• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Training Resist Spells question

F

francis

I realize this is probably a really dumb question, but i'd rather look dumb than dead lol.

Can't i just make a guild and cast spells on my GD to raise his resist spells skill? Or would he aggro and eat me or something?

Thanks in advance for any info you can provide.

Metalstorm

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
More experienced tamers will probably chime in to verify or correct me..

If you make a guild and use the 'guard me' and 'stay' command you should be fine.

Note: you only need to cast level one spells such as 'weaken', 'feeblemind' and 'clumsy'.

Another method is to sick it on spellbinders in Haven but you have to give it the 'stop' 'follow me' commands fast before it bites and swallows the spellbinder.
About 6-8 spellbinders at a time usually does the trick.

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There are two straightforward ways of training resist on pets. Both work faster if you can disco the pet, but I haven't found it a horrific skill to train without disco :)

You can get your pet into a spawn with lots of low level casters and tell it to stop/stay or stop/follow. I love the reaper/imp spawn in Ilsh for this as the reapers are usually quite static. You may need to invis to ensure everything targets your pet, and you'll obviously have to keep him vetted up. Note that these monsters will run out of mana and you'll get better results if you keep killing the groups whenever you notice them popping tiddly spells. Just watch you don't take on too many casters at a time ;)

The second method is tell the pet to stop and stay, then cast on it. If you're in Tram, you might need to start with a guard command so you can cast on him, just say stop and stay after guard and that should work. I tend to train in Fel so I can't remember how I did it in Tram last time heh.

Wenchy

Farsight

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Another quick way to train resist is to first train wrestling then take your pet to work champion spawns. Undead and Demon spawns are great for this since spellcasting monsters are in every level. The problem then is keeping your pet alive, but that's good practice. Right now my new dragon is up to 109 resist and I gain a few points in every spawn. It's a lot slower than spellbinders in New Haven, but faster than "all guard" "all stay" and clumsy spam.

F

francis

TY very much for the responses, this answered all my questions :)

EnigmaMaitreya

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Another method is to sick it on spellbinders in Haven but you have to give it the 'stop' 'follow me' commands fast before it bites and swallows the spellbinder.
About 6-8 spellbinders at a time usually does the trick.
This is how I do the Resist and max out Dex/Stamina.

I just use a hotkey

----------------
say All Kill
waitfortarget
lasttarget
delay .1)
say All follow me
----------------

Or something very close to that. On occasion the pet ... teleports to the spellbinder and it is toast. *shrug*

Takes a Greater Dragon about 1.5 hours to cap spell resist and dex/stamina, with 6 to 8 spell binders.

I am still looking for a good mob to raise Magery and/or EvalInt on.

pacific cruiser

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
For training EI i found trapping the swoop on the rocks where your animal cant reach him and letting it go from there raises EI quite well.. i have gained alot doing it this way for my greater drags and as we all know that swoop loves to run to the rocks after you kill it a few times....

EnigmaMaitreya

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
For training EI i found trapping the swoop on the rocks where your animal cant reach him and letting it go from there raises EI quite well.. i have gained alot doing it this way for my greater drags and as we all know that swoop loves to run to the rocks after you kill it a few times....
Oh, I agree swoop in the rocks is a great find ... but then along comes the Jerk that insists your cheating and proceeds to kill Swoop and keep on killing. In short, my experience is this method is extremely Iffy ...

The Casting Riding Pets ... I can engage a Shadow Ore Elemental at the Mine Entrance and park the Rideable Pet in the one slot opening between the Ore Cart and the structure and the back wall by standing in front of it (closing the square). This has problems if and when one of the Mobs start attacking through the mine walls (no damage but compels the pet to forget what I say and attack through the mine wall (doing no damage of course, well heck doing nothing but a staring contest).

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I would suggest avoiding any pet training methods that involve blocking monsters. There's really no need to do this, and it's also pretty similar to blocking pets in a home stables for training - i.e., I think you could get your wrists slapped by a GM for it if you got a grumpy one.

My favourite monster for training eval/magery on is rotting corpses. They last long enough for the pet to get plenty of casting done, the poison will encourage a caster to cure itself and they don't do a ton of damage in the process. If I ever find a sticking point finishing off a pet's training, I take it to play with rotters.

Wenchy

R

RichDC

You can always take your pet(works on all but GD) to swoops get them discorded on the satyr(beetle/bake i did this on til i got bored) drop guild and let them have at each other, or keep guild and try to keep them vetted till they go blue, they will raise both resist eval and magery while taking 0 damage...unfortunatly you cant raise wrestle this way...they need to take damage for that.

also a hint that some tamers will disagree with, once your pet has GM med dont discord to train magery hell gain faster due to the faster MR.

U

uoBuoY

also a hint that some tamers will disagree with, once your pet has GM med dont discord to train magery hell gain faster due to the faster MR.
Well I'm one! Magery gains a whole lot faster at 72.0 than it does at 100.0. You may need to take Med breaks (refresh the Martini, snacks, bladder, etc). No, I haven't scientifically tested it but it "feels" correct.

One other aspect of Disco-training...in the past I would only use Disco-training once the pet's skills where fairly high. I don't know why I never thought of it but but a few years ago I started Disco-training right after bonding. It is incredibly fast.

EnigmaMaitreya

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
*Shrug*

I tend to avoid Disco. I am not at all convinced that the gains are all that much, if any faster than just letting them train at their current levels.

I use the Shadow Ore Elementals a lot. I tend to bring one to the entrance and then beef it up with a pet in need of training from the ground floor. When the Ele hits 80+ in its skills I then bring in the pet I really want to train.

If I have a Casting Rideable pet that needs to raise magery and / or evalint I put them in the box and let them practice spell casting while the real pet in training is on the Elemental.

I have two accounts and two computers side by side so I take advantage of duel purpose uses like that as much as possible.

If the GD's are giving me trouble raising a skill(s) I just head on over to the Ogre Lord Island and let them work it out there. That tends to bust any blocks in skills raising. Nothing quite like having 3 Ogre Lords pounding on the Greater to get things moving.

I finaly worked out a process for the RC's and the Cu's healing to 100.0

U

uoBuoY

*Shrug*

I tend to avoid Disco. I am not at all convinced that the gains are all that much, if any faster than just letting them train at their current levels.

I use the Shadow Ore Elementals a lot. I tend to bring one to the entrance and then beef it up with a pet in need of training from the ground floor. When the Ele hits 80+ in its skills I then bring in the pet I really want to train.

If I have a Casting Rideable pet that needs to raise magery and / or evalint I put them in the box and let them practice spell casting while the real pet in training is on the Elemental.

I have two accounts and two computers side by side so I take advantage of duel purpose uses like that as much as possible.

If the GD's are giving me trouble raising a skill(s) I just head on over to the Ogre Lord Island and let them work it out there. That tends to bust any blocks in skills raising. Nothing quite like having 3 Ogre Lords pounding on the Greater to get things moving.

Just curious, have you actually tried the Disco-Training technique (at 120.0 Disco) for pets?

EnigmaMaitreya

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just curious, have you actually tried the Disco-Training technique (at 120.0 Disco) for pets?
Yes, it is how I did my First Cu to 100 Health. It took longer than doing it the way I do now.

In terms of the GD's, the Dread Warhorse, Mares, Runics, I just don't see any significant improvement vs a SOE at the correct Skill level vs the pet. I let one of my GD's in training run the entire 4 hour's in the evening vs a SOE, GD disco'd and the SOE at full Skill, as far as I am concerned, the GD gained at a slower rate than I see just letting them fight the SOE normally and I do not lose the training opportunity on the 2nd account. As my Real Bards are not Tamers.

I am not saying Disco doesnt work, I am saying it has no real value/merit to me ....

R

RichDC

I definatly think the melee skills gain faster but im no way convinced about the mage skills. Pet magery works differently from our magery, it doesnt matter what spells they cast(30mage pets can cast flamestrike) its the volume of casts. So by having GM med they can cast alot more and more sustained.

U

uoBuoY

...I have two accounts and two computers side by side so I take advantage of duel purpose uses like that as much as possible...
I have a similar setup (2 comps & 3 accounts) and it's terrific! Multitasking is great. I put mining on Tamer A. He digs up a Shadow L and sics pet on Shadow L. Tamer B sics weaker pet on Shadow L. Tamer A starts mining and moves his pet along the mountainside as needed.

M

Miss Ghost

I have used the Shadows at the Mine entrance to train EI and Magery. I don't use the cart gap though. Stand your pet well back from the Shadow, when it is already being tanked by another pet, then tell your pet to 'all kill' followed immediately by the 'all stay' command. They will stay in place away from the Shadow and will have no alternative but to attack with spells only. I defy anyone to say this method comes under blocking, as the Shadow may well target your beastie next if the tanking pet leaves.

This is still horribly boring and I honestly prefer at that stage to just get out amongst the nasty beasties and use the pet.

EnigmaMaitreya

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have used the Shadows at the Mine entrance to train EI and Magery. I don't use the cart gap though. Stand your pet well back from the Shadow, when it is already being tanked by another pet, then tell your pet to 'all kill' followed immediately by the 'all stay' command. They will stay in place away from the Shadow and will have no alternative but to attack with spells only. I defy anyone to say this method comes under blocking, as the Shadow may well target your beastie next if the tanking pet leaves.

This is still horribly boring and I honestly prefer at that stage to just get out amongst the nasty beasties and use the pet.
Thanks I had not connected the combination of commands and it should solve the stupid attacking each other through the walls. I have a Mare on the one account that is going to be a long haul up on Mage and EvalInt. My Greaters are all Trained but I may just have a Cu sitting in the Stable with Great Resists and Stats, but no color (doesn't matter to me but it does to others ...) and maybe I can just work em up together.

I would not consider that blocking either and I would not consider the Cart Blocking either as there is a 0% chance the SOE (or any wandering Ele's or dragged Red Guys) will target the pet, they never do for me, they choose ME :(

But first, My Crafter (I wont make 2) is at 98.6 on Carpentry and I want her to be able to work stone (My Miner can mine Stone). I advised my cat it would be best if he stayed away from the computers for a few days to a week as this is really ticking me off. I Really do not think much of the skill up algorithm they have in the game now. Power Hour was certainly a lot more game friendly and entertaining. You skill up for an hour, then go play the game. Not like now were taming is the pits for skill up and I go through maybe 2K boards or more per skill up, which means my Miner/LJack is doing Mind Numbing Mass LJacking, just to keep her in boards.

Tonight I am going to fill her Beetle up with boards and another Beetle with boards, take her to Twisted W and get her Disco'd to see if I can not just get an end run on the last skill ups. if it works I will buy her two Pack Horses and just keep them full till she GM's.

As to the get out and play amongst the Nasties, yeah I agree, but it is an internal flaw, with in me. If I am unaware (as in the bad old days) then I am just fine as in ignorance is bliss. If I have the information, I am going to look at it and when you fight a couple dozen Ogre Lords, Ancient Wyrms, Greater Dragons etc and your pet doesn't gain squat, then I start to get irritated with the game mechanics which gets me looking to other games (which, as a generalization, have their own issues, so .... I am still here). So I take the lesser of two evils. None of this says I am right or my way is better, it is just the issue/problem as it effects me.

O

Old Man of UO

*Shrug*

Interesting. The disco method works best for me.

I've trained a couple dozen cu sidhe and a few other pets, mostly to give to friends and to sell. All but the last two cu sidhe were trained without discord, and the last two cu sidhe were trained with discord. What a big difference, at least for mine.

On average, it took some 24 hours to train a cu side up to 100/100/100/100/ and 90 healing without discord. That's about 20-22 hours (give or take) for fighting skills and healing, and another 3-4 hours to GM resist.

Using discord on my pet cu sidhes, the training time went down to less than 10 hours total (6-8 hours fighting and healing skill, and 2 more hours to GM resist). Not only that, the healing skill went to 98.5 during that time. Maybe I could be more efficient, but the discord works really well for me.

What I would like to know is what you "worked out" to get healing skill to 100 so fast. That would be interesting information.

U

uoBuoY

...Power Hour was certainly a lot more game friendly and entertaining. You skill up for an hour, then go play the game...
I definitely agree with you about PH. I (fairly) easily finished practically all skills on 2 accounts once PH was brought in.

The problem with PH was it eroded the players' sense of "Community". A lot of players, me included, didn't "...skill up for an hour, then go play the game...". I had 12 chars to train, each with his own personal PH every day. For quite sometime after PH was added, me and a LOT of other players, did nothing but skill-up...very little player interaction. We would skill-up, collect some resources, skill up another char, rinse and repeat. Moreover, everyone was able to create a full set of crafters which ended a lot of player interaction and interdependency.

I was able goggle that Power Scrolls were introduced in July, 2002 but I couldn't find any info on the removal of PH. All I found was a patch note for 2001 describing some changes to PH so I don't know and can't remember if the two overlapped. Any one know for sure when PH was pulled?

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
This is a crazy thing but you know your pet can gain to GM+ resisting spells the same way everyone else does......
Take your pet to New Haven and get a whole gaggle of those spellbinders.... tell your pet to all kill then say all stop... (of course you have to be sure to say all kill when your pet is fairly far away from the spellbinder.... but I have found that if you get roughly 6 spellbinders to 8 your pet will GM+ Resist in under an hour or two.... I took my GD to 118.6 Spell resist this way... He wanted to chomp them pesky little spellbinders really bad but I kept telling him to follow me and to stop then to follow me again every few moments .... and before I knew it he was capped.....

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
Drop him off on the roof of a cemetery. Once everything targets him, tell him to "stop." Thereafter, he should remain non-agro and allow the spawn cast on him.

Samaira

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My favourite mid-high level training mob has always been the Sphynx... high hp, high magery and an acceptable amount of gold. The gains can be a little slow, but at least you're making coin while you're doing it :p