor is completely accessible to anyone. I have secured teleporters to the upper floors where everything is secured for friends only.

My Fel house is private.

X

Xclio

I agree completely. But the home owner should have the ability to kill the thief if they catch them in the act. No?
I have nothing against someone having the ability to kill the thief, anyone that isn't granted friend or co-owner status should flag grey to the house owner upon entering the house then it is up to the house owner to kill the offending player :)

The Craftsman

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 14, 2008
*clears throat*

This is neither a spiel, nor a rant.

Why did it get moved from UHall?...la
Its not a spiel nor a rant. You asked a perfectly legitimate question. Some of the mods on here however seem to have the IQ of as grapefuit and are prone to this sort of thing. If any single one of them can explain the move then go ahead and try. But I doubt it.

Aran

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Apr 1, 2000
SOME of?

Heh, I think you need to pay more attention.

T

T_Amon_from_work

Rico - I have a place in Malas. It is open to public, without vendors, but with secured/locked private areas as well.

And I'm just old-school enough to use DH! C'mon if ye have the stones! :D The Dark Side (prodo) awaits you!

Farsight

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 12, 2008
Cats/Europa
If I unlock anything, I always use DH first.

I have a public house. Even before lockdowns, my house was public. I didn't store anything back then. Now i have a section of my house which is accessible only to me. My valuables are kept there.

And thanks to this thread, I'm going to remove the door to that area and replace it with an owner-only teleporter.

And still use DH when I have valuable things to unlock.

C

Cat Crimson

I don't know what Trammel house owners do. I have never owned houses in Trammel. Only Fel. And some of those either public, running vendors or ( since AoS ) partly so. With all those I have used a wary eye and common sense, and usually do any moving or restocking at unsocial hours when there is hardly anyone around. Which given the state of things these days is pretty much 24/7 now :/ I have used DH sometimes. Is it just my imagination or did it used to be, once upon a time, that DH was not 100% success rate if used in your house ?

I guess if gods forbid I ever owned a house in Trammel I would still do the same.

B

Bara

I keep my house public. I've always thought it was kindof ******** to go to the lengths of making an awesome house then keep it to where noone can see it. Especially in freaking Trammel.

However, I do use detect hidden if I am moving around something of value. In extreme cases, I will set the house to private, then use detect hidden before doing major rearanging.

Old school tendencies are strong. :)