• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Tired of the Dev Bashing

N

Natedawg26

These are my thoughts exactly on the lack of communication from the devs, its certainly not negative and im getting tired of the harsh negativity when april 30th hasnt even passed yet...when that day passes and its around may 4th and 5th and we still havent heard anything or gotten any gifts then I will panic until then read this short blog

Lack of Communication

I

imported_Fire Dragon

how is this any different from all the other threads? it's saying basically the same thing as most 'sane' ppl are saying..

G

<blockquote><hr>

Is that site a news site or a blog/editorial site?

[/ QUOTE ]

its a news blog for EALand

G

<blockquote><hr>

how is this any different from all the other threads? it's saying basically the same thing as most 'sane' ppl are saying..

[/ QUOTE ]

exactly what I thought........nothing new....

G

<blockquote><hr>

Re: EA Town Hall Schedule
#730053 - 04/01/08 12:03 PM Edit Reply Quote

I'm going to wear my heart on my sleeve in this post.

We (the whole team) works crazy amount of hours each week. We try to make it to the Town Hall whenever we can. In the past, we tried to be there religiously. As time went on, we got busier and busier. I don't know if you guys noticed that I cut back the hours posted? We'll probably cut it back some more.

The last couple of times I was there, I was so busy that I knew, absolutely knew I'd have to work until 9 p.m. or later, but I went anyway. You know what happened? A few people came in to do nothing but pancake and moan about how much we sucked. They did not have any questions or issues. They only wanted to form a mob. They kept keeping the players that actually had questions from asking them.

You have to understand, the stuff you guys post about and the feedback we get in-game... the bugs, exploits, etc, we take those very seriously. We're keep pushing ourselves to make this game better for you guys. <font color="blue">When people come in to do nothing but whine, and do not have any suggestions on how we can better this game, it really takes a toll on me. Like I said, we're stressed, working tons of hours, and often times these people are the straw that breaks the camel's back.
</font>
Often times, it is easier to just close down the Town Hall than it is to play into their hands by reacting to their diatribes.

<font color="blue">I can help you guys, the community, sooooo much more with the things I do behind the scenes. </font> Whenever I can, I'll go to the Town Hall. The times posted are more of a suggested schedule.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Parizad "Maxis Sahara" Parav
http://ea-land.ea.com
www.TSO-E.com/blog
www.game-blueprints.com
No one person, or even one group of people, is more important than the community as a whole. - Jon Hanna

[/ QUOTE ]
Taken from here

G

I don't blame them for making themselves scarce. They bust their butts, and every time they post, people jump on them. Someone has the nerve to start a "yay devs" post, and someone inevitably comes in and starts the bashing. I'm not a cheerleader, but I'm tired of the crabbing.

The devs are not required to post in Stratics. They are not required to post on the EA Land blog as far as I know, or to take any of our suggestions from the Wiki. It is a testament to how much they must really care about this community that they do any of these things, and yet people treat them like they are trying to ruin the game or get it shut down.

People need to relax and treat other people with respect. Maybe then the devs will come out of hiding and play again. This game will be changing for a long time to come- both good and bad changes- and if you can't stand the heat, as they say, get out of the kitchen. People need to take responsibility for their own game experience and stop blaming everything on the devs.

G

no , it was not taken from there .... im the one who wrote that article hehe
.. i just collected the different *possible* reasons of the new lack of communication from the community and myself - its kinda easier for readers to read it all from one place.
... and also, just stating the obvious in a clearer way :p

I

imported_gensi

Thanks Simone, I was looking for that post.

Just goes to show that even those "faceless" game developers have feelings and lives. I wish people would think before they post in anger and frustration. Constructive criticism and praise go a much longer way, than biting attacks.

M

mameloot

Yes, thank you Simone.
I've been waiting for one of the devs to snap with all the BS thrown in their face and knives in their backs.

There are problems? Always, everywhere.
You need to bring attention to them? Definitely.
BUT
There's a way to give constructive critisicm and then there's hurtful attacks.

Which do you prefer to receive in your job? Which is likely to make you work harder?

Unfortunately, with faceless internet contact it's too easy to attack and ignore how you're making the other person feel. Attacks are never an effect way to motivate people to work.
Before you post anything, think how you'd feel if your comments were being directed at you? Will it help? Or hurt?

mame

G

Why, can people just wait patiencly, like I am. Then, all these negative post/threads on stratics.

N

Natedawg26

appreciate all the comments and that thread with parizad even though my original post wasnt "taken" from there as someone said above in anyway I fully agree with parizads post...i hadnt saw that until now but now it makes perfect sense why we dont hear from them as much anymore...i wish people would quit pancakes and just play it as it is...a GAME

N

Natedawg26

<blockquote><hr>

Yes, thank you Simone.
I've been waiting for one of the devs to snap with all the BS thrown in their face and knives in their backs.

There are problems? Always, everywhere.
You need to bring attention to them? Definitely.
BUT
There's a way to give constructive critisicm and then there's hurtful attacks.

Which do you prefer to receive in your job? Which is likely to make you work harder?

Unfortunately, with faceless internet contact it's too easy to attack and ignore how you're making the other person feel. Attacks are never an effect way to motivate people to work.
Before you post anything, think how you'd feel if your comments were being directed at you? Will it help? Or hurt?

mame

[/ QUOTE ]

exactly couldnt have said it better myself

G

I've actually given this some thought.

I feel bad that people who do their jobs get bashed b/c they listen to their bosses over the customers... but w/e

What I gave thought to is... the fact that people could be hated so hard for just doing their job.

I find I no longer feel bad for the devs... I find this hilarious.

I would LOVE to be hated for just doing my job and following orders.

AND on top of it all ... getting a paycheck to do so.

They are paid to deal with the game.. I bet they have some hilarious stories to tell on drunk night.

Whenever I get a client that acts semi braindead or like a rude idiot I do tell stories to my friends so... I'm sure they do it too.

A lot should be asking, which of us are making the Dev teams "OMFG you won't believe this mofo" list.

Like I would be like "omg they stalk my facebook and myspace friends"

Or "OMG these ladies are all over me, I'm' like the mac of the internet just b/c of my job title, lame." (well thats prolly just for the male devs).

Or "They think they own me b/c they pay "GOOD MONEY" aka $10 a month"

IDK I'm just saying... I'm sure eventually they are pretty numb to it.

G

<blockquote><hr>

I've actually given this some thought.

I feel bad that people who do their jobs get bashed b/c they listen to their bosses over the customers... but w/e

What I gave thought to is... the fact that people could be hated so hard for just doing their job.

I find I no longer feel bad for the devs... I find this hilarious.

I would LOVE to be hated for just doing my job and following orders.

AND on top of it all ... getting a paycheck to do so.

They are paid to deal with the game.. I bet they have some hilarious stories to tell on drunk night.

Whenever I get a client that acts semi braindead or like a rude idiot I do tell stories to my friends so... I'm sure they do it too.

A lot should be asking, which of us are making the Dev teams "OMFG you won't believe this mofo" list.

Like I would be like "omg they stalk my facebook and myspace friends"

Or "OMG these ladies are all over me, I'm' like the mac of the internet just b/c of my job title, lame." (well thats prolly just for the male devs).

Or "They think they own me b/c they pay "GOOD MONEY" aka $10 a month"

IDK I'm just saying... I'm sure eventually they are pretty numb to it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hopefully you're right about the Devs not taking things too personally.

The problem with negativity as I see it, is that it is so infectious. I hate to see people complain when we actually do get anything. Makes us come across as ungrateful bastages, heh.

Edited to modify a naughty word.

G

Nobody should work until 9 pm or later. Especially not with such an ungrateful task.
Very easy to burn yourself out that way.

E

ephemeral

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

We (the whole team) works crazy amount of hours each week. We try to make it to the Town Hall whenever we can. In the past, we tried to be there religiously. As time went on, we got busier and busier. I don't know if you guys noticed that I cut back the hours posted? We'll probably cut it back some more.

The last couple of times I was there, I was so busy that I knew, absolutely knew I'd have to work until 9 p.m. or later, but I went anyway. You know what happened? A few people came in to do nothing but pancake and moan about how much we sucked. They did not have any questions or issues. They only wanted to form a mob. They kept keeping the players that actually had questions from asking them.

You have to understand, the stuff you guys post about and the feedback we get in-game... the bugs, exploits, etc, we take those very seriously. We're keep pushing ourselves to make this game better for you guys. <font color="blue">When people come in to do nothing but whine, and do not have any suggestions on how we can better this game, it really takes a toll on me. Like I said, we're stressed, working tons of hours, and often times these people are the straw that breaks the camel's back.
</font>
Often times, it is easier to just close down the Town Hall than it is to play into their hands by reacting to their diatribes.

<font color="blue">I can help you guys, the community, sooooo much more with the things I do behind the scenes. </font> Whenever I can, I'll go to the Town Hall. The times posted are more of a suggested schedule.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
www.TSO-E.com/blog
www.game-blueprints.com
No one person, or even one group of people, is more important than the community as a whole. - Jon Hanna

[/ QUOTE ]
Taken from here

[/ QUOTE ]

If the reason they are so deathly silent the last 2 weeks (approximately) is that they are tired of the whining, tired of the grief, then they are behaving in a totally unprofessional manner IMO. If they had handled the re-desing in a proper professional manner to begin with, and more carefully thought out the strategy for the refurbishment of the game, they would not have run into these problems. I don't blame the developers (as individuals) for this, as I suspect that EA the corporation gave them specific and probably unreasonable mandates as to what was expected from the team in a specific amount of time. However, the entire re-design has been poorly executed from the start.

G

<blockquote><hr>

I hate to see people complain

[/ QUOTE ]

same here ... instead of whining and pancakes about it , please .. help. Give the devs more and more suggestions on how to improve stuff, different strategies, techniques, features, deal with problems... .

G

To no one in particular:

Dev Bashing.

Why would the devs respond when all the do is deal with BS from players. In all the online games I've played, I have never seen a dev team get crucified so much. Especially when they are trying to save something that you want to play.

Go think on that before you decide to slam a dev again.

N

Natedawg26

<blockquote><hr>

To no one in particular:

Dev Bashing.

Why would the devs respond when all the do is deal with BS from players. In all the online games I've played, I have never seen a dev team get crucified so much. Especially when they are trying to save something that you want to play.

[/ QUOTE ]

exactly.,..well said.. if they wanted too they could pull the plug right now and then this whole site for the most part would be pointless cause the game itself would finally be gone...and what exactly would you do to stop them dev bashers? pancake on your myspace blog? change your facebook status to "Pissed at EA Devs" *Updated 24 Mins Ago*?

I know they havent exactly made the next "Second Life" here (even though im not exactly a fan of the game it works for alot of people) but they are at least trying to save something that we all love otherwise we wouldnt even be on stratics.....EA Land went live only about 3 months ago for god sakes and for the most part their doing a pretty good job...not exactly "fantastic" but you try turning around a whole game with only 30 devs....this game has been screwed for years....rome wasnt built in a day people

S

Sidfrmea-lan

the devs are here to reply to the gamer till they do people are gonna bash on them all the time we try and ask simple questions like when is amenstry and what do we get "SILENCE" from them like we are being ignored this is bad customer service like they did to us before and one time someone is gonna file a lawsuit against them and ill laugh when it happens cuse the put down in print when something is but they never do it and that is called slander and yes this can be filed as a lawsuit i looked it up on the internet so before ya go say in im noobling i looked up and researched this on the internet ya can do the same thing

G

<blockquote><hr>

the devs are here to reply to the gamer till they do people are gonna bash on them all the time we try and ask simple questions like when is amenstry and what do we get "SILENCE" from them like we are being ignored this is bad customer service like they did to us before and one time someone is gonna file a lawsuit against them and ill laugh when it happens cuse the put down in print when something is but they never do it and that is called slander and yes this can be filed as a lawsuit i looked it up on the internet so before ya go say in im noobling i looked up and researched this on the internet ya can do the same thing

[/ QUOTE ]

The Dev's are not here to reply to the posters.
The Dev's job is to get the game up and running and work on issues that come up and fix things that need fixing. They are not here to pacify any of us.
There job isn't to troll the forums looking for post and to respond to them.
If people have a problem with the game then email them, this has been said enough times that this is the best way to get their attention.
Did anyone ever stop and think that the Dev's are hard at work so that when the projected date of April 30th rolls around that amnesty will take place?
No I am sure many haven't even considered it.
The Dev's have plenty on their plates to deal with and I can guarantee you that trolling the forum isn't on the top of their list of priorities. I am sure they look at the post, but just because they don't respond doesn't mean they aren't taking into consideration the many concerns of the players.
Let's give them the benefit of the doubt here. When the projected date rolls by and nothing has happened...then come back and state your concerns.
I do miss their updates, but even in one of my own post I rethought things and stated so that we and that includes me should be patient and wait.
When you talk about looking things you find on the internet, why not add a link so we can all read this information?

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

The Dev's are not here to reply to the posters.
The Dev's job is to get the game up and running and work on issues that come up and fix things that need fixing. They are not here to pacify any of us.
There job isn't to troll the forums looking for post and to respond to them.
If people have a problem with the game then email them, this has been said enough times that this is the best way to get their attention.
Did anyone ever stop and think that the Dev's are hard at work so that when the projected date of April 30th rolls around that amnesty will take place?
No I am sure many haven't even considered it.
The Dev's have plenty on their plates to deal with and I can guarantee you that trolling the forum isn't on the top of their list of priorities. I am sure they look at the post, but just because they don't respond doesn't mean they aren't taking into consideration the many concerns of the players.
Let's give them the benefit of the doubt here. When the projected date rolls by and nothing has happened...then come back and state your concerns.
I do miss their updates, but even in one of my own post I rethought things and stated so that we and that includes me should be patient and wait.
When you talk about looking things you find on the internet, why not add a link so we can all read this information?

[/ QUOTE ]

Amen!!

W

Wizuss

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

Ouch. This was extremely difficult to read. However having said that I feel the urge to try to clarify a couple of things in your post. Firstly, ranting at them for poor "customer service?" They are game developers - not Customer Service Representatives. Would you take your car to a Linen Shop for an oil change? I highly doubt it . . . and as has been pointed out already, the developers were not hired to babysit us - they were hired to _develop_the_game.
Secondly and lastly, defamation in print form is libel, not slander. Slander is when you bash someone verbally and cause them hardship which impacts their livelihood. Access to information has been made much easier with the advent of the world wide web, yes - but that doesn't mean it's accurate.

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

Ouch. This was extremely difficult to read. However having said that I feel the urge to try to clarify a couple of things in your post. Firstly, ranting at them for poor "customer service?" They are game developers - not Customer Service Representatives. Would you take your car to a Linen Shop for an oil change? I highly doubt it . . . and as has been pointed out already, the developers were not hired to babysit us - they were hired to _develop_the_game.
Secondly and lastly, defamation in print form is libel, not slander. Slander is when you bash someone verbally and cause them hardship which impacts their livelihood. Access to information has been made much easier with the advent of the world wide web, yes - but that doesn't mean it's accurate.

[/ QUOTE ]

Double Amen!!

G

Lawsuit?? Good luck with that. I give you the Terms of Service.

Regarding your claims slander is a specific legal term:

SYLLABICATION: slan·der
PRONUNCIATION: slndr
NOUN: 1. Law Oral communication of false statements injurious to a person's reputation. 2. A false and malicious statement or report about someone.
VERB: Inflected forms: slan·dered, slan·der·ing, slan·ders

TRANSITIVE VERB: To utter a slander about. See synonyms at malign.
INTRANSITIVE VERB: To utter or spread slander.
ETYMOLOGY: Middle English slaundre, from Old French esclandre, alteration of escandle, from Latin scandalum, cause of offense, stumbling block. See scandal.
OTHER FORMS: slander·er —NOUN
slander·ous —ADJECTIVE
slander·ous·ly —ADVERB

Unless EA has said something about you publicly this does not apply. I have to wonder what their legal team may have to say about some of the dev bashing posts on these forums and the blog.

Regarding the customers legal rights in the game:

Beta tests:

All Beta Tests (Closed And Open):
(1) As a beta tester, you are invited to play beta games for the sole purpose of evaluating the games and identifying errors. Nothing in this Agreement, or on this site, shall be construed as granting you any rights or privileges of any kind with respect to the beta games or content that you find here. The beta games are provided for testing on an "as is" "as available" basis and we make no warranty to you of any kind, express or implied.

(2) When playing some beta games, you may accumulate treasure, experience points, equipment, or other value or status indicators. This data may be reset at any time during the testing process, and it may be reset when the particular game completes this testing phase. In this case, all player history and data will be erased and each player will return to novice status.

(3) By selecting a "Play" button to start a beta game, you agree that: (i) playing beta games is at your own risk and that you know that the games may include known or unknown bugs, (ii) any value or status indicators that you achieve through game play may be erased at any time, (iii) EA has no obligation to make these games available for play without charge for any period of time, nor to make them available at all, (iv) these games may be available only by subscription once the testing process is complete or at any time in the future; (v) EA’s Terms of Service apply to your use of the games during the testing phase, and (vi) if it is a closed beta test, you will keep all information about the beta games confidential as stated above and not disclose such information to any other person.

(4) Beta Test accounts are non-transferable under any circumstances

6. LIMITATIONS ON WARRANTY AND LIABILITY.

TO THE MAXIMUM EXTENT PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW, YOU EXPRESSLY AGREE THAT THE USE OF EA ONLINE, EA ONLINE SOFTWARE, AND THE INTERNET IS AT YOUR SOLE RISK. EA ONLINE, EA ONLINE SOFTWARE, EA’S PRODUCTS AND SERVICES, THIRD-PARTY SERVICES AND PRODUCTS ARE PROVIDED ON AN "AS IS" AND "AS AVAILABLE" BASIS FOR YOUR USE, WITHOUT WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, UNLESS SUCH WARRANTIES ARE LEGALLY INCAPABLE OF EXCLUSION. EA PROVIDES THE SERVICE ON A COMMERCIALLY REASONABLE BASIS AND DOES NOT GUARANTEE THAT YOU WILL BE ABLE TO ACCESS OR USE THE SERVICE AT TIMES OR LOCATIONS OF YOUR CHOOSING, OR THAT EA WILL HAVE ADEQUATE CAPACITY FOR THE SERVICE AS A WHOLE OR IN ANY SPECIFIC GEOGRAPHIC AREA.

TO THE MAXIMUM EXTENT PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW, YOU ACKNOWLEDGE AND AGREE THAT YOUR SOLE AND EXCLUSIVE REMEDY FOR ANY DISPUTE WITH EA OR ITS LICENSORS IS TO STOP USING THE SERVICE, AND TO CANCEL YOUR ACCOUNT) YOU ACKNOWLEDGE AND AGREE THAT EA, ITS SUBSIDIARIES, LICENSORS AND AFFILIATES ARE NOT LIABLE FOR ANY ACT OR FAILURE TO ACT BY THEM OR ANY OTHER PERSON REGARDING CONDUCT, COMMUNICATION OR CONTENT ON THE SERVICE OR USE OF EA ONLINE SOFTWARE. IN NO CASE SHALL EA OR ITS SUBSIDIARIES, LICENSORS, AFFILIATES', EMPLOYEES', OFFICERS', OR DIRECTORS' (COLLECTIVELY, "EA AFFILIATES") LIABILITY TO YOU EXCEED THE AMOUNT THAT YOU PAID TO EA FOR THE SERVICE. IN NO CASE SHALL EA OR EA ONLINE AFFILIATES BE LIABLE FOR INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES ARISING FROM YOUR USE OF EA ONLINE, EA ONLINE SOFTWARE, THE INTERNET OR FOR ANY OTHER CLAIM RELATED IN ANY WAY TO YOUR USE OF OR MEMBERSHIP WITH EA ONLINE. BECAUSE SOME STATES OR JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OR THE LIMITATION OF LIABILITY FOR CONSEQUENTIAL OR INCIDENTAL DAMAGES, IN SUCH STATES OR JURISDICTIONS, EA’S AND EA ONLINE AFFILIATES' LIABILITY SHALL BE LIMITED TO THE FULL EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW. EA DOES NOT ENDORSE, WARRANT OR GUARANTEE ANY THIRD PARTY PRODUCT OR SERVICE OFFERED THROUGH EA ONLINE AND WILL NOT BE A PARTY TO OR IN ANY WAY BE RESPONSIBLE FOR MONITORING ANY TRANSACTION BETWEEN YOU AND THIRD-PARTY PROVIDERS OF PRODUCTS OR SERVICES.

Notwithstanding the foregoing, nothing contained in this Agreement limits EA’s liability to you for fraudulent misrepresentations, death or personal injury caused by EA’s negligence, or any other liability to the extent such liability cannot be excluded or limited as a matter of applicable law.

So in reading the ToS this lasty paragraph is about the best you can hope for. Altho I doubt it would be an easy task to prove this. Maybe if you can afford an attorney that is willing to battle EA over your $9.99. Of course there is the paragraph above that states that EA or you may cancel the acct at any time for any reason. Threatening legal action would seem like a good way to get your acct cancelled.

I

imported_CherryBomb

I am tired of the dev bashing. I am also tired of the knee-jerk response to the dev bashing. People, you do not have to respond to *every* post you disagree with, please. The constant bickering is making the boards almost unreadable. I am not a mod, so I can't order y'all to put a lid on it, but a good half of what I read these days sure looks like personal attacks to me, so I'm asking nicely to ease up a bit.

Also, if you absolutely must get in a retort, please (for my sake) go to the trouble to quote only the section of the text you are responding to. It's a little more work, but it makes it much easier to follow the argument, and keeps the thread from getting clogged up with huge nested quotes.

CherryBomb

I

imported_Spacey

In this forum you are gonna see Dev bashing and Dev buttkissing... the whole lovely spectrum. Might as well deal with it.

I do.

It's not that hard.

G

<blockquote><hr>

Lawsuit?? Good luck with that. I give you the Terms of Service.

Regarding your claims slander is a specific legal term:

SYLLABICATION: slan·der
PRONUNCIATION: slndr
NOUN: 1. Law Oral communication of false statements injurious to a person's reputation. 2. A false and malicious statement or report about someone.
VERB: Inflected forms: slan·dered, slan·der·ing, slan·ders

TRANSITIVE VERB: To utter a slander about. See synonyms at malign.
INTRANSITIVE VERB: To utter or spread slander.
ETYMOLOGY: Middle English slaundre, from Old French esclandre, alteration of escandle, from Latin scandalum, cause of offense, stumbling block. See scandal.
OTHER FORMS: slander·er —NOUN
slander·ous —ADJECTIVE
slander·ous·ly —ADVERB

Unless EA has said something about you publicly this does not apply. I have to wonder what their legal team may have to say about some of the dev bashing posts on these forums and the blog.

Regarding the customers legal rights in the game:

Beta tests:

All Beta Tests (Closed And Open):
(1) As a beta tester, you are invited to play beta games for the sole purpose of evaluating the games and identifying errors. Nothing in this Agreement, or on this site, shall be construed as granting you any rights or privileges of any kind with respect to the beta games or content that you find here. The beta games are provided for testing on an "as is" "as available" basis and we make no warranty to you of any kind, express or implied.

(2) When playing some beta games, you may accumulate treasure, experience points, equipment, or other value or status indicators. This data may be reset at any time during the testing process, and it may be reset when the particular game completes this testing phase. In this case, all player history and data will be erased and each player will return to novice status.

(3) By selecting a "Play" button to start a beta game, you agree that: (i) playing beta games is at your own risk and that you know that the games may include known or unknown bugs, (ii) any value or status indicators that you achieve through game play may be erased at any time, (iii) EA has no obligation to make these games available for play without charge for any period of time, nor to make them available at all, (iv) these games may be available only by subscription once the testing process is complete or at any time in the future; (v) EA’s Terms of Service apply to your use of the games during the testing phase, and (vi) if it is a closed beta test, you will keep all information about the beta games confidential as stated above and not disclose such information to any other person.

(4) Beta Test accounts are non-transferable under any circumstances

6. LIMITATIONS ON WARRANTY AND LIABILITY.

TO THE MAXIMUM EXTENT PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW, YOU EXPRESSLY AGREE THAT THE USE OF EA ONLINE, EA ONLINE SOFTWARE, AND THE INTERNET IS AT YOUR SOLE RISK. EA ONLINE, EA ONLINE SOFTWARE, EA’S PRODUCTS AND SERVICES, THIRD-PARTY SERVICES AND PRODUCTS ARE PROVIDED ON AN "AS IS" AND "AS AVAILABLE" BASIS FOR YOUR USE, WITHOUT WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, UNLESS SUCH WARRANTIES ARE LEGALLY INCAPABLE OF EXCLUSION. EA PROVIDES THE SERVICE ON A COMMERCIALLY REASONABLE BASIS AND DOES NOT GUARANTEE THAT YOU WILL BE ABLE TO ACCESS OR USE THE SERVICE AT TIMES OR LOCATIONS OF YOUR CHOOSING, OR THAT EA WILL HAVE ADEQUATE CAPACITY FOR THE SERVICE AS A WHOLE OR IN ANY SPECIFIC GEOGRAPHIC AREA.

TO THE MAXIMUM EXTENT PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW, YOU ACKNOWLEDGE AND AGREE THAT YOUR SOLE AND EXCLUSIVE REMEDY FOR ANY DISPUTE WITH EA OR ITS LICENSORS IS TO STOP USING THE SERVICE, AND TO CANCEL YOUR ACCOUNT) YOU ACKNOWLEDGE AND AGREE THAT EA, ITS SUBSIDIARIES, LICENSORS AND AFFILIATES ARE NOT LIABLE FOR ANY ACT OR FAILURE TO ACT BY THEM OR ANY OTHER PERSON REGARDING CONDUCT, COMMUNICATION OR CONTENT ON THE SERVICE OR USE OF EA ONLINE SOFTWARE. IN NO CASE SHALL EA OR ITS SUBSIDIARIES, LICENSORS, AFFILIATES', EMPLOYEES', OFFICERS', OR DIRECTORS' (COLLECTIVELY, "EA AFFILIATES") LIABILITY TO YOU EXCEED THE AMOUNT THAT YOU PAID TO EA FOR THE SERVICE. IN NO CASE SHALL EA OR EA ONLINE AFFILIATES BE LIABLE FOR INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES ARISING FROM YOUR USE OF EA ONLINE, EA ONLINE SOFTWARE, THE INTERNET OR FOR ANY OTHER CLAIM RELATED IN ANY WAY TO YOUR USE OF OR MEMBERSHIP WITH EA ONLINE. BECAUSE SOME STATES OR JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OR THE LIMITATION OF LIABILITY FOR CONSEQUENTIAL OR INCIDENTAL DAMAGES, IN SUCH STATES OR JURISDICTIONS, EA’S AND EA ONLINE AFFILIATES' LIABILITY SHALL BE LIMITED TO THE FULL EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW. EA DOES NOT ENDORSE, WARRANT OR GUARANTEE ANY THIRD PARTY PRODUCT OR SERVICE OFFERED THROUGH EA ONLINE AND WILL NOT BE A PARTY TO OR IN ANY WAY BE RESPONSIBLE FOR MONITORING ANY TRANSACTION BETWEEN YOU AND THIRD-PARTY PROVIDERS OF PRODUCTS OR SERVICES.

Notwithstanding the foregoing, nothing contained in this Agreement limits EA’s liability to you for fraudulent misrepresentations, death or personal injury caused by EA’s negligence, or any other liability to the extent such liability cannot be excluded or limited as a matter of applicable law.

So in reading the ToS this lasty paragraph is about the best you can hope for. Altho I doubt it would be an easy task to prove this. Maybe if you can afford an attorney that is willing to battle EA over your $9.99. Of course there is the paragraph above that states that EA or you may cancel the acct at any time for any reason. Threatening legal action would seem like a good way to get your acct cancelled.

[/ QUOTE ]
To which, I would like to add:
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!

OTOH, I believe that Nate is right and we should stop bashing the devs - but - since I would not want to see anyone injure themselves trying to hold back the anger, I suggest we all start bashing *Nate* instead. [thumbsup]

G

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]Ummmm... Yeah. Good luck with that...

*twitch*

*twitch twitch*

I

imported_corpatortis

Ummm just throwing this out there..

Dev is short for developer. Not your personal pancake. In most games you have no access to the people who code the product so be thankful for the opportunity.

All of the EA staff I have met are really nice and no doubt work ridiculous hours.. and do take somethings personally.

But I will admit that I laugh when these people come and say they HATE this and that. Then don't pay to play! LOL. Oh. look. I laughed again.

G

<blockquote><hr>

Dev Bashing.

[/ QUOTE ]
I've played other online games and in one particular case, the community was much, much larger and the bashing was worse.

It did not make the game any better though.

All it did was feed the other bashers and get them worked up to a point their they said something stupid on the forums and got a "vacation". And with that game, a vacation from the forums meant a vacation from the game too.

I

imported_DutchAmerica

<blockquote><hr>

To no one in particular:

Dev Bashing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe the devs have done the same thing I've done.

Walked away from a forum that used to have a purpose. Though posters at Stratics were upset over conditions, many times we didn't agree on thing but were always able to rally a constructive response.

From what I've read over this morning, I'm glad I walked away. THIS is NOT a community I would refer a newcomer to and I don't.

So I am concentrating on doing my own thing on the game and leaving forum people out of it. The devs are probably concentrating on what they have to do also. I wouldn't blame them if they never said another word here.

So back to life. Wonder how bad this forum will get by next month when I come back to read threads?

G

Most of the 'dev bashing' is actually their own fault, in either making changes that are obviously bad for the direction of the game, or (as it seems here) lack of communication.

If they're too busy to communicate with us, that's not our fault. If it's what one or more members of the team are paid to do, then they're not doing their job.

If they're overworked, then either they're not up to the job - or there aren't enough staff. Neither of which should be our problem.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. EA is not an online game company. They write it, box it, sell it, forget it. Of that there is no denying they are a success. But their corporate mentality is just not geared around taking care of the individual that plays their game, and giving adequate support to engage the wider community.

It's been that way for the five years of TSO's existance... why does anyone think that there's going to be a magical change to that?

G

You are seriously faulting them for getting crucified on these boards on a daily basis? They are here saving the game, not destroying it.

G

<blockquote><hr>

You are seriously faulting them for getting crucified on these boards on a daily basis? They are here saving the game, not destroying it.

[/ QUOTE ]
I hardly think that you can compare a 2000 year old death penalty with the unhappiness of players with the way they are being messed about with and ignored.

If the team aren't up to the job - which, by the way, includes communicating with its players the last time I heard what was required - then they need to either get their act together, or step aside and let someone else take on that role that can.

Granted, it's probably the suits above the team that are dictating to them what they can and can't say, but as they don't have the guts to come here we have no other option to vent our frustration to those that do (or at least are supposed to) and hope they can somehow pass it on.

R

Roger Wilco

Majestic, EnB, MCO, UO, and TSO aren't exactly ringing endorsements for their ability to pull off EA-Land.

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]
I hardly think that you can compare a 2000 year old death penalty with the unhappiness of players with the way they are being messed about with and ignored.

If the team aren't up to the job - which, by the way, includes communicating with its players the last time I heard what was required - then they need to either get their act together, or step aside and let someone else take on that role that can.

Granted, it's probably the suits above the team that are dictating to them what they can and can't say, but as they don't have the guts to come here we have no other option to vent our frustration to those that do (or at least are supposed to) and hope they can somehow pass it on.

[/ QUOTE ]

All speculation at this point. To assume that any body who has a job can simply not posting on a forum because they are scared or don't have the guts is absolutely absurd. I assure you I have been afraid of many things in my life....
The boogie man
Being Mugged
Being blown up in another terrorist attack....
I have never been afraid of a bunch of grouchy people who play an online version of dollhouse...and I'm pretty sure the dev team isn't either.

I am confident that it has nothing to do with not having guts or having their feelings hurt.

And Ronin... don't expect logic from the pathologically illogical.

G

<blockquote><hr>

Majestic, EnB, MCO, UO, and TSO aren't exactly ringing endorsements for their ability to pull off EA-Land.

[/ QUOTE ]Haven't EA tried to "update and 3D" UO, which has also gone down like a plate of ham sandwiches at a barmitzvah?

I looked up "Majestic" because I hadn't heard of it - it was from 2001. I rather liked this quote:

"Of the 800,000 people who started to register for the free, first installment of the game, only 71,200 completed the process. That number fell to 10,000 to 15,000 subscribers when it came time to pay. It was a grand experiment, but one that ultimately cost EA between $5 million and $7 million. EA expects to shut the game down completely by the middle of next year."

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wrong again. Developers make the game. They are not responsible for nor do they have to share any information with us. That isn't their job. They make the game. Communication is not their specialty, if it was they would be in customer service making a lot less money.

O and LMAO!! They don't have the guts!!

I

imported_Shirl1211

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

</font>

www.TSO-E.com/blog
www.game-blueprints.com

[/ QUOTE ]
Taken from here

[/ QUOTE ]

If the reason they are so deathly silent the last 2 weeks (approximately) is that they are tired of the whining, tired of the grief, then they are behaving in a totally unprofessional manner IMO. If they had handled the re-desing in a proper professional manner to begin with, and more carefully thought out the strategy for the refurbishment of the game, they would not have run into these problems. I don't blame the developers (as individuals) for this, as I suspect that EA the corporation gave them specific and probably unreasonable mandates as to what was expected from the team in a specific amount of time. However, the entire re-design has been poorly executed from the start.

[/ QUOTE ]

I absolutely disagree with you. Nowhere does it say that the Dev's have to even communicate with us. They we're doing this on their own just to add a little unity since that was one of the big gripes about TSO. I don't blame them a bit for not wanting to share any info with us anymore just for the simple fact that when they do, the lame brained crybabies jump all over them and try to discredit
them in anyway they can. I don't hold nothing against then for remaining silent. They work to damn hard to have to come to this forum and read how their not doing enough and they don't care, ect. Some of them think they have bought the 51st state with their $9.99 a month and they really need to back off and get themselves a life. I am so glad i'm not their neighbor.

G

<blockquote><hr>

These are my thoughts exactly on the lack of communication from the devs, its certainly not negative and im getting tired of the harsh negativity when april 30th hasnt even passed yet...when that day passes and its around may 4th and 5th and we still havent heard anything or gotten any gifts then I will panic until then read this short blog

Lack of Communication

[/ QUOTE ]
I'll tell ya what *I'm* tired of:

I'm tired of those who assume the devs are slaves whose only purpose is to serve our gaming gluttony.

I'm tired of those who assume the devs are gods to be worshipped for their unselfish devotion to our gaming gluttony.

I'm tired of the devs not giving us some basic info so we can better satisfy our gaming gluttony.

I'm tired of the gaming gluttony.

Huh? What pattern????

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

Lack of Communication

[/ QUOTE ]
I'll tell ya what *I'm* tired of:

I'm tired of those who assume the devs are slaves whose only purpose is to serve our gaming gluttony.

I'm tired of those who assume the devs are gods to be worshipped for their unselfish devotion to our gaming gluttony.

I'm tired of the devs not giving us some basic info so we can better satisfy our gaming gluttony.

I'm tired of the gaming gluttony.

Huh? What pattern????

[/ QUOTE ]

IDK I'm kind of a fan of gluttony... when it pertains to me at least.

And you are right, EA employees are not Gods to be worshiped. They are just people doing a job. They do what they are told... just like the rest of us.

Well... Parizad is a goddess (I have proof) for other reasons... but like... that has nothing to do with her position at EA... and we already determined she is not a dev.

But it makes me wonder about the bashers in rl.

I wonder if they are really perfect at their jobs and able to please all of the people all of the time.
It'd be an interesting thing to see.

I

imported_Shirl1211

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

The one thing your lacking with your accusations on slander is that before a lawsuit would be seriously considered by any law firm is evidence of untruths being said about you personally. I highly doubt that any of the EA staff has done this to you or anyone else in this forum. Their not that ignorant. That just cracks me up when people like yourself threaten lawsuits. Perhaps you need to go and look up the defintion on slander before your next post.

G

<blockquote><hr>

i looked up and researched this on the internet ya can do the same thing

[/ QUOTE ]

link plz

G

[quote

Nowhere does it say that the Dev's have to even communicate with us. They we're doing this on their own just to add a little unity since that was one of the big gripes about TSO. I don't blame them a bit for not wanting to share any info with us anymore just for the simple fact that when they do, the lame brained crybabies jump all over them and try to discredit
them in anyway they can. I don't hold nothing against then for remaining silent. They work to damn hard to have to come to this forum and read how their not doing enough and they don't care, ect. Some of them think they have bought the 51st state with their $9.99 a month and they really need to back off and get themselves a life. I am so glad i'm not their neighbor.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am confused by your statement. I was under the impression that this game was in the testing stage. Are we not supposed to know what needs testing or are you saying that we now need to be mind readers?
When I took part in the Beta testing of TSO,we were fully informed at every stage.
Maybe the devs have orders to make this game what EA want it to be and are doing the testing internally.

I

imported_Shirl1211

<blockquote><hr>

[quote

Nowhere does it say that the Dev's have to even communicate with us. They we're doing this on their own just to add a little unity since that was one of the big gripes about TSO. I don't blame them a bit for not wanting to share any info with us anymore just for the simple fact that when they do, the lame brained crybabies jump all over them and try to discredit

[/ QUOTE ]

I am confused by your statement. I was under the impression that this game was in the testing stage. Are we not supposed to know what needs testing or are you saying that we now need to be mind readers?
When I took part in the Beta testing of TSO,we were fully informed at every stage.
Maybe the devs have orders to make this game what EA want it to be and are doing the testing internally.

[/ QUOTE ]

I do not believe there is anything written in blood that states that they have to communicate with us. Maybe there is and I just haven't found it. But testing or not, looking at it from the Dev's point of view, they gave us a date on amnesty which I believe is April 30th. I'm sure that any big issues that arrise with be shared with us as well but not required. As far as coming into this forum and to enlighten us of the up and coming features, no, they are not obligated to tell us anything in here. When they have made comments in here, it was strictly to offer some kind of help whether it be as a group or individual.

I

imported_Shirl1211

<blockquote><hr>

Most of the 'dev bashing' is actually their own fault, in either making changes that are obviously bad for the direction of the game, or (as it seems here) lack of communication.

If they're too busy to communicate with us, that's not our fault. If it's what one or more members of the team are paid to do, then they're not doing their job.

If they're overworked, then either they're not up to the job - or there aren't enough staff. Neither of which should be our problem.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. EA is not an online game company. They write it, box it, sell it, forget it. Of that there is no denying they are a success. But their corporate mentality is just not geared around taking care of the individual that plays their game, and giving adequate support to engage the wider community.

It's been that way for the five years of TSO's existance... why does anyone think that there's going to be a magical change to that?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not trying to be rude to you, but have you ever said anything nice about the people who are responsible for putting this game together? If you have I must have missed it, and if you dislike everything about the game, why do you play it?

G

<blockquote><hr>

Not trying to be rude to you, but have you ever said anything nice about the people who are responsible for putting this game together? If you have I must have missed it, and if you dislike everything about the game, why do you play it?

[/ QUOTE ]When they do something worthy of praise in my opinion, I shall do so. So far, they haven't. It's all too little, too late, and in all honesty I'm just waiting around for the shutdown notice so I can say "I was there" when they pull the plug on the last day.

Why do I still log in? Because TSO is far easier to play than WoW or SL, requires less concentration, and TSO was the first online game I ever played, still quite attached to my little pixellated me after nearly 5 years.