• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Toontown vs. Wizard101

G

Granjell

Hi all! I recently came back onto Toontown for a bit after playing Wizard101 almost non-stop for a few months. Playing for about an hour, I hosted a party, did Fish Bingo, took a building, did a quick Factory with this little mouse who needed Minglers (there weren't any :( - oops) and generally just messed around. I whispered to a couple friends that were on, and got a reply from Margo finally.

Anyway, here's my summary of the differences between Toontown and Wizard101:

Toontown - very kid oriented, can be enjoyed by pre-schoolers

Wizard101 - older kid oriented, reading-age definitely a plus

Toontown - lots of general silliness, parties and racing etc.

Wizard101 - some clever puns and the Gobblers are the pretty much the only silliness

Toontown - boss battles don't generally last more than half an hour

Wizard101 - some boss battles/towers can last HOURS

Toontown - chat system pretty easy to master

Wizard101 - still don't know all available phrases, very non-intuitive arrangement of phrases, limited "Battle Chat" menu (makes it hard to have non-text chat friends)

Toontown - minigames - you love em or hate em

Wizard101 - minigames - you love em or hate em

They are both extremely fun in their own ways, and can both be a lot of work in their own ways. I think they can learn from each other. I now wish Toontown would add hats and shoes and other "gear" that would give extra gags or health boosts or stuff like that. I wish you could heal a defeated Toon after that hit, so that they wouldn't disappear from the top floor of a five-story building.

Any one else have any thoughts after playing both games?

S

soupandquackers

I agree with everything you said. I haven't played either in a couple of weeks, been pretty busy but I will try and start playing again

L

Little Sadie

I have some differences too. :)

Maxing a toon on TT can take a long time when you factor in gardening, golfing, racing,and fishing. Took me two years. LOL! You can max a wizard in weeks. It took me less then 6 weeks to max my first wiz. You also have 6 different schools to chose from including Balance, Fire, Ice, and Death. Each has their own specific spells and ways of using them. There are 2-3 new schools coming soon.

Houses in TT are very limited and can you say boring? Houses in W101 are really cool. You can chose from many from simple cottages in the woods to a colorful wizard inspired home floating on an island in the sky. The furniture, wallpaper, flooring, and decorations are almost limitless.

Clothing in TT is pretty much limited to the exciting arrival of the tye dye shirt in your cattlelog. On W101 you can buy so many different outfits, hats, boots, athames, rings, necklaces, its awesome. Each of these items boost your health (laff), and or mana (gag bag). They can also give you special spell cards.

On W101 you can do boss battles over and over to farm for special items. You don't have to go back and get bux and so on to do so. You can even go in to most boss battles even if you don't have a quest(task) as long as you have a friend in there you can port (teleport) to.

TT has a lot more people to play randomly with. It is much easier to get a group for a CJ or CEo then it will ever be to do the top battles in W101 if you don't have friends ingame.

Chat in W101 is not monitored as far as I know. I have yet to hear anyone with adult( yes we get adult chat) over there. I have yet to be even given a warning and have been able to say just about anything from my yahoo to where I live. TT is ridiculous on their chat rules.

Both games have adult groups to join. Wizened Wizards is an awesome group always willing to help and are very friendly. We have a great bunch over there with I believe over 400 members with most being active. And best of all, no drama like the ATTA group on TT. Also W101 friends lists hold 103 friends each.

W101 is always improving their game. For a new, just celebrated 1 year, game its graphics and everything else seriously put TT to shame. Disney drags their feet to give make any kind of improvement to the game. W101 recently came out with a new world and has another new world and new schools coming in October. They are also adding mounts to ride. Dragons, horses, and cats to ride through the streets. Woot! Can't wait for that.

While I loved TT for what it was, I had no idea there was anything out there that could compete. Being it was my first online game I stuck with it til I got so bored that I finally started looking for something new. W101 is TT meets Harry Potter.:thumbup:

T

TubbyHile

Maxing a toon seemed very tedious. I never completely maxed Tubby. The final point on fishing and racing was just too long. The only tedious thing on W101 is the crafting quest. Linda finished it but I'm dragging my feet on it.

Chat is way better on W101. If a word is not meant to be shown you get ... on that word. You're not left wondering if the others saw it or not.

I like the use of cards in W101 battles. It adds some variety to the fights as you may not always get the cards you're after. TT battles were easy to learn but very formulated strategically.

Homes are very well done in W101. Lots of items to get. TT does get a big plus for player statues though. :)

I do like the variety of outfits in W101, however, you may end up wearing something pretty ridiculous just because its a better item. You can dye the clothes but I wish you could alter the styles as well.

One big knock I have with W101 are the crowns. You have to pay extra for those to get certain special items. I can see why they would have it for the free subscribers, but a paying subscriber shouldn't have to pay even more to get crowns. At least, there's a rare shot of getting the items from a monster.

TT minis > W101 minis. The only one I play is Potion Motion because its the quickest one to play to refill your potions.

Trish

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I do like the variety of outfits in W101, however, you may end up wearing something pretty ridiculous just because its a better item. You can dye the clothes but I wish you could alter the styles as well.
I don't play W101 nor have I ever, but i can totally relate being a FFXI addict. There are some things where the stats are awesome but I refuse to wear them simply because they are ugly. lol And none of the best stuff goes well together. I have a very nice tunic, blue and creme with gold trim for my White Mage. The best pants are.. white with red triangles along the bottom. Picture it. lol Here's a picture of a guy who apparently doesn't care:

G

Granjell

LOL Trish! That shirt makes his head look so small, maybe the pants are to overcompensate.

james64468

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I love wizard101 i got addicted lol I have more fun there it makes me think unlike toontown i don't have to think lol. the cards vary play to play. Toontown takes awhile just to max on toons. Here what i dont like is spending time in da mints and worse won bossbot stock options. I like the graphics in wizard101.

Graphics in toontown are outdated. I compare graphics to graphics on games. The better quality is wizard101.

Wizard101 supports windows 7 while toontown don't. If i were to upgrade my computers to windows 7 i could not play toontown at all. They should fix that they are falling behind.