• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Training stealth and hiding

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've just started training hiding and stealth, just to give them a go more than anything.

With regards training are there any tips for faster gains?

Currently I have a macro that does the following:

hide - 12 second delay - into stealth - 10 second delay

Then repeat a few times. As you can imagine its taking quite some time!

Reason for the long delays is I get the message "you must wait a few moments before using another skill" if set to anything lower.

Will this time shorten as the skill level increases? So I can go from hiding to stealth faster.

Are there any other ways to quickly train these skills?

(Sorry if this is posted in the wrong section, I couldn't see the skills listed in the other categories.)

Any tips would be appreciated.

EDIT - Reading through the stratics skill guide post it says "If you start walking while hidden you will automatically attempt to stealth if your skill is 25 or more." this doesn't seem to work for me. I have to launch the stealth skill first before I can move.

Mirt

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I've just started training hiding and stealth, just to give them a go more than anything.

With regards training are there any tips for faster gains?

Currently I have a macro that does the following:

hide - 12 second delay - into stealth - 10 second delay

Then repeat a few times. As you can imagine its taking quite some time!

Reason for the long delays is I get the message "you must wait a few moments before using another skill" if set to anything lower.

Will this time shorten as the skill level increases? So I can go from hiding to stealth faster.

Are there any other ways to quickly train these skills?

(Sorry if this is posted in the wrong section, I couldn't see the skills listed in the other categories.)

Any tips would be appreciated.

EDIT - Reading through the stratics skill guide post it says "If you start walking while hidden you will automatically attempt to stealth if your skill is 25 or more." this doesn't seem to work for me. I have to launch the stealth skill first before I can move.
There is a guide somewhere that has the time to put on NPC bought armor that will help increase it, only I can't seem to find it right now. It doesn't get any easier and is one of the many things that I haven't bothered to fully train up because of how much of a pain it was. Hiding the macro method you mentioned is pretty much the only way of going.

Gorbs

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You'll gain hiding skill as you walk around when it does the re-check after however many steps your stealth allows. I think someone else posted that they train hiding using shadow jump.

rwo001

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
travel with the public moongate to hide yourself to save the time

go to luna -> active stealth
go to umbra -> active stealth

James [W^H]

Slightly Crazed
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have trained Stealth and Hiding on two characters and found that a Crystal Ball of Knowledge is a good item to have with you. Training in a house or within 1 tile of a house drops your correct skill gain level and you have to compensate by what you are wearing. You can also get to the best skill gain levels at any time by adjusting what your wearing and using jewely to change your actual skill. It also helps to stealth around other players and change areas of training. I found the guides on training to be a little off on what to wear and at what skill to change. The Crystal Ball of Knowledge will always let you know if you are setup correctly. Just by working the Stealth skill, you will GM hiding in a short time.

Katrena

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Good tips above. About the only thing I can add is specifically for hiding, stealth is just a grind imo... set macro for hiding using spacebar as hot key. Even when you are yakkin' to friends you are gaining :)

K

kleos

you do not use the skill, just move and it automatically activates. it gives a hiding check so you can gain hide and stealth from it.

Adrianas

Sage
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
As you gain in the skill, you will need to add heavier and heavier armor. And yes, a stealth check is made when you shadow jump. So, start wearing just clothes and slowly add more and more armor until you are up to a ringmail suit with a plate helm.

Two places I've trained stealth - (1) walk from Trinsic to Britain or (2) walk around the walls in Trinsic. Every time you are revealed, stop, hide again, and then start walking. It's a grind yes, but later on it's mighty nice to stealth your way out of a nasty dungeon, a crowd of pks, or what have you.

Mac

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Howdy,
Remember, you can always hide in your house even without the hiding skill, so if you are working hiding, it is considered a success and does a skill check for gain.

This is off UOGUIDE, (and covered stealth)
Training Alternative

Adapted From Charity on uopowergamers.com

0 - 30 Buy from NPC

30 - 57.4 Leather Gorget, Leather Gloves

57.4 - 65.0 Ringmail Glove, Leather Sleeves, Leather Gorget

65.0 - 84.5 Ringmail Gloves and Ringmail Sleeves, Leather Gorget

84.5 - 95.0 Ringmail Gloves, Ringmail Legs, Leather Tunic, Studded Sleves, Studded Gorget

95.0 - 100 Leather Legs, Chain Tunic, Studded Gorget, Leather Cap

100 - 120 Chain Tunic, Ringmail Arms, Plate Gorget

All items are bought from NPC characters.

When training my hiding and stealth (and I just did it about 2 months ago), would be in my home, I would hide, and then activate stealth. Didnt have to even take a step while stealthing, then rinse, repeat. You can do it all without ever moving, and without ever failing hiding cause you are in your own home. I used the info above as to what armor to wear. It worked, I'm at 100 hiding and 80 stealth (they say you do not need more than 80 in stealth, allows for 8 steps).

Good luck my friends,
Mac