• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Training 2 Slot Pets Up to 5 Slots - Who's Excited About This!?!

Eric Ravenwind

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Did you all read this info in the last statement from Mesanna? Well, it says that pets that take 2 control slots, will be able to be trained up to 5 control slots!

I'm sooo excited about this! Just think - 5 slot Nightmares, 5 slot Hiryus, 5 slot White Wyrms! OMG! I'm so pumped about this.

Just a bit curious as to how the pets will be upgraded: Increased HP/Mana, Increased Resists, Increased Skill levels - or a combination of all. I wonder how this is going to change the current pets.

Anyone want to speculate about this?

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
5 slots rune beetle will be interesting.
And I am hoping that they let us tame dread spiders as a 2 or 3 slots with that revamp so I can have a nice, powerful spider as a pet.

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
A rideable 5 slot pet could be interesting. I like the idea for PvM, but in PvP, it could create some imbalance...

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Got a link to that statement? I missed it.
White Wyrms and Rune Beetles are 3 slot pets, not 2 slot.

Zalan

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Mesanna was talking about it at the Legends Meet and Greet.

I wouldn't mind training my Bane Dragon up to five slots. Feeding it Black rock stew everyday has gotten old.

"Your pet seems a bit peckish. Your pet is not at full power"

Eric Ravenwind

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Got a link to that statement? I missed it.
White Wyrms and Rune Beetles are 3 slot pets, not 2 slot.
Forgive me, I misspoke. Any tamable, 2 control slots and above are trainable to 5 control slots. And, no, I don't have a link to the statement. I think it was seen in the transcript from a meet & greet.

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
I'm curious about what it means to "tame up" a pet. What gets better? Their stats? Their resists? How will this affect the unofficial 'pet ratings' that you see on calculators like UO Craft? To be honest, I am a little skeptical. While I wouldn't mind being able to take out my bane dragon and have them be a lot more effective... I hope this isn't something that will make all pets brought up to nearly Greater Dragon like skills and stats.

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I am more hoping that this will make more pets viable and give me something that has some staying power while still being able to dish out good damage, unlike those stupid overgrown fire breathing chicken and the turtle counterpart.
Those only have staying power. Their damage is awful.

Zalan

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Your greater dragon is already a 5 slot pet. I think your confusing this with the pet power calculator.

Sqrlking

Adventurer
Your greater dragon is already a 5 slot pet. I think your confusing this with the pet power calculator.
It was more of a lateral thinking question. If everything below 5 slots can be trained to max (or above) skills, what happens to GDs who are already at the 5 slot limit? I guess we'll find out when more details emerge.

Escaflowne

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Mesanna was talking about it at the Legends Meet and Greet.

I wouldn't mind training my Bane Dragon up to five slots. Feeding it Black rock stew everyday has gotten old.

"Your pet seems a bit peckish. Your pet is not at full power"
This! I wub my bane dragon, he is my favourite pet these days. Although im gonna have a great time playing about with new possibilities, better start clearing stable space!

Will you be able to train them back down though i wonder? Cause I have very old pre patch Imp that i would like to see how he turns out but if he doesnt turn out well i'd want him back at 2 slot as I have a pair of them.

Zalan

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I wonder if there will be graphics changes as the pet levels up. Or will it just be stats and resist

Escaflowne

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yeah that would be cool if they evolved in looks. Would be cool if you could train any pet up to a 5 slot, including all the 1 slot ones cause id love a 5 slot bear :D. Then you could teach them 2 special moves each or something.

Eric Ravenwind

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I hope they give us a 6th slot because then we could have 2 3 slot pets too. More power to the tamers!!

(and if you don't like it, buy/get a Mythic Token and start a tamer!)

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
I hope they give us a 6th slot because then we could have 2 3 slot pets too. More power to the tamers!!

(and if you don't like it, buy/get a Mythic Token and start a tamer!)
I think there is good balance right now with number of pet slots. Adding a 6th slot, in my opinion, would be a bad idea... i.e., if you're using a GD, you should have to be on foot, and not mounted. Tamers already have a lot of power and allowing tamers to 'train up' new pets will give them even more power... but adding a 6th slot would make it OP unless they revalued the amount of slots current pets take up.

I wonder if there will be graphics changes as the pet levels up. Or will it just be stats and resist
If I recall correctly, they did say there would be something along the lines of being able to change colors on some of your pets. They haven't discussed details of this, but I would certainly support there being more than one color for GD's so its not so hard to distinguish when doing something like the roof encounter with a group of tamers. Not sure about the graphics themselves though and how it would relate to 'leveling' up. Probably not a bad idea if there were some new graphics for pets at max level or something like that.

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
My biggest concern for balance is going to be if they allow ridable pets to be trained up to 5 slots and still be ridden. At present, if you have 5 slots out, at least 1 pet must move at pet speed (even if the player doesn't). I worry that allowing something as powerful as a 5 slot pet to move at player mounted speed will cause issues. A 5 slot Dread or Bane that can be ridden would be OP IMO.

Zalan

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't see an issue. When the pet is mounted it has the run speed, because your pet can't attack while mounted. When you dismount it goese back to regular pet speed like it is now.

The only exception, might be a Ki-rin. When mounted they have a special ability to call lightning if rider is reduced to 1/3rd of their hit points.

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I don't see an issue. When the pet is mounted it has the run speed, because your pet can't attack while mounted. When you dismount it goese back to regular pet speed like it is now.

The only exception, might be a Ki-rin. When mounted they have a special ability to call lightning if rider is reduced to 1/3rd of their hit points.
The issue is that a person can have their pet guard them and run (on the pet) right up next to you and dismount and attack you. Its one thing when that is a lower tier pet, but I could see it being an issue with a 5 slot pet.

Zalan

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This can already be done with C'ushide, Reptalons, and Hiryu. Those are 4 slot pets. This is only an issue in fel. Beside any PvPer that can't kill or ditch the pet shouldn't PvP.

Escaflowne

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well some people enjoy pvp but just aren't that good at it, doesn't mean they shouldn't pvp :). Im very new to fel pvp and most of the time people just have to run past me and ill fall off my mount and die :p. Personally a 5 slot ridable wouldn't bother me though.

Zalan

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Pets are not known for having good AI. If a person can't out smart the pet, there another problem :cool:

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
This can already be done with C'ushide, Reptalons, and Hiryu. Those are 4 slot pets. This is only an issue in fel. Beside any PvPer that can't kill or ditch the pet shouldn't PvP.
There is a pretty big gap between the power of a Cu and a Greater Dragon though. Without knowing exactly how the skills, stats, etc will play out its hard to know what impact it will have. Nothing says it will be an issue, but my concern is that it will be.

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
I'm inclined to agree with Merus on this. Comparing a Cu to a GD just doesn't add up. Hopefully the developers are considering that making some lower level pets allowed to be "trained up" and still ridable, could have a negative affect on PVP and make the tamer template OP overall for PVM purposes as well. I like the balance right now, so I hope they don't do anything to screw this up.

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I am afraid that they will not want to obsolete GDs, so the trained up pets will be better than their old versions, but still not on par with GDs. Which means that after a couple of weeks everyone will revert to back to GDs. And that will be a lot of wasted effort on dev's part.
IMO to revitalize taming there is no need to come up with new mechanics like training slots etc. First boost existing underused pets' HP and resists to something that is close to GD/Cu. Anything less will be a wasted effort since it will not be used by the players. And then give various pets different damage types, slayers and spell abilities. No need to invent them. You can take what already exists including player spells.

P.S.
You can even leave Cu with it's current anemic damage if you get it heal when needed, not 3 times a week.