To all those who complain about item turn-ins

• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!
S

SDragor

Now, what is all the whining and complaining about?

• First you complain about the crappy holiday gifts.
  • Nevertheless, you keep hoarding them in your house for no good reason, complaining about usless stuff taking up valuable storage space.
  • Then you start cluttering the landscape with your stupid castles, keeps and 18x18, just to make them private (thus they'll be worthless to the community) and cram them under the roof with items you will never need.
  • The worst of your kind now whine about the lack of housing space, and that every player should be able to place a castle! Not understanding that with their stupid housing space (best example: Malas) they just force the devs to create useless landmasses that contain nothing but houses, and contribute nothing to the game itself.
  • Not to forget those complaining about EA charging $20 for a storage space increase!
  • Some (and those are the clever ones, to my opinion) just dump the crap into the next trash barrel.
  • Then those who were hoarding tons of useless items (just in case) over years, are complaining that their crap should be part of the item turn-in system.
  • Now, they are part of the item turn-in system (for no good reason, to my opinion). You now complain about the low value of crappy holiday items in the turn-in system.
  • At the same time, you complain about the game being too item-based, while you spend most of your online time sorting through your stuff and organizing useless items.

WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU GUYS!!??

Consider the item turn-in a volontary concession of the developers to you item hoarders! You will be rewarded undeservedly for hoarding trash, taking up server space and causing lag! And still you keep whining and complaining!

Don't you ever get, what this game is about? Everybody keeps complaining about the game being too item-based. Yet almost everybody spends most of his online time collecting and hoarding items YOU DON'T EVEN NEED! Spend time on the community! Spend time going on adventures with your online friends. Maybe, even spend time on constructive criticism.

But do us and yourself a favor and do not make yourself an item slave!

Farsight

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 12, 2008
Cats/Europa
Actually, the developers have been promising item turn ins for years. And many of the current hoarders were disappointed when they had nothing to turn in for the spring clean many years ago and were just planning for the next one.

But you're absolutely right about what the game is about for me. But I've never been a hoarder or a collector.

But I'm not them. And they are a valuable portion of the client base. Some changes need to cater to them.

Blesh

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 12, 2008
Thank you SD.

I swear to God these people could complain about anything.

L

Lord Richard

<<<<<<<<WOW!>>>>>>>
And to think my wife had me pegged
:blushing:

C

Connor_Graham

While I may agree with some of your points, this one:

Then you start cluttering the landscape with your stupid castles, keeps and 18x18, just to make them private (thus they'll be worthless to the community)

Houses belong to the person that designed them. The deco and everything about them is for the enjoyment of the person that owns it, not for random people to come walking in whenever they feel like it. Not to mention the lowlifes that will walk into every house, checking every container they see hoping to get lucky. Then you have the old school vets that have their houses secure from habit, since in the past you could get killed in your house and have your house dry looted and dropped while you stood there and watched, unable to do anything about it.

S

SDragor

Houses belong to the person that designed them. The deco and everything about them is for the enjoyment of the person that owns it, not for random people to come walking in whenever they feel like it. Not to mention the lowlifes that will walk into every house, checking every container they see hoping to get lucky. Then you have the old school vets that have their houses secure from habit, since in the past you could get killed in your house and have your house dry looted and dropped while you stood there and watched, unable to do anything about it.
I totally agree, Connor. I think housing is one of the key features of the game, and I personally like it very much. I only think that it is not a good idea allowing a single player to own castles, keeps or 18x18, because one person really doesn't need such a big crib. Big houses like these make walking through the landscape an annoying nightmare. On a castle property you could easily fit 6-8 medium sized houses. Those castles are just a waste of space! And how many castle owners use their building for guild or community purpose? The minority!

And to those old school vets: I think it's about time to get rid of this paranoia. The times have changed 8 years ago, when secure housing was introduced.

C

Charmed

Keeps & Castles are boring.. :bdh:
I favor the 18 x 18 customisable house, bigger space for unlimited creativity!
:beer:

phantus

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Jun 11, 2003
Eastern USA
THere is nothing wrong with big houses now there is a 1 house per account rule but thanks for explaining how we really don't need them. As for paranoia I'm guessing you don't remember the secure container exploit a few years back? Perhaps just us old timers...

And the turnins need tweaks. If it wasn't for us complaining this game would be even worse off than it already is. If the game would provide more than a dribble of content we wouldn't pick apart each tiny bit that is given to us.

R

RavenWinterHawk

• Nevertheless, you keep hoarding them in your house for no good reason, complaining about usless stuff taking up valuable storage space.
  • Then you start cluttering the landscape with your stupid castles, keeps and 18x18, just to make them private (thus they'll be worthless to the community) and cram them under the roof with items you will never need.
  • The worst of your kind now whine about the lack of housing space, and that every player should be able to place a castle! Not understanding that with their stupid housing space (best example: Malas) they just force the devs to create useless landmasses that contain nothing but houses, and contribute nothing to the game itself.
  • Not to forget those complaining about EA charging $20 for a storage space increase!
  • Some (and those are the clever ones, to my opinion) just dump the crap into the next trash barrel.
  • Then those who were hoarding tons of useless items (just in case) over years, are complaining that their crap should be part of the item turn-in system.
  • Now, they are part of the item turn-in system (for no good reason, to my opinion). You now complain about the low value of crappy holiday items in the turn-in system.
  • At the same time, you complain about the game being too item-based, while you spend most of your online time sorting through your stuff and organizing useless items.

Consider the item turn-in a volontary concession of the developers to you item hoarders! You will be rewarded undeservedly for hoarding trash, taking up server space and causing lag! And still you keep whining and complaining!

Don't you ever get, what this game is about? Everybody keeps complaining about the game being too item-based. Yet almost everybody spends most of his online time collecting and hoarding items YOU DON'T EVEN NEED! Spend time on the community! Spend time going on adventures with your online friends. Maybe, even spend time on constructive criticism.

But thats how my merchant survives... selling items.

Now going on adventures would be cool. I hope ea makes the game more adventure like with random encounters and all that...

Now its recall and kill. Perhaps we could turn in stuff to get tickets for an adventure.

P

packrat

WOW, a whiner whining about the whiners. :shots:

Landicine

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 23, 2008
1. I will admit that I wasn't pleased with this years Christmas gifts. I really like these gifts the first time they were given out, but the second time I tossed them. This was discussed to death around the holiday, so not worth bringing up again.

2. I tend to horde for roleplay reasons. I bought a bunch of blackrock since it is useful for evil characters to drop at crime scenes. Oddly enough, it became useful again! I also tend to horde since it is easier to just empty a character's pack than actually sort through and determine what I need.

3. While most of my houses are public, I have no gripe with those who choose to live a solitary life. In a roleplay sense, it is their property, even if technically it belongs to EA.

4. I personally think there should be less difference between secure counts of various houses. I love my L-shape in Fel, but there are certainly times I wish it had more secures (even after buying the secure storage increase). However, it is not something I feel too passionate about.

5. Malas was a necessary evil in many ways. Housing was a struggle to get for a lot of people other than me. I used to help friends find spots. People were forced to living smalls in Felucca. In a game where housing is a big feature, housing shouldn't be impossible to find.

6. At $20 I didn't get it for all my accounts. The old grandfathered account with 5 tasteful Felucca smalls which have no secure storage to begin with don't need 20% more of nothing.

7. Sometimes the best way to deal with a problem is to toss things out and start again.

8. I have no problem with such collections since they give people an excuse to clean up their houses.

My biggest problem with your post is your tone. Insulting people, even when you may have a valid point, will just make people less likely to listen.

T

T_Amon_from_work

:lol:

Welp, I don't opurposely go out to get all that stuff ... and TBH I have sent a lot to the trash barrel in the last few months. As it turns out, someone was trashing 32 Doom Braziers ... just leaving them for the pickings in a pack ... and I picked them up for lighting. Then this turnin and I find I'm on a pretty good pile of points all of a sudden.

Kewl! Between them, holiday crap and some skill scrolls I don't need I see the luck jewelry and perhaps the firepit in my future. 100-200 items for 3 ... I'm an item-slave but it's for a good cause.

o2bavr6

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 13, 2008
Sarasota, FL
I only think that it is not a good idea allowing a single player to own castles, keeps or 18x18, because one person really doesn't need such a big crib.

I'm an old school vet from 1997, so this is my perspective.
After a while of playing, lets say 10 years, you start to acculmulate a lot of good items.

Not just random junk or gifts. I throw all those away. I am talking about armor and weapons and artifiacts and resources. basically things that we can all still use, and do use on a daily basis.

I also have 6 houses, a couple of which are 18x18's and a keep. I have to agree on the castle being a big waste of space (in fact I could have owned a castle many times and chose not to) also castles are a pain in the butt to move around in. But I digress.. My main problem is I run out of room in my 18x18's and have to start either throwing stuff away or moving them to my keep.

So should I be forced to just throw the stuff away?

In fact about 3 weeks ago, I got fed up and decided to throw away a bunch of barbed sleeves. Imagine someone burning 100 barbed kits on leather sleeves. Of those, I threw away about 45% that had decent mods but low resists. That still left me with about 800 sleeves of various sorts and about 30 really nice pieces.

Where do you proposed I store the 800 sleeves? Anayway as I said I got fed up and went to Luna bank and started dropping them on the ground for people. It was kind of a crazy sight.

There are some of us who just need the storage.

As for the turn in items, I just throw that stuff away, there in no item in the turn in that i want or need.

Oh, and I am not paranoid about my house getting looted. I live in Fel and I am red so it is important for my characters "health" to have a private house. It is also no one elses business what is in my house and what i looks like inside.

P

Prince Caspian

You know, if I posted this, it would have been moved to SnR so fast that Barry Allen would have to hit pause and rewind.

Nice to know the mods around here are so unbiased.

M

Melina Havelock

I only think that it is not a good idea allowing a single player to own castles, keeps or 18x18, because one person really doesn't need such a big crib.
Glad you feel qualified to determine what size house a person should have. I personally need an 18x18 to garden in. I used a small house years ago and it sucked. Considering the number of plants I grow in addition to secures required for plant/seed storage and the HIGH number of vendors I have, anything below an 18x18 is unacceptable. Not that it's any of your business or I need to justify my house. However, I earned the gold to purchase and place the size of house(s) (yep, I have 3 18x18's) that I want. The only reason I don't have a keep is lack of customization. :p

P

Prince Caspian

I still want to know why the mods arent moving a ranting post into SnR.

Or is such treatment just for me everytime I am down on something?

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 12, 2008
Personally, I like finding your posts in SnR because they always make me laugh. Maybe the mods just figure that forum needs some comic relief and your posts generally fill the bill.

(P.S. I'm cracking up every time I look at your "brooding" mood button.)

S

Sheridan

You know, if I posted this, it would have been moved to SnR so fast that Barry Allen would have to hit pause and rewind.

Nice to know the mods around here are so unbiased.
I still want to know why the mods arent moving a ranting post into SnR.

Or is such treatment just for me everytime I am down on something?
Awww... someone feeling a little broody today? Perhaps this has something to do with it, bub:

Today, 03:25 AM #1 SDragor Visitor

I love these forums, but not that much. BTW, since you brought it up...
I. Publicly discussing actions by the moderators is prohibited. This includes, but is not limited to: bans, warnings, locks, and moved threads. Any inquiries or comments on bans, warnings, or other moderator actions, are to be sent in private messages or via email. A moderator may choose to publicly inform the participants of a forum about bans and warnings if this is in the interest of the forum.

F

Fayled Dhreams

All in all ... pretty good ...
Missed the best point to be made ... though touched upon.

"Item based" ... who "did it" ?
Was NOT the devs ...
Was NOT the "game" ...

It was, and still is ...
The Players.

Check the "rare pixel traders" ...
The game wasn't marketed as a way to trade in-game items for RL$.
oh! its allowed ... but go figure ... an ingame pixel "wasn't locked down"
scooped up and bragged about ... soon ... hey, i'll give ya a real $ for that ...
NOW ... theres a "market", a structure, a list of good, better, bestest ...
not to mention "spokespersons" whose sage words are to be taken as law ...
cause ...
NOW they have "rights" and "earned" opinion's .. and join their voices in cries of "slap in the face"
over ...
Ta Dahhhh!
an ingame pixel that "wasn't locked down"

{smirk} Game and Dev's didn't create them ...
They "grew" themselves through time and custom.

Check the PvPer's
"Too expensive" to get started
wasn't the pixels fault
Nor, the "mechanics" ...
Early on it was "conn speed" (and the various hacks to achieve same/equivalent)
Then came "visible"(requested) numbers and ratings and insurance ...
Why? so's not to have to trust a merchants "rating" or estimate of durability and power
(or to burn a slot to "do it themselves")
oops! The players ... for various and sundry reasons ...usually driven by the "need to win"

not the pixels fault
lack of leadership and "unspoken rules"
IF they "cool kids" would gather in agreement ... and actually set "fair Play or kicked" standards ...
inspite of what the pixels say ... such a system could (does) work ...

*Shrugs*
It is ALL "Player perception's"

Check the "complainers" about the various gifts and rewards ...
all about "worth" and "value" and "unmet expectations" ...
don't like it? toss it and move on ...(I suspect a majority do anyways)
But >here< ? in the hall ?
no chance is missed to spit upon and call for the dismisal of some others efforts

and they'll viciously and violently defend it as a "right" or "obligation"

omg

Well past the borders of politeness and "mere critique"
and obsession ... and "thoughtful opinion" ...
Never ... never ... ever never(>here< in the hall )
is there a chance of acknowledgement that "Maybe 'tis an over-reaction"
on >their part< ...
no, no ... they've Paid ... they Must ... the stars will fall from heaven if they don't
complain and wheedle and snark on every perceived pixel fault ...
each bit byte lost upon the net ... tis another beaten child
every millisecond of "unknowing" as to what exactly and precisely is "going on"
Re: this or that or what's coming next ...
is a conspiracy of silence by generally facelesss and unknown forces
(directed solely at them exclusively)
to deprive them of their precious pixels value ...
Their humanity
Their soul
Their time
Their families
Their monies

tres bizzare!

The Game ... is NOT "item based"

They ARE.

it's axiomatic ... and except for >this< observation ... near tautology.

Burma Shave and Safe Travels

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
May 12, 2008
Baja Shard
Two reasons.
#1 The casual player will not be able to get all the eye candy they want. Too many points needed to get what I want or turn in points too low.
#2 The rare colector will not be able to charge you high prices for your eye candy. Eye candy points too low or turn in points too high.

A

Azureal

@ Fayled - I agree with most of what you said, especially about the rares collectors. But to say that UO isnt item based? I dunno. Maybe early on it was less item-centric, but you gotta admit, the Devs certainly know how to feed an addiction.

R

RenaLynne

I agree with some of the points you made...especially because it seems some people will never be happy no matter what the Devs do. Although, you have to remember "what the game is about" is different for everyone. Theres nothing wrong with collecting items. For me, its the constant complaining thats annoying.rolleyes:

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 16, 2008
SoCal.
pft, people should just be happy that the devs are even giving people something for junk.
In my opinion, turn-ins are just a way to get rid of a lot of junk for more junk. Next thing we know people are going to want turn-in rewards for future turn-ins.

F

Fayled Dhreams

@ Fayled - I agree with most of what you said, especially about the rares collectors. But to say that UO isnt item based? I dunno. Maybe early on it was less item-centric, but you gotta admit, the Devs certainly know how to feed an addiction.
Fine hair-line for "blame" ...

Some "blame" the dev's for : making UO item based

uhhhh
Checkers is item based ...
Chess is item based ... see where I'm going? (coming from actually)

Name a computer game ... non-item based ?

Need the gears for playing the game ... uhhhh , no ...
Some PLAYSTYLES need some items ... but NOT all playstyles

and those playstyles that claim to be "dependent"(need some items ) ... welll ... more opinion than actual "need "
Need a bow type and some ammo .. to BE an archer ... k ...
Need something in your hand to be ... a macer, fencer, swordsman ... k ...
Need a pet to be a tamer ... mostly ... but ...

Beyond the newbie issue for any template ...
The Player determines ... what is "needed" next ...

The Player determines ... their own path ... sets their own goals ...

A lot of my position, comes from the old "skills vs items" debates ...
I'll take skill over items every time ... IF theres a choice between "which to have"
(MORE skill (usually) = less items needed)

when the glow part of the event first started up ... after acquiring 2 corrupted cloaks (through use of an item, blackrock) ...
I acquired ALL the rest of my loot ... barehanded ... via scavenging ... did not need insurance, uber gears, advanced macro sets and/or utilities (UOA)
no pet, nor club shield sword bow mount ... not even armor (death cloaks don't count, was only for feigned propriety/modesty) ...
I stopped tallying after 4+ some millio in gp, five boatloads of shields and swords, couple of berserker scythes, and mmm oh yeah round 40 some threads ...

THEN ... becoming bored with acquireing a full third of all the GP I've ever held (in over 7 years of play) I started an archer up ... with a scavenged bow ... and started harvesting feathers from fallen warriors (had been for awhile, hard to peg the start point) just saying ... never bought a single arrow / bolt, nor new piece of armor ...
scavenged everything ... ended (before the rift disappeared) With a GM archer, bought a 110 arch scroll(20? 30?k) with scavenged gold ... traded (what another player) thought was a "wicked uber bow" for an ethy mount ... made for "faster" running ... but ... I could do without ...

Point is:
Those who say the game IS item based ...
are letting the "idea" rule them ...
and
MY Playstyle ... is proof that they are wrong.

I've no scrolled out gimplate character, with all 70's balanced max mods armor, no macro set, no utility assist, no voip headset summoned/coordinated guildies ...

just saying ... IF the game was item based ... I couldn't possibly be having fun ...

huh?

I assure you ... I am.

S

SDragor

Fayled, I understand what you're saying and I agree to some degree. The game is what you make out of it. I kindof play the similar way as you do. And I am pretty sure that your character can neither kill a Vanguard nor compete in PvP. Because such fields are ruled by players who concentrate on items.

My point is: The game is encouraging item hoarding, because the players (mostly) demand it. However, the players have no clue about the true impact of their wishes. Player opinions are important. But the game designers should not submit to the will of players too often and without giving up their ideals, or their game will be screwed up pretty soon.

Remember one of the biggest mistakes: Trammel/Felucca split-up? (I'm a Trammel player, too, and don't like Felucca very much. But that's only because Felucca has become what it is due to the split-up.) Implementing a non-pvp mirror of the world was only done due to player complaints, and it corrupted and damaged the game more than any other change.

Making a game too item-focused, ruins a lot of what UO once was: A role playing community. UO is more and more populated by people who only go hunting for items, and if they don't get the items they want, they'll complain. Or even worse, buying items or gold for $$ on the internet, thus financing scripters and cheaters.

That's what I want to say: Player wishes may on the surface sound good, but they may have an unpredictable impact on the game quality.

L

Lord Kynd

so your complaining about the complainers ?
kinda two faced isn't it ?

F

Fayled Dhreams

Fayled, I understand what you're saying and I agree to some degree. The game is what you(The Player/s) make out of it. I kindof play the similar way as you do. And I am pretty sure that your character can neither kill a Vanguard nor compete in PvP. Because such fields are ruled by players who concentrate on items.
Actually ... your in FULL agreement with what I have writ ...
{insert [smirk] here}

And your assumption as to vanguards/peerless (all high end PvM) is just as baseless and wrong as the PvP quip ...

>I< chose ... to forgo the "items" ... for me .... they DON'T make the fun ...
however ... the new Dragons head "reward" ahhhhhhh gonna get me one of them ...

Same reason I flyfish in Only catch and release stream's ... usually >without a hook in the fly< ...
IF it was the "trophy fish" .... I've a better than average normal access to explosives (sonic/concussion stun) ... to raise ALL fish to the top.

The "items" that are in question ... in effect are all equal ...

Its the PLAYERS who put some obscure "value" as to what is worth what ...
simple proof ... offer it to an NPC ...
THAT is the games "base value" ... the games "estimation of worth"

The GAME does not drive the valuation of items ... it is and always has been ... what the PLAYERS thoughts and feelings and estimations and etc etc etc ...
that "make a thing" more desireable.

recent event arc, again, for example .... was NOT a tamers only event, mages were NOT totally excluded, dexer types and archers ... were NOT the only way to participate ...
blackrock was NOT the only way (just the easiest) to get a corrupted cloak .... I've managed on my GM archer ... to scavenge two (3?) obsidian swords ... still scavenging for 1 overlooked shield ...

It AIN'T the items ... its the types of players online ...

Speaking of "types" ... how many Role Players ... can you count up having seen ? interacted with ?
I've seen a few ... very very very Few ... but a few nonetheless ...

ahhhhh ....(deep thought question) ... are "items" keeping them out?

{insert [smirk] here}