• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Lumberjacking] To mark or Not to mark, that is the question

startle

Siege... Where the fun begins.
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hi all...

Today I broke out my old lumberjack char that has been asleep for about 9 years now... I was prompted by looking at some of the prices for Imbuing ingredients that come from trees :coco:

Back in the day, a tree held "true" in regard to resources received, as in one he found that had a vastly abnormal amount of logs. I marked that tree and it continued to yield like that for months.

My question is this: Do trees that yield Fungi or Parasitics yield them time after time or is it a random thing now? Should I be marking these trees?

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Resources were always random. If they appeared to give more of one kind, that was th streakiness of the RNG at work. The introduction of the new woods and the fungi, etc. was only a little over 4 years ago (I'm not even sure if there was colored leather 9 years ago, if even ore!).

However, in terms of AMOUNT of wood (or ore), resource squares do tend to produce roughly the same amount each time, if fully refreshed. This holds true even when the TYPE changes. A tree that gives 20 chops once, typically gives around 20 chops each time. A mining spot that gives 20+ ore, will always give about that much ore, if allowed to fully recover from the last miner.

And, contrary to how Devs think that the amount of colored resources works, each spot has a set percentage chance, that differs from resource square to resource square. There's too many spots that give colored wood or ore 10% of the time, every visit, and similarly for 90% every visit, for the chance to be a simple "40% for humans and gargoyles, 60% for Elves"). The elves might get a 20% bonus to that number (as in 120% times the spot's percentage, not a +20% on top of it), and more chops, but it's definitely not as advertised.

Then again, we are talking about the devs that "misplaced" the Bushido Perfection luck bonus for almost a year, because the departed dev that coded it into SE put it into a place they never thought to look for it, and they only stumbled apon the code, in place and working, a year after officially saying "we looked into the code, and didn't find it, so it must have been an idea that didn't make it past Beta of SE"). Oops.

B

bosskram

In short don't bother marking runes for trees or such because of the color of resource it gave when you first chopped it, because its all random now. Mark runes for places that you want to gather, ie: safe places or certain cave or forest in fel that are low traveled by pkers.. You will find that you will get a good amount of mushrooms and parisitic plants just by collecting wood outside you house.. Hope that helps

startle

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Great info from both of you, so thanks much... Really didn't want to bother with the marking anyway, pitb... :)

Lorax_Pacific

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Great info from both of you, so thanks much... Really didn't want to bother with the marking anyway, pitb... :)
I haven't lumberjacked since they made it random. I hate the random resource generator. I detest mining for the same reason and only mine when I'm out of ingots. I would never ever sell any resource because of the random number difficulty in gathering. I hate that band-aid to macroers. Personally, they should have left it the same and limited all the resource bots. The developers punished everyone for the few that abused the system.

-Lorax

U

UOKaiser

Reason I will never give up my mining/lumber books. Took me a long time to mark each spot that gives large amount of resources and allows me to hit multiple veins. By the time I recall back it will be fully replentish for another run. Very efficient and cuts down on loss of time.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I'm with you, UOKaiser.

I had 3 sets of ore books (bought one, then got TWO from one of the rare times I happened to be near an IDOC when it fell - A day AFTER the purchase...)

I went through, eliminated the few duplicate spots, condensed them all to spots that gave 50-90% colored ore, then reduced them further to spots that gave at least 12 good digs, averaging closer to 20 (in Trammel & Malas). That left me with 2 full books for each metal, except gold and Valorite (1 and a half each for those).

This was long before the ore randomization, and the books still serve me outstandingly well. I don't get the ore the title of each book says anymore, but the AMOUNTS is the SAME as before, regardless of what type each currently spawns (digs per location, and ratio of colored to iron (since I use Garg picks and Prospector tools, no spot is only iron)).

MisPrinted_Lies

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have found a couple spots that seem to be the exception to the " random " changes.

I have been chopping 2 trees for the last 6 months that ALWAYS yield Heartwood and Bloodwood, same goes for mining...I know one spot that yields Valorite in addition to the regular Iron each and every time I mine there...

Havent been lucky enough to find a tree that spawns Frostwood 100% of the time YET...but Im sure there is a tree out there somewhere that does, just got to find it now.

startle

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have found a couple spots that seem to be the exception to the " random " changes.

I have been chopping 2 trees for the last 6 months that ALWAYS yield Heartwood and Bloodwood, same goes for mining...I know one spot that yields Valorite in addition to the regular Iron each and every time I mine there...

Havent been lucky enough to find a tree that spawns Frostwood 100% of the time YET...but Im sure there is a tree out there somewhere that does, just got to find it now.
This seems to follow "exceptions" to what the dev's report to us over the past 11 years of playing UO... What I'm going to do is mark a dozen or so spots and see if I think "randomness" is what it should be...

I'll come back in a couple of weeks and report what I've found...

Cheers :)